The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Sabrar

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:06 am UTC

Meta Mafia
Spoiler:
Please give us link to scum-chat.

Reactions after I get over being angry with myself.

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:55 am UTC

Meta Mafia II
Spoiler:
Sabrar wrote:Please give us link to scum-chat.

Scum chat will be shared after the game is over, if they all agree, and after they are given the opportunity to delete any posts they do not want to be made public.

Sabrar wrote:Reactions after I get over being angry with myself.

Please don’t be upset. You were brilliant. They were aiming for a power role.

Vicarin wrote:Oh well, good to know. Seeing how terrible my reads were, probably not a bad VT to have die :P

You did well too. If the lynch had swung to a power role, they would have had to claim to avoid the lynch, so you saved that power role for town.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:35 am UTC

Meta mafia

Spoiler:
How am I meant to argue with sabrar when someone nks them.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:36 am UTC

Meta Mafia
Spoiler:
bessie wrote:Please don’t be upset. You were brilliant. They were aiming for a power role.
Oh I get that, and it was totally intentional from my part.
But remind me again, WHY DID I WANT TO BE NK-D IN THE FIRST PLACE?????

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:40 am UTC

Meta Mafia II
Spoiler:
Sabrar wrote:But remind me again, WHY DID I WANT TO BE NK-D IN THE FIRST PLACE?????
Because you missed talking to me me me?

:)

No?

:(

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:42 am UTC

Meta Mafia
Spoiler:
bessie wrote:Because you missed talking to me me me?
More than you know. :wink:

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:07 am UTC

Meta Mafia II
Spoiler:
Ok, some mod musings. I don't want Sabrar to get too bored.

I think BoomFrog is mocking me here. Everyone knows I have difficulty with the killing aspect of this game; it’s been well documented. Here’s an example from Secret Santa.
bessie wrote:And as to why I waited so long this game to post in the Gojoe thread, last week I was too busy to make an epic first post. I felt a single sentence would not be sufficient for so grand an occasion, after a nearly two year build up. Then the weekend rolled around, and still no Gojoe post, as I was hit with the reality that I don’t like playing scum. Lynching someone is difficult enough, we all sign up because we want to play, and I hate removing someone from the game. The whole “killing” aspect just makes it more uncomfortable (shout out to Madge who has been trying to find different ways to remove players in the flavor other than lynching and killing, and to Deva who had a game with no killing, the expelled players simply went home). I understand that flavor is for fun, and I myself even wrote some pretty gnarly death scenes for MMM II. Anyhow I’m always a bit gloomy on D1 over the lynch/kill/kicking-someone-out-of-the-game thing regardless of alignment; it will pass after I get through the first cycle.

So I originally was going to not have any killing, and just find ways to have the players leave. But I didn’t plan my flavor out well enough. I only have the outline for the story, and I am writing the flavor as I go along, letting the game content inspire and guide me. I tried to write something up where the parents showed up and Vicarin didn’t die, but it just wasn’t working (all right it sucked). So I went the complete opposite direction (sorry your brains ended up splattered all over the place Vicarin). But at least I managed not to kill Sabrar, though I’m not sure he is very pleased with the alternative I found for him. :?

Vicarin wrote:What exactly would count as profanity for that restriction? I can't say I remember seeing any egregious swearing by anyone really.
Aw you’re being teased. Everyone here is pretty tame. :P

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:16 am UTC

MEta Mafia II

Spoiler:
I got a fruit!!!! So i know we only have two possible setups, and only one set of bad guys! YAY!

Thank you whoever gave me the fruit. I don't know what I did to deserve it (townie Bessie meta? just wanted to give me something interesting and FUN to look at today?), but I will gladly use it to confirm you.

I've made a breadcrumb post where the first word of each sentence spells "Saparot" because if you're going to breadcrumb do it in an english transliteration of Thai (สับปะรด), right? :lol: Bessie doesn't breadcrumb much but I AM MY OWN PERSON DAMNIT

Also i'm excited about my upcoming holiday and I AHVE TO KEEP THE EXCITEMENT IN AND IT IS KILLING ME, I want to post on the thread and be all giddy about so many things.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:10 pm UTC

Meta mafia

Spoiler:
why hasn't Madge claimed her pineapple!

