Ghost Mafia(Shamelessly Copied)

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

zabing12

Ghost Mafia(Shamelessly Copied)

Postby zabing12 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:14 am UTC

As it seems like I won't be able to get that other game up, I've been wanting to do this one. I've been testing it on another forum, and I love it. Here we go:
I think of a secret word. This word is given to some players, but other players have to guess this secret word. Each player is given one of the following roles:
-Ghost: tries to guess the secret word. Knows who the other ghosts are.
-Villager: knows the secret word and tries to prevent the ghosts from guessing the secret word.
-Fool: thinks he's a villager, but receives a different word. If the ghosts guess the fool's word, the ghosts do not win. If there is more than 1 fool, they all receive the same fool's word. Sided with the villagers.

The secret word can be essentially anything, like water, earth, scared, tiger, Italy, kebab, you name it. The ghosts only receive the number of letters in the secret word.

Once players have received their role (in spoiler ed text), they have to give a short description of the secret word. Ghosts have to make something up. Ghosts can try to wait and read the other descriptions first before they think of a description of their own, or they can try to take a risk and give some general description right away, or they can try to pretend they are a fool. Villagers can try to give a very vague description, but not too vague since other villagers might think they are a ghost.

After each player has given a description of the secret word, players will discuss with each other who they think is a ghost. Like in mafia, players need to vote other players and can get one player lynched. A majority of votes will get someone lynched. If a villager or fool is lynched, a new round of discussion and voting starts immediately. Fools appear as villagers upon death. If a ghost is lynched, that player gets 24 hours to guess the secret word (they get only 1 guess). If the guess is correct, the ghosts win. Else, a new round of discussion and voting starts immediately. If all ghosts are lynched and they have not guessed the secret words, the villagers (and fools) win. If there is an equal number of villagers/fools and ghosts left, the ghosts win.

HINT PHASE
-The hint phase starts when it is announced in the thread, and ends 6 days after. During the first 3 days, players will receive their role pm. As soon as you have received your role pm, you may give a hint about the secret word, but no later than 6 days after the start of the hint phase. If you have not given a hint by that time, you are out of the game.
-Only one post per player is allowed, and no other content than the hint about the secret word is allowed.
-Your hint may not contain more than 100 words, and preferably should contain only one or a few words.
-No cryptography is allowed in your hint. If you are unsure if your hint violates this rule, send me a message before you post your hint.
-Only the concept of the secret word may be described, not the way it is written. Saying the word is a noun/verb or saying it is an emotion/country/animal is fine, saying the third letter is a 'b' is not fine. If you are unsure if your hint violates this rule, send me a message.
-The secret word itself is not allowed in the description, unless you don't know the secret word (as a ghost or a fool).
-Once you have posted your hint, you may not change it in any way.
DISCUSSION PHASE
-The discussion phase starts when all players have given a description of their word.
-During the discussion phase, players will discuss who they think is a ghost and will vote for other players (Example: Vote: Lawrencelot). Once a player has received a majority of votes, they will be lynched. If discussion takes too long (more than half a week), I will impose a deadline. At deadline, the player with the most votes is lynched. In case of a tie, the player who had the most votes before the tie is lynched.
-No communication about this game is allowed outside this thread. You may use the Gojoe's thread to comment on the game, in spoilers, but it's against the rules to read spoilers pertaining this game on that thread.
-No direct quotes from the mod are allowed.
-Rules for the hint phase still apply here, except that there is no word or post limit, and you may mention the secret word in casual conversation.
-When a villager or fool is lynched, they are out of the game and may not post in this thread until the game is finished. Their role will be revealed, but the fool will appear as a villager.
-When a ghost is lynched, that player has 24 hours to post their guess of the secret word. Only 1 guess is allowed. If they guess the secret word correctly, all ghosts win. If not, the ghost dies and may not post in this thread until the game is finished. The ghost's role will be revealed on death.
-The discussion phase does not end until either side has won the game (ghosts guess the secret word, at least half of the players are ghosts, or all ghosts are dead).
ROLE PMS
5x Villager
Villager role pm wrote:
You are a villager. You try to lynch the ghosts and prevent them from guessing the secret word. The secret word is water. You win when all ghosts have been lynched and have not guessed the secret word.

