The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby dimochka » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:49 pm UTC

WoT2
Spoiler:
I just realized that I'm Green Ajah, but need to protect White tower. I assumed I was white... clearly should learn how to read. I have no clue what this means. I think i'm town though... people were saying how all those Ajahs are good other than Black...
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:20 pm UTC

Wheel of Time 2:
Spoiler:
So, I find bessie's latest post quite amusing. She seems to think that there's a link between Sabrar and Carlington, because of how hard Sabrar tried to find a reason to put Carlington as town. Indeed, she is right, there is a link between those two - they are both Black Ajah, but neither knows that the other is!
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

bessie

Postby bessie » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:50 am UTC

Wheel of Time 2:

Spoiler:
Well it looks like I’m going to be stilled. However, my impending lynch will not stop me from taking my best shot at catching mafia before I go!

This really smarts though, because I can’t respond to it, per mod decree not to claim receipt/non receipt of said pm (this is from matt96, I don’t want to quote it because I don’t want it to show up in his notifications).

What sticks out the most to me regarding Bessie's initial rolespeculation is how it seems the entire point of it is to be intentionally provocative. I can't find a single thing I like about it from the comment about only some town being receuitable, to the only 2 mafia, to the lack of accounting for the faction we know to exist, and despite not liking, Bessie's defense of the spec, I don't find it to be indicative of scum.

And I don’t want to go the “pm gambit” route anyway. But I will say I would have played this differently if I received that second pm before the game started.

Re this post from Gopher of Pern:

Way too defensive. I asked for a reason to include a recruiter in your setup spec, and you give several non-answers, and protest that your speculation is not unreasonable. And you didn't feel the need to quote where the mod specifically said that their are possible alignment changes? That smacks of post-hoc justification. It's not as if people haven't misread the rules before. Your final reason is a guess? Yeah, I don't believe you.

I never said that your speculation was unreasonable, or wrong. I simply asked your reasons for it, as I found it unusual. Your defence of it has pinged me like nothing else in this game.

Another thing that I don't really have a good answer for, because I wrote my initial post before I knew everybody had that second pm with the third party win condition.

I don't even know where I was initially planning to go with the recruiter theory any more, but I thought we may have had one when I wrote it. I could explain it as metagaming the game, and I never thought there was anything wrong with that before, but moody seems to think there is, and I respect him as a player and take his criticisms seriously. This game has really shaken my beliefs on what I thought was acceptable as game content and behavior.

ahippo

Postby ahippo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:37 am UTC

WoT2:
Spoiler:
You can read spoilers so you must already know that JudeMorrigan is as right as right can be about me. Damn, I'm impressed.
my re-read did not improve my opinion of ahippo. It's really not even about his getting the number of ajahs wrong. I'm pretty ok with chalking that one up to a dumb mistake of the sort I've been all too prone to making myself. I'd mentioned my suspicions that "I'm not expecting to be much of a leader." was him trying to send a signal to his faction mate(s). On re-read, this jumped out at me as well: "So it seems likely that there is more than one anti-town faction, or maybe one anti-town one neutral. Obviously, it's possible for the Amyrlin to die or get deposed so there's probably a mechanic to instate another one." Sure, sure. You can infer the second half of that from the extra PM we got, but ahippo ALSO went on to say in a subsequent post: "I guess if I were to update my sentiments on that PM, whomever has that win condition is likely pro-town but don't care who's Amyriln." Feels to me like he's trying to cover up a slip.

Are you a freakin' telepath?

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:56 pm UTC

WoT2

Spoiler:
Well, shit. If Diemo flips town I'm gonna have a lotta splainin' to do; but at least Sabrar will have more.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:40 pm UTC

WoT2
Spoiler:
Uh how did this thing suddenly shift to Diemo? I'm taking some of the blame... unless scum somehow teamed up to do that? I don't even know...
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

matt96

Postby matt96 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:12 pm UTC

WoT 2
Spoiler:
I hope I made a good decision making my power public knowledge in exchange for saving bessie from the lynch.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:19 am UTC

WoT2
Spoiler:
I've come to the conclusion that it's frustrating not to know who your scum-buddy is and not being able to coordinate.

