The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

LaserGuy

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:01 am UTC

If you submit a role that we don't feel is playable for a particular faction, we would probably alter it in some way. E.g. if you submitted a Godfather, it might get changed to a more general immunity to investigations or something.

Please don't submit town/scum options for the role. If you were to do that and someone claimed the role in the "scum" way, you would know the alignment of that player.

wam

Postby wam » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:34 am UTC

Understood. Do you want flavour with the roles?

Also I had a great cult concept role with flavour but hat breaks your alignment changing rule!
Come join us playing mafia signup here

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:43 am UTC

Flavor is not required.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:09 pm UTC

I signed up already, but I'm now conducting intensive research to decide on/come up with a role. It's probably going to end up being lame...
"It's like he's his own alt account. Saves all the logging in and out."/poxic
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:37 pm UTC

Werewolf

Spoiler:
Oh man do I wish I read the signup post. I double checked the opening post to see if it mentioned anything about Vt but it didn't, woops.
I thought about claiming neighbor, that I had to target someone to find a mason, and if I did I'd be brought in as a neighbor. Hopefully jimbob with his masonry would go "oh hey, there is a mason!". But I was still holding out hope that someone tracked me, and I was worried that if tracker came in with "target of laserguy and (mason)" people would figure it out. I also didn't know if someone else was also told there was no doctor, so I didn't want to claim that (plus laserguy was killed), and if I claimed an investigative type role, I'd have to explain why I targeted laserguy instead of Harri or Wam or anyone else. So I just claimed VT and said Wam was full of shit. Definitely a mistake, when people pointed it out and no one was buying it I knew I was gone. Dissapointed in myself this game, I was distracted and ended up lurking most of Day 1, when I was ready to come in Day 2 I was already caught.
Hari is a good player but with a weird playstyle, he seems all offense and little defense, I was really looking forward to sparring with him Day 2,
but it never happened. Also, Bessie for some reason got the results of Laserguy and me, which I don't understand. A town bus driver?

Madge wrote:Werewolf

Interested why Maven falseclaimed vampire tech support guy. Changeling was meant to be a good fakeclaim because it's an actual supernatural beastie and there aren't any others: but maybe he thought it would be a gamble since changelings are obscure? There are already two town vampires, but he doesn't know that.

He is tech support guy so I'm glad that part of the fake claim was useful!

Basically, everyone else seemed to be werewolf or vampire, I was worried if I claimed some obscure monster people would go "but it not a vampire/werewolf" and count it against me.
Last edited by Maven89 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:05 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

wam

Postby wam » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:40 pm UTC

Werewolf

Spoiler:
I reckon if maven is scum (99% sure) I will be nk target. Let's hope there's I doctor. I am self targeting so if I survis should get two names. 1 doc one scum.

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:20 am UTC

Maven89 wrote:Werewolf

Spoiler:
Madge wrote:Werewolf

Interested why Maven falseclaimed vampire tech support guy. Changeling was meant to be a good fakeclaim because it's an actual supernatural beastie and there aren't any others: but maybe he thought it would be a gamble since changelings are obscure? There are already two town vampires, but he doesn't know that.

He is tech support guy so I'm glad that part of the fake claim was useful!

Basically, everyone else seemed to be werewolf or vampire, I was worried if I claimed some obscure monster people would go "but it not a vampire/werewolf" and count it against me.

Werewolf

Spoiler:
Ahh, that makes sense. Town has 1 WW, 2 Vamps, 1 human, 1 poltergeist and 1 ghoul (human-ish). Indie was a mummy and scum is a human and a changeling. Don't particularly care whether you claimed vampire or changeling, just was curious.

Agree that given your choice of target you didn't have much room to claim creatively, it was luck of the draw. At least your flip text of "Changeling Teen Hacker" will probably confuse town a bit more than your scummate's "Reformed Framer" would have ;).
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:01 pm UTC

Madge wrote:Werewolf of Wall Street

Spoiler:
Also, in a fit of Basic Human Decency, I'm making EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER gender neutral (let's see if anyone notices) and I'm going to try to use "execution" as an alternative for "lynch" in the daykill. The gender neutral stuff is more a personal challenge; the "trying to get rid of the word lynch" thing is because I remember a few years back someone asked about it and I always felt kind of weird about that sort of politically charged word being used in a game like this when I managed to come up with a workable if slightly less visceral alternative.

