The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Opus_723

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Opus_723 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:38 am UTC

Smalltown
Spoiler:
Oh so much for that. The alien invasion is at the END of day 6, which is of course why I have the caveat in my role. Duh. I'm having trouble keeping track of all this.

In other news, the werewolves are pretty much on board with hunting the aliens first, so we should be relatively cooperative for awhile.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:33 pm UTC

Draculafia:
Spoiler:
Vytron, if you are being serious about killing Bessie, I could hug you! Now all we need is for Misnomer to tie the vote just before deadline so I gain might chat and things get hilarious! Now, only question is who to recruit? I think it has to be freezeblade or Dimochka. It basically needs to be whichever of those two to target me.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:57 pm UTC

smalltown
Spoiler:
Oh look i'm willing to be killed so i must be town. Oh shut up, you're clearly not town. Townies want to survive and are outnumbered by non-town right now. Dumbest gambit i've seen in a while.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/her/they/snug/gender neutral

Van

Postby Van » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:06 am UTC

Deathless:
Spoiler:
Y'know, this concept sounded amazing, but it looks like it's playing out like a cross between Spreadsheets: The Game and Diplomacy. Is there a ton of behind the scenes discussion going on?

Smalltown:
Spoiler:
I'm trying something new this game. I opened my alignment PM and promptly closed the tab. Am I town? Am I scum? Am I an alien? I have no idea! I guess I should check tonight to see if I need to send in a kill or something. Hopefully I'm not a lone wolf, there's no way I'll survive for more than a few days. This role takes a bit to kick in, but it's really crazy powerful if you let it build up.

edit: It occurs to me that posting spoilers for Smalltown is almost pointless until people start dying. I get the feeling that everyone who browses the forum is in this game :D
Oregonaut wrote:You are a fucking idiot. (Insult.)
You say that you disapprove of sex before marriage, but you are fucking that idiot. (Ad hominem.)
You say that you disapprove of sex outside of marriage, but you are fucking your mom. (Ad mominem.)

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:20 pm UTC

Out of curiosity: is there a thread or website or something that someone recommends with regards on how to identify a cult vs SK vs mafia etc? Because I often see people talking about trying to lynch group X as a priority, and so people must have different tells to look for, so I would like to learn about them. Maybe I should go back to mafiascum wiki and go through mafia 101.

Going to try and monitor Smalltown in spoilers so if (when???) I replace I will not be totally lost.

Oh wow there's THREE PAGES since I last checked it this morning.

Wow.

I will hopefully get to it tomorrow morning. I'm going to bed. See you all later!!!!!
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:32 pm UTC

Smalltown
Spoiler:
Since I'm vanilla and my role is not very useful (the person knows I'll cop him so the actions are unlikely to be incriminating), may as well rile people up. FWIW the perceptions of those 5 people are actually what I think.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:01 pm UTC

Smalltown:
Spoiler:
Just ran a quick calculation, and I think it was technically possible at the very start of the game for 22 players to die night 1. With the lynch as well, only 3 players would be left alive for day 2. :shock:

It's already impossible for the death toll to be that high and extremely unlikely for it to be anything greater than 5, but it amuses me to know it was a possibility. :lol:
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:51 pm UTC

... well I'm not going to be able to keep up with Smalltown at this rate. I'm gonna do my best. Thank goodness I'm not actually playing.

Smalltown

Spoiler:
Conman looking good.

I missed Snark, he's so insightful and clever. Maybe scummy too, who knows! But fun to have in a agme

If I replace I hope I'm on the tenure committee because that would be awesome, I would feel so powerful.

Lawrence blocking oscar is a bit lame. Risky too. Love his spoiler though saying what everyoen thinks about what other roles should claim, though.

I don't believe Snark's druid thing; as a druid there'd be too much risk of town or scum killing you at night anyway to be done with you. Now I'm not sure how I'd begin to play as a druid, but claiming would be counter productive.

CrucialityFactor's post about druids is right on the money IMO.

Lawrencelot's case that DJ may be werewolf is compelling.