Also WoT2
Spoiler:
@bessie (hope you will read this): what I said about misremembering your comment was absolutely true and I've built my whole case against you because of that faulty memory. After I realized the mistake I didn't feel like discarding it ('too much invested to quit' effect) so I posted it nevertheless, willing to justify it later. Seeing that I'm scum it obviously contained a biased viewpoint however I never would have done it if I knew it would upset you to that degree. It's not who I am or how I play.
Last edited by Sabrar on Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:03 pm UTC

WoT2
Spoiler:
Someone gave me a 1-shot Cop ability. :D
Unfortunately I will probably have to use it and report a true result if I want to appear townie, as that's a powerful ability to have.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:33 pm UTC

WoT2:
Spoiler:
Well, that night certainly went swimmingly. ahippo is going down.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:09 am UTC

WoT2:

Spoiler:
My "well, shit" was actually pretty sincere. I had very much wanted bessie to take that lynch. My scummates don't know who each other are, and I'm afraid that Sabrar thought I was trying to save a teammate from the lynch. This puts me in a *much* more awkward situation, and his being on that wagon doesn't help. And I have a very bad feeling about that mass ajah claim. If it comes out that I'm Alviarin, it's game over for me. But I don't see a way to go against it without looking terrible.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:25 am UTC

MMM (all may read)

Spoiler:
Was so excited to see it start up again, only to get killed right away!!! :( :(

I got some lovely death flavour so thankyou mods!!!!!
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:52 am UTC

MMMII
Spoiler:
Looks like scum won because of Godfather... :(

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:55 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:MMMII
Spoiler:
Looks like scum won because of Godfather... :(

MMMII

Spoiler:
I KNOW. THAT CROOK KILLED ME. HE SHOULD BE DESTROYED AT ONCE :(
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:20 am UTC

MMM II
Spoiler:
I really don't know what's going to happen now. I'm the remaining Mafioso (godfather), and Mpolo has no more reason to cop, and claims to have an alternative "self-defence" power (which might just prevent my night kill, or might kill me for visiting him). Polite conversation by day, mexican standoff by night?

kalira

Postby kalira » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:24 pm UTC

MMM II:

Spoiler:
Read spoilers since I didn't think I would be needed as replacement anymore.

JUST SAYING: There is no rule in the initial post that says that hammer ends the day... Town still has a chance until a mod ends day.

If mpolo does have some protection ability (that isn't one- or several-shot), how DOES this game end? Per opening post, ties end in no lynch, and Znirk would be theoretically correct that night would be a Mexican standoff.

Dje hasn't been online for more than two weeks -- I hope all is well in his world.
plytho wrote:Isn't bowling just a subcategory of pottery?

kalira

Postby kalira » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:19 pm UTC

MMM II:

Spoiler:
bessie wrote:That’s the hammer. Please stand by.

Aww.
plytho wrote:Isn't bowling just a subcategory of pottery?

ahippo

Postby ahippo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:18 am UTC

ahippo wrote:Yellow Ajah. I've been playing healers for years.

If any of you play Overwatch, I'd love to join you. My Battle.net tag is ahippo#1333. My favorite characters are Lucio, Zenyatta, and Mercy.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:22 am UTC

WoT2:
Spoiler:
I find myself in a position with a lot of potential. I'm Black Ajah, masquerading as Red Ajah. We don't have any chat, and we only get a kill once one of us dies. The head of our faction knows who we all are, but each other player only knows the head of the faction, not the rest. There are two recruiting factions in the game, and the scum wincon is to have enough players recruited to hold the balance of power in at least one of the recruiting factions.
Alongside this, I have a rolecop ability. I copped bessie last night, and found out she's a doctor. This gives me the ability to claim cop, and benefit from bessie's protection (i oughtn't need it, NKs won't happen) thus gaining the trust of town.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:39 am UTC

WoT2:

Spoiler:
For the record - I actually *am* confused by what seem to me like mischaracterizations that SirGabriel and GoP are making of my stated logic for voting for Diemo. I think there's an excellent chance that town!Jude would have placed the same vote for the same reasons.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:55 pm UTC

Wheel of Time 2:
Spoiler:
Sabrar's comment about a possible pairing between Gopher and SirGabriel is pretty amusing given that they are Siuan and Elaida and effectively direct opposites...
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:11 pm UTC

WoT2:
Spoiler:
I'm much worse as scum when I have no idea what powers are out there, I always second-guess myself and go for the wrong gambit. For example it would be convenient for me to claim Jailer (I'm a just a Roleblocker) because then I could more easily justify targeting anyone, however I'm afraid that there is actually a Jailer in play and they would probably not accept 2 of those. So now I have to target someone who is Town but who I can find a reason to consider scummy. I hope that my leader does not bus the third member of our team, so anyone he votes for should be fair game.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:26 pm UTC

WOT 2:
Spoiler:
So, theory time here:

There is no standard mafia.

