Secret Santa 2017 Endgame - Merry Christmas

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

bessie

Re: Secret Santa Day 3 - The Last Stand

Postby bessie » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:48 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:
bessie wrote:And Sabrar, instead of blurting it out immediately, why don’t you make Madge read the thread and try to figure out who my intended night target is herself?
Are you preemptively accusing me of something?
Why yes I am! It is my evaluation that your super computer brain figured out my target within about a second of reading my claim, and that you would possibly say something about it. I wanted you to wait a bit because I was interested in seeing Madge’s reaction first, and she has reacted, and her reaction is interesting.

Madge wrote:I'm kind of grumpy at Bessie demanding I read the thread and work out who she's targeting.
So Madge, if you’re not reading the thread, how are you keeping up with the game?

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:52 am UTC

I'm keeping up with the game in my scum chat of course :roll:

I'm reading the thread (duh) but I am not hyper aware of what you're thinking at all times, that's not who I am and I don't think that's who I'll ever be. I don't keep spreadsheets.

If it was important to me to know who you were watching - like if i was scum for example - then I'd go back over it and look it up and then do my top secret scum business accordingly.

But as town I really don't care what you do, I'll be happy to see any results you have tomorrow and work out the implications but that's about it.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:13 am UTC

I've been just convinced that jimbob is the second scum. That will probably last unil I find a reason to think otherwise.

On a TOTALLY unrelated note: tomorrow will also be LYLO. Don't vote too early no matter what night result you got. I will snap-vote anyone who places a vote without discussing it with us first.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:16 am UTC

Can we expect a case on jimbob? I'm excited!
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:21 am UTC

Case on jimbob relies entirely in my ego trusting my meta-reads on the ladies and moody clearing jimbob way too hard. Nothing else.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:08 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:Case on jimbob relies entirely in my ego trusting my meta-reads on the ladies and moody clearing jimbob way too hard. Nothing else.
I feel like your ego rarely does you any good, Sabrar! But, whatever. I didn't get any real time yesterday to look at things, but I'm hopeful that I'll have time to finish rereading D1 at least later today. Unless anybody has any objections, I'll vote after that, as I don't know if I'll get any chance Thursday. Currently likely to vote moody, as my general read of Sabrar is townie, whereas I'm less confident about moody.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:11 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I feel like your ego rarely does you any good, Sabrar!
Oh I agree completely. But hey, what can you do? :lol:

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:29 am UTC

I only had time to work on my read of Madge, I’ll have moody and Sabrar tomorrow.

Madge

I found Madge suspicious on D1 for the rebooting her meta claim, and the feeling that her posting was just to do what she needed to do to appear townie, like making a town-scum list. Her vote for wam on D1 was for self defense, and continuing on D2, she still never made strong opinions on anything. D3 her content picks up, but Madge usually shows more interest later in the game after there are some results to analyze. I’m still disturbed about her use of her power, which I also discussed in my jimbob read, but admit that I can see town!Madge using that power. I don’t like that she has me as most scummy for nothing but a gut feeling, it would actually make me feel better about her if she could point out some reasons she thinks I’m scummy. Still hasn’t commented that I pointed out her claim to have never seen me play scum is incorrect, and that she has been my scum partner twice. Madge also doesn’t seem to be following the game closely, and I’m still undecided as to what to make of it. Absentmindedness or scum tell? Still leaning scum based on her content, at least for now. I will update after I read moody and Sabrar.

Will comment on p20 content tomorrow, it’s 1:30 am here.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:38 am UTC

Why would you prioritize Madge when lynch is between moody and me?

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:12 pm UTC

Votals

moody (1) - Sabrar
Sabrar (1) - moody

It is LLYLO. Deadline 22 hours

Reminder to submit night actions before end of day.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:36 pm UTC

Sooooo...
I guess scum is waiting for the townies to vote first, hoping s/he doesn't have to bus and can win today?

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:50 pm UTC

Only just got home from my day out. Am going to stay up and work on that analysis, then vote. Guess we'll see what happens from there.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:42 am UTC

Analysis of interactions as promised. Spoilers contain a complete list of interactions between bessie/Madge and Sabrar/moody (but not between bessie + Madge, or between Sabrar + moody).