Cruciality's post about RR not being scum due to meta is bad. Probably town being 'logical' but still bad. When I was scum in the last smalltown we had a bunch of people with useless powers.

Up to the end of page 5 at the time of writing this (HBC|YOLOSWAG's post, which I admit I didn't read, so much text!!!!!!!)
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:35 am UTC

Smalltown:
Spoiler:
I am extremely concerned with the likelihood that I will be targeted by some of the more revealing abilities today. Am questioning whether to throw caution to the wind and cause mass chaos, or play it really close to my chest for now. Also considering a really crazy move that will take a couple of days to pay off and assumes I live long enough to work with it.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:26 am UTC

Smalltown
Spoiler:
what the fuck patzr? What the fuck. Lawrence is third party by quoting someone elses analysis but to justify your vote you claim lawrence is a werewolf pretending to be third party claiming mason?!? I just...no. Zomg what the fuck happened to logic?!
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:18 am UTC

Smalltown
Spoiler:
oh goody TWO MORE PAGES TO CATCH UP, at least I'm not actually playing or I would be in lots of trouble.

Watch me get replaced in as a scum and then these posts are not as helpful as they would otherwise be.

Agree that Lawrencelot is the scummiest so far.

Lawrencelot's pick up with Opus saying only useful thing is lynch avoidance is interesting. Hmmm.... HMMMMM

Agree Snark's druid thing was just Snark being clever, and if it had worked we would have all thought he was a hero.

Now I think about it, would scum!LAwrencelot really risk drawing attention by voting for the OG??? Great, now I'm in WIFOM territory.

Can I just say I love ConMan's role and the way he talks about it? Perry went shopping but couldn't find pants he liked. Priceless! Love it.

And Larry claims Mason. Ohhh exciting!!!

Snark VS SDK is awesome.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:23 pm UTC

Smalltown
Spoiler:
annnnd i remeber why i stopped playing. People be dumb, yo.

Snark

Postby Snark » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:58 pm UTC

Smalltown:
Spoiler:
I'm opposed to dead players replacing in. Not for this game specifically, but for any game. I've mentioned this when it's come up in the past, but when I'm playing, I often kill people not just to get their role out of the game, but to get that player out of the game. Either because I'm town and I'm driving a lynch against them because they're useless in addition to likely scum or because I'm scum and that player has it out for me, because of suspicions or whatnot.

Additionally, it does a disservice to the replaced role. For example, if a townie replaces scum, they have to deal with the scum-town suspicions they claimed they had when town. How do they just stop being publicly against their scummates if they were vocally suspicious before?

Obviously, if no non-involved players are available, and if the game would suffer more from modkills than from weird replacements, it should be done. It just annoys me a bit.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:11 am UTC

Snark wrote:Smalltown:
Spoiler:
I'm opposed to dead players replacing in. Not for this game specifically, but for any game. I've mentioned this when it's come up in the past, but when I'm playing, I often kill people not just to get their role out of the game, but to get that player out of the game. Either because I'm town and I'm driving a lynch against them because they're useless in addition to likely scum or because I'm scum and that player has it out for me, because of suspicions or whatnot.

Additionally, it does a disservice to the replaced role. For example, if a townie replaces scum, they have to deal with the scum-town suspicions they claimed they had when town. How do they just stop being publicly against their scummates if they were vocally suspicious before?

Obviously, if no non-involved players are available, and if the game would suffer more from modkills than from weird replacements, it should be done. It just annoys me a bit.

Smalltown (Snark may read):
Spoiler:
It's a lesser of many evils I'm afraid. In an ideal world, there'd be no need for replacement, and in a less ideal world, there would still be plenty of replacements. If it's any consolation, I suspect the sheer insanity of this game will mitigate somewhat against the problems posed by u-turns etc.
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:19 am UTC

Draculafia
Spoiler:
Jimbob is undead (I copped him). Since Misnomer was a minion, Jimbob may very well be a recruiter (especially since the game isn't over). Now the question is did anyone else get recruited overnight? I don't want to reveal my results until people talk. Once we get some conversation going, I'll get him lynched.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:23 am UTC

Draculafia
Spoiler:
It would be insane if we lose after this performance o_O

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:07 am UTC

Draculafia:
Spoiler:
I'm not sure whether to be thankful to Moody or not. I'm assuming he jailed me, as my action failed, and Vytron didn't kill me, though it might have failed because freezeblade was dying.

