Believe

Post your reality fanfiction here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

liberonscien
-ce

Believe

Postby liberonscien » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:41 am UTC

What would life be like if the universe shaped itself to reflect the shared beliefs of its inhabitants?
Warning: This user is currently questioning its beliefs. This user offers its sincerest apologies if it accidentally offends another user. This user never offends others on purpose and may accidentally offend other users because it lacks knowledge regarding how to be a normal human.

Flumble
Yes Man

Re: Believe

Postby Flumble » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:46 am UTC

As a solipsist, I believe the universe would be pretty much the same.

Or do you mean "shared beliefs" as in "agreed upon by all inhabitants" and assuming solipsists are wrong? Then the universe probably would stop working as soon as people learn classical mechanics and think it works on all scales*, because then relativity and the weak and strong forces would stop existing. Or they never existed in the first place and only started existing when people started believing their wrong measurements. :shock:

*insert "even the bathroom scale? because I surely can't be that heavy" joke

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:51 am UTC

liberonscien wrote:What would life be like if the universe shaped itself to reflect the shared beliefs of its inhabitants?

Discworld.
Discord for Forum Games posters
(Please let me know if the link doesn't work)
----
----
Carlington wrote:flicky has done it
portmanteau of poo and post
the truest "shit"-post

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:52 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:
liberonscien wrote:What would life be like if the universe shaped itself to reflect the shared beliefs of its inhabitants?

Discworld.

I turtally agree.

liberonscien
-ce

Postby liberonscien » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:16 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:As a solipsist, I believe the universe would be pretty much the same.

Or do you mean "shared beliefs" as in "agreed upon by all inhabitants" and assuming solipsists are wrong? Then the universe probably would stop working as soon as people learn classical mechanics and think it works on all scales*, because then relativity and the weak and strong forces would stop existing. Or they never existed in the first place and only started existing when people started believing their wrong measurements. :shock:

*insert "even the bathroom scale? because I surely can't be that heavy" joke

This.
Warning: This user is currently questioning its beliefs. This user offers its sincerest apologies if it accidentally offends another user. This user never offends others on purpose and may accidentally offend other users because it lacks knowledge regarding how to be a normal human.

liberonscien
-ce

Postby liberonscien » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:16 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:

Discworld.

I am not familiar with this.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:27 pm UTC

liberonscien wrote:I am not familiar with this.

One of the fundamental rules of the universe in the Discworld series of novels by Terry Pratchett is that the world works the way it does because people believe it. The world is flat, orbited by the sun. All gods exist; the Tooth Fairy and bogeymen exist. In the plot of one novel, one god loses all his power because almost no-one actually believes in him any more - they believe in the religion, and the rule of the church, but not the god behind it. In another, not enough children believe in the Hogfather (the equivalent of Santa Claus) any more, so he stops existing - Death takes over the job for a while.

Death actually takes vacations a couple of times, one time resulting in no-one in the world dying until he takes on the job again. But that can only happen because he's an anthropomorphic personification of death (with the skull face and scythe) - if people didn't think of Death that way, then death as a process would function without him. It's only because people believe he's necessary that it all goes wrong without him.
----
----
the truest "shit"-post

liberonscien
-ce

Postby liberonscien » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:28 am UTC

flicky1991 wrote:
liberonscien wrote:I am not familiar with this.

One of the fundamental rules of the universe in the Discworld series of novels by Terry Pratchett is that the world works the way it does because people believe it. The world is flat, orbited by the sun. All gods exist; the Tooth Fairy and bogeymen exist. In the plot of one novel, one god loses all his power because almost no-one actually believes in him any more - they believe in the religion, and the rule of the church, but not the god behind it. In another, not enough children believe in the Hogfather (the equivalent of Santa Claus) any more, so he stops existing - Death takes over the job for a while.

Death actually takes vacations a couple of times, one time resulting in no-one in the world dying until he takes on the job again. But that can only happen because he's an anthropomorphic personification of death (with the skull face and scythe) - if people didn't think of Death that way, then death as a process would function without him. It's only because people believe he's necessary that it all goes wrong without him.

Huh. That sounds pretty interesting.
Terry Pratchet, right?

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:33 am UTC

Yep.
----
----
the truest "shit"-post

liberonscien
-ce

Postby liberonscien » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:52 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:

Discworld.

Alright, what would happen if one day the universe started operating like that?

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:31 pm UTC

Perhaps Dr. Rjinswand, the renowned Swedish international expert in nuclear physics, might know...

liberonscien
-ce

Postby liberonscien » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:54 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Perhaps Dr. Rjinswand, the renowned Swedish international expert in nuclear physics, might know...

Are you trying to suggest that I Google this person?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:49 pm UTC

liberonscien wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:

Discworld.

Then the universe would probably start looking (even more) like has already been extensively described in these books.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

liberonscien
-ce

Postby liberonscien » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:44 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
liberonscien wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:

Discworld.

Then the universe would probably start looking (even more) like has already been extensively described in these books.

I should clarify: this universe.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:11 pm UTC

Perhaps you should read the Science of Discworld series. They pretty much answer your questions about this universe.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:17 pm UTC

liberonscien wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
liberonscien wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:

Discworld.

I should clarify: this universe.

The universe would probably start looking (even more) like has already been extensively described in those books, apart from the specific details of geography and race.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Return to “Fictional Science”