The Dark Tower - Mission failure

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

LaserGuy

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby LaserGuy » Tue May 09, 2017 8:24 am UTC

Good game all! :)

#HBC | Zyth

Re: The Dark Tower - Mission failure

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Tue May 09, 2017 8:26 am UTC

Bah, no wonder laserguy has been feeling so weird, so it's because he's scum. GG scum

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue May 09, 2017 8:38 am UTC

:shock: I felt completely out of my depth for the latter half of the game, especially D3. Being scum for the first time in a normal environment (a 26 player game, a cult game where I had to unseat the cult leader, and a naïve silversmith being my previous experience) was hard work. Thank you LaserGuy and SDK for being great scum buddies, Sabrar for running a fun (if tiring) game, and FrozenFlame for giving us that little boost over the line :P
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

#HBC | Zyth

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Tue May 09, 2017 8:39 am UTC

Oh yea! Congrats to mpolo for winning too! I at least managed to pull through for you :D

#HBC | Zyth

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Tue May 09, 2017 8:41 am UTC

I think I played pretty bad this game; this sort of taking a back seat style just isn't for me. I need to interact with players real time and bounce questions around at a faster pace >.< I'm just too busy for that nowadays though, which led to this I guess, sorry town! I think we could have managed to get laserguy and jimbob pretty early on if I took a closer look at them, but oh well, what's done is done :( Guess I shouldn't be playing mafia while having 3-4 hours of sleep a day due to work haha. Which means @YOLO I probably won't be playing mafia till next year's February if you'd like to invite me to any interesting games!

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Tue May 09, 2017 10:46 am UTC

Good game scum.

Not the greatest effort by town there in LYLO, I thought it was really obvious I was the SK and considered claiming. A lot of reckless town reads given out throughout the game and I wish others had backed me up on an SDK/jimbob crossvote. Oh well.

Very clever to have SDK and jimbob's abilities as the same alignment, props to Sabrar.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Tue May 09, 2017 11:13 am UTC

#HBC | Zyth wrote:I think I played pretty bad this game; this sort of taking a back seat style just isn't for me. I need to interact with players real time and bounce questions around at a faster pace >.< I'm just too busy for that nowadays though, which led to this I guess, sorry town! I think we could have managed to get laserguy and jimbob pretty early on if I took a closer look at them, but oh well, what's done is done :( Guess I shouldn't be playing mafia while having 3-4 hours of sleep a day due to work haha. Which means @YOLO I probably won't be playing mafia till next year's February if you'd like to invite me to any interesting games!
Heh.

You were looking very innocent on D4 when you put in more effort. After I voted you and you engaged me on scumteams, I really started doubting a lynch on you to the point I unvoted. Had we worked together a little more earlier, we MAY have had a shot to at least get me the win with jimbob (my top read) and SDK (your top read) plays, though it would have been difficult. You're a good player and really came around in LYLO (you had SDK/jimbob/Frozen as the team, and Frozen may as well have been a scum member this game) so it's a bummer we won't get to play again soon. I thought we were going to no lynch D4 and I had a jimbob kill submitted. I laughed when I read you used the kill on mpolo! Anyway, thanks for joining, was fun my dude.

I'm usually MUCH lazier yet more ruthless as town than I was this game so we'll see if I go back to that. That said, I still argue that massclaims are overrated and it's best to just crossvote scummy players in case scum utilize the info to manipulate town like they did here. I wasn't making that play with the intent to hurt town and most of the townies didn't take issue with it, it was mostly scum who latched onto it as a reason to suspect me. That said, town deserved to lose this one and I don't say that with any bitterness, there was just some poor play on their part and scum did a good job. Town threw out town reads too easily as well.

Poor bessie, I had a feeling her read on jimbob was right but town let it slip by.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue May 09, 2017 11:34 am UTC

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:Poor bessie, I had a feeling her read on jimbob was right but town let it slip by.
You should read the Gojoe posts, bessie guessed the entire scum-team correctly at the beginning of D2.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Tue May 09, 2017 11:51 am UTC

I see. Good job bessie, hopefully you have more sway in future games when you have good reads.

I enjoyed this, though it was a bit slow at times. Hopefully I can talk Frozen and Zyth into another soon, I'm looking forward to the next one.

#HBC | Zyth

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Tue May 09, 2017 1:14 pm UTC

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:
#HBC | Zyth wrote:I think I played pretty bad this game; this sort of taking a back seat style just isn't for me. I need to interact with players real time and bounce questions around at a faster pace >.< I'm just too busy for that nowadays though, which led to this I guess, sorry town! I think we could have managed to get laserguy and jimbob pretty early on if I took a closer look at them, but oh well, what's done is done :( Guess I shouldn't be playing mafia while having 3-4 hours of sleep a day due to work haha. Which means @YOLO I probably won't be playing mafia till next year's February if you'd like to invite me to any interesting games!
Heh.

You were looking very innocent on D4 when you put in more effort. After I voted you and you engaged me on scumteams, I really started doubting a lynch on you to the point I unvoted. Had we worked together a little more earlier, we MAY have had a shot to at least get me the win with jimbob (my top read) and SDK (your top read) plays, though it would have been difficult. You're a good player and really came around in LYLO (you had SDK/jimbob/Frozen as the team, and Frozen may as well have been a scum member this game) so it's a bummer we won't get to play again soon. I thought we were going to no lynch D4 and I had a jimbob kill submitted. I laughed when I read you used the kill on mpolo! Anyway, thanks for joining, was fun my dude.

