Meta Mafia II: Day 5

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

LaserGuy

Re: Meta Mafia II: Day 5

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:45 pm UTC

bessie wrote:LaserGuy – I so looked forward every night to reading your posts; your roleplaying was often the highlight of my day. In a way, I regret that you were mafia, because town you would have probably posted more. Your posts were a primary inspiration to me in writing the flavor (and the delightful bits about your son inspired the “children see magic everywhere” line in this post).

This made my day :D I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.

I'm not sure if I would have posted too much more if I had been Town. It's difficult to write in character over many posts. I expect I would have put more effort into staying in character later in the game, maybe.

I predict that my next game with you will be...interesting. I also predict that you and Sabrar will need to change your status back to “It’s complicated”. :P

Could be :P I fell for his clever plan, so we should be on good terms, right Sabrar? :)

(Btw, in the spoilers you were curious about my "tropical fruit" comment to Madge... that was 100% a throwaway roleplaying comment on my part and it had never occurred to me to use it as a claim).

freezeblade wrote:Great game scum! I'm still mystified on how the RNG fucked with me and put all the scum in one of the RNG groups in my meta-snark grouping.

Yeah, that was definitely a :shock: moment for me. Your follow-up analysis here was also quite astute.

wam wrote:Angry muttering.

Makes up for Stellaris :P

I had thought about looking at why boom was killed and just decided there was too much wine that way! Good game scum will get my revenge at some point.

That's kind of what we were going for :).

mpolo wrote:Thanks for the game. Congratulations mafia. I am happy that I at least ended up with correct reads, and that I don't have to do a pointless analysis on Day 6 to fulfill meta.

I pretty much gave up once wam and Madge were convinced of my scumminess, because at that point, any defense I could make would have been implicitly claiming (If I were scum, would I have said this? If I wasn't lying in this post, how could I be scum?). I was probably pushing it a little asking people to look at meta…

You played a very solid game and your reads were very sharp. It was very difficult to build any kind of a case on you. I was honestly expecting this one was probably going to go against us D5. I think if wam/Madge had been around and had more time to work things through, it probably would have.

@plytho: Who did you actually track? Looks like it may have been freezeblade? Obviously it wasn't me since I was busy killing freezeblade that night :P

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:55 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:I don't know if I'll ever be able to live down my scummy meta. I'm just not sure how to convince people to believe of my soft-claims. Scum latched onto it instantly, and it was ignored by town. Soft claim or full claim, I would have been killed that night anyway.

If you had full-claimed I would have totally backed off. You are in the moody category of "always looks scummy, lynch if no better leads." Really it's a compliment, that I can't tell your scum play from your town play.

wam wrote:I had thought about looking at why boom was killed and just decided there was too much wine that way! Good game scum will get my revenge at some point.

You don't have to figure out why they killed me, you just have to believe that my scumhunting is better then yours. :P
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:56 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:@plytho: Who did you actually track? Looks like it may have been freezeblade? Obviously it wasn't me since I was busy killing freezeblade that night
Yup, it was freezeblade. I pointed out I'd be tracking freezeblade here and kind of hinted that jimbob was his target here.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:01 pm UTC

That reminds me. @LaserGuy I was impressed by you finding the not-actually-a-breadcrumb of plytho "tracking" you.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

plytho

Postby plytho » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:02 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:That reminds me. @LaserGuy I was impressed by you finding the not-actually-a-breadcrumb of plytho "tracking" you.

Ha, yeah, me too!

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:17 pm UTC

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:36 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:One correction to point out from the spoilers: I have been lynched as scum. Once (not counting Trial of the Pariahs). But it was my first game way back in Draculafia. I was also vig-killed as confirmed-scum in Smalltown 2 (my second game), after tying myself in knots with a false result claim. But yeah, not since then. And yes, I have been mislynched on several occasions, though I forget which ones (I think somebody may have pointed this out).
Spoilers specified “mafia” because I wanted to make the distinction between mafia and indie. I didn’t count Draculafia because Djehutynakht never posted the role pms, so I was never sure of your actual alignment or win condition, and I had always interpreted your role as indie from what was revealed.