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:29 pm UTC

Meta mafia
@boomfrog no spoilers
Spoiler:
At first glance I thought I posted here without realizing haha. Good luck :lol:
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:51 pm UTC

Meta mafia

Spoiler:
Really living the bessie meta: went to write a quick 5 minute post and ended up writing like 1.5 pages.

Sorry people who were enjoying my roleplay, I can tell this post is very D2 Madge.

And probably very obvious to SDK I received the fruit because that guy's clever
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:00 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:Meta mafia
@boomfrog no spoilers
Spoiler:
At first glance I thought I posted here without realizing haha. Good luck :lol:

Spoiler:
Mission accomplished haha. :lol:
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:43 pm UTC

Meta Mafia
Spoiler:
I <3 BoomFrog as heury. Not as much as I <3 real heury, of course. :P
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)
----

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:43 pm UTC

Meta Mafia
Spoiler:
Random thoughts in no particular order:

I'm glad people liked my impression of PW. It became harder and harder to stay in character though, so in some way I'm a bit relieved it's over.

I don't think the Fruit Vendor should be able to specify what kind of fruit they are sending as that can be used as an additional proof in case of a counter-claim (which I believe should be a valid strategy for scum at a given point)

bessie wrote:Hmmm, wouldn’t that have been the most epic game, though, with Sabrar and I playing each other.
We simply have to do this at some point. Let's say when we're Masons together? As if that will ever happen... :(

I knew town!LaserGuy would never find me townie so early... I simply have to learn which of my meta-reads to trust.

jimbob wrote:I was the one who originally suggested that the first person to receive fruit should claim.
I know I shouldn't be irritated by this but really??? This was brought up by me in literally the first post of the game... :evil:

threetwoone

Postby threetwoone » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:41 am UTC

Meta Mafia 2
Spoiler:
ay, i got like a one-liner mention
at least there's basically no chance of me dying in the plot now
Wait, Sabrar has just "left the game"? Does that mean he's effectively dead?
---Three Two One!---

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:43 am UTC

Meta Mafia
Spoiler:
threetwoone wrote:Wait, Sabrar has just "left the game"? Does that mean he's effectively dead?
You can tell that I'm dead by how I'm not talking in the thread anymore. :D But anyway, I was NK-d and bessie wrote an 'alternative explanation' for it.

wam

Postby wam » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:38 am UTC

Meta mafia

Spoiler:
there's a lot info spoilers out there! I also want to have a look at sabrar and vicarins posts as we are really bad at looking at dead townies views.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:36 am UTC

Meta Mafia
Spoiler:
I don't think the Fruit Vendor should be able to specify what kind of fruit they are sending as that can be used as an additional proof in case of a counter-claim (which I believe should be a valid strategy for scum at a given point)

Yeah, I didn't really think that through before I let wam choose the fruit. Oh well.

So people are talking about setup spec, and unfortunately there is a difference on the wiki page between the table and the list. Should I announce that in thread?
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:45 am UTC

Meta Mafia
Spoiler:
Diemo wrote:So people are talking about setup spec, and unfortunately there is a difference on the wiki page between the table and the list. Should I announce that in thread?
Seeing that this is supposed to be an open setup where the possible configurations are known to all I think you should clarify the situation.