D1:
Spoiler:
Sabrar jokes that wam-bessie team is a no go.
Sabrar meta-reads bessie as town, claiming it is special.
bessie jokes about (later notes) Sabrar's enthusiasm to get the game started. Sabrar responds "one game to many".
bessie can't decide if Sabrar has a weird posting restriction/wound up/puppy.
Madge likes Sabrar's enthusiasm.
Sabrar asks bessie if she keeps notes on herself, and wishes Madge get well soon.
Madge responds to Sabrar's well-wishing, giving it as an excuse for "brain-farts".
In moody's very early ordered list, he puts bessie as top town, then a gap, Madge at third (I was between).
Sabrar asks moody why bessie is so high on his list, stating he doubts they share the same reason (later claimed to be "super-secret meta read", which he might be wrong about).
moody states that there should have been a gap between Madge and Liri on his list (i.e. Liri downwards less townie than Madge, who is less townie than bessie). States that he hopes bessie will look different when she eventually is scum.
moody says he judged everybody apart from bessie and Sabrar (so including Madge) based on attitude to the game.
Madge doesn't understand why people are suspicious of Sabrar.
Sabrar thinks Madge's scum-plan was poor.
Madge responds, saying she finds Sabrar a better player. Doesn't want to ask him why it's a bad idea to avoid the appearance of scum!Madge asking for help.
Sabrar explains anyway (tells become void once public).
bessie responds to Sabrar's reasons for his weirdness, pointing out she'd already observed two of them, two of them as joke responses (puppies), and agrees its fun. Also asks for clarification re. her notes question from Sabrar. Rolls eyes at moody for labelling her as town. Sarcastically responds to Sabrar auto-using meta to read her as town.
Sabrar clarifies the question to bessie, re. notes and that his read of bessie is actual, not auto.
moody happy to lynch bessie if a cop finds her scum. Madge looks very winey, making her look worse.
Sabrar's meta read on bessie was that she didn't post in Gojoe.
Moody disagrees with this. Any post from her could be either town or scum comment.
bessie explains her notes as requested by Sabrar. Unsure whether to argue with Sabrar about his meta-read, and decides it's not worth it.
Sabrar argues that Madge is town, and that bessie is consistently wrong about her evaluation of her.
bessie knows that it's pointless arguing with Sabrar over meta reads.
bessie mentions that moody, Madge or wam might be able to come up with games with non-optional posting restrictions, and explains Sabrar's "puppies" comment.
Sabrar welcomes discussion with bessie over meta reads. Thinks she is overanalyzing plytho.
In response to me, Sabrar refuses to backup his meta-read of bessie.
Madge thinks moody may be better off not using his ability, but suggests giving best shot and then claiming D2, with his death being something that might happen. Thinks Sabrar would be confident. Makes ordered list with Sabrar top town (but acknowledged as super-biased due to him finding her townie), and moody 4th scummiest.
Madge says she would vote moody if she had to, due to his power causing a headache.
Sabrar puts bessie and Madge in core town.
In response to Madge, moody acknowledges that his ability could cause headaches. Puts bessie in non-votables, Madge in votables.
Moody is much more likely to vote wam or Madge than Liri.
Madge further explains her moody preference, as passing the "if he's town, we haven't lost much". Likes that moody decided to "push the button", as it makes her feel better about her meta. Appreciates him claiming.
moody puts Madge as townie for her reactions to his claim (due to sussing out his main reason for claiming early).
bessie brings up the fact that she said she'd come back to her meta-discussion with Sabrar. Responds to Sabrar's comment about her overanalyzing plytho, by saying his style differs. Notes Sabrar's content is somewhat different. Comments on Madge's recent post about moody's claim, and finding it odd about Sabrar being a in a list of players who are otherwise not in the game. Notes moody being in the middle of Madge's list. Wants to make a sarcastic comment about Sabrar's spoon-feed comment. Notes a couple of things about Sabrar. Doesn't feel the need to keep pushing moody for info on his power. Has Sabrar towniest, moody third scummiest.
Sabrar responds back to bessie's brief observations.
moody labels bessie's non-push for information as townie.
Sabrar thinks Suzaku will vote Madge.
Sabrar states that wam's impression of Sabrar reading Madge as scum was only an impression.
Sabrar asks wam who is Madge's scum-buddy.
Sabrar states, in response to me, that Madge is not a criminal mastermind.
bessie chimes in on moody's power, but doesn't want him to reveal too many details, because then the power becomes useless. Thinks he shouldn't have claimed, and found it suspicious. Thinks it's up to him to decide whether to use it, but doesn't understand why he claimed, as he could have claimed on D2. Asks Sabrar if he's implying plytho is developing a meta, despite his statement otherwise, and accuses him of being stubborn. Suggests Sabrar is more interested in not lynching Madge than lynching scum. Thinks he's underestimating Madge.
Sabrar responds to bessie and claims that lynching Madge will be a win-win for him. Promises a more detailed read of her.
Sabrar states that Madge flipping town allows him to say "I told you so".
Sabrar explains his actions around Madge in Crossover, in response to bessie. Explains his meta-read on Madge (stream-of-consciousness is non-alignment indicative, ditto not voting, and believes her original theorised plans).
Moody thanks bessie for her sympathy, and might have followed her plan except for bad experiences.
Sabrar defends his read on Madge towards wam.
Sabrar provides ordered list (bessie towniest, Madge third towniest).
Sabrar continues to defend his Madge read.
Moody read Madge's posts in isolation. Observes issues with changing meta, finds she is sliding back to habits, her opinion on voting him is odd, and views her lynching on nasty power as bad. Looks very lynchable.
Madge thinks moody should use his power. Observes how he could use it tomorrow. Explains why she'd vote moody ahead of her scummier reads. Believes Sabrar has been odd, and is just having fun. Doesn't believe scum!Sabrar would behave the same way.
Bessie is exasperated at Sabrar. Argues with him about his Madge meta-read, especially since she's trying to changes it. Promises more content for Sabrar D2.
Madge ponders what might have happened if scum submitted moody's role.
In response to me, Madge claims that he's not using the same meta points as in Crossover. Madge is being Madge. Thinks it would take much more effort for scum!Madge to produce stream-of-consciousness thoughts.
Sabrar claims he'd defend any of his core town reads.
Sabrar wants to know why people who view Madge's surprise as genuine, but not the rest of her content, do so.
The first thing to note is that Sabrar was acting very weird D1. However, I'm pretty convinced that he was serious in his Madge read, which took up much of his time. That's some pretty hard-core defending to do as a scum-buddy, but is not outside the realms of possibility.

I think Madge's observations of Sabrar are noteworthy - she said that she didn't see him being scum because of being odd. This could indicate that Madge knows why Sabrar is being odd (because he explained it in their scum chat). Meanwhile, Madge's non-vote on moody could be a clumsy attempt at distancing.

Looking at things from moody's point of view, he's barely interacted with either Madge or bessie. Similarly, bessie barely says anything towards moody. This is possibly an indication of a scum pairing.

From D1, I could easily see a Sabrar/Madge team due to the hard-core defending of Madge by Sabrar, or moody in a team with either bessie or Madge, due to the relatively few interactions. I could see Sabrar faking interactions as scum, quite easily though.

Aside, I know this was already pointed out, but I still find this amusing:
Sabrar wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:By the way, if anybody has a day vig, they definitely should use it on Sabrar now.