Most of the 'town' is independant, and there are two recruiting factions trying to control the vote.
I am the leader of one faction, and my recruit failed the first night on ahippo. Which is why I'm gunning hard for them.
I'm gunning hard for bessie too, as I think they knew that there was recruiting in this game, which probably makes them part of the other faction.
If things are going bad for me the next day, I may try a gambit, and reveal myself. I have the advantage of being the 'good' faction, so I may be able to convince those undecided to join my side. I have already begun placing seeds of that plan into action.

If there is another deathless night, I would be very confident of my theory.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:41 pm UTC

WoT2:

Spoiler:
The general blah and defeated tone of my last post was not feigned. It's no one's fault but my own, I really need to accept that mafia is just not my game. I should probably co-mod a game sometime, but playing it? Probably not really for me. I *do* have to continue to try though in this game for the sake of my teammates though. I just hope that Sabrar won't hesitate to throw me under the bus when the time comes though. Which may be for another game day or two yet.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:56 am UTC

MMM II (everyone except kalira may read)
Spoiler:
Please forgive this final delay, I will have this up as soon as I am able! This weekend! Thank you all for your patience and understanding.

MMM II @kalira
Spoiler:
Just kidding. You can read it.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:19 am UTC

Wheel of Time II:

Spoiler:
For those watching at home, I am an Accepted, which means I can inherit any power (not alignment) from dead characters. That Brown power looks too hard to get anything out of it, though. I am "unaligned" (town).
Image <-- Evil experiment

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:47 pm UTC

WoT2:
Spoiler:
Ok, I'm going to need advice after the game. Obviously I'm Scummy McScumFace, but I've mostly been trying really hard to play this game like I would if I were town. Had I not been afraid that people would conclude that it was a change in my meta, I would have hopped onto the bessie wagon early and stayed there with fewer posts. That would have been a *really* easy play. But I truly believe that even if were town, I would have concluded that bessie was town and would have only had a couple of weak scum reads. (And everything I said about my issues with Diemo's post were true. I really do firmly believe I would have had exactly those same issues had I been town. Which may not reflect positively on my scum-hunting abilities, but is what it is.)

If I had been town and given that situation - not buying into the main wagon and not having super-strong reads - what *should* I have done. My theory was that the townier thing to do would be to put a vote on one of my weak reads to give traceability. Would it have made more sense (even without knowing that the wagon would swing like that) for town!Jude to have sat on his vote D1?

bessie

Postby bessie » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:31 am UTC

Wheel of Time II
Spoiler:
I am playing my worst game ever! I have absolutely no reads. I usually have something. I'll take even a wrong something, anything...I have nothing! And I'm not a gut player so I don't even have that.

Just an odd coincidence I was so busy this week. I spent most of my available time wrapping up MMM II (wow modding is time consuming!). I'm not a natural writer, so it took me days to write the closing flavor (but it was really fun seeing how many 1988 references I could hide in there). Also, the Labrador rescue group needed to come by for an interview and home check, to see if we are worthy! Looks good, they were very impressed that the previous dog lived to be 16 yrs old (ancient for a lab).

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:05 am UTC

WoT2
Spoiler:
I blocked ahippo N1 so I know he won't get any results tonight. :D
Unfortunately if I want to claim my ability truthfully then I might have to reveal that tomorrow should he not be lynched today. :(

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:00 am UTC

WoT2:
Spoiler:
I wish Sabrar hadn't asked me to revisit my setup spec. As is, I'm very worried that I'm going to get caught out for my lies and lack of knowledge about the fact that the people with Diemo's wincon were "factionless". I've been very seriously considering doing a "full claim" where I drop all of my setup spec knowledge and say that I was withholding it in hopes of catching scum out. I could still plausibly do that as late as early D3, but it's a gambit with some really severe risks as well.

Beyond that, I wish there were a safe way to signal to Sabrar who his other teammate is, but I just don't see a way to do that without seriously risking all of us going down as soon as one of us does.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:05 pm UTC

Wheel of Time 2:
Spoiler:
Well, that's interesting. SirG just false claimed a character that is actually in the game. And he is likely to know that Siuan is as well, since he's Elaida... Unfortunately, I think he made a big mistake with his reference to the flavour - he did receive that information in the flavour, but it is inaccurate (Elaida was convinced about there not being a Black Ajah at this point). The interesting question is: will Gopher counter-claim at this point? I'm looking forward to the build-up to the new deadline...!
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:54 pm UTC

WoT2
Spoiler:
Ok, so it looks like we have 4 factions, probably each with 3 members.
- Siuan,
- Elaida,
- Black Ajah,
- unaligned,
but some players will assume that there are 6 unaligneds, no Black Ajah and the competition is basically between Siuan and Elaida.
Those two have recruitment, we are supposed to infiltrate them by getting targeted with the recruit (but need to eliminate one completely in order to win).
Unfortunately my false-claim is Red Ajah which will look suspicious if the majority agrees that Red is scum.

