The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

LaserGuy

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:35 pm UTC

Chaos
Spoiler:
Think of a gambit less of a way of generating reads and more of a way of generating content.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:03 am UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
I'll believe that when noone mentions the word gambit in their reads. And I don't think we really have an issue in generating content, if anything, we keep saying 'oh dear, there's too much D1 stuff to read over again in detail'. If the game was moving super duper slowly as the deadline for D1 approached, sure, but I think we usually find plenty to talk about outside of gambits too.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:05 am UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
Given the situation, there probably isn't going to be any voting (besides Madge) until late Monday, but I am not optimistic about it. May be for the best, the last several hours I have been taking this game a lot more seriously than is probably good for me. High risk, high reward, high stress.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:36 am UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
Clearly, nothing will go wrong if people just full claim, despite the OP having a bolded mod note saying that the mod doesn't like it.

:roll:

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:32 am UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
Madge is simply the most vanilla town there is. You cannot get any more vanilla town than her.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:21 am UTC

Chaos
Spoiler:
LOL @ Sabrar's rolefishing

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:41 am UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Chaos
Spoiler:
LOL @ Sabrar's rolefishing

Spoiler:
It's just so incredibly blatant I'm surprised anyone's still reading Sabrar as town. Hell, I was think he was super scummy at being all "Yay claims" at the end of D1, and that's coming from me. If the mod says don't claim, don't claim...

Also, she's gonna say "I'm vanilla town" :lol:

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:47 am UTC

wam CHAOS
Spoiler:
Time for another wild guess: mpolo is Arnold Schwarzenegger who said he'd be back and now he's a politician which fits the double-vote. Of course I can't use this unless it's down to a final 3 where conveniently he would be able to hammer me with a single post. So it might be decided upon who is online first where I should have a significant advantage. :D
But I hope it doesn't come to this because a) I'm not 100% sure and b) it would be stupid.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:08 am UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
Arnold Schwarzenegger's job as a politician, followed by his jobs as a Detective, a Surgeon, and a Hunter, right? Zebra's guess actually fits in rather well with what he knows, pretty impressed.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:19 am UTC

ChAotiC MafiA
Spoiler:
So sue me, I'm bored...

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:07 am UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
Ahahahhaahhhaaaaaaaaaa :lol: Sabrar thought he was in a bad position, and it now trying to daykill? Amazing.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:42 am UTC

wam's Chaos:
Spoiler:
Here's my current prediction:
1) Everybody tries to lynch moody today, and when it fails, tomorrow.
2) Sabrar will kill one of the two remaining scum tonight, and then is relying on names to finish things off.
3) Scum will try to kill Sabrar and/or mpolo tonight. Maybe Madge the next night.
4) What happens to Sabrar will largely depend on who's still alive by D5. I could easily see Sabrar versus mpolo versus one scum. Sabrar day kills mpolo, and scum's kill bounces of Sabrar that night. mpolo returns the next day and repeat, unless he and scum can team up to lynch Sabrar before Sabrar comes online. Or mpolo goes after the scum player with Sabrar, in which case he dies to Sabrar's day kill the next day, unless he can rush to hammer Sabrar in a 1v1 situation with his double vote.

@wam - If Sabrar knows mpolo's name, can he effectively keep day killing mpolo until he is able to win?
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:44 am UTC

wam's Chaos:
Spoiler:
EBWOP: mpolo's winning strategy in the him v Sabrar v 1 mafia is to No Lynch and hope he isn't DK'ed on the same day as Sabrar's kill immunity wears out and block the vote until scum successfully NK Sabrar. Then he lynches scum with his double vote. Better would be for Sabrar to be dead already and have another player still around at that point, preferably Madge...
BlitzGirl the Primordial

wam

Postby wam » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:48 am UTC

Chaos mafia

Spoiler:
sabrars timing is annoying! Am Sat at an airport trying to get a hire car! And jimbob will have a think about the prediction. But yes sabrar can keep killing mpolo till mpolo runs out of lives.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:33 pm UTC

wAm cHaOs
Spoiler:
So I guess Madge is the other scum after all and she guessed me being SK. If Madge has odd-night kill then I'm screwed because she's probably killing me tonight (not knowing that I will be out of kills (unless she was the one to role-cop me)). If she has even then I have to make sure we lynch her tomorrow, best way to do it is to kill plytho tonight. Then D5 I quick-kill mpolo (who basically confirmed my suspicion about him) and win against somitomi.
But knowing my luck plytho will turn out to be second scum...