I AM THE DAY-VIG

D2:
Spoiler:
Sabrar thinks Madge is town, but would be better if wrong.
bessie finds moody's explanation reasonable, and observes how his claim indicates I was the NK target. Found his timing of revealing direction too early.
Sabrar asks bessie and Madge for their opinions on somitomi.
Madge responds. Disappointed by moody's revelation.
Sabrar switches votes to Madge.
Madge is excited by the sudden change in heart by Sabrar.
Sabrar claims he doesn't have a plan.
Sabrar wonders who might be considered his scum buddy, jokingly suggesting Madge.
Sabrar claims he doesn't bus, then joke claims to be buddies with bessie.
Moody puts bessie as not votable, Madge as votable.
Moody places Madge as scummiest by quite some margin, bessie as second towniest, behind only me.
Madge reacts surprised to moody labelling me as a 10.
bessie promises Sabrar that she'll provide an updated read of somitomi soon, but previously was slightly town. Jokes about Sabrar's jokes. Asks Sabrar what his role is.
Sabrar thinks Madge not understanding why I am town is a town-slip.
Madge figures out why I am a 10 on moody's scale. Wants to know what's up with Sabrar. Didn't think he'd act like this as a jester.
Moody claims he'd have gotten round to explaining once awake.
Sabrar would be sad if bessie is sheeping him for nefarious purposes.
bessie points out that she had pointed out full role-pms being made public already, in response to moody. Asks Sabrar if Madge not understanding content is a town slip. And didn't think Madge needed the NK clearance explaining. Can't see any way Sabrar is scum, and explains in detail why (meta).
Sabrar responds to bessie's meta-read of him.
Sabrar wants to know why bessie was answering a question by him to moody.
Bessie goes into a big explanation of her feelings on meta-reads in response to Sabrar.
Bessie asks about Sabrar's day kill, and has a conversation with him about the implications of moody's redirect.
Sabrar asks for bessie's opinion on somitomi pre-flip.
Bessie provides a reads list. Found moody suspicious for his claim and pushing for people to discuss it. Sabrar is not super strong town, but no scummy pings.
Post-somitomi kill, moody votes Madge.
bessie thinks Sabrar's kill makes him more likely town.
Sabrar has bessie second twoniest, with me as core town, Madge is most likely town, but not fully convinced.
Moody thinks Madge-Liri or Madge-Suzaku teams make sense.
Moody has his firmest scum read on Madge. Would be indep, if not scum.
Bessie observes that Sabrar's claim is consistent with his behaviour. She had issues with most players, hence Sabrar being so high on her list.
Madge found Sabrar's day-vig exciting, and notes that it explains his behaviour. Doesn't see a me/moody team. Sabrar is one of three scum candidates. Doesn't think his kill has any bearing on his alignment.<Stopped half way down page 13>
It's now 1.30am here, I really need to go to bed, and I don't know if I'll get any chance to vote tomorrow, let alone continue this, so I'm going to summarise what I've got from my reading of the above D2 content: I'm pretty confident that bessie/Sabrar is not a team - bessie's discussion with Sabrar after he announced the day kill could have theoretically been staged, but I didn't feel like it was on this, or on a previous read-through. I'm also starting to lean away from a Madge/moody team, due to moody's view of Madge all day, and Madge's view of moody, particularly D1. Moody had Madge down as his top scum candidate by quite a margin when he made his numbers list. That leaves me with Sabrar/Madge or bessie/moody as the two viable teams. Looking back at the NK evidence from N2 makes bessie/moody look more likely than Sabrar/Madge, since as previously noted, it takes a special scum power for them to be able to safely risk targeting Liri, when they had viable alternatives.

Away from this analysis, I've been consistently reading Sabrar as townie for quite some time now, whereas I've not found moody's D3 content helpful at all.

Vote moody

*crosses fingers*

It looks like bessie knows who she should be targeting, and I see no relevant interaction with Madge here. Madge should target either a) who she thinks is scummiest/most likely to perform the kill, if she thinks the eventual lynchee is town, or b) whoever she feels is appropriate if she thinks they are scum (because she might get a doctor, or a roleblocker, or a redirector or...). Moody should keep his decision to himself (assuming he survives the lynch). Sabrar and I have no actions as far as I know.

Time for bed. Let's see what happens overnight... :?
BlitzGirl the Primordial

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:54 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:Why would you prioritize Madge when lynch is between moody and me?
I thought it would be better to look at Madge first, and then I would have a complete picture when I looked at the two of you.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote: Looking at things from moody's point of view, he's barely interacted with either Madge or bessie. Similarly, bessie barely says anything towards moody. This is possibly an indication of a scum pairing.
Hmm, you have previously pointed out that I didn’t have much interaction with you, somitomi, and Suzaku either. So why my is my supposed lack of interaction with moody now an indication of a possible scum pairing?

moody
I was suspicious of moody on D1 for revealing his power, I’ve already discussed my dislike for this particular gambit, because it buys some town cred and lynch protection for the claimant. I also didn’t like the timing of his power mechanics reveal, also previously discussed. D2 I was feeling better about moody, mostly based on my jimbob+moody analysis, and moved him up on my town list. On to D3. On D2 moody was quite willing to accept Sabrar as town (see references to Lemma0) and this changed quickly on D3 when flicky flipped town, without any accompanying explanation. His pick for the scum team is Sabrar + (me or Madge), reasonable because from his point of view jimbob is confirmed town. But he hasn’t done much analysis on either of us, he just puts out there that I’m townie and Madge is, well, Madge, but that is normal for her, so it makes her more townie, and therefore me more scummy. Whatever. Now late D3 moody’s content has dropped off, he’s responding a bit but not driving content, and he hasn’t come back after my claim, I wonder if he has accepted his lynch to protect a mafia partner.

Sabrar
Sabrar’s D1 goofy content has been much discussed, and the original basis of my strong town read. Even now knowing that Sabrar’s actions were an attempt to draw votes to activate a power, I still can’t see him trying that as mafia. There are other ways to draw votes, a partner could have helped him out by voting for him without too much risk, since the votes reset after Sabrar’s vig kill. There are still things that bother me about Sabrar’s content in this game, one is his continuing over defense of Madge, but I think that I’m just going to have to accept that Sabrar won’t ever bend on his meta read of Madge and won’t lynch her, and I need to think about whether or not he is just misguided. Another thing that is troubling me is just how wrong Sabrar’s reads have been this game. He has led the lynch on two townies and vig killed a third, and he had been very confident in all those reads. Now he is confident in his read on moody, perhaps he is taking a gamble as scum in leading a lynch on moody because it worked for him the past two days. Also puzzling me is his requests for content from me and jimbob, it took me a couple of days to produce the in-depth read of jimbob that he requested, and jimbob has put a lot into answering his questions today too. But he makes no requests of Madge and does not even seem to be bothered by her lack of interest in active scumhunting or in even following the game closely. I am pondering whether the questioning of me and jimbob is to keep us from looking more closely at Madge.

My scummiest read right now is Madge, but I’m not seeing a mafia partner for her. jimbob is my towniest read, so I don’t think it is him. I still think it’s possible that jimbob and moody are the same alignment , but points have been brought up regarding my analysis, so even though I believe I have adequately responded to those points, I am considering that I could be mistaken, and we still are not sure of all the powers and how they were used in the game. Even considering Sabrar’s loyalty to Madge, I think that a Sabrar/Madge mafia team is unlikely based on Sabrar’s D1 content. I can see Madge supporting his vote-drawing gambit (perhaps enthusiastically!), but Madge would have been there, working to get him those votes, and she didn’t help him out. I don’t necessarily see a Madge/moody connection, he was voting her early D2, but that was before any consensus started to form. Given my two choices today, I think it less likely Sabrar is on a mafia team, so moody is my choice as more likely to be scum.