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:53 am UTC

Meta mafia
Spoiler:
That was a loong night. I think this is the first game where I didn't have to make any decisions at night. Luckily N2 I get to pick a target.
If the descriptions were used for the setup instead of the table I'd know the exact setup. Only (1) has an even-night tracker in the descriptions. I hope more people start talking today. Feels like it's just me, wam, Madge and jimbob for now. I feel like Gojoe is almost busier than the game :shock:
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:57 pm UTC

Meta
Spoiler:
I have to stop reading the thread. Its getting painful. Scum are playing a good game but come on town the next target for lynch is obvious AF. Do etttt. Time for SDK to go.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:15 pm UTC

Meta Mafia
Spoiler:
After Dark Tower I really want SDK to be scum and for me to successfully lynch him. I want it so much, I really need to try and pull that out of my evaluation and look at things objectively. If he is town, it's seems really unlikely that he will be trusted at end game, and it's very unlikely he will be NKed, so unless he is a PR he will be lynched eventually, so better to get it out of the way early and get info out of it. And he's probably not a PR if he didn't have rolefishing in mind with the whole Mark PM thing...
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:22 pm UTC

Mark_Cangila wrote:Also, how do you ISO on this forum? I've been using ctrl + F on each page.
At the bottom of the page in the middle of the screen there is an option to sort the posts by author instead of time.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:06 pm UTC

Meta Mafia 2:
Spoiler:
Just noting this down before I forget, but I think I might have nailed two of the PRs: mpolo might have breadcrumbed tracker in this post, possibly indicating that he's going to track LaserGuy shortly, and I was the target of the jailkeeper last night, so I reckon freezeblade is that person (about the only one who found me suspicious), especially when combined with his earlier soft claim ("it would be very bad for town...").
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

wam

Postby wam » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:29 am UTC

Meta mafia

Spoiler:
I am struggling to see 3 scum in the game.makes me think they are probably experienced players/lurking

wam

Postby wam » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:49 am UTC

Meta mafia

Spoiler:
I have sabrar s problem. It's boring when he's dead!

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:00 am UTC

Meta Mafia II

Spoiler:
Sabrar wrote:I'm glad people liked my impression of PW. It became harder and harder to stay in character though, so in some way I'm a bit relieved it's over.
Yes I noticed where you started to slip here. You start out very Whale-y and end up very Sabrar-y.

Sabrar wrote:
bessie wrote:Hmmm, wouldn’t that have been the most epic game, though, with Sabrar and I playing each other.
We simply have to do this at some point. Let's say when we're Masons together? As if that will ever happen... :(
Oh hahaha that would be so totally funny to do during the next game, which will probably be super complex and non newbie friendly because it’s a jimbob WoT game. So everyone would be super confused anyway because IT’S A JIMBOB WoT GAME and we would both be acting like total assholes because we were impersonating each other. One of us would be policy lynched and the other one night killed because even scum would be frustrated if jimbob didn’t mod kill us both first and everyone would be so annoyed. :lol: :P

threetwoone wrote:ay, i got like a one-liner mention
at least there's basically no chance of me dying in the plot now
Wait, Sabrar has just "left the game"? Does that mean he's effectively dead?
I’m disappointed you had to leave the game threetwoone! I did my best to work you in here and here. But I’m glad to see you’re still following along, and I am looking forward to seeing you sign up for another game. Yes, Sabrar was night killed by the mafia. If you have any questions about the game, feel free to ask and me or someone will do our best to answer them.

And like WTF this post by wam? Like, did he really think Sabrar got tired of playing and dropped out? I would have totally scum read him for that post if I was playing.

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:05 am UTC

Meta Mafia II

Spoiler:
What, no spoilers for like 24 hours??? Well, I guess it's up to me. Gotta entertain the spectators. 8-) Some D2 thoughts:

Tsk tsk Madge, this is a very un bessie-like post, even if you did crib some phrases from my old content. :|

LaserMadge wrote: So Madge is claiming a fruit? I hope it's a delicious tropical one.
Holy crap how did LaserGuy pull this out? :shock: Madge is going to think he’s the fruit vendor. Well, at least until wam has to claim. :P

LaserMadge wrote:Plytho vs SDK makes my head hurt, but my gut is TvT. Reminds me of plytho/Bessie. Too much nitpickery and misunderstanding. And Too. Many. Words.
Interesting, this is totally me and plytho in Crossover, et al. plytho will keep insisting that he’s willing to drop it, but he has a hard time doing so unless he gets the last word, and SDK (like stubborn bessie) doesn’t want to give him the last word. :lol: Oh, I see the Voice of Reason weighed in here and here.