If I survive past the end of the day, I'll be amazed. My only real hope is that I can somehow push a wagon on Dimochka or better yet, Vytron or moody.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:45 am UTC

Draculafia:

Spoiler:
Yes, things do indeed seem bad for scum, with its sole Jimbobmacdoodle.

My only hope is that he survives till Monday... I'm busy at the moment and don't have the time to dedicate to a proper finale flavor flair.

As to why your action failed Jimbob-- that would be both. The first reason is that you were jailed. The second is that you recruited someone who was going to die anyways. The only difference not being jailed would have made is that Freezeblade would've shown up as scum.

I'm not sure I can say town played especially amazing this game... they got very, very lucky D1. They hit the ideal scenario.

But still they've played pretty well. Jimbob has managed to survive decently long for a newbie scumlord. Although with a cop on him, a vig out to get him, and a jailer trying to jail him, he really stands absolutely no chance.

Snark

Postby Snark » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:04 pm UTC

So, Secret Santa 2015? Do we have enough activity for it? Does anybody want to mod it? I kind of like that it's been someone different every year so far, so I'm not going to volunteer, but I would play.

Previous years:
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:27 pm UTC

Assuming that I'm dead in at least one of my current games by the time this one starts, I'd be interested in playing, but I don't feel experienced enough to mod yet. I don't have time to read the premise of those games though. Care to briefly explain it?
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Snark

Postby Snark » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:32 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Assuming that I'm dead in at least one of my current games by the time this one starts, I'd be interested in playing, but I don't feel experienced enough to mod yet. I don't have time to read the premise of those games though. Care to briefly explain it?
Each player sends in a role that is given to another player at random. Alignments are determined separately and randomly.

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:55 pm UTC

That is a hilarious idea. I'm gone for two weeks over Christmas, so probably shouldn't get involved either way. You guys should do it though. I want to read that.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:57 pm UTC

Draculafia:
Spoiler:
Well, at least the game didn't last until Christmas. :mrgreen:

Poor showing by the Cult overall. It's a shame jimbob killed me Night 1. It actually would have been to our mutual advantage if he'd waited a couple days. Get a couple more recruits under our belt before taking me out. Not that it's his fault. Hitman's gotta do what a hitman's gotta do.

Smalltown:
Spoiler:
Go Freezeblade, go! Invade those puny Earthlings!
Last edited by SDK on Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:55 pm UTC

Oh, if modding Secret Santa is something done once in a lifetime I'd rather not mod it this year. But it seems we already missed 2009 and 2014, so if nobody steps up for this year, I could mod it.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:04 pm UTC

Draculafia:
Spoiler:
I think I'm pretty much doomed. Town!dimochka would never lie about the result, so there's no point in trying to persuade people that Dim is town and lying (I miht be able to pull that one off with Vytron, but not Dim!). I doubt I'll be able to convince anybody that there's ANOTHER independent in the game either. My best hope is that I convince people that Dim was scum from the start, and that he has been able to recruit someone else N2, namely Vytron or Moody. Unfortunately, I think the logic of jailing me and lynching Dim may be enough for town to win, in pretty much any situation, apart from some really extreme ones.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Snark

Postby Snark » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:24 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:Oh, if modding Secret Santa is something done once in a lifetime I'd rather not mod it this year. But it seems we already missed 2009 and 2014, so if nobody steps up for this year, I could mod it.
It's not a hard and fast rule. Just something I'd noticed had been happening thus far. I'd rather have a mod who wanted to try to also mod it during future years than not have it hosted at all.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:23 pm UTC

Smalltown
Spoiler:
gods i hope im right. People tend to lynch me with one wrong call.