Vote: moody7277

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:01 am UTC

I honestly have no idea whether I'd rather vote for moody or Sabrar. I don't think moody-bessie is a team.

Teams: (because LLYLO, only including moody teams and sabrar teams)

Moody-Sabrar - unlikely but crossing the votes would be genius - will examine tomorrow as if this is the team the person we vote to kill will be scum eihter way

Moody-jimbob - gambit
Moody-bessie - least likely as i think bessie is conservative and wouldn't go for moody's gambit

Sabrar-jimbob - requires town!moody to be lying, not allowed
Sabrar-bessie - scary

So I see three likely teams, one of which i'm ignoring, and one gambit team, and one "requires townie to lie" team

so team liklihood:

sabrar-bessie
moody-jimbob
moody-sabrar
moody-bessie
sabrar-jimbob

moody's in 3 of the teams...

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:03 am UTC

That was hammer. Processing night results.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:08 am UTC

It had been such a simple request. Two months ago, or near enough as made no difference, Patrick's son had taken ill. It was the nasty Northern fever, the kind that made you shake till your bones rattled, and your skin turned white as virgin snow. He had asked the shift supervisor for some time to look after him. So Patrick had decided to take it up with The Boss. He had never spoken with The Boss before, but he was supposed to be kind and good-natured.

The Boss had refused him. October was a bad month, he'd said. Production was just ramping up for Christmas. Besides, if he gave Patrick time off to care for his sick son, other elves would want it too, and where would that end? Nothing would ever get done. Patrick had been flabbergasted. But what could he do? The Boss had said no, and he couldn't just leave work. They'd lose everything.

A week later, his son was dead. Patrick moved about in a daze of grief and anger. Anger at the supervisors, the system, The Boss. It wasn't supposed to be this way. There needed to be accountability. Justice.

He had gathered every elf who would listen, every elf with a story or complaint, and they went to The Boss to air their grievances.

He had laughed at them.

And that had been that. The Unionists abandoned their posts, abandoned the workshops and refused to work until their demands were met.

And now... Patrick sighed. The violence had taken its toll on both sides, but every day the Loyalists seemed to be gaining ground. The Loyalist infiltrators had been frustratingly effective. Every day a few members of the Unionists would slip away back to the shops. He needed something, a victory somewhere to turn the tide.

He looked back to the assembled elves. They claimed that they had found the saboteur, caught red-handed, sneaking around, they said. Patrick was not so sure. The Loyalists were clever, organized, efficient. This seemed… too easy. He considered for a moment, then gave a slight nod of his head to the elf standing next to him. Wordlessly, his companion approached the prisoner and unceremoniously impaled him.

Patrick looked away. The violence of it all disturbed him, but it was the only way to justice. Hopefully the Loyalist campaign would come to a close soon. They had been pressed to the limit, but he felt that they were finally turning the corner.

Patrick left the assembly in frustration. As he ascended the steps to his hideout, the door suddenly blew out in a thunderous explosion.

He was flat on his back, not sure how he got there. His ears rang, there was a metallic taste in his mouth, and his left eye seemed to be shadowed in thick fog. He slowly pulled himself to his feet. The house in front of him was gone, completely ruined by the explosion. Emergency crews were already rushing to the scene. He saw a body being dragged from the rubble.

Patrick tried to rise, head ringing, but was blown onto his back by another explosion, then another. Distantly, he heard the sound of bells, and then, of singing.

O say can you see, by the great northern lights,
      What so proudly we built just in time for next Christmas
      All those dolls, trains and games for the world's good children
      Wrapped in white red and green, many boxes need filling.
      And the sleigh's red glare, Santa flying in air
      Gave gifts through the night and joy everywhere
      O say to those children Merry Christmas
      may your hearts fill with cheer; have a Happy New Year.

The Loyalists were coming. All was lost.

moody has been lynched. He was Elf Coordinator, aligned with Town.
Madge has been killed by an exploding present. She was Elf Toy Tester, aligned with Town.

He sat at a cherrywood desk, a huge man in red suspenders poring over an enormous spreadsheet on his computer. He chewed his pipe as he muttered to himself in vexation, and grotesquely oversized fingers drifted to a bowl of sweets sitting next to the computer. It was nearly Christmas, and Santa was finalizing his lists in preparation for his busiest day of the year.

There was a soft knocking at the door of his study. Santa glanced up, grumbled in frustration, then called for the supplicants to enter. Two elves approached him, slowly. Their faces and hands were black with soot, their eyes seemed hollow and distant.

“What is it?” Santa boomed.

“The Unionist rebellion, sir, it is over,” replied the scout master.

Santa frowned, “Rebellion? What rebellion?”

The elves exchanged glances, “Sir, many our workers have been absent for weeks. There has been fighting. Hundreds are dead. But we have prevailed, sir.”

Santa shook his head. Elves and their problems. But one thing they said concerned him, “Absent for weeks? But it’s nearly Christmastime! How far behind schedule are we?”
      “I’m not sure, sir. The elf in charge of scheduling is dead,” replied the grave digger.

“Ingrate,” muttered Santa. “We need to fix this. We need to get back on schedule. We can forgo quality control to save time.”

“The elf in change of quality control is also dead, sir,” said the grave digger.

Santa glared at him, “I need every elf working the factories between now and Christmas. Men, women, children, I don’t care. Work them day and night.”

“Sir, the elves have just been fighting a war. Our people are exhausted and depressed.”

“I don’t care!” roared Santa. “Your elfish squabbles do not concern me. It is nearly Christmas, and we are behind! Gather everyone, and get them to work.”

The two elves bobbed their heads and left. Santa returned to his work, gnawing on his pipe, wondering why on Earth the elves had decided to cause trouble now, of all times. Well, time enough to sort that out later. Perhaps next year it would be better just to order everything through Amazon.

Sabrar has been endgamed, he was Elf HR Manager, aligned with Town.
bessie was Elf Scout Master, aligned with Mafia.
jimbobmacdoodle was Elf Grave Digger, aligned with Mafia.

Congratulations to bessie and jimbobmacdoodle for a perfect mafia victory!

LaserGuy

Re: Secret Santa Endgame - Merry Christmas

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:12 am UTC

Madge role PM:
Spoiler:
Elf Toy Tester (Town)

You've come across a new toy, and have no idea what it does. Too bad you lost the instructions, but you'll do your best to figure it out! It's so shiny, and look at all of those buttons! Who cares about a war when you've got a new gadget?

