The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Madge

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Madge » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:49 am UTC

Also I need friends on pokemon go! Give me more gifts! I'll send you stuff. 916226255893 - cheers.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:54 am UTC

I've got 35 days + national and regional holidays, hundreds of sick days to take over my entire career + nice maternity and paternity options which is useful because
Spoiler:
we're expecting and I'm so excited and I might not be able to play a lot of mafia after march next year.
(that wasn't a game spoiler)
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

wam

Postby wam » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:56 am UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
So my view is to let day 5 run through it. Then I will see what happens. As Moody and mpolo can gang up on sabrar. Also watching sabrar surprise is good. I'm amazed he didn't twig to the fact that as I didn't reveal mpolo alignment he may come back into the game.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:59 am UTC

o m g

Spoiler:
CONGRATS PLYTHO AND MR/MS/MX PLYTHO

(also not really a spoiler)
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:02 am UTC

@plytho

Spoiler:
congratulations!!!

wam

Postby wam » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:10 am UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
So I am working through various possible game scenarios in my head. I think I'm going to call a sabrar win. As in my view the kill takes place prior to a lynch. Assuming all actions are presubmitted, only fair way to remove the time element.

Edit and I'm working on the basis that sabrar would eventually work out Moody's role name. And making him spend weeks guessing is harsh.

Also to comply with my bolded rules I am going to As
t he other halfs opinion tongiht!

Thoughts?

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:25 am UTC

Chaos:
Spoiler:
I think that it's not impossible Sabrar will try something different once mpolo comes back tomorrow, such as try to persuade mpolo to vote moody or to try to kill moody with a guess. If he tries either, then there's a chance that moody and mpolo decide to lynch Sabrar anyway, and for whatever reason hammer before Sabrar can kill mpolo (e.g. due to having tried to kill moody). So I'd wait until D6 has been resolved at the very least. But I'd also suggest making it pseudo-nightless for the remainder of the game, to speed things up (and offer an early day end if all living players agree).
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:39 am UTC

Chaos @jimbob

Spoiler:
that makes sense. Will put a short deadline in and announce shortened nights/days.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:05 pm UTC

Chaos
Spoiler:
I had to resist the urge to post in the game thread saying "Damn right, I fooled you all" in my best Aaron Paul impression. By the way I'm at the end of D1 spoilerwise and it's already quite amusing, this is really an excellent game.
—◯-◯

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:07 pm UTC

wam's Chaos:
Spoiler:
Poor moody, hoping to recruit Sabrar... I'm curious to see what everybody is going to do when mpolo pop backs in again saying "Hi guys! Hey, Sabrar, please don't kill me again, otherwise moody and I will lynch you...".
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

plytho

Postby plytho » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:36 am UTC

Real life:
Spoiler:
Madge wrote:CONGRATS PLYTHO AND MR/MS/MX PLYTHO
wam wrote:congratulations!!!
Thanks guys!

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:48 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I've also heard that the norm in the US is for time off due to ill health coming from your vacation time. Is that true? Over here, that's against the law.

Yeah, while I've worked places that keep them in separate pools, it's pretty normal here in the States to just have one "Personal Time Off" category that covers both sick time and vacation.

Of course, that encourages people to come into work sick, which makes the rest of the office sick, which reduces overall productivity.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:06 pm UTC

Plytho
Spoiler:
Congrats!

PoGo
Spoiler:
Madge wrote:Also I need friends on pokemon go! Give me more gifts! I'll send you stuff. 916226255893 - cheers.

Done, and now I want to see someone run a PoGo-themed follow-up to the brutal Tamagotchi Mafia.

OhNo (Leave)
Spoiler:
I get a decent amount of paid annual leave which accumulates over time, but if I try to save up more than a couple of year's worth then I get automatically put on leave to use up the balance (which is more about organisational liability than care for employees, but it's still not a bad idea). And that's separate to Personal Leave (for sick days and various other purposes), and Long Service Leave which I now have a big chunk of that I should use for some grand purpose. I really appreciate the quite generous working conditions I have.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:07 pm UTC

You'd think having separate buckets with generous allowances that mean most people don't come close to using all their sick time would mean that people would take more sick days and not come to work sick, but nooo. That doesn't happen.

1) I once overhead my manager telling a colleague that he was "feeling better, he's taken a lot of cold and flu tablets so he can function". Way to set a good example!