Also Werewolf of Wall Street @Madge
Spoiler:
Noticed the 'executed'/'murdered' thing straight away, and it hooked me to search this thread to see if that was a new thing or something.
Followed by logging in for the first time in well over a year. If this goes on you'll have me signing up for a game before long ;)
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:30 pm UTC

@Suzaku: please do come back. You were fun to play with.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:32 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:@Suzaku: please do come back. You were fun to play with.

We’ve got a secret Santa game coming up!!!
Peaceful Whale wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:Spell it out for me.
I-T

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:58 pm UTC

Suzaku! Come back! I would die of happiness
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:55 pm UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:
Sabrar wrote:@Suzaku: please do come back. You were fun to play with.

We’ve got a secret Santa game coming up!!!

I'm seriously tempted. If I can think up a good role that's not been done before, I probably will.

Be warned though, I'm often one of the lurkiest McLurkers ever to lurk :twisted:

Madge wrote:Suzaku! Come back! I would die of happiness

Umm, I don't think I'd want that on my conscience. Couldn't you maybe just, I don't know, squee a little ;P
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:29 pm UTC

Suzaku wrote:Be warned though, I'm often one of the lurkiest McLurkers ever to lurk :twisted:
I can confirm this. I think I'm still waiting for a response to something I asked him in mod chat from Wheel of Time 1 a year and a half ago!
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:35 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I can confirm this. I think I'm still waiting for a response to something I asked him in mod chat from Wheel of Time 1 a year and a half ago!

OUCH! That was ..... probably justified.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:47 pm UTC

Suzaku wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I can confirm this. I think I'm still waiting for a response to something I asked him in mod chat from Wheel of Time 1 a year and a half ago!

OUCH! That was ..... probably justified.
No worries. I stumbled through anyway :P

P.S. I'm thinking of doing a Wheel of Time 3 sometime in the new year if anybody's interested. Co-modding would be welcome!
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:58 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:P.S. I'm thinking of doing a Wheel of Time 3 sometime in the new year if anybody's interested. Co-modding would be welcome!

I love modding (probably actually more than playing, TBH; I'm one of life's DMs), so definitely up for this if work's not being too redonkulous.

wam

Postby wam » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:13 pm UTC

werewolf @ madge

Spoiler:
I thought it was 48 hours from hammer?

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:15 pm UTC

wam wrote:werewolf @ madge

Spoiler:

Werewolf @wam
Spoiler:
that worked out to be like midnight for me so I had to add a few hours padding, sorry.

wam

Postby wam » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:24 pm UTC

Madge wrote:
wam wrote:werewolf @ madge

Spoiler:

Werewolf @wam
Spoiler:
that worked out to be like midnight for me so I had to add a few hours padding, sorry.

Werewolf

Spoiler:
No worries

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:58 pm UTC

WoWS

Spoiler:
Well, the die is cast. jimbob dies tonight, and if wam watches him, he'll see ConMan also "visited" him. Hope he isn't, because that leads to me getting lynched D4 if not D3. Hopefully, with bessie's uber-townie meta his eyes will be on her. Who she's tracking is a bit more problematic since framing doesn't help in that instance. OTOH, Madge ruling in self-targetting may help in that instance, something to consider should I get to N3. One more nightmare scenario, there might be masons. Maven had a "mason finder" ablility that I've inherited, and I'm not sure what result he got since he didn't tell me :cry: . The nightmare is if both of them get through to D4, I'm toast because they both know they're town. I figure that Hari is going to be my malleable townie at LYLO, don't know if I want bessie or wam for the third, Hari is new so he may not be as beguiled by bessie's perennial towniness, so...
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:46 am UTC

Werewolf

Spoiler:
For those wondering, I targeted Jimbob and got the results that he was in a mason. however, I'm not used to the different PM system this forum has/I'm also stupid, and thought my result PM was in our mafia chat. So I thought Moody knew. Woops.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:30 pm UTC

WoWS

Spoiler:
The Plan for mass claim is I'm head of HR, and therefore a cop. I already know there isn't one, so no worry about a counter-claim. The next question is, what are my results?

