The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

BoomFrog

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:44 am UTC

Crossover
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:59 am UTC

Crossover
Spoiler:
@FrozenFlame: sorry to hear about your irl issues, would have loved to play with you when you're at your best.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:17 am UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
Well, fuck. I inadvertently turned the lynch over onto a townie. RIP my game.

Stand by my initial vote though: first vote on a wagon on a lurking person with a bad-looking claim isn't some crazy lapse of judgement.

I'm tempted to jump straight onto boomfrog tomorrow but I really think that we should have more investigative roles than we do have, so I want to keep him on that basis. Then again I don't know OS and maybe this sort of stuff is normal.

Looking forward to being lynched TBH though then again the pace is finally calming down.
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

Gondark

Postby Gondark » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:34 am UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
Hi guys,

I've been following this game on the sidelines (got to know it as Plytho's friend), despite of the huge post count.

I feel like I'm getting to know you guys, and felt it was weird not dropping a line by now :) .
It's been fun seeing Bessie and Plytho slug it out, Peaceful Whale honestly trying, EGW's dictatorial way of swinging the votes "I'm voting this guy, everyone join me!", Laserguy so very confidently being wrong at basically everything (so far :wink: !), trying to identify scum myself, finding slip-ups (noticed or not), making analysis, trying to figure out all the lingo "EGWOP", "FOS", "jumping wagons" and so on. Finally reading the Gojoe explanations on how certain game posts were meant to mislead or were made in desperate defense and now seeing scum for who they really are makes it complete.

Thanks for the entertainment, i did not figure Maffia by post would be so incredibly complicated!

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:22 am UTC

Crossover Mafia

Spoiler:
So why is Gojoe so quiet? Everyone else must be in chat by now.

Sorry about that FrozenFlame. It should have been BoomFrog, but no one was voting him except for me. Red Ryu was being stubborn about Madge, and plytho let EGW move him back on to FF. plytho is non town, or he was being dense for wasting D1 and D2 attacking me. Scum is probably BoomFrog and LaserGuy. FrozenFlame, you were looking for scum in the wrong place. You were looking for moody’s and heury’s partners, and there weren’t any. I was pushing two scum teams but like usual no one listens to me, and if I am night killed then that will ensure everyone ignores my content and the other mafia team will win this game.

BoomFrog is irritating the hell out of me, either he is scum or his reads are spectacularly bad, and I don’t think BoomFrog is this incompetent so it must be the former. He is so wrong about me re moody on D1, and he keeps bringing it up. Or he is purposely misrepresenting it, which would make him scum. I was so pissed off about it I wasted an half an hour digging through old games:

Matrix6 Redux (bessie and moody town)
bessie wrote: Moody7277 – I think moody has the most consistent style of anyone I have played with and I will never be able to tell his scum game from his town game. I'll reread his content later but for now neutral.

More Matrix6 Redux
bessie wrote:Meta arguments. I keep flipping my opinion on whether or not meta arguments are a good strategy, or even useful. I guess they’re useful in that most of us make use of our/others' meta when we play. It’s usually how we start D1, with random voting based on player meta (for many this is a fun stage). How can you not? We’re a relatively small group and many of us have played mafia or other games together. And it’s not necessarily a bad thing. But trying to read a player based entirely on meta and how they acted in previous games can obscure what is happening in the current game. And in my opinion, it’s an unreliable strategy. Some players like moody (sorry to pick on you moody, but I wanted to use as an example someone in this game) have a scummy meta, and tend to quite often get lynched D1.

Chaos Mafia (bessie and moody town)
bessie wrote: Moody7277 – My experience playing with moody is that I can’t tell his scum play from his town play, but if he’s town his player reads will probably be good. I don’t agree with all of his analysis but I think his content has improved enough for me to remove my vote on him today but I will be watching him tomorrow.