2) Multiple people proudly declare they haven't taken a sick day in "5 years" or "20 years", and I'm aghast because there is no way their colds, flus, and other assorted sicknesses have conveniently relegated themselves to weekends and holidays

So you know.... it's probably somewhat similar only you don't have people showing up because if they didn't they wouldn't get paid (this is actually a lie: in my department we have two classes of employees, permanent and contractors, and contractors don't get sick time or holidays; fwiw the two people above were permanent employees)

@ConMan: thanks for adding me on POGO! I'm going to get my 20 gifts any minute now and am currently incubating 9 alolan eggs hoping for my damn Mr Mime, then all I need is mewtwo to finish the Kanto dex!

plytho

Postby plytho » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:53 pm UTC

Madge wrote:2) Multiple people proudly declare they haven't taken a sick day in "5 years" or "20 years", and I'm aghast because there is no way their colds, flus, and other assorted sicknesses have conveniently relegated themselves to weekends and holidays
I'm one of those people but I think I've mostly just been lucky. I took a couple of days when I sprained my ankle two years ago but I haven't had the flu in years. I do have the occasional cold but that's not really something people stay home for over here.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:06 pm UTC

Texas Hold'Em will start Tuesday after the long weekend (for me at least). Looks like it will probably be 10 players at present, but there's still time to sign up.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:06 am UTC

how married are we to holiday-themed games happening in/around their holiday?

Because depending how long LaserGuy's and Sungura's respective games run for, Halloween will probably run in December and Secret Santa in January. Me and Sabrar have not made much progress on the modding (all my bad, I decided to stop discussing it with him when I found out he was scum Wam's game and really didn't want to risk myself making jabs at him for that because yes I am exactly that sort of petty person), so I am happy to skip it. (Or, I guess, we could run Secret Santa in December and Halloween in January).

Do we have a volunteer for a mod for Secret Santa? Traditionally it's a new mod every year, and it's a great way to sink your teeth into modding because you don't have to come up with roles, just kinda sorta make sure they're a bit balanced.

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:10 am UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:Yeah, while I've worked places that keep them in separate pools, it's pretty normal here in the States to just have one "Personal Time Off" category that covers both sick time and vacation.
I have 20(?) total “paid time off” days off a year I don’t even know how many because I never use them all (vacation and sick days are in the same bucket) + 10 paid holidays. But everyone’s missing the point I was trying to make, that many people don’t even use all their vacation days. Because it’s never a good time to be away. Because whenever I think about taking a day off I think about all the things that will go wrong when I am away. That’s why many companies are moving toward an accrual cap (to avoid the technicality of “use it or lose it” which is illegal). To force us to go on vacation, and to avoid having to pay it down when we accumulate too much. So my cap is 30(?) days. If I go over 30, I don’t get any more until I use some. The accountant warned me yesterday that I needed to use some days soon and I was like yeah right, when?

And JudeMorrigan, you’re posting in the wrong thread again. The sign up thread is at the top of the page. :P

Madge wrote:I wonder how he'd feel about getting less than 20 days, he was looking forward to going to Burning Man and taking some time to visit a few different places when opportunities presented themselves.
Was he really thinking of going to Burning Man for the whole week?

plytho wrote: we're expecting and I'm so excited and I might not be able to play a lot of mafia after march next year.
I’m so excited for you! I officially approve of your reason for decreasing your participation level. Note that this is not an approval to leave us though. :)

LaserGuy wrote: Texas Hold'Em will start Tuesday after the long weekend (for me at least). Looks like it will probably be 10 players at present, but there's still time to sign up.
I’m so excited! So lurkers, you still have a few days! jimbobmacdoodle has offered to mentor a lucky newbie if needed! LaserGuy, if we have an influx anxious newbies that request mentors, I would gladly volunteer.

Madge wrote: Because depending how long LaserGuy's and Sungura's respective games run for, Halloween will probably run in December and Secret Santa in January. Me and Sabrar have not made much progress on the modding (all my bad, I decided to stop discussing it with him when I found out he was scum Wam's game and really didn't want to risk myself making jabs at him for that because yes I am exactly that sort of petty person), so I am happy to skip it. (Or, I guess, we could run Secret Santa in December and Halloween in January).
Madge, isn’t you’re game based off a TV show and not necessarily Halloween themed? If yes then why don’t you just move to January. Soon as we know approximately when Texas Hold’em will end someone should let Sungura know so that she can have her game ready.

If we don’t get a volunteer for Secret Santa I guess we can try to recruit someone. We have a little while still.

Working on Chaos shout outs...

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:25 am UTC

RE taking days off: can't you just.... take the day off and to hell with whatever happens while you're gone? When I took 3.5 weeks off earlier this year, I had some big projects that were at bad positions but my workplace just had to deal with that by handing them to people who could handle them, because that's what you do when someone goes on holiday? Or is the culture really bad in that respect? If so, can't you go to work tomorrow and say "I'm taking two weeks off at the end of January" and then they can work out how to deal with that?

I'm sure he was thinking of going to burning man for the whole week! He was at our local equivalent (Blazing Swan) for 5 days and loved it.

My halloween game is based off a TV show, but Brooklyn 99 has a famous yearly Halloween episode (http://brooklyn99.wikia.com/wiki/Halloween_Plots) which is why I thought it'd be a good idea. That said, I don't see anything wrong with rescheduling Halloween for after Christmas.

I finally PMed Sabrar and I think we're coming up with some good stuff. (We make a great team. I propose a ridiculous, completely unworkable mafia idea and he proposes a way to make it actually acceptable, but because my idea was ridiculous and unworkable, it's somehow really cool and different).

