The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Evil George Washington

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Evil George Washington » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:20 am UTC

I am still salty at that game, Zen. Was the first time I was punished for not looking hard at Marshy.

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:19 am UTC

Stallaris
Spoiler:
<3 u george. will be pissed if you were actually mafia though.

-If heury is mafia, then sabrar could be a godfather.
--this would explain why heury claimed, to try and draw out the actual cop to clear sabrar
--this would explain sabrars behavior d1 and his change in demeanor d2. he may have been trying to draw the cop investigation by being crazy. then no longer needed to act scummy when wam claimed inno on him.

-If bessie is mafia, sabrar is likely mafia
--he ignored my case on bessie just now
--he made that weird post in thinking bessie had been pushing madge when she hadn't

-both of those points could be explained away by a bessie/sabrar mason
-sabrar has for the most part looked towny ever since i stopped him from lynching vic, and i've come around to seeing his pov in thinking i was scum d1

-laser being scum is a possibility, but I've avoided approaching him so far for strategic purposes; i.e he's been a vote on my side. Some laser discrepancies:
--he voted me for having "a scummy opening post", but then later said that I had showed my town card early on. Going to ask him about this eventually**
--his comment about my pseudo exec order being funny. seems off somehow. honestly i didn't even have a plan with the pseudo exec order. i made all that up in my george post. i just did the exec order on a wim. but plytho and laser thinking i had intent gave me the idea to play it off as if i did hehe.
--i feel like vic's last post explained himself pretty well, but laser is still pushing him.
--town laser is all over the place and constantly reevaluating. but he's been sticking to his reads this game. that vic one in particular.
--why did he unvote madge d1?**

-actually just did a reread on laser and he still looks really town
--if heury is scum, laser looks really good for being the first on him d2, despite having town read him d1
---also asked somi his read on heury d1
--his reads seem well thought out and ive been able to follow every ounce of them. he's been so calm and collected throughout the game, which is actually what makes me so paranoid of him! this goes so against what I have seen of him, and goes more with his indy play!

-plytho. plytho.. i just don't know. he's a tough cookie to crack.
--i don't really see scum!plytho with scum!heury. plytho's whole clearing me thing has been based off something related to heury. and the fact that he's flipped back and forth so many times on the interpretation when new evidence comes to light, suggests that he is ignorant about heury's alignment
--why was madge so high in his first read list**
--like how quickly he changes the order in his read lists. makes me feel like hes thinking thing live and not worried about how his discrepancies will look.

**future zen, don't forget to ask these

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:24 am UTC

Stellaris @ george

Spoiler:
btw george read my first spoilered stellaris post

bessie

Postby bessie » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:00 am UTC

Stellaris Mafia

Spoiler:
So Gojoe thread Zen has caught me playing a poor game, but the reasons aren’t necessarily because I am scum. The reason is because like usual RL has bitten me in the ass, and I am in serious danger of being unemployed in a few weeks. I knew knew knew that I shouldn’t have signed up for this game when I said this, but the severity of our situation at work wasn’t apparent until this week. I worked on reads for about three hours yesterday and another three today and I’m not done yet. I also brought home about 20 hours of work to do this weekend, and I’m getting nowhere with that either because of the headaches I’m having (and feeling guilty about not doing work is contributing to my stress and my inability to do work so ppfffft). I’ve been having nightmares about work every night but last night I actually had a nightmare about this game. I really should ask for a replacement but I don’t want to because it would make me feel like a failure because I gave up on something. I would feel better if I could say that I tried my best, even if I lose. I'm saddened too about the way things went down with Evil George Washington because if what Zen says is true George might not want to play with us again after displaying such an obvious meta tell. I seriously love playing with George and Zen.

Ok bessie you can do this! Just concentrate on how angry you are at your work, and channel that aggression into reads!

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:59 am UTC

Stellaris @ Bessie

Spoiler:
I would never leave you guys! I'm sad to see that you're having trouble with your IRL situation. :oops: I'm glad I didn't push you harder, I would not want to give you more stress then you already have. I would have likely put in more effort, I just had somehow been drawn into 4 games at once. I'm not happy to hear that you may be unemployed soon either. You think a meta tell is going to defeat me? Pah! :P I respect you for getting to your reads while still being under all this pressure with work. Anyway, I am fine with waiting for a future game with you guys where I A) Have more time and B) Have less games. I understand the pressure at work, since I only have like one or two days off. Generally, I'd hope for a game with longer deadlines in the future, not sure what you guys prefer. Your post makes me want to stay even more then before, you don't know how much it means to me. Why would I leave a place where people want me to stay? I like you guys a lot!