Abilities:
The mysterious toy has the following set of buttons on it:
[ :!: :?: ]
[ :!: :idea: ]
[ :!: :arrow:]
[ :?: :!: ]
[ :?: :idea: ]
[ :?: :arrow: ]
[ :idea: :!: ]
[ :idea: :arrow:]
[ :idea: :?: ]

Each night, choose a player, including yourself, and press a button. You want to test every combination, so you can't use the same effect twice. This is a compulsive action: You must use your night action every night. If you fail to do so, a target and action will be selected at random for you, and you will receive a mod penalty vote for the remainder of the game.

Example usage:
Target: LaserGuy, push [ :?: :?: ]

You are a member of the unionists (Town) and win the game when all threats to the union have been eliminated.

HIDDEN ASPECTS:
These are what the abilities do:
[ :!: :?: ]: The target will appear to have visited every other player during the night.
[ :!: :idea: ]: Cop result
[ :!: :arrow:]: You enter an unconfirmed neighborhood with the target
[ :?: :!: ]: Receive the name of the player in slot (Target - current night)
[ :?: :idea: ]: Target receives the Keebler instruction manual showing all possible Keebler effects
[ :?: :arrow: ]: Toy is deactivated and you are now vanilla.
[ :idea: :!: ]: Doctor
[ :idea: :arrow:]: Watcher result
[ :idea: :?: ]: Rolecop result

Moody role PM:
Spoiler:
Elf coordinator.
It’s your job to work the calendars, the emails, the packages, and seemingly everything else in this little office. Your long hours coordinating insane work hours, and the frantic elves has improved your control over the workplace. And if you want, you can really mess things up.
Schedule cycle: When activated at this night, this ability will redirect the targets of every player in the game to the next surviving slot in the list order for the night. Players will not be informed that their actions have been altered. Upon using this ability, you are also one-shot bulletproof until the following night.

Example:

Suppose the player order is:
LaserGuy
Peaceful Whale
SDK
YOU
Gopher of Pern
On N1, LaserGuy targets SDK with a kill, Peaceful Whale cops LaserGuy, SDK roleblocks Gopher of Pern. After using your power, LaserGuy’s kill is redirected to YOU (one slot below SDK), Peaceful Whale’s cop is redirected to Peaceful Whale (one slot below LaserGuy) and SDK’s roleblock is redirected to LaserGuy. Result: LaserGuy is roleblocked, Peaceful Whale receives an innocent result.

Hidden Aspect: Due to a clerical error in your spreadsheet, the mailroom has got the wrong message and is sending presents to the wrong people. Unlike other powers, the mafia nightkill will be directed on player up the list order instead of one player down the list. Other kills will behave normally.

Sabrar role PM:
Spoiler:
Elf HR Manager (Town).

You’ve been the head of HR for 13 years now, and nothing like this has ever happened before, but being in HR has granted you years of experience dealing with disgruntled employees, which there have always been quite a lot of. All those elves have to go somewhere, and not necessarily alive either. It’s gruesome, but it was your job, and now you’re worried you were on the wrong side this whole time. But you can make amends with the power you have. You can fire whoever you like, but the day after you’ve got to deal with the... remains... of their office of course!

Abilities:
You have even-day public daykill. During the day phase on D2, D4, etc., you may publicly announce, in thread, Kill: <PLAYER> and that player will die unless they are specifically immune to this action. If you use this ability, please also PM the mods indicating its usage to ensure it is processed quickly. This ability must be used 48 hours before the end of the day phase, and the votecount will reset after the death.

This ability may only be used on players who are voting for you at the time you enter the Kill command.

You are a member of the unionists (Town) and win the game when all threats to the union have been eliminated.

Bessie role PM:
Spoiler:
You are Elf Scout Master (Mafia).

You’ve been an elf scout for the last 23 years, and you’ve acquired a broad range of skills, from poisoning egg-nog with bad eggs, all the way to skilled reconnaissance. You have a different ability that you may use each night, which you may use in conjunction with your mafia night kill. Please send us (Peaceful Whale & LaserGuy) the PM with your target each night.

Abilities:
-N1 ability: Poisoned egg-nog. There isn’t much plant life out in this freezing desert, but you still know how to make a lethal toxin, and then hide it in a sweet treat. Target a player, s/he will die N3 if still alive, even if you died before that. This ability is considered a partial strongman: Your target cannot be protected, but you can be roleblocked.
-N2 ability: Skilled reconnaissance. Not many people know it, but you used to be a Security Worker, and you’ve still got the codes. Target a player, learn what type of ability they used N1. May target dead players.
-N3 ability: Review security footage. You know how to find tracks, even those 4 days old. Target a player, learn who s/he was targeted by N2. May target dead players.
Sadly after night three, you’ve got nothing, you’ve pulled all the tricks out of the bag, and then you used the bag itself.

You’re tired of these so called “unionists”, and you’ve put your foot down. It’s time that you and jimbobmacdoodle did something about this mess. You’re going to stop this rebellion even if you’ve got to kill every single elf in this department. You and jimbobmacdoodle have secret phones, hidden to look like candy canes, use your chat wisely to coordinate. But don’t forget, you’ve got a stash of exploding presents, ready to go boom. (PM Peaceful Whale or LaserGuy in this format. [Name of killer] night kills [name of nightkill])

You have private daychat with jimbobmacdoodle. You may use the following quicktopic to discuss the game: https://www.quicktopic.com/52/H/L43abptGEmEAR

You are a member of Loyalists (Scum) and win when all threats to your side are eliminated or this outcome is inevitable.

jimbobmacdoodle role PM:
Spoiler:
You are Elf Grave Digger (Mafia)

Yeah, you’ve got the low of the low jobs, but it’s ok, you’ve learned to deal with it. Someone needs to bury the elf bodies so humans don’t go messing in the genetic code and find out that not all “midgets” are actually human. Something that these “unionist” need to learn to do. You and bessie are going to show these people a thing or two.
You’ve kept your shovel sharp, and know how to dig up a body, which is what you’ll do, stealing whatever they had on them at the time.

Abilities:
Any night on which you successfully perform the mafia night kill, you will inherit the abilities of your target for use the following day/night. Killing abilities as well as a few other powerful abilities are excluded.