Hahaha LaserGuy just tops himself with every post, I don’t know how this could get any better. Oh wait, isn’t he supposed to do drunk Madge this week too??? :D

plybob wrote:
Vytron7277 wrote: perfectly logical people who always play optimally only exist in mathematical proofs.
Or they're the N1 kill :P
:shock: :(

BoomHeury wrote:Also, wam is pretty anti-freeze.
I am still smitten with this man. :lol: :P

But he’s still not my favorite. :wink:

plytho

Postby plytho » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:01 pm UTC

Meta mafia

Spoiler:
I have a fun fruit vendor strategy idea that I really hope is happening now:
Fruit vendor madge claims she received the fruit and breadcrumbs which fruit to the actual receiver. Mpolo for example, who was pretty high on her list. Receiver mpolo, because of the breadcrumb, now knows Madge is the actual fruit vendor. Madge herself isn't considered fruit vendor since she's the one who received it, confusing scum, who'll be looking elsewhere for a fruit vendor.

This also works (even better?) if she targeted Sabrar, but still wants to tell town there's a fruit vendor (contrary to her public statements). In this case there's not even a risk of counterclaim messing up the plan.

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:11 pm UTC

Meta
Spoiler:
@plytho - that would be very cool. Too bad it don't real.

I almost fainted when LG "hoped [the fruit] is a delicious tropical one." What a good guess for a very safe, soft claim! (Though it's almost certainly pinging wam.) I forget that they're only on D2 and wam hasn't had a chance to send another fruit yet. I hope he sends a durian.
There's a certain amount of freedom involved in cycling: you're self-propelled and decide exactly where to go. If you see something that catches your eye to the left, you can veer off there, which isn't so easy in a car, and you can't cover as much ground walking.

plytho

Postby plytho » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:38 pm UTC

Mata mafia
Spoiler:
Sweet, Liri must have just confirmed my theory!

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:40 pm UTC

Meta Mafia
Spoiler:
In the past I have also made the mistake of assuming that the content of a Gojoe spoiler was a confirmation of my theory. Once. It led to a complete disaster and I have vowed never to do it again. :)

@bessie: I sincerely apologize for neglecting you, became quite busy with a potential new job that would require me to relocate abroad. Still at initial stages of the interviews but it sounds very promising.

Liri

Postby Liri » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:31 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:Meta Mafia
Spoiler:
In the past I have also made the mistake of assuming that the content of a Gojoe spoiler was a confirmation of my theory. Once. It led to a complete disaster and I have vowed never to do it again. :)

Spoiler:
I was tempted to reply right to him, but it would defo look like, "no, sorry, wrong!" You're right though that he should be ignoring it no matter what.

Before another game starts though, I did have a question about how Gojoe posting is viewed. Is Day posting more townie while Night is more scummy/town PR? And it depends on whether town is aware of scum's chat restriction(s), too, right?
There's a certain amount of freedom involved in cycling: you're self-propelled and decide exactly where to go. If you see something that catches your eye to the left, you can veer off there, which isn't so easy in a car, and you can't cover as much ground walking.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:49 pm UTC

Meta Mafia
Spoiler:
@liri we should just get everyone that can to at mention him in a spoiler telling him he's wrong haha
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:09 pm UTC

Meta Mafia
Spoiler:
Liri wrote:Before another game starts though, I did have a question about how Gojoe posting is viewed. Is Day posting more townie while Night is more scummy/town PR? And it depends on whether town is aware of scum's chat restriction(s), too, right?
There is no hard rule. Most players ignore Gojoe posts completely and the few who pay attention to it all have their own ideas about what they represent. Also it depends on that particular player's habits.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:49 pm UTC