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:38 am UTC

Stellaris - bessie, please read:
Spoiler:
Sorry to hear about your IRL troubles. If you need to sub out, please let me know, and please don't feel obliged to play on if you're having trouble doing so. Real life comes first.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:54 pm UTC

Stellaris
Spoiler:
Am I the only one feeling like this is NNY all over again in terms of content overload? Or do I just suck at this game?
—◯-◯

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:49 pm UTC

Stellaris

Spoiler:
I really hope I survive the night. I'm a little afraid my flip won't imply my result. Also it's going to be fun to claim so I don't want to miss that.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:45 pm UTC

Stellaris:
Spoiler:
Haven't posted much here this game. I am somewhat suspecting that is what Sabrar's secret meta read on me is all about :roll: But maybe not.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:39 pm UTC

Stellaris:
Spoiler:
Crazy theory time:

Scum is Sabrar/wam/freezeblade. heury is in fact Guardian Angel or a similar role linked to scum!Sabrar. After heury fake claimed cop, wam went ahead and did so as well, under the assumption that it would be too preposterous for there to be two fake cop claims. flips today are going to be indy/indy which is basically zero info for Town. Kill is going to be Zen or plytho.

I have an odd suspicion that I'm being treated a bit with kid gloves this game. Not just from Sabrar, which at least make sense, but that I'm being townread a lot more than I really feel I ought to be for reasons that feel pretty flimsy. One of the reasons why I'm feeling a bit suspicious of Sabrar at the moment... he has an incentive not to get me lynched, and his buddies likewise know this as well.

Noting here that my reads are always wrong. However, I'm definitely getting a weird vibe around a couple of people.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:40 am UTC

Stellaris
Spoiler:
Wait... the entire scum team is voting for “light-out”?

???
Isn’t that a bad idea? If they’re all doing it i don’t think it should be seen as towny.
Come one town! Lynch the scum! Lynch he scum!
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

wam

Postby wam » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:55 am UTC

Stellaris

Spoiler:
[, so maybe he's scummy Town and townie scum :P

Lasers called it. I think I did say the same thing as town in an early game! Also Bessie has to survive today as she has the ability to conceal a reveal and I need to conceal huery reveal!

Also I'm thinking we may have to kill Zen after all that!
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:40 pm UTC

Stellaris
Spoiler:
Laser, plytho, and Sabrar have still yet to comment on the Bessie case specifically :evil:

Why does laser think lynching wam will confirm sabrar. Why is he not considering gf

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:26 pm UTC

Stellaris:
Spoiler:
@Sabrar:
BTW town!Vicarin should not guard me after all

No, Sabrar, this won't work. If I were scum, I would definitely just kill Vicarin directly tonight for that delicious, delicious wine. I also (probably) wouldn't be pushing for a lynch at this point if I were scum and would have just sat around doing nothing like everyone else. You apparently haven't learned anything from our previous games either.

If you're Town, I see what you're trying to do, and it's not going to work the way you want it to (actually, it will work in exactly the opposite way of how you want it to).

[edit]I kind of hope I'm NKed tonight, but I think I've pretty successfully taken that off the table in short order.

Still haven't been scum since July, btw.[/edit]

[edit2]If Sabrar is Town I actually have basically no idea who is scum though. Zen's case on bessie looks pretty good, but bessie is bessie and Zen is basically me, so he's probably reading her wrong just like I would :D

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:48 am UTC

Stellaris @bessie
Spoiler:
Sorry if I was a bit overbearing bessie. Please feel better.

wam

Postby wam » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:43 am UTC

Stellaris

Spoiler:
Bessie hope everything's ok!.

In terms of nk target I am thinking zen will see what my teammates think.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

plytho

Postby plytho » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:20 am UTC

Stellaris

Spoiler:
@Bessie: take care of yourself and enjoy the spoilers!