Draculafia (bessie and moody town)
bessie wrote: moody, I’m sorry you’re dissatisfied with my town read on you! I still need to finish my player list, so let me take a look and see if I can dig up a few scum tells.

See. I always read moody as scum, therefore a D1 scum read of moody is insufficient evidence for me to lead a lynch on him. QED.

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:41 am UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
And now we play the waiting game. I actually targeted bessie instead of BoomFrog. With all that uncertainty at least the night kill will remove a possible mislynch target. I hope LaserGuy flips, but I fear it will be mpolo.
he him his

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:45 pm UTC

Crossover
Spoiler:
Yes Bessie. I am scum and you are dead.

I wanted to keep you alive in a, "supervillain keeps his nemesis alive to assert superiority", sort of way, but you're confirmed town and I've read the rules for evil overlords.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:45 pm UTC

Crossover.
Spoiler:
No boomfrog, Bessie is not conformed town...
Peaceful Whale wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:Spell it out for me.
I-T

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:03 am UTC

Crossover:
Spoiler:
bessie! You were mafia :D

I am so astounded by this turn of events. Was wondering why you said this might be your favorite game ever :D

[edit]Or is that also because one of Sabrar/BoomFrog are your scumbuddies? :twisted:

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:46 am UTC

Crossover
Spoiler:
@bessie: I'm very sorry that your scum-game that you waited for so long was such a let-down. Having inactive teammates sucks big time, also your frustration about your ability is totally understandable.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:17 pm UTC

Crossover:
Spoiler:
Um... What??

That flip is so bizarre that I'm honestly wondering whether mafia have some sort of role that allows them to mess with the flip (I think I saw a Tailor role somewhere that does this). That would be a highly bastard role though, in my opinion. Maybe one mafia team had a recruit? :shock:
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:27 pm UTC

Crossover Mafia

Spoiler:
Pre spoiler speculation.

BoomFrog is so totally scum I should have refused to move my vote from him on D4. I really hate this majority lynch mechanic because you don’t necessarily get to vote for who you think is scum, you need to vote to ensure a lynch.

Or maybe BoomFrog is town, and I am just still angry about this post and it is clouding my judgment:
BoomFrog wrote: No. I'm 99%+ convinced that you are not scum. If you are a GodFather who lucked out in getting copped by the only one shot cop then congratulations on you stunning luck and enjoy your unearned victory.

However, if you were not so confirmed I'd be pushing your lynch toDay. Everyone left has acted townie in their own weird ways, so it's time to look at whose actions have lead us in a good direction and whose haven't.

I have been defending myself this entire game for my apparent lack of activity while Madge has been given a free pass. D1-D3 I was taking care of a sick lady after work, and I still made time every night to reply to the day’s content and post, sometimes staying up well past midnight. One night on D3 I missed one of my husband’s gigs so that I could stay home and make a reads list (I also video and photograph him so we have no pictures from that show). On N3/D4 there was a fucking wildfire in my neighborhood. That’s why I was very unusually home and not at work at D4 start, I was trying to figure out which small pieces of my life would fit in the trunk of an Acura TSX (that and if I left my house I might not have been able to return home because of the mandatory evacuation order). And then I get recruited by someone who lurked out of the game and over a month of work toward winning as town go down the drain. No, I’m not going to win, and winning is not that important to me anyway, but the implication that any victory I may have would have been unearned is a scummy thing to say, and not just if you’re scum.

No, it’s BoomFrog and Sabrar. There was a comment by Sabrar somewhere, I don’t have time to look for it right now, about how Sabrar was surprised that I didn’t have more sympathy for Madge’s activity level in light of my own struggles keeping up. BoomFrog and Sabrar have been fabricating reasons to keep Madge in the game, and she doesn’t even want to play. So they’re either scum partners with her, or they know she’s not going to be doing any scum hunting so good to keep around.