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:26 pm UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
I can't wait to read spoilers and see what everyone's thinking about ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:39 pm UTC

Chaos
Spoiler:
You're doing great Madge. Problem is everyone else is scum so they have no incentive to try to sort you.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:08 pm UTC

Wam's Chaos
Spoiler:
the doomed terminator wrote:My bold text said that I was vanilla town. In so many words.

Oooohhhh.... man's got a point wam. You broke the only real rule of bastard modding.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:00 pm UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
For those of you watching, mpolo was paraphrasing with the MacArthur reference, the actual quote is "I'll be back". Which also ties in nicely with the resurrection power.

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

wam

Postby wam » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:14 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:Wam's Chaos
Spoiler:
the doomed terminator wrote:My bold text said that I was vanilla town. In so many words.

Oooohhhh.... man's got a point wam. You broke the only real rule of bastard modding.

Spoiler:
I disagree he was vanilla town up until the point he died. And then the powers kicked in. Same principle as a cult recruit in my.mind. You are A until so external.factor makes you B.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:51 pm UTC

wam wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I disagree he was vanilla town up until the point he died. And then the powers kicked in. Same principle as a cult recruit in my.mind. You are A until so external.factor makes you B.

Spoiler:
Yeah, I can see that, but it wasn't an external factor. Although I can kinda see what you are saying, it was "You are currently vanilla town." Hidden aspects like insanity have always been fair game like you could say You are a town cop and not be breaking the rule if they are an insane cop. I think the problem is "vanilla" means no powers. Ideally you would have just told mpolo he is town and not mention any powers instead of explicitly saying he was vanilla. All in all it's really not a big deal and it's within the spirit of the advertised chaos.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:00 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:
wam wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Yeah, I can see that, but it wasn't an external factor. Although I can kinda see what you are saying, it was "You are currently vanilla town." Hidden aspects like insanity have always been fair game like you could say You are a town cop and not be breaking the rule if they are an insane cop. I think the problem is "vanilla" means no powers. Ideally you would have just told mpolo he is town and not mention any powers instead of explicitly saying he was vanilla. All in all it's really not a big deal and it's within the spirit of the advertised chaos.

Spoiler:
Yeah, I think wam's method is fine here, high bastardry implies to me that there's a very high chance of hidden aspects to roles, and seeing VT in my role pm would probably make me start jumping to conclusions.

I'm sure Sabrar won't complain when it turns out he's NK and lynch immune for a bit :P

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:01 am UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
Last cards to play. If by some miracle Madge is lynched and I'm wrong, D4 becomes a friggin melee. I have to be right, not have the 1 in four chance that my recruit gets killed (again), and at that point we'll have to get the last scum. If I do pull this off, it will be an SDK-level accomplishment, and I expect the appropriate laurels. Perversely, I am wanting to post "I want to go the distance, even if it doesn't turn out well for me" just to see if Sabrar can riddle it as a Rocky reference and guess my role name.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:32 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote: I was just looking for a new avatar, so I googled "Boom Frog" and frankly, the results are amazing.
Hahaha I need that on a T-shirt. My husband is already suspicious as to who this mysterious “Boom Frog” is that seems to occupy too many of my thoughts (he knows it has something to do with the “game with the scum”). :lol:

I just googled “Bessie Labrador” and found there's a lot of images of Labradors named Bessie. :P And one of them is... mine! :shock: (the studio that did BessieDog’s portrait has some of the pictures on their web page).