Meta Mafia II

Spoiler:
I think I actually could have built a case on LaserGuy if I weren't scummates with him. Jimbob and I have permission to bus of course, but I think going that far wouldn't be right. I did leave out the fact that he presciently said Sabrar was town in his first post of significance. Then again, maybe I'm only noticing these things since I already know he's scum.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:07 pm UTC

Meta Mafia II:
Spoiler:
Just spotted this post from wam. Possibly a fruit vendor slip? The way it's phrased is that the fruit itself acts as an innocent child mechanic, but at that point, only the fruit vendor probably knew that specific fruit could be given. Not sure, but possible target after we've killed mpolo and freezeblade...!
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Liri

Postby Liri » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:20 pm UTC

Meta
Spoiler:
I like mpolo's posts a lot. Sorry we killed you in Alien, sounds like it's about to happen again, here.

It's a shame plytho is tunneled so hard on SDK and SDK and freezeblade on each other.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:35 am UTC

Looking for a replacement for Meta Mafia II, please pm me and Diemo if interested.

Meta Mafia II (potential replacements should not read!)
Spoiler:
Liri wrote:I almost fainted when LG "hoped [the fruit] is a delicious tropical one." What a good guess for a very safe, soft claim! (Though it's almost certainly pinging wam.) I forget that they're only on D2 and wam hasn't had a chance to send another fruit yet. I hope he sends a durian.
I’m going to be interested to find out if LaserGuy just made a throwaway remark because he’s playing “Madge on vacation in Mexico” or if he actually thought about it and made an educated guess. I do not think wam’s choice of Madge and pineapple was random.

Sabrar wrote:@bessie: I sincerely apologize for neglecting you, became quite busy with a potential new job that would require me to relocate abroad. Still at initial stages of the interviews but it sounds very promising.
Aw that’s cute! You’re trying to move to California so you can be near me me me! :P

Sabrar wrote:
Liri wrote:Before another game starts though, I did have a question about how Gojoe posting is viewed. Is Day posting more townie while Night is more scummy/town PR? And it depends on whether town is aware of scum's chat restriction(s), too, right?
There is no hard rule. Most players ignore Gojoe posts completely and the few who pay attention to it all have their own ideas about what they represent. Also it depends on that particular player's habits.
Adding to what Sabrar said, really you should completely ignore what others are doing in Gojoe while you’re playing (and you yourself should post lot so the spectators stay entertained!). I suppose that there are meta tells like some players post more as town or scum and it correlates with day and night cycles, but I have never been good at meta tells, so I consider any Gojoe posting non alignment indicative. I myself tend to post in Gojoe more when I’m struggling or depressed, and I struggle as town or as scum so NAI. So I tend to ignore Gojoe, unless I see Deva or a lot of non-players posting because then I suspect that there has been some kind of request for modding advice and they’re working something out.

Sabrar wrote:In the past I have also made the mistake of assuming that the content of a Gojoe spoiler was a confirmation of my theory. Once. It led to a complete disaster and I have vowed never to do it again. :)

sorry about that.jpg
sorry about that.jpg (65.23 KiB) Viewed 1120 times

More later.

plytho

Postby plytho » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:30 pm UTC

Meta mafia:

Spoiler:
Here’s what I’m currently thinking:

Mpolo is the jailkeeper (moving from a slightly higher chance of 10 to we have jailkeeper). Also “We are certainly not guaranteed anything about the setup from what we know now, just one of the two is slightly more likely.” Kind of sounds like “we are not guaranteed anything, but I am though”
Freezeblade is vanilla town, but wants a useful death (no modkill or lynch) so heavily implies town-PR.
Madge is the fruit vendor, claiming the fruit to tell her recipient she’s the vendor and keeping herself out of scum crosshairs.

I am nailing this game! 8-)

Well, the town side of it. Scum may be SDK-LaserGuy-someone (boomfrog maybe? or master-busser wam?)

I'm gonna have to decide who to track tonight. If SDK is lynched I may track wam. If SDK is scum that's a win and a null on wam is fine, if SDK is town but I can track scum that's a win too!

Return to “Mafia”