BoomFrog wrote:Does anyone have a guess what "possessor" does? Does OS ever use alignment changing roles?
If I was still town on D4 I would have been all over this.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:24 pm UTC

Crossover
Spoiler:
Pretty sure mpolo just hardcore screwed scum over.

If he swapped me and bessie, we can clear three townies... me (kill target), Ryu (kill intended) and mpolo (scum wouldn't target me if they knew his action).

plytho

Postby plytho » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:21 pm UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
So exciting! I love this flip. I thought it was over for town but this gives me new hope.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the claims. I'm still not convinced I can trust my chatmates. Luckily I failed to recruit scum!bessie.
he him his

plytho

Postby plytho » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:37 pm UTC

Crossover
Spoiler:
I'm most suspicious of EGW who for some reason objected to bessie joining the chat (did he know she'd die?) and Red Ryu who was supposed to protect Bessie (how else could scum know she wouldn't be protected?

This is assuming two scum teams. One scum team is only possible if a townie has a plausible explanation for bessie's flip.
he him his

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:18 am UTC

Crossover:
Spoiler:
Moment of realisation: Red Ryu could be being entirely truthful about his role and still make sense as Mafia without a kill - theoretical other team with kill (potentially SK) makes the role a really nice addition for Mafia - do you a) protect your buddies to prevent vig-shots/other team kills killing them, or b) "confirm" yourself via the note but potentially protect town from other-team's kill.

Late-recruited bessie is starting to make some sense. I can't figure out any other non-bastard explanation for that flip.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:11 pm UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
"It's possible that Moody and HA were a two man scum team like in TT, and Bessie was town D2, which would explain why PW may have actually had chat/confirmation of her alignment at that time, but afterwards, she might have been recruited upon Yolinda's death."--EGW

*ding ding ding* We have a winner! Let's see if he can do anything with that deduction.

LaserGuy: "Sabrar, did the "Wraith" immunity ability include kills?"
Sabrar: "Yes, definitely"

LIAR! But then, you're scum so of course you lie; trying to lull town into thinking they're only looking for one more bad guy.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:31 pm UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
So, looking at the record to date:

Code: Select all

D1 lynch        scum team 1
N1 kill         town
D2 lynch        town
D2 judgement    indep
D2 bomb         indep
D2 modkill      town
N2 kill         town
D3 lynch        town
D3 modkill      scum team 1
N3 kill         town
D4 lynch        town
N4 kill         scum team 1/prev town

The only time town actually lynched scum, it was when the other scum team let them do so. Conclusion: phear the BF/Sabrar scumteam. Phear!

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:22 am UTC

Cross-over

Spoiler:
Originally thought SABRAR MADGE MPOLO. Then I thought it was PLYTHO SABRAR. THEN RYU LASER.
Now I believe it's Ryu Sabrar. It makes more sense, since Sabrar is Megaman. I'm not going to say a thing until night though. I'm going to focus on lynching Ryu and see what Sabrar does. Honestly that bessie kill was golden.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:58 am UTC

Crossover:
Spoiler:
........Am I right?

I've been wrong about almost every other read this game, but I have to be right at least once, don't I GoJoe? :wink:

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:32 pm UTC

Crossover
Spoiler:
RR mislynch = game over? That is the question.

I don't think I'm going to be able to swing the lynch around. Weirdly, Sabrar/plytho seem receptive. RR is oblivious but presumably will join the non-him wagon. Madge? Might all come down to Madge.

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:14 am UTC

Crossover Mafia

Spoiler:
moody7277 wrote:If it gets down to possessed!bessie and one other townie, what's the endstate of the game?

The town win condition, because, you know, I just happen to have a copy:
Win Condition
You are Town, and you win when your faction is the only remaining faction or nothing can prevent this.

Good luck getting an answer from YOLO, but there's this:
Maven89 wrote:Gabriel needs to die at some point, there's normally no shared wins, one faction wins and that's it.