wam’s Chaos Mafia
Spoiler:
BoomFrog wrote: Wam requested that we pretend you aren't reading spoilers, so we will avoid quoting you or putting @person on the outside of spoilers.
Yes I intended to try to be ambiguous as possible to the players still alive as to whether or not I was permanently dead and reading spoilers. Vicarin’s N1 Gojoe posting was how I knew he was permanently dead, see here.
bessie wrote:
jimbob wrote:5) Dead people might come back to life (note wam's comments regarding death), so mpolo and/or Mark and/or Vicarin may return.
Meta game read: I know moody hates when I game the game, but I think Vicarin has been too active in Gojoe to be on standby.
So I probably won’t ramp up my Gojoe frequency too much (which was low this game for RL reasons I was too busy and wanted to dedicate all my game time to the game) because want to make sure it doesn’t appear I’m having a conversation with anyone. On the other hand, I would like to contribute to Sabrar’s paranoia as much as possible, so I need to find the right balance.

BoomFrog wrote: Also, before you read spoilers I'd like to hear what you think of Madge this game.
I am 100% sure Madge is not vanilla town and Madge knows her power. Hmm, checking my spreadsheet, I had her as a town lean on D1 (really? why?). I was pretty sure she was scum D2 up until I did my reads list over the weekend. Then she signaled me she had some kind of result in her next post. That post had pinged me since I read it but quite honestly I just didn’t have time to reevaluate Madge before deadline. If she’s scum she’s not a lynch priority for me on D2, if she’s town with an investigative power she’s not a danger to somitomi. Quick glance at the thread, she’s having a spectacular D3, probably her towniest ever.

Back in a bit when I’ve read through the spoilers.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:18 am UTC

i was curious what would happen if i googled madge... i found this

Spoiler:

(behind a spoiler because it has mildly nsfw language but only if like you work at a church kindergarten or something... still)
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:48 am UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
Kind of funny how most people think there's 2 scum, Sabrar and moody think there's 3, but noone thinks there's 4.... :lol:

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:50 pm UTC

wam Chaos
Spoiler:
Despite my attack on Madge I'm thinking plytho is B once again. This is just a setup for tomorrow.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:25 am UTC

wam's Chaos Mafia

Spoiler:
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4391052#p4391052
the other puppy wrote: @bessie: you always say that Madge is brilliant and now that she's the only one seeing the true me me me you don't listen to her...
Haha I knew you were scum from at least page 3. I was pretty sure you knew I was scum (I told somitomi this in chat). Hmm, I thought.....Sabrar knew I knew he knew? :?

Anyway, as I suspected, Sabrar way overthought things and killed me one day too soon (see here), and, as I suspected, he’s alone. It appears that Sabrar totally read it wrong. I wasn’t going to kill him and I wasn’t going to let him get lynched (until almost toward the end). I find it interesting, it didn’t occur to him that we could have worked together to clear out everyone else first. We would have had a voting block of 3 on D3. Sabrar, why did you not figure this out when I put you at the top of Woof-Grr? Did you forget your meta read, and BoomFrog’s meta read of me me me?

BoomFrog wrote: Sabrar gets so mopey when solo scum convinced the setup is unbalanced against him.
You think? :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:

Cool, I was pretty close on my setup spec (6-2-2-1-1). 8-)

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I'm not in the least bit surprised by my death, despite my attempt to protect myself last night: a) I was secretly macho, and b) I was targeted by BOTH mafia kills and only protected myself once. I mean, I know I was the towniest town that ever towned, but I was also completely off in my reads.
Sorry jimbob, I would have probably killed plytho. :lol: I got busy N2 and didn’t have an opportunity to put any time toward thinking about the game, so somitomi picked the kill, and I think he was concerned that you were suspicious of me. It was probably best for somitomi anyway, as I wouldn’t have been there to distract you on D3 and you might have looked more closely at him. :P

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4389981#p4389981
BoomFrog wrote: I'm not as stubborn as Bessie (few things are)