You’re tired of these so called “unionists”, and you’ve put your foot down. It’s time that you and bessie did something about this mess. You’re going to stop this rebellion even if you’ve got to kill every single elf in this department. You and bessie have secret phones, hidden to look like candy canes, use your chat wisely to coordinate. But don’t forget, you’ve got a stash of exploding presents, ready to go boom. (PM Peaceful Whale or LaserGuy in this format. [Name of killer] night kills [name of nightkill])

You have private daychat with jimbobmacdoodle. You may use the following quicktopic to discuss the game: https://www.quicktopic.com/52/H/L43abptGEmEAR

You are a member of Loyalists (Scum) and win when all threats to your side are eliminated or this outcome is inevitable.

Night Actions:
N1:
Spoiler:
-Moody activates schedule cycle, gains bulletproof for D2
-Liri uses redirect on Sabrar onto Madge, redirected to somitomi onto jimbob
-somitomi doctors jimbob, redirected back to jimbob via Liri
-bessie poisons somitomi, redirected to Liri. Liri is poisoned and will die N3.
-jimbob kills moody, redirected to plytho, gains plytho powers for D2
-Madge sends Sabrar the toy manual, redirected to somitomi

N2:
Spoiler:
-jimbob commutes with plytho powers
-Liri redirects Madge to bessie
-bessie kills Liri
-Madge makes bessie visit every other player
-bessie follows N1 Madge and learns she sent a message (manual to somitomi)

N3:
Spoiler:
-Madge forms a private neighborhood with bessie
-jimbob kills Madge
-bessie watches N2 Liri, learns she was visited by bessie

Madge

Re: Secret Santa 2017 Endgame - Merry Christmas

Postby Madge » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:27 am UTC

damnit somitomi why didn't you post my toy manual in thread :( if only you'd known i needed it!!!!!

BESSIE: I KNEW IT WAS YOU

What a horrible break on jimbob being "cleared" by moody's ability. that's nasty.

Do you have who submitted what? I want to know what abilities scum submitted.

Thanks for running this game guys it was fun! I'm really glad to know that there was a way for me to work out what my toy did, even if it didn't work out

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:00 am UTC

:D :lol: :mrgreen:

Well done scum. Well done.
Well, if I was town this time I would have failed way worse than this. Probably would have been named honorary scum.

Poor Sabrar, I wonder how’ll he’ll feel when he wakes up in the mourning...

I honestly wanted the game to go on, so many cool abilities that were flying around!
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:26 am UTC

Shout outs after I read spoilers, I have paperwork for work that is due tomorrow morning, and will take me a couple of hours.

Hey Sabrar, there aren’t going to be any trust issues between you and me in the future, are there? :?

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:31 am UTC

Madge wrote:damnit somitomi why didn't you post my toy manual in thread :( if only you'd known i needed it!!!!!

BESSIE: I KNEW IT WAS YOU

What a horrible break on jimbob being "cleared" by moody's ability. that's nasty.

Do you have who submitted what? I want to know what abilities scum submitted.

Thanks for running this game guys it was fun! I'm really glad to know that there was a way for me to work out what my toy did, even if it didn't work out

It's in the spoilers in GoJoe... I have one that says "Game Setup" or something. jimbob submitted flicky's ability (though that ability was more heavily modified than any other because it was almost identical to somitomi's). bessie submitted somitomit's role.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:02 am UTC

Congrats to scum. Need to read spoilers and scum-chat before commenting any further.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:18 am UTC

LaserGuy wrote:The rule about not being able to describe your role was in Secret Santa 2015. It appears to me that scum had this advantage in that game as well, but it's hard for me to be absolutely certain.
They didn't. I know because I remember asking the mod.

jimbob played a phenomenal game, there were a few things that troubled me about bessie but not enough.
Apologies to Town for the horrendous reads but that's still status quo for me.
And that's where I stop commenting.

wam

Postby wam » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:40 am UTC

Good game. Congrats scum on a pretty flawless win.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:24 am UTC

Okay, can someone please explain to me how I can look that townie as Town!?

That was a fun game. I don't know if the twist in moody's role ended up making a huge amount of difference to the game or not, but it did have bessie and I thinking bessie might have poisoned herself, hence why we didn't quick-hammer moody when we got the chance - we needed to look townie in case one of us died overnight and Madge managed to prevent the night kill somehow.

I'll try to get a full shout out list later when I have more time.

Thanks for running the game!
BlitzGirl the Primordial

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:01 am UTC

Congrats bessie and jimbob, you pulled this off flawlessly.
Madge wrote:damnit somitomi why didn't you post my toy manual in thread :( if only you'd known i needed it!!!!!

I know right? Really sorry about that, I should've at least hinted towards receiving something. :oops:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Okay, can someone please explain to me how I can look that townie as Town!?

What are you askig us for? You're the one who was damn near untouchable this entire game.
—◯-◯

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:06 pm UTC

Great game guys. Shame it didn't last long for me. bessie, jimbob, you were amazing as mafia.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

wam

Postby wam » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:22 pm UTC

Realised I didn't thank the Mods! Great game thanks for running it.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:35 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:-Moody activates schedule cycle, gains bulletproof for D2

So, everything on this set of actions I can figure except for how jimbob's kill went up when everything else went down. Really, Maven (or Suzaku if he had subbed in at that point) should have been the one who died, and that would have changed everything.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:38 pm UTC

We added a hidden mechanic, scum kill goes up the list instead of down. Much chaos!
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:40 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:-Moody activates schedule cycle, gains bulletproof for D2

So, everything on this set of actions I can figure except for how jimbob's kill went up when everything else went down. Really, Maven (or Suzaku if he had subbed in at that point) should have been the one who died, and that would have changed everything.
LaserGuy wrote:Moody role PM:
Spoiler:
Elf coordinator.
It’s your job to work the calendars, the emails, the packages, and seemingly everything else in this little office. Your long hours coordinating insane work hours, and the frantic elves has improved your control over the workplace. And if you want, you can really mess things up.
Schedule cycle: When activated at this night, this ability will redirect the targets of every player in the game to the next surviving slot in the list order for the night. Players will not be informed that their actions have been altered. Upon using this ability, you are also one-shot bulletproof until the following night.

Example:

Suppose the player order is:
LaserGuy
Peaceful Whale
SDK
YOU
Gopher of Pern
On N1, LaserGuy targets SDK with a kill, Peaceful Whale cops LaserGuy, SDK roleblocks Gopher of Pern. After using your power, LaserGuy’s kill is redirected to YOU (one slot below SDK), Peaceful Whale’s cop is redirected to Peaceful Whale (one slot below LaserGuy) and SDK’s roleblock is redirected to LaserGuy. Result: LaserGuy is roleblocked, Peaceful Whale receives an innocent result.