We look forward to having you sign up for a game. :mrgreen:

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:03 pm UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
Town looks like it's going to self destruct. Shame. I'm really surprised everyone dropped the "two mafia faction" idea Day 2, I feel like day1lynch (sorry forgot his name) accepting it without question should have kept the idea in the spotlight

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:51 pm UTC

Crossover:
Spoiler:
Was kind of hoping that I'd get lynched today so that I could see the spoilers and figure out what is going on... Looking less likely at the moment. I've been in this game for an awful lot longer than I expected to be.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:04 pm UTC

Crossover
Spoiler:
BoomFrog wrote:Red and mpolo both are bothering me. No one else has had anything close to a normal role, everything has a serious twist in it. Just straight up boring bus-driver seems out of place. However, if he's mafia putting a target on his head D1 was a poor choice, so still leaning town here.

LaserGuy wrote:Also is apparently the only person with a completely standard role with no modifiers? Feels weird to me.

Inception successful. :mrgreen:

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:53 am UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
Hey, do any dead people know what happened to me night 1? My kill never went through and I wound up dead, I'm guessing I was RB'd and Nk'd?

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:31 am UTC

Crossover @ Maven89

Spoiler:
Maven89 wrote:Hey, do any dead people know what happened to me night 1? My kill never went through and I wound up dead, I'm guessing I was RB'd and Nk'd?

Who was supposed to have died?

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:36 am UTC

Crossover @Moody

Spoiler:
Zynth. I found his defense of Gamma over the top and gross, making him suspicious, while also thinking that he'd be hard to get lynched.
Because he was bus drivered, I should have hit the Sir Gabriel and blown up with him, but that didn't happen. So I assume I was Rb'd and NK'd

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:58 am UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
I have no more energy left to spare. If I'm lynched today so be it. It's probably Ryu + Sabrar.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:07 pm UTC

Crossover
Spoiler:
Heart is racing. Who knew you could get adrenaline rushes from a forum game. Time to add a whole bunch of people to the "Will never trust BoomFrog again" list.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:21 pm UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
"WTF, was that hammer"--Everyone alive but Sabrar
I had to go back to the start of the day to count since YOLOSWAG hasn't posted any votals for D5 (ctrl+f Vote is your friend), but yes that was it. Obviously I think Sabrar already knew that was it; I even have a quote ready for the end of game in case town doesn't get it's shit together.

Emperor Sabrartine wrote:Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. It was *I* who allowed the town to lynch scum D1. My team were quite safe from your pitiful little band.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:30 pm UTC

Crossover:
Spoiler:
Did we lose? I have no idea what just happened.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:01 pm UTC

Crossover
Spoiler:
This feels mean. Is this mean? I gotta keep up appearances just in case, right? :wink:

plytho

Postby plytho » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:35 pm UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
I realize now that my optimism was misplaced, but I'll let scum freak out about that a little until the flip.
he him his

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:05 pm UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
Given all the images that the DGamers like to put up, this post from Trial of the Pariahs would have fit right in.

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:22 pm UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
Even though I felt like giving up at some point I still tried. If we lost, I don't regret anything but am open to reconsidering what I could have done better. I can see my pushes may have gotten some players to mistrust me but I got distracted. GG Sabrar. My guess is scum is Sabrar Plytho and Madge.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:42 pm UTC

Spoiler:
lol

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:48 pm UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
I will say, I don't mind if the game is over. I'm tired and I'm at a point where I'd just like to know who the mafia are and what was going on in the whole game.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:53 pm UTC

Crossover
Spoiler:
Wow, I played so bad this game :(

Oh well, now awful reads can be part of my town meta?

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:23 am UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
So, I used barrier again. SURPRISE I can use a spell more than once. People may have thought I was limited to using each ability once, but that is not the case. It's too bad I may not be the kill though. Game might have been over but since I can use Barrier again, there might be a chance that we can survive. If Ryu is not killed I will suspect him. I think we might just lose though.

Return to “Mafia”