Right, who to track now? Definitely one of the suspicious six. Do I pick someone with a claimed power (Madge, Freezeblade, somitomi, Vicarin ) or someone without (bessie/maven, LaserGuy)

Probably not Vicarin. I don't really see the scum motivation for that role name fishing.

I have nothing on somitomi and I feel like his day-ends-when-lynched power is probably not the only thing he has. Tracking somitomi will give valuable information on someone I know little about, so definitely an option.

Madge claims she'll use a power tonight so by tracking her I can potentially confirm or deny her claim: good info.

Freezeblade is my scummiest read (I wonder if his avatar has any influence on that) he claimed he used his (one shot?) roleblock already so catching him doing anything else is great info. I don't think the odds are great that he'll be performing the kill as he's under a lot of suspicion.

Bessie/maven: no claim so could be anything. I'm having some doubts about my content-quality based read as her replacement (and irl context) indicates they probably have reasons outside of the game. I don't think tracking here is the best move.

Laserguy: very sheepy all game I've gotten some town pings here and there though. Probably not a good target for tonight.

Should I target anyone at all tonight?

I think the odds of me getting night killed tonight are pretty high, probably higher than they'll be tomorrow night. If I'm killed tonight it doesn't matter whether I use my power. So I have to assume I'll survive. In that case tracking a suspect tomorrow night may be higher value than tonight as I'll have fewer suspects and better odds of catching the night kill.

The only problem with waiting is that I claimed I wasn't tracker in one of my last posts. It's no problem to clear things up first thing tomorrow and explain why I lied there (wanted to make clear I used my watcher N1). If I claim a watcher result D4 I'll have a much harder time selling it.

2 days to think about all this.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:32 am UTC

Long nights are boring. Entertain me, mafia players!

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:51 am UTC

Meow meow meow
If you speak cat, that was hilarious.
If you don’t. the joke was about you and you should feel bad
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:07 am UTC

Maybe I *should* feel bad. But I don't.

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:19 am UTC

so i'm playing a game of mafia right now with a lights out mechanic. that sounds interesting doesn't it?

also, i have a friend who visits my house often. he made a one night ultimate werewolf deck out of an old deck of cards at my house. we played it about a dozen times over two or three nights. and now i'm over it. he still is constantly wanting to play everytime he's over, but he's realised i'm no longer into it and has stopped asking, though when we debate which game to play he's always looking like he really wants to suggest it but knows i'll turn it down (i'm very.... loud/dominant/overbearing/assertive, pick your favourite synonym).

how do I handle this situation? Is there another game he might enjoy? (I have The Resistance and enjoy that more; also Coup but my partner refuses to play until he sleeves the cards... I gave it to him for his birthday in August 2016). Should I just stop worrying and learn to love ONUW?
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:43 am UTC

I haven't played ONUW, but I've read the rules and have some idea of how it progresses...

Do you know what about ONUW they like in particular? Do you know what you dislike in particular about it?

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:51 am UTC

I don't know what he likes about it particularly to be honest.

I liked it fine but we played it too much and I got sick of it. I especially don't like how I always seem to play to win, and then it turns out my card was switched so I lose. Not having information about my own role kind of kills me. Maybe I should get better at playing it and I'd like it better.

I also think when we play it, we don't conform to the time limits as given out by the app: I think that's an important wrinkle because if you talk too long it gets tedious (it's why after a few years of playing The Resistance I made a house rule that you hand out the "is on the team" cards, and once you have handed the card to someone, no backsies: it prevents people re-working the teams half a dozen times and forces people to vote).

I also feel territorality comes into it, for wont of a better word: even though the deck of marked up playing cards lives at my house, it's my friend who is in control of it. It's weird though because usually when people bring games I'm excited to play them, regardless of what it is. Perhaps it's because it's actually one of "my" games, that I feel that way: like, I think of all the other games I possess and I would prefer them, rather than deferring to the guest and the game they've brought.

Of course, my Friday night dinners (which is why I was thinking about this now) aren't specific board game events so people generally don't bring games, and the logistics make it tricky to play anything that takes more than an hour, so ONUW hits a sweet spot.