Hidden Aspect: Due to a clerical error in your spreadsheet, the mailroom has got the wrong message and is sending presents to the wrong people. Unlike other powers, the mafia nightkill will be directed on player up the list order instead of one player down the list. Other kills will behave normally.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:12 pm UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:We added a hidden mechanic, scum kill goes up the list instead of down. Much chaos!

I got to that in the spoiler binge.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:35 pm UTC

@mods: just out of curiosity, did you modify the roles first and then assigned them to alignments or did you modify them while already knowing what scum got?

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:28 pm UTC

Modified before I believe.
Spoiler:

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:48 pm UTC

Yes, the roles were modified first. I think there were a few minor tweaks done after the roles had been assigned.

jimbob's role was definitely modified to be more mafia-aligned, for example (that he needed to use the kill to gain powers).

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:36 am UTC

just realised that if i'd followed my NORMAL meta of claiming details of my power d1 then somitomi would have known the contents of his message would be useful to me and would be able to provide me with some of them as information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ugh HINDSIGHT amirite?

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:55 am UTC

This was a fun game, too bad I didn't make it to D2. Congrats to the stellar scum team. Thanks to LaserWhale for modding!

I enjoyed coming up with a role. If I ever mod a game I might work in a polished version of the one I made for this game :mrgreen:
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:26 pm UTC

Shout out time!

LaserGuy & Peaceful Whale: Thank you so much for modding. I enjoyed the flavour, and I must admit I wasn't sure whether I was the bad guy or the good guy throughout the game!

Maven: Please come back when you can. Sorry that you had to sub out.
Suzaku: Sorry that you too had to go.
Flicky: You tried, but your fate was more or less already sealed when you subbed in. Still, hope to see you around again.

plytho: IIRC, you were one of the few people who didn't label both bessie and I as town early D1. You have some good thoughts, and I look forward to being on the same team as you in the future.

wam: bessie and I were trying to save you D1, although that had nothing to do with you misreading us :lol: You did a good job at making several town think that you weren't scum though, as the close D1 votals go to show.

somitomi: I think you're definitely improving, and I don't think you should beat yourself up about not claiming that manual. I'm not sure if I'd had done so or not in your position, because the risk would have been that the item ended up in scum's hand.

Liri: You came up with some good points, and I reckon you'll do well going forwards, as long as you trust yourself a little more.

Madge: I always enjoy playing with you. Bad luck that you got messed up with the ability.

Sabrar: Thanks for leading a couple of town mislynches, not to mention your town-daykill :lol: Seriously though, I had no way I could build a case against you in the latter half of the game, so good job for looking so townie. I just wish I knew how I managed to look so townie to you!

moody: Your ability was a headache to deal with, so thank you for persuading Sabrar to vote for you at game end! Believe it or not, your late ability claim D1 had more chance to do scum damage than not, as we were both second-guessing ourselves with the target.

bessie: I don't think we'll ever be able to trust each other as town again. You did a very good job, I had a lot of fun playing with you as my buddy, and I couldn't have done it without you. I look forward to many future scum games together :D

Other thoughts: In Gojoe, LaserGuy thought I made a slip about suggesting a delayed roleblock ability, based on bessie having that kind of ability. I can't say for certain if the idea would have crossed my mind if I'd not know of bessie's ability, but I feel like this was something I might have come up with anyway, when trying to explain the situation. Meanwhile, I had successfully called Sabrar as potentially having access to his day kill on D4 again, so no, he wouldn't have been able to dig town out of jail with that one.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun in this game, thank you to everyone for who was involved.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:49 pm UTC

If anyone is interested, here are the original version of all of the roles as submitted by the players.

Sabrar
Spoiler:
Role Name: Time-travelling JOAT
Role-description/mechanics: Jack-of-all-trades whose abilities are messed up by the space-time continuum.

N1 ability: Vigilante. Target a player, s/he will die N5 if still alive, even if you died before that.
N2 ability: Doctor. Target a player, s/he will be protected from 1 kill on N4, even if you died before that.
N3 ability: Role-Cop. Target a player, learn his/her role-name (not mechanics).
N4 ability: Tracker. Target a player, learn who s/he targeted N2. May target dead players.
N5 ability: Watcher. Target a player, learn who s/he was targeted by N1. May target dead players.

No abilities after N5. No hidden mechanics.
I guess most appropriate flavor would be Doctor Who but I don't know the series well enough.

wam
Spoiler:
Role
Ultimate action hero (was originally john maclain from die hard but your choice on flavour).

You are the ultimate weapons master but unlike being in the movies you need to reload!

You can either be a PGO or have a public day kill.

At the start of the night you state if you want to be a PGO for that night or have a public day kill.

If you are a PGO for that night, anyone who visits you will die. If you choose the day vig, you can kill someone by stating Kill XXX in the thread.

I know this maybe overpowered, if you want a different role let me know.

somitomi
Spoiler:
Role name: Grave robber
Role description: Beginning with the second day, you can use the ability of whoever was lynched at the end of the previous day. You can use a day power during that day, a night power during the following night. You may decide not to use it, but you can not keep it for later.
Role mechanics:
The power doesn't apply to factional powers (like the mafia's kill), chats or passive roles. It doesn't depend on alignment, mafia can get the power of a townie and vice versa. If a person with some ability not ruled out above is lynched, the player gets a PM from you telling them what ability they may use that day (to avoid confusion). They can then PM you their decision (use it or not) and their target if necessary. Not sending a PM by the end of the day results in the ability not being used. The ability can only be used on the day after their original owner was lynched (or the night following that day), otherwise they are lost.

Liri
Spoiler:
Role: "White Elephant" (the flavor is relevant)

Effect: the players targeted during the night rotate by 1 based on a predetermined list. If a player isn't targeted by anyone, it skips to the next on the list (or not, if you want to make it even more bastard). So, if player XXX targets Player YYY, it will actually target Player ZZZ. And if Player CCC targets Player ZZZ, it will target Player AAA.

This could, of course, result in players unwittingly targeting themselves. :P

Whether it's a one-time use, every other night, or what have you I leave up to you guys. And if there is anything unclear, I'll be happy to clarify anything.

Madge
Spoiler:
Role Name: Hot Cross Bunny

Description: It seems that Hot Cross buns go on sale earlier and earlier every year, but this is the first time they've been in stores before Boxing Day. This holiday creep is the worst, especially because everyone gets upset about Christmas decorations coming up after Halloween but nobody thinks of the plight of the poor Hot Cross Buns! Easter's not until April, for crying out loud!