I'm usually MUCH lazier yet more ruthless as town than I was this game so we'll see if I go back to that. That said, I still argue that massclaims are overrated and it's best to just crossvote scummy players in case scum utilize the info to manipulate town like they did here. I wasn't making that play with the intent to hurt town and most of the townies didn't take issue with it, it was mostly scum who latched onto it as a reason to suspect me. That said, town deserved to lose this one and I don't say that with any bitterness, there was just some poor play on their part and scum did a good job. Town threw out town reads too easily as well.

Poor bessie, I had a feeling her read on jimbob was right but town let it slip by.

Haha, I'll admit. The shot on mpolo was an extremely mechanical and safe one, I was really scared of any chance of hitting town at all. Heck, I almost shot jimbob! I had all my plans laid out too :( I wanted to lynch SDK, hope for you to kill a member of scum, lynch you the next Day and I'll probably end up shooting frozen anyways >_> unless we can somehow net laserguy as scum on the last Day, haha. I even had plans for GoP in the event that scum NK-ed me under the impression I was the SK and the SK killed mafia too. I wanted GoP to NL in a 2-1-1 scenario and force SK/mafia into a kingmaker-y scenario. That was a fun last Day, though the ending was pretty underwhelming, when I saw the final 2 votes I went straight to my neighbour chat and said to GoP "whelp there's the quickhammer"

FrozenFlame

Postby FrozenFlame » Tue May 09, 2017 1:39 pm UTC

Welp, shouldve stuck with my gut there and recognized YOLO was obviously SK. Defintely drank the setup optimism kool-aid under the gun...

Definitely just got railroaded this game. I wasn't seeing eye to eye with any other townies which made it easy for scum to control the narrative in late game. I let my perhaps warranted paranoia get the best of me. It's also unfortunate that I was so stuck on jimbob/laser being TvS and didnt at all consider they were both scum. If I wasn't so sure one was town I probably would have been pushing for lynching either of them D3 but I felt it was too risky to go for what I thought was a 50/50 there.

Blah. Rough return round for me. Sorry town, I definitely dropped the ball here. Congrats to scum on a game well played, I can honestly say I never once considered the actual scum team to be the likely scum team. Can't do much better than that.

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue May 09, 2017 2:48 pm UTC

Hoo boy, felt a little tight there at the end. I'm glad I didn't do all that work for nothing. I find being scum so demoralizing at times!

Thanks for joining us on this one, HBC crew. It was good playing with you again, and with you Frozen. Sorry I couldn't be town with you this time, but I hope you'll play again! :)

Thanks Sabrar for modding. I liked a few of your roles a lot. The JOAT and vig that gain additional powers over time are pretty cool. I wish we'd had some indication of YOLOSWAG's drawback though. It felt completely hopeless for us against a fully untargetable SK - none of our powers could do anything at all against him.

Good game all!
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue May 09, 2017 2:56 pm UTC

SDK wrote:I wish we'd had some indication of YOLOSWAG's drawback though. It felt completely hopeless for us against a fully untargetable SK - none of our powers could do anything at all against him.
I considered giving a hint in the flavor in some obscure way but in the end I felt it unfair to the SK. With almost everyone having a targeting power this seemed like an acceptable drawback. And jimbob almost got it right in the scum-chat without any hint whatsoever.

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue May 09, 2017 3:24 pm UTC

That's because jimbob apparently has a super power where he can guess abilities based on no information whatsoever! :P

(I actually was impressed by that, both in-thread and in-chat)

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue May 09, 2017 3:29 pm UTC

Yeah, his early guess at Carlington being backup surprised me as well.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue May 09, 2017 4:41 pm UTC

way to completely ignore my reads from D1.

and good job scum, you played a great game!
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed May 10, 2017 7:06 am UTC

Congratulations mafia and mpolo! Thank you Sabrar, even though I died early, I think this will be one of my favorite games.

FrozenFlame, YOLOSWAG, and Zyth, I’ m disappointed we didn’t get to interact more. I was so impressed will how good you all are at this game, and quite entertained following along on D3. I hope you will come back and play again some time.

SDK wrote:@bessie, your GoJoe posts make me sad that we killed you because I know you would have had fun, but also very glad we killed you because your reads we so good! Also because of your cop shot aimed at me, of course. I hate getting found out by cops. :P
SDK, you made the correct choice because a “not town” result on you would have been a definite cop claim and enough for you to earn all my attention on D2. You’re dangerous as scum. :twisted: I would have liked to play longer but I was having a pretty good time watching you work over town, so it was an acceptable consolation prize.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Wed May 10, 2017 2:00 pm UTC

Thank you bessie, you're quite skilled too. Frozen enjoyed the atmosphere as did Zyth. They're a bit busy at the moment but you'll see them again in another large game soon.

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed May 10, 2017 2:13 pm UTC

bessie wrote:You’re dangerous as scum. :twisted: I would have liked to play longer but I was having a pretty good time watching you work over town, so it was an acceptable consolation prize.

Hopefully not dangerous enough to get lynched next time. :D

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu May 11, 2017 8:49 pm UTC

I said to myself, "I'm probably have to lose to SDK as Mafia once before I get a good read on him.". Well played, I thought GoP was going to pull it off there at the end for a while.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Fri May 12, 2017 7:45 am UTC

Well, I had everything totally read wrong. Up until close to the end, I thought Zyth was the SK (I did realize it was YOLOSWAG before I died, though). But I had town and scum totally swapped. :( I guess my excuse is that I wasn't required to try very hard at scumhunting, because I didn't want to risk having to put a negative read on Zyth.

Of course, he tried to kill me anyway, despite my claim. I mean, it's hardly something I could have pulled out of a hat. Oh well.

At least I get the consolation prize of an undeserved win. Good game, scum!
Image <-- Evil experiment

Return to “Mafia”