Well! Sniff.jpg
Well! Sniff.jpg (54.82 KiB) Viewed 1084 times

I'll be back. :P

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:05 pm UTC

Chaos (not really spoilery)

Spoiler:
Just decided to see what my record on being alive at the end of games is, and this is the last 3 years (17 games):

Santa 2017- town, loss
Halloween 2017- scum, loss
Halloween 2015- town, win

:lol: :cry: :lol: :cry:

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:07 am UTC

WAM chaos:
Spoiler:
I've realized that being SK doesn't really help developing good scum-hunting skills as I simply don't care whether I am right in any particular read. I'm pretty sure that plytho is scum but some of his sparring with bessie looks genuine, somitomi's content is very light so I'm mostly just sheeping others' read on him and I don't think I would be able to differentiate between town!Madge and scum!Madge. Given those posts how could I??

@bessie: even when we're both scum we don't get to be on the same side... The universe just hates us. :(
Apologies for killing you, I'm glad though that it was a good choice that revealed the setup. Besides you would have been very dangerous. Will probably have to kill your buddy tonight. It's plytho, right? :D

Edit: if I end up getting lynched tomorrow just remember, as promised in my opening post it was me once again who won this game for Town. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:55 pm UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
Still absolutely baffled that anyone would think Sabrar's power is townie. If there's a mod warning about claiming names, and then someone claims to be able to kill based off names, well...

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:32 am UTC

chAos
Spoiler:
Lynching Madge today would be ideal if I could be sure that moody won't kill me tonight, but I can't even push for it.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:42 am UTC

wam's Chaos:
Spoiler:
Madgetastic wrote:Ugh, I forgot people think I"m scum, and if I'm scum predicting the team of another scum isn't very helpful. Damnit. I was hoping if moody flips the way I think he will (and watch him turn out to be SK, that would be just my luck), I would end up getting cred. Obviously not. Grr!!!
Poor Madge...! I'm just hoping that moody gets "lynched" and we get to see everybody's reactions to his lynch immunity. Also, I'm really interested to see who scum are going to kill tonight. I could see them a) both going after Sabrar, b) plytho going after somitomi, and somitomi after plytho, or c) mpolo (or some combination of these three). I don't think Madge is on the cards tonight.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:31 pm UTC

Chaos:
Spoiler:
I think there's a decent chance that both Mafia groups will be wiped out today. Sabrar is going to be looking at targeting either plytho or somitomi most likely, and it wouldn't surprise me if one of them was going to target the other.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:38 pm UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
I hope everybody still playing has something comfy for their jaw to land on when my flip comes up. Only thing that would make it funnier is if they weren't going to be notified that cult was gone.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:45 pm UTC

Chaos
Spoiler:
I think the game is basically Sabrar's to lose. There just aren't enough phases left to eat through all of his immunities.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:57 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Chaos
Spoiler:
I think the game is basically Sabrar's to lose. There just aren't enough phases left to eat through all of his immunities.

Chaos

Spoiler:
Yeah I'm now regretting putting them in but it's written now and changing now would be very bastard.

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:03 pm UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
Wait, what?
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:17 pm UTC

Chaos
Spoiler:
Damn, didn't count on that one... Scum with lynch-immunity? Truly Survivor? That would mean both Madge and plytho are scum?
Screwed me right up, as scum will probably kill mpolo who I hoped to day-vig at the opportune moment.
Do I just withhold here? Only 1 kill causes some chaos, might get to lynch moody again but that means the other scum gets a shot tomorrow night.
If mpolo is somehow scum he could kill me as I can be reasonably assumed to have guessed his identity...
I have no idea what should be my play. I think I must withhold. Using my last shot without knowing what's going on seems very bad.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:25 pm UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
STILL ALIVE, SUCKADUCKS!!!

Honestly, I had no idea that was going to happen, although it lends some cred to my "you really ought to lynch Madge first."
proposal. As for D4, I have no idea what the hell is going to happen.

Return to “Mafia”