Here are the notes I made.
Spoiler:
scum jimbob games, not lynched + won
Secret Santa 2017 (mafia survived won)
The Dark Tower (mafia survived won)
Diablo (survivor, won)

town jimbob games, mislynched
Newbie New Year
Crossover
Inpromptu

Other games where jimbob was lynched
Trial of the Pariahs (town/mafia not sure how to count this one, lynched D7)
Draculafia (indie, lynched)

Other games where jimbob was not lynched
Alien Warfare (town NK)
Halloween (town NK)
Bin chicken (town survived)
Shakespeare III (town NK)
MMM II (town NK)
Secret Santa 2016 (town survived)
Pen Pals (town? not sure, survived)
Shakespeare II (town survived)
PYPokemon (town survived)
Dollhouse (town NK)
Alternating 9P (town NK)
Secret Santa 2015 (town survived)
Smalltown Werewolf PYP (mafia NK)
Conclusion: jimbob is dangerously brilliant as scum. :P

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I also want to apologise to the mods, and anybody else for my mini-rant in scum chat N4. I guess I was just getting frustrated for no good reason. And maybe over-sad about missing out on a hat-trick of perfect scum games...! My only two real gripes with the game were the incorrect wiki page leading to an unfair confirmed town, and the fruit vendor being able to give out specific fruits.
Your points have been much on my mind for the past couple weeks (reference scum chat QT/64), along with LaserGuy’s QT posts re setup/gameplay/modding. As to the setup conflict on the MS page, well that was unfortunate, but scum or anyone else could have noticed that the chart and descriptions did not even have the same roles and asked about it in-thread on D1 without giving away anything about their role. I am still pondering subject of the fruit vendor. It appears that on MS the fruit vendor does not specify their fruit, but there are also other things that differ between our sites, like the flips not being revealed until the morning, so as I am reflecting over the game and the balance and everything else, I am contemplating the game as a whole, not just this specific role. Me being me, I will probably be (over)thinking this for a while.

plytho

Postby plytho » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:27 pm UTC

bessie wrote:As to the setup conflict on the MS page, well that was unfortunate, but scum or anyone else could have noticed that the chart and descriptions did not even have the same roles and asked about it in-thread on D1 without giving away anything about their role.
Not all of the descriptions were different from the matrix, in fact the only one that differs is setup (10). I noticed pretty quickly but I didn't mention it because I thought it would tell scum I was a power role. If we weren't actually in 10 it would tell them my exact role. I'm not sure why I didn't ask the mods about this, I guess I just assumed the matrix was true.

You are right though that anyone could have picked up on that and scum could have used this as a fake town-slip. So I feel it was fair game (though I'm obviously biased as I found the slip).

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:15 pm UTC

Fruit vendor was stronger than it should have been although wams exploitation of that strength was far beyond what I think anyone imagined.

The confirmation of Madge has had something similar to that happen in every single game in recent memory. Some townie misunderstands the rules, usually about mafia chat, and that is used as evidence of thier townieness. And scum faked it once too and town lost that game. So it doesn't seem unfair that it happened this way.

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:15 pm UTC

You played a good game, scum. Well done!

It was fun joining you guys again. I'm currently in northern BC on my way to the arctic, but I'll catch up with y'all again in a few months. Maybe for Sscret Santa since bessie asked so nice. ;)
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:51 pm UTC

Yeah, when want asked me about whether he could name the fruit, I checked the website and it didn't say anything. So I thought, sure, why not. In retrospect, I should have thought about it more, because want made way better use of it then I thought he would.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:10 pm UTC

I liked the fruit name stuff. It's probably not fair but I love about forum mafia that it's not a firm computer program but that you can get creative in the margins and break the game. If it broke the game in the end then I'd feel differently about it, but it would have still been an amazing triumph of wams cleverness to have unbalanced the game like that.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:52 am UTC

I think it wasentioned that this setup was probably pretty hard for town in general so a powered up fruit vendor was probably ok for balance. Just have to make sure people don't try to break the no cryptography rule with huge lists of fruit in thread for possible messages :P

Return to “Mafia”