N1: I want to say wam because I was so suspicious of him D1, but then why was I still a little suspicious D2? Small chance of a godfather, and some doubt brought up by bessie and her uber-town meta.

N2: jimbob, reasoning I wanted at least one townie locked down in case I should make it to LYLO and we could be all "hooray, we did it". too bad he's dead.

My main problem with this is why didn't I cop ConMan since I was even voting for him D1? I'm not going to bring it up until someone asks, which I figure might be the next post by wam after this claim. I really don't want to clear ConMan since I am hoping to make him the lynch du jour, but we'll see where the day plays out.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:16 am UTC

WOWS

Spoiler:
Hari Seldon wrote:JimBob probably had the same flavor as Peaceful Whale, only with the job titles swapped.

:x i will have you know i lovingly crafted separate flavours for them based on the werewolf/vampire stereotypes, so it was not only the job titles swapped thank you very much. i am offended that you would think i would phone in flavour like that :cry:

(being over dramatic on purpose i am not actually offended)

EDIT: just realised Hari will get a quotation notification for this and be wondering what i deemed worthy in their post to comment on. haha that'll be a disappointment upon death.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:10 pm UTC

Wows

Spoiler:
I have no idea who the teammate is. I am worried Hari is trying to lead us around as scum....

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:35 pm UTC

Wolf

Spoiler:
hurry up!

If I hadn't been reading all the spoilers, my money would have been on bessie, but maybe that's because she's been going after wam so hard

Moody is indeed slipping under the radar
He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:57 am UTC

Werewolf of Wall Street
Spoiler:
Interesting, I strongly suspected there would be an innocent-child-that-masonizes type role in the game. 8-)

So how am I doing Sabrar? Do I have the rest of it right, or am I wrong about everything else? :D

I guess I'll know soon as it looks like I might be lynched. :P

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:16 am UTC

Werewolf
Spoiler:
bessie wrote:Interesting, I strongly suspected there would be an innocent-child-that-masonizes type role in the game. 8-)

So how am I doing Sabrar? Do I have the rest of it right, or am I wrong about everything else? :D

Well, you're quite wrong about the specifics. :D

However the following is bang on the nose:
bessie wrote:I think it more likely that this is a mafia power. But if it is, it doesn’t lead me to wam being mafia, it leads me to moody, as moody targeted both my targets.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:50 pm UTC

Werewolf

Spoiler:
need more people in European timezones.
All the disscussion seems to be overnight!

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:22 am UTC

Werewolf of Wall Street
Spoiler:
Hi Sabrar, I feel duty bound to post some super secret thoughts for you because you quoted me (yea someone is talking about me me me!). But I need to be at work early tomorrow. I’ll make up for it tomorrow.

Ok, here’s a brief thought. I really hope that there isn’t a hidden lover mechanic where if wam or I die the other commits suicide, because that’s the uneasy feeling I’m getting from my role pm. I think this game is too small to have a lover pair. Maybe I would be too distraught to use my power, and wam would be unable to use his. That might work. There must be something because there isn’t any reason for his role name to be in my role pm unless we’re connected. And I’m really disappointed that it isn’t masons. Mason is my favorite role. :(

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:28 am UTC

Werewolf of Wall Street
Spoiler:
bessie wrote:I really hope that there isn’t a hidden lover mechanic where if wam or I die the other commits suicide, because that’s the uneasy feeling I’m getting from my role pm. I think this game is too small to have a lover pair. Maybe I would be too distraught to use my power, and wam would be unable to use his. That might work. There must be something because there isn’t any reason for his role name to be in my role pm unless we’re connected.

Oh bessie you are SO CLOSE yet so very, very far!!! If you or Wam die, the other is so ANGRY at someone MURDERING their faithful servant / love, that they are going to go OUT FOR BLOOD / VENGENCE.

Which in your cases means you get a one shot version of your dead love's power to use as you see fit. So you get to be a watcher *and* a tracker (and I believe choose a different target for each - i'd have to look back over me and Sabrar's notes)

I'm hoping wam gets executed today so that way the power will come up, but I think moody's goose may be cooked claiming jimbob as a target, so you'll never know what may have been until you read this message.