So how about this question:

What's a good "party game" - for people who are experienced board game players (or newbies, but no need to shy from something that might be obscure), but takes 20-30 minutes per round, <10 minutes to learn to play (ideally, as in 'cards against humanity' or 'the resistance', the way to teach someone to play is to just start playing), and is free (or downloadable... or in the case of ONUW kind of pirateable, I don't know how ethical it is to play it on playing cards with "ROBBER" written in sharpie over the 7 of hearts)?

I'm now thinking of the real traditional ones - the dictionary game where everyone writes a definition, exquisite corpse, even something like celebrity heads, etc.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:10 am UTC

At the risk of being a game that you probably already know about, I'd just go with Codenames, it seems to do all those criteria decently well. You didn't say how many players you usually have, but it's pretty scalable.

Anything else that I really like probably starts becoming too involved for the "party game" category but Codenames has a lot of interesting situations and you get to have a decent amount of banter while the Codemasters curse their luck about how the card arrangement is this round. Also very easy to have a new person playing by just chucking them on to a team with people who have played before, and while you normally have to buy it, there ARE some sites which allow you to autogenerate setups for the game (can even use themed sets of words).

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:20 am UTC

I've played Codenames before and enjoyed it! Thanks for the rec.

Looks like you can play it using this website: https://www.horsepaste.com/ and it does THE ENTIRE GAME and might even sync it!? awesome

In terms of numbers, 3-10 players is what we're looking at. Usually 5 or 6.

My partner takes a ridiculously long time with his turns (we once played Settlers of Catan: Knights and Cities, which normally takes 4 hours, for SEVEN HOURS), so anything that doesn't require too many combinations (so... Settlers is particularly bad because the 7 resources can each be traded for one of 6 other resources in one of 3 different ways and be used to build one of like 5 different structures in innumerable combinations). So yeah, codenames is pretty easy.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:42 am UTC

Well, depends on how often you spend wayyyyy too long trying to figure out what clue to give as Codemaster to squeeze in an extra word. Which I may be very prone to doing...

I didn't think it was possible to drag out Knights and Cities for 7 hours, ouch. Unfortunately, easiest way to cut down on time taken in games like that is to play lots of them, hopefully reducing the time taken on turns slowly.

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:58 am UTC

No, he doesn't reduce his time with practise. He just wants to optimise stuff perfectly and doesn't seem to devote as much time to thinking during other peoples' turns.

My previous record C&K name was about 5 hours, and I played a lot of C&K at uni. (It got to the poitn where I would walk into a room and people would say "no, I don't want to play Settlers". Except for Heath, RIP)

plytho

Postby plytho » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:29 am UTC

A fake artist goes to new york is a fun drawing game. Every round there's a question master who decides what has to be draw. He tells the theme (animals, cities, movies,..) to all players and the specific subject (caterpillar, paris, black panther,...) to all players but one (the fake artist). Everyone takes two turns drawing a part of the picture, each with a different color. At the end the real artist have to guess who the fake artist was. If they get it wrong the fake artist wins. If they get it right the real artists win (but only if the fake artist can't guess what the target was.)

Since all you need is (different colored) pens and paper you can play it for free.

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:05 am UTC

oh that's genius and as long as we enforce a time limit on the guessing stage my partner will not be able to bog it down... and he's a terrible artist meaning i have the chance of beating him!!

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:52 pm UTC

I'd second codenames, and I'd also recommend a sort of online game called Spy Fall (rules: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/166384/spyfall - app: http://spyfall.adrianocola.com/ (others are available - I usually end up here, though)).

I personally love Coup, and there's another game I think is called Love Letters, which I haven't tried but think I'd enjoy in a similar vein (Pretty sure it gets a run on Wil Weaton's Table Top).

Also, Exploding Kittens!
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:05 pm UTC

Stellaris
Spoiler:
@Suzaku: I'd like to claim my hidden win, thank you very much.
I know you made it especially hard for me by making me a Lover but here I am. :D :lol: :D

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:09 pm UTC

Stellaris @Sabrar
Spoiler:
Fair call, although I’d forgotten about that. Don’t suppose this is your first town survival to D3, though.