You were born out of the fires of peoples' hatred to this holiday creep. You're a Hot Cross Bunny, and you are hot, you are cross, and you are hopping mad!

You have three abilities, of which you can use only one per night:

Hot: Torture may be prohibited under the Geneva convention, but people are selling baked goods months earlier than you think they should be, so we're basically in a post-apocalyptic wasteland already. You can hold someone's hands and heat them to an uncomfortable temperature, forcing them to reveal something about themselves in order to make it stop. This gives you one element of their role PM (it may be one of their powers, it may be their rolename, it may be their alignment: who can say?)

Cross: I don't know if you got the picture yet, but you are one angry little lagomorph! Nobody wants to mess with you if they're on the wrong side of you. You can target one person. For the rest of the game, any actions they use that target you will automatically fail. (This ability can only be used once)

Bunny: As a rabbit, you have access to an extensive underground rabbit warren. This means you can pop up where they least expect you. So you have the ability to deliver a short, anonymous note to anyone you like.

Mechanics:

As written. I like the idea of the "hot" ability randomly giving one of alignment, power, or rolename.

Quite happy for all the abilities to be one shot or for only one ability to be available or for them to be changed.

The Bunny ability could work more logically as a commuter or hider (hiding in the warren), but when I did secret santa last year there were so many roleblocking/hiding/commuting roles that I wanted to avoid giving you those.

jimbob
Spoiler:
Role Name: Tilly, The Town Cryer
Role Description: "Hear Ye, Hear Ye! Elves demand union representation. Refusing to work at peak time without it. Strikers singing carols and blocking access to workshops. Hear Ye, Hear Ye!"

You are Tilly, the "Town" Cryer. It is your job to make sure everybody knows what's going on in Elf society.

Each night, you may send the mods a PM which contains a message to be posted at day start. The message will be labelled as coming from your character.

In addition, being the only journalist in town, you've picked up the basics of quite a few skills as you've shared news articles on arrange of subjects, although you have none of the required equipment... yet. At the end of each night, you gain up to one ability from a player who died during the day (including by lynch) and up to one from a player who died during the night. You may use any or all abilities so gained thereafter.

Role Mechanics and notes:
1) Although the role is called "The Town Cryer", there is no requirement for this role to be town-aligned. However, to avoid bastardry, you should make it clear the first time Tilly's message is posted that despite the name, they are not necessarily town.
2) The message should be clearly posted as being made by "Tilly, the Town Cryer". One idea might be to use quote tags to separate the message from anything else.
3) For fairness and balance, you will need to decide which abilities are eligible for gaining by Tilly at game start. These abilities should have the same restrictions and results as the original, but limited-shots should be recharged.

moody
Spoiler:
Role Name-Keebler Elf

Description- You just love baking and giving away what you bake. And each cookie is baked with magic, so your friends get some neat powers. But you can only give one cookie per night, and sharing means you don't want to give someone all your cookies. Your tin includes an espresso cookie, a Sleepytime cookie, a peanut butter cookie, and a blueberry cookie.

Mechanics- Several single use powers available, player cannot target the same player more than once, powers as follows:

espresso cookie- one time watcher power.
Sleepytime cookie- one time roleblock power.
peanut butter cookie- one time power that prevents the target from voting next Day.
blueberry cookie- one time doctor power.

P.S. Sorry if this sounds too much like the one role from Madge's game last year.

plytho
Spoiler:
Role description:

You were playing in the woods when something weird fell from the sky. It looks like a toy and it has weird buttons on the side that you don’t understand. Each night you get to [must?] point the toy at another player and push one of the buttons.

These are the buttons on the tool:
[ :!: :arrow:]

Night action example:

Target: LaserGuy, push [ :?: :idea: ]

Role mechanics (hidden):

alien joat tool

Shots:
Doctor
Cop (cop results are not readable without translation)
Watcher
roleblocker
Everywhere but here: Untargetable but show up everywhere (people get a note that they were visited, or trackers watchers always see Sam)
Potassium detector: Receive a random name (alien function of the tool that is of no use, eg: detect high potassium content)
Untranslatable no-result shot

Each night a translation note drops from the sky onto a random player

Symbols:
[ :!: :arrow: ]
[ :idea: :?: ]
[ :idea: :arrow: ]

Translations:
doctor
cop
watcher
roleblocker
everywhere but here
potassium detector
[no translation note available]
good
evil

(good and evil are cop results, the rest are the powers.)

Flavor:

An alien ship exploded (collision with Santa’s sleigh?) and an alien tool dropped from the sky. Along with the tool, parts of an alien-english dictionary are also falling. These are lighter so they are falling slower, randomly dropping around the town.

Some notes:
-You should randomize the translations so I don't have that information.
-Feel free to add or remove powers for balance.
-I'm not sure whether it's best to make use of the tool mandatory or not. If it's not mandatory I'm afraid people won't use it until they have more info so I'm kind of leaning mandatory.
-Perhaps more notes drop N1 (otherwise there might be very limited info for this power)

If you don't like this role for some reason, please let me know and I'll try to come up with another one.

Maven
Spoiler:
Obsessive Poltergeist- During the night, you can possess one person and redirect their ability to another target. If you redirect the target to yourself, their action will not go through . However, once you possess a person they will build up a resistance, and you will not be able to target them again. You have to target one person every night, and their night action has to go through, or you will face unforeseen consequences. You are immune to being roleblocked.

Other notes- While the poltergiest is immune to roleblocking, the target they pick is not. If the target they pick is roleblocked (or the poltergeist doesn't pick a target), than the poltergeist will either die or become vanilla, depending on how many roleblocking roles there are in the game (I figure it's not fair to kill them if there's multiple roleblocks). You are perfectly free to change the consequences for their action not going through to whatever you want, if you can think of a better outcome (or more balanced, depending on the roles). Either way, the poltergeist will not be told what happens if they fail. When it comes to the poltergeist's immunity to roleblocking, if there are multiple actions taking place (like a jailer), than only the roleblocking aspect will fail.

bessie
Spoiler:
So disappointed that I won't have time to write something creative, but I'm sure the two of you can write some nice flavor to go with this:

http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/dat ... e=Mediator

I've found that the Secret Santa roles tend to be way overpowered, perhaps because everyone wants to create something spectacular, so this should help level things out a bit.

Return to “Mafia”