Inspiration was from these uniques in DCSS:

http://crawl.chaosforge.org/index.php?title=Duvessa
http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Dowan

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:21 am UTC

Madge wrote:Werewolf of Wall Street
Spoiler:
bessie wrote:I really hope that there isn’t a hidden lover mechanic where if wam or I die the other commits suicide, because that’s the uneasy feeling I’m getting from my role pm. I think this game is too small to have a lover pair. Maybe I would be too distraught to use my power, and wam would be unable to use his. That might work. There must be something because there isn’t any reason for his role name to be in my role pm unless we’re connected.

Oh bessie you are SO CLOSE yet so very, very far!!! If you or Wam die, the other is so ANGRY at someone MURDERING their faithful servant / love, that they are going to go OUT FOR BLOOD / VENGENCE.

Which in your cases means you get a one shot version of your dead love's power to use as you see fit. So you get to be a watcher *and* a tracker (and I believe choose a different target for each - i'd have to look back over me and Sabrar's notes)

I'm hoping wam gets executed today so that way the power will come up, but I think moody's goose may be cooked claiming jimbob as a target, so you'll never know what may have been until you read this message.

Inspiration was from these uniques in DCSS:

http://crawl.chaosforge.org/index.php?title=Duvessa
http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Dowan

WoW
Spoiler:
What?!?!
So I was kinda right with my thoughts, just wrong role.

(Someone sumbit a roleblike this for secret Santa please, it’s so cool. :D)
Peaceful Whale wrote:
I-T

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:52 am UTC

WoW @ "Power" Whale

Spoiler:
I think a role like that wouldn't work for secret santa because it presumes that its counterpart role exists???

That said when we modded SS last year, we said in the rules "please don't include a win condition", but then someone submitted a really cool role which required a specific win condition and we liked it so much we kept it as-is. So I suppose it goes to show that you can break rules and if the mods like you you'll get away with it? :lol:

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:15 pm UTC

WoW @Madge
Spoiler:
I might make exceptions... only if it’s a really cool role.
Peaceful Whale wrote:
I-T

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:51 pm UTC

Secret Santa @ Peaceful Whale

Spoiler:
I am really proud of the role I submitted, I hope you guys have fun with it! I love writing flavour especially when it doesn't have to be in any particular theme :lol:

wam

Postby wam » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:12 pm UTC

Werewolf

Spoiler:
I had forgotten how confusing this game could be near the end. I think hari is right and I was suspicious of moody d1 it there is this nagging thought that he is scum leading town.

I really wish there was a none.obvious way I could coordinate with Bessie.

I am thinking about the following. I state I am watching Bessie overnight. She targets one of hari and conman (assuming a moody lynch). That way if I am nkd Bessie knows which one it is. As either she has a result to the nk or not. Revealing scum.

The issue with the above is that I have to assume Bessie is town. Which I am 95% sure of but it 100%.

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:36 am UTC

Werewolf of Wall Street
Spoiler:
Hi spectators, there are a lot of you reading this forum right now. How am I doing?

Madge and Peaceful Whale quoted me me me! I’ll try to have some super secret thoughts for you and Sabrar later tonight. I don’t have anything right now. I just threw it all in the game thread. I get more encouragement whenever there are a lot of spectators or Gojoe activity, and I’m inspired to put my all into my posts. :) Back soon.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:41 pm UTC

Wolf
Spoiler:
Great job Town! This was a tough one to puzzle out.

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:13 pm UTC

Wolf
Spoiler:
This has been thrilling

Nice work
He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:53 pm UTC

Reminder that signups for Secret Santa are still open! I will tentatively close signups Monday night (the 27th) with the aim for the game to start on the 30th or maybe a little before depending on how long it takes to twerk the flavor and role PMs.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:22 am UTC

Sounds great! I'm working on job application #2 so I was worried I'd have a mafia game to contend with as well @_@

(who am I kidding I'll be working on this job application for another full week)

fun fact: Australian government job applications require a 3 page report about how good you will be at the job. Yes really.

Return to “Mafia”