Bessie, have you run Secret Santa before? Maybe it's your time :lol:

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:46 am UTC

Last call for poker mafia. I will be putting together role PMs and flavor this evening.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:46 am UTC

Is it going to end up being 10, 11, or 12 players? Seeing as me and Sabrar signed up as flexible slots, was wondering.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:48 am UTC

I've put you and Sabrar as players if that's okay.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:02 am UTC

Yeah, completely fine by me, just wondering what the final balance would be.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:36 am UTC

Also fine with me.

bessie

Postby bessie » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:50 am UTC

Come on lurkers, we need one more for LaserGuy to have his preferred number of 13 players!

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:48 pm UTC

Did anyone promote this in Forum Games? Is it too late to do that?
—◯-◯

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:48 pm UTC

Madge posted on there 2 days ago, don't think we're likely to get any more last minute people.

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:15 am UTC

But we're so close! Ok, someone sign up and I will bake you chocolate chip cookies!

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:37 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em
Spoiler:
Finally a nice, relaxing game of VT. :(

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:49 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em
Spoiler:
Town draws:
6h/3c/5d/2c/3h/Kd/Qh/6d/Qc
Scum draws:
2s/Ks/3s

This actually is probably one of the more balanced draws I think. Two trackers + Vig vs. Rolestopper. This setup does have potential for some very imbalanced setups (5+ Town PRs vs all goons, for example), but the bulk of scenearios are going to be 3-4 PRs for Town and 0-1 for scum, which is about what I want for this.

Town has two mislynches and one misvig available to them. Note that there are no protective roles in this setup, so Town PRs need to be very careful about claiming any results. Town PRs also have to worry about scum's ability to make strong counterclaims against Town PRs since a PR does not guarantee a Town flip and there are a lot of potential PRs.

Hopefully this will work okay. My gut feeling is that this particular iteration of the setup is probably okay, maybe a touch scumsided.

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:47 pm UTC

Texas
Spoiler:
I'm Town Vig

wam

Postby wam » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:03 pm UTC

Texas

Spoiler:
so town watcher let's try to survive day 1.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:59 am UTC

Texas Hold'em

Spoiler:
this setup looks like so much fun! i love the roles, they're familiar and refreshing. i know i've seen that use of gunsmith on the mafia wiki before, for example. and i love the way that the roles are dealt. here's hoping the setup lives up to it!

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:06 am UTC

Texas Hold'em

Spoiler:
ARGGGGHHH WHY WON'T THIS DAMN CONFIRMATION PHASE END WE'VE GOT 9 SURELY THAT'S ENOUUUUUUGHHHH!!!

In other news, I'm town.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:42 am UTC

Texas Hold'em

Spoiler:
Incredibly common meta read because I'm bored: the other people who have posted in here are probably non-mason town, seeing as like me, they have noone to chat to currently.

Now, to have these posts make me look like a PR who can't wait to play. Hopefully.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:33 am UTC

Texas
Spoiler:
Vic wrote:Was it possible for any Mafia to receive a face card as a safe claim?

Zebra wrote:Does Mafia have any kind of additional information about the actual PR-roles that Town have?

I have no idea why either of you thought I would ever answer this sort of question. I was telling you mafia had safe claims to be nice and to preempt any thoughts of mass claiming (though mass claim is already really bad for Town actually), not so that you could go on a fishing expedition as to the mechanics.

FWIW, I hadn't actually given a lot of thought to how this would affect game integrity one way or the other. I dealt mafia five cards, one of which did happen to be a PR. I dunno, maybe if they had got two or three I would have thrown them back in the pile.

FWIW, at this point in the game, I would have Sabrar/Vic as Town and plytho as scum lean. The actual scum team are all hard nulls at the moment.

[edit]@Below: Vic, you should know better than to make meta reads off of GoJoe.

[edit2]I'm also confused why people think I would be changing my answer between a private question and a public one.
Last edited by LaserGuy on Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:38 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:45 am UTC

Texas Hold'em

Spoiler:
I would bet a fairly large amount that LaserGuy's post here right now was about that mod question getting a different answer from when Sabrar originally asked it (hell, the other LaserGuy post in here was probably about the question too!). Just makes me think Sabrar's even townier than before unless he's pulling off an amazing con. Don't want to get reads of meta stuff like this, but what can you do, you notice stuff...

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:18 am UTC

Texas Hold'em
Spoiler:
Just for the record, I didn't ask LaserGuy before as the answer seemed obvious.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:11 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em

Spoiler:
BoomFrog's got a really good constructive point about me being kind of closed. Of course that's a deep personality point more than playstyle, so modifying it would have to be an ongoing process. It is nice to have some reason for my slightly scummy meta that I've had all along.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:58 pm UTC

Texas Hold'em
Spoiler:
Zebra wrote:On second thought you might have misread it as either alignment.

Yeah... I actually realized my assumption must be wrong but posted it anyway so that I'd get called out and could explain because I knew the misunderstanding came from a townie POV. So... yeah...
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Return to “Mafia”