I also dont like patzr at all. Just. Stop talking. Please. You have stupid coming out of your mouth. Or fingers, i guess.

I have to be careful with CF. when he likes me as much as he does, usually that means he is scum and buddying up to me. Bad for him some of my meta is gone which should help protect me, and i remmeber this about his play.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:21 pm UTC

If you're going to talk about two games, can you put them in separate posts please? If someone is in one of the games but not the other, they can't use the Quote button to respond to the one they can read without seeing the other.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:24 pm UTC

Who is "you"? If it is me, im only in one game and am only talking about one game. If someone else since there is lots of space its not clear who you (RR) are talking about?

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:49 pm UTC

I'm guessing the SDK post, where he has two different spoilers for two different games, quoting these would be impossible, but yes. SDK should probably do this to insure no incorrect spoilers are read.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:02 am UTC

Snark wrote:
Vytron wrote:Oh, if modding Secret Santa is something done once in a lifetime I'd rather not mod it this year. But it seems we already missed 2009 and 2014, so if nobody steps up for this year, I could mod it.
It's not a hard and fast rule. Just something I'd noticed had been happening thus far. I'd rather have a mod who wanted to try to also mod it during future years than not have it hosted at all.

I'd be up for modding this. I should have time (I find it takes much less than playing).
If it gets too big (or if people want awesome flavour) I'll probably ask for a co-mod, though.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:45 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:Who is "you"? If it is me, im only in one game and am only talking about one game. If someone else since there is lots of space its not clear who you (RR) are talking about?

The "you" is the generic you. SDK and Van have done so in the past couple of pages, but I was addressing forumites in general.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:25 pm UTC

Smalltown
Spoiler:
oh gee thanks weiyaoli. Confirm me and yourself in one post. Now eevryone knows the masons. We were going yo not rollclaim at all for crying out loud. So much for that. Protip: play mason like you play cult. Dont tell people and sweep in last minute to save the world

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:12 pm UTC

Draculafia:

Spoiler:
A note on the role of Detective Cotford:

When compiling this game, I figured that the game would have more players than the novel "Dracula" had major characters. As it was, we only had an overflow of two. I decided to insert Count Orlok into the mix as a sort of funny twist (Count Orlok is sorta a copyright-dodging Count Dracula, which is why I thought he'd be interesting for the role of "Usurping" Dracula). Which means I only had one overflow.

Bram Stoker's relatives still possess many of the notes and drafting he undertook in writing the novel, and, luckily, much of that has been published.

From these notes, we have a list of characters that Bram Stoker was going to write into the book, but either cut out or morphed into other characters. These include:

-Max Windshoeffel - A German professor, who was ultimately transformed into Abraham Van Helsing.
-Alfred Singleton - A Psychical Research Agent ... perhaps also molded into Van Helsing
-Kate Reed - another friend of Lucy and Mina's, ultimately cut.
-Brutus M. Marix - a Texan inventor, ultimately transformed into Quincey Morris
-Francis Aytown - A painter. You know how Vampires aren't supposed to reflect in mirrors or things like that? Well this was supposed to extend to things like photographs and paintings too. Aytown was originally going to be someone who painted Dracula's portrait, only to find that it was impossible to render him on canvas.

and...

-Detective Cotford - who presumably was gonna do some investigating (I've read an article claiming the reason that Stoker cut Cotford--and any mention of the police in the novel whatsoever--is that he had some sour run-ins with the police during his day).

Bram Stoker's drafts are extremely interesting. Some notes on the characters can be found here: https://books.google.com/books?id=nyFZs ... el&f=false
(page 26)

Regarding the current mention of "Dracula, the Un-Dead" in the game: I have read the book. Its basic premise is that it's a "canonical" sequel to Dracula, written in part by Bram Stoker's relative Dacre Stoker, who I believe possesses the original notes. He and Ian Holt wrote the book together using the notes, and as such most of these characters can be found in some way or another in the sequel book, Cotford most prominently.