This looks to be a very long game because until one of us is killed we have no NK. The question is whether the investigative results gained during the initial period will be enough to condemn us all, or if we can stay hidden long enough.

Have I mentioned how frustrating it is not to know who your team mate is? :?
If e.g. Madge gets lynched, turns out be my partner, then me defending her will not look good, and I can't really say that I didn't know she was in my team. I would really hate it if I got lynched because I defended the right person inadvertently. That would really suck.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:16 pm UTC

Replacement needed for Wheel of Time 2. If you're interested, please PM me, SDK, and kalira.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:11 pm UTC

WoT2

Spoiler:
SirGabriel wrote:Okay, I didn't really want to do this, but it looks like ahippo will be lynched if I don't, so I'm going to claim: I am Siuan Sanche, and ahippo is a member of my faction.

WRONG!

As I was Blue Ajah, I happen to know that GoP is actually the Sichuan lady. This plus his subtle attempt at role fishing with the color thing makes it pretty clear he's scum, and trying to pull ahippo's ass out of the fire would seem to say ahippo is too.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:43 pm UTC

WoT2:
Spoiler:
Hoo, boy. I really hated to do that. I would *love* if people generally bought the line that SirGabriel was trying to sell. But that was a really, really obvious lie to anyone familiar with the books. I can only assume he had no idea just how transparent it was. I have to assume that if I didn't call him out on it, *someone* would have. Better that I at least get credit for it. I can only hope that at least I get recruited by Suian after that gift I just gave their faction.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:39 pm UTC

WOT2:
Spoiler:
Damn, now I'm really pissed about the day extension! I had the ahippo lynch in the bag! Now the damn reds are claiming to be me, and spoiling everything! If I reveal, I'm a dead Aes Sedai, and I'm pretty sure thats what they want, a counter-claim. Madge, get your ass on here and save our faction!
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:51 pm UTC

WoT2
Spoiler:
Goddammit, mpolo had missed the significance of SG's slip. If I had just kept my mouth shut, things would have gone far better for me. I made my post assuming he'd notice the inconsistency and was trying to beat him to the rush so I'd get credit for it. On the plus side, it appears to have given Sabrar a lovely opportunity to distance himself from me!

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:38 pm UTC

WoT2:
Spoiler:
So, my reads on people:
Sabrar - Unaligned, has a one-shot cop, unknown other ability
mpolo - Either Black ajah, or has been recruited to the reds. My money is on black.
Carlington - Unaligned
moody / Madge - Siuan's faction. Blue Ajah. Unknown ability
dimochka - Unknown
bessie - Black ajah
Gopher - Siuan. Inventor ability
SirGabriel - Red ajah. Unknown ability
ahippo - red ajah. weave reader.
Jude - Unknown. Has information, so maybe black ajah? Probably independant.
matt - unknown.

SirGabriel, you have some massive balls on you. Props!

One other thing I'd like to mention: It is very unfair to ask if people want an extension. It is impossible to say no to that without coming across as scum. Only two people wanted an extension, but it was granted? It's not fair to the people who don't want an extension. I suppose I could have pm'd the mods to say I don't want one, but still, if no one posts against an extension (and why would they?) it will look suspicious if some do, and the mods don't grant it.

Most of that is probably me being frustrated with the situation.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:55 am UTC

Wheel of Time 2:
Spoiler:
I wouldn't have granted the extension with such a clear vote leader with only two requests, except that one of those came from dimochka, whom we only realised on deadline day was missing the info regarding his faction's recruit limitation. As that would have meant he'd have had no time to react, I felt it was fairer to grant the extension than not.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

ahippo

Postby ahippo » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:46 am UTC

WoT 2:
Spoiler:
I had two options. Go along with SirGabriel's story and get lynched, revealing him as Elaida. OR Go balls to the wall with a crazy story that might lead people to change their votes to him, then change my vote (and hope dimochka does the same) at the last possible moment, to whomever else we might be able to lynch. If I get lynched in the second situation, my story is so full of half truths that people might believe all of it. So that's what I went with.

Sorry SirGabriel. I didn't see how you were gonna get out of this one unless I took the fall HARD.

Return to “Mafia”