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:25 pm UTC

Stellaris

Spoiler:
I was considering making the over the top medical breadcrumb post and then going to bed and letting people "puzzle" over it but I decided it'd be townier to be out with it especially because it's obvious AF.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:25 pm UTC

Stellaris
Spoiler:
@Suzaku: no, I've managed to break that curse a long time ago.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:47 pm UTC

Stellaris:
Spoiler:
I'd like to claim that I'd have guessed a janitor-like role would be present, but, well, I didn't think it likely at all! So, here's my next guess: scum have a genetic modification expert, who is able to "choose" a role that they will be for that night (similar to a custom inventor), and they had the idea after Zenii suggested it.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:19 pm UTC

Stellaris:
Spoiler:
I think I broke the setup last night.

This is from our lover chat:
-I think Suzaku may have used this game as a template:
viewtopic.php?p=3175911#p3175911
A lot of the roles seem very similar:
Town {Holy Man (ends the night if lynched); JoAT with 1 kill, 1 roleblock, 1 shot cop, 1 shot doc; prophet who can reveal flip info; watcher; lover pair; 4x VT}
Wolves {1 shot roleblocker, 1 shot strongman, 1 shot janitor}
If you split the JoAT up into four separate roles, you basically have every claimed ability in this game already accounted for, except for Zen. So I expect that mafia powers in this game are probably similar/better than what the wolves had in that game.

-It seemed obvious to me that you thought I was scum and therefore you wouldn't be an NK target.

It wouldn't surprise me if plytho claims watcher. I thought he was some sort of a comparison cop and had a result of Zen/heury aligned or unaligned, but that doesn't make sense with his claims, and a watcher result seems more consistent with the ambiguity he's seeing.

Scum is in freezeblade, Maven, Vicarin

[edit]Actually, no freezeblade is Town. It's just Maven/Vic

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:04 pm UTC

Stellaris
Spoiler:
Rather sucks now that I only got the chance to claim visiting Sabrar while I in fact visited both Sabrar and Zen. Well played moves by Wam, he may neverget lynched as "confirmed one shot cop". I was lookong forward to my reveal helping the town quite a bit. Smart for mafia to pick me to havemy reveal hidden.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:52 pm UTC

Stellaris
Spoiler:
I believe plytho's claim though it ignores some of my content that should at least made him doubt himself about me being a commuter. But I don't want to get into an argument with him because it serves no purpose.
On an unrelated note I would be really disappointed if setup was the same as in previous Lights Out with just a few modifications. Though it definitely looks that way.

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:56 am UTC

Stellaris
Spoiler:
bessie wrote:Stellaris Mafia
So Gojoe thread Zen has caught me playing a poor game, but the reasons aren’t necessarily because I am scum. The reason is because like usual RL has bitten me in the ass, and I am in serious danger of being unemployed in a few weeks. I knew knew knew that I shouldn’t have signed up for this game when I said this, but the severity of our situation at work wasn’t apparent until this week. I worked on reads for about three hours yesterday and another three today and I’m not done yet. I also brought home about 20 hours of work to do this weekend, and I’m getting nowhere with that either because of the headaches I’m having (and feeling guilty about not doing work is contributing to my stress and my inability to do work so ppfffft). I’ve been having nightmares about work every night but last night I actually had a nightmare about this game. I really should ask for a replacement but I don’t want to because it would make me feel like a failure because I gave up on something. I would feel better if I could say that I tried my best, even if I lose. I'm saddened too about the way things went down with Evil George Washington because if what Zen says is true George might not want to play with us again after displaying such an obvious meta tell. I seriously love playing with George and Zen.

Ok bessie you can do this! Just concentrate on how angry you are at your work, and channel that aggression into reads!

I'm really sorry about all this bessie. I feel absolutely terrible for pushing you so hard. I knew you were insanely stressed and I shouldn't have added to that.

Interestingly, Monday night I had the worst (or rather only) nightmare I've ever experienced. Actually the reason why I was awake to respond to your posts at ~4am.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:15 am UTC

Stellaris:
Spoiler:
This probably isn't the case, but there have been games with multiple cops before, even in relatively small setups. In PenPals, both Sabrar and I were cops in a 10-player game. I'm concerned that Sabrar hasn't brought this up in response to people pushing that there can't be two cops. Sabrar/wam/HA scum team? Hmm...
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Return to “Mafia”