One of the Stoker family's motives for penning the sequel was a desire to reclaim the rights to Dracula (which had been in the public domain for quite some time, in the US particularly due to a copyright registration error, I think). Many critics have lambasted this book as not a "true" sequel, in part because a large premise of the book is set to claiming that the first book got everything wrong. I tend to agree with these critics. While I find the sequel an exciting read, it's not, strictly speaking, in line with the first.

All this to say that when I wrote Cotford into the game I was not basing him off his "Dracula, the Un-Dead" version; but rather just Stoker's original note. He's a standard cop.

Opus_723

Postby Opus_723 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:44 am UTC

Smalltown

Spoiler:
Well, it looks like I've played pretty poorly this game. I'm disappointed, but Sungura has made it very clear where I went wrong, so it's a learning experience at least. Bonus lesson: don't play games of deceit when you're grumpy, sick in bed, and bored.

To clarify for those spectating, I was genuinely annoyed at the fact that most of my fellow werewolves were voting Suzaku (and Vytron even outlined the whole scheme in the first place) since we had no discussion about that first, and I thought the plan seemed transparently anti-town. I guess I felt like I should jump aboard and commit to it since the more experienced players on my team seemed to be eager. I figured I was missing something obvious and joined in. But that was a hard shift from my initial position in the thread. Then Sungura came along and I was hypersensitive about the whole thing because I was still confused and a little frustrated.

None of that is my teammate's fault, though. I should have just stuck to my guns until I could get clarification about what was happening, but I scrambled prematurely from a lack of confidence, and it showed. That's just my lesson learned. I'm hoping that I can still be marginally useful by simply surviving as long as I can and spilling some wine.

Matrix6

Spoiler:
bessie wrote:If Opus is scum I'm going to cry.

Geez, bessie. I almost didn't have the heart to hammer that townie after that. :oops:

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:57 am UTC

Smalltown
Spoiler:
Oh well. Fun game, fun game. Looks like I won't be able to zombie-replace.

I guess it's a bad play to get vig-killed, but I guess it's better than being lynched, so I should be making progress.

I could never really fit with my scumbuddies, and the mechanics went over my head... Opus could have saved himself by diving? And my scumbuddies were telling him not not dive? What was that about? o_O

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:20 am UTC

Smalltown

Spoiler:
Oh boy. Time for me to start attacking patzer as she got dangerously close to lynch on D1 and some people already picked up on my defense. I'm sure her reasoning will be based on Sungura and I will be able to accept it in good faith while distancing myself from her.

Opus_723

Postby Opus_723 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:38 pm UTC

Smalltown
@Vytron

Spoiler:
This game was too much for me as a newbie. I was sort of just following my scumbuddies at first, and then my internet went south and I was forced into lurking for most of D1. I need to build a lot more confidence before I try something like that again.

Do you think I should have dived? It sounded like the other werewolves were worried that my dive would result in a no lynch, which they didn't want. Then SirGabriel broke the tie and that would have looked really suspicious for him. I'm curious why you think a dive would have been better? Diving was my plan before almost everyone told me not to.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:44 pm UTC

Smalltown
@Opus
Spoiler:
Why didn't we want a No Lynch? NL is strictly better than lynching when you're mafia! I definitively would have dived if I was you.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:57 pm UTC

Draculafia:
Spoiler:
I'm guessing that mpolo and bessie have been having a good discussion in their chat, as it seems that mpolo has dismissed the naive cop assumption after initially considering it. Annoyingly there's not much I can do any more, I think. I'm really hoping that I can persuade people to lynch dimochka over me, but I doubt it's going to happen. The best case scenario is that I can either a) convince them to let Vytron kill me at night, so that I can presumably get a recruit off (sorry to whoever I pick by the way if that happens!), or b) convince a couple of others of the naive cop theory. I'm more hopeful of a) than b), but I doubt it'll go anywhere.

Ah well, being scum in my first game without being able to take advice from other team-mates was never going to go amazingly well. The most annoying thing though is that it appears to be pure bad luck that attracted attention onto me D2, which led to the cop result and jailing N2. If it hadn't been for Vytron's counter-claim, I might have stood a chance of getting somewhere.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Return to “Mafia”