2x Fool
Fool role pm wrote:
You are a villager. You try to lynch the ghosts and prevent them from guessing the secret word. The secret word is earth. You win when all ghosts have been lynched and have not guessed the secret word.

Note: fool's word is of the same length as the secret word. Fool appears as villager on death.

4x Ghost
Ghost role pm wrote:
You are a Ghost. You try to guess the secret word, or lynch all the villagers. The secret word is 5 letters long. Your partners are Player B and Player C, but you are not allowed to communicate with them privately. You win when you or one of your partners guesses the secret word after a lynch, or when at least half of all players are ghosts.

1x Other
Other role pm wrote:
???

(this is a secret role, not Vytrons)

Moderator: Zabing
Original Game Credit: EpicMafia(Copied rules off of Vytron, cuz I'm lazy :mrgreen: .)
Size: 7+ (4-6 also possible)
Speed: max 3 days per game phase
Complexity: -
Setup: -

Players:

Replacements:

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: Ghost Mafia(Shamelessly Copied)

Postby Vytron » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:33 am UTC

Players:
1.Vytron (Need some practice at not being Modkilled)

Replacements:

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:11 am UTC

Players:
2.SPACKlick

Replacements:

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:59 pm UTC

Players:
2.SPACKlick
3. Lawrencelot

Replacements:

ajh

Postby ajh » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:15 pm UTC

Players:
2.SPACKlick
3. Lawrencelot

Replacements:
1. ajh

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:17 am UTC

Players:
2.SPACKlick
3. Lawrencelot
4. Madge (Need some practice at not getting Vytron modkilled)

Replacements:
1. ajh
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Minestrone

Postby Minestrone » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:48 pm UTC

Players:
2.SPACKlick
3. Lawrencelot

Replacements:
1. ajh
2. Minestrone (bump me up to a player if I die in a current game before this starts)

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:14 am UTC

Players:
2.SPACKlick
3. Lawrencelot
5. SirGabriel

Replacements:
1. ajh
2. Minestrone (bump me up to a player if I die in a current game before this starts)

zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:03 pm UTC

Hint phase Will Begin at 4:00 Sunday UTC time.

Any replacements may bump themselves up to players today and saturday, I will give them roles.

If you do not have a role pm, please notify me.

zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:20 pm UTC

The Hint Phase has Begun.
INT PHASE
-The hint phase starts when it is announced in the thread, and ends 6 days after. During the first 3 days, players will receive their role pm. As soon as you have received your role pm, you may give a hint about the secret word, but no later than 6 days after the start of the hint phase. If you have not given a hint by that time, you are out of the game.
-Only one post per player is allowed, and no other content than the hint about the secret word is allowed.
-Your hint may not contain more than 100 words, and preferably should contain only one or a few words.
-No cryptography is allowed in your hint. If you are unsure if your hint violates this rule, send me a message before you post your hint.
-Only the concept of the secret word may be described, not the way it is written. Saying the word is a noun/verb or saying it is an emotion/country/animal is fine, saying the third letter is a 'b' is not fine. If you are unsure if your hint violates this rule, send me a message.
-The secret word itself is not allowed in the description, unless you don't know the secret word (as a ghost or a fool).
-Once you have posted your hint, you may not change it in any way.

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:30 pm UTC

adjective

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:37 pm UTC

edible

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:38 pm UTC

Hulk smash!

zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:54 pm UTC

Hint phase will be over in two days.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:54 pm UTC

17th century

zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:31 am UTC

Madge Will Be mod killed tomorrow If he does not post his hint.

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:48 am UTC

zabing12 wrote:Madge Will Be mod killed tomorrow If he does not post his hint.

At 4:00 Friday you said the game would begin at 4:00 today. In the main post you said hint phase would last 6 days, and you started he game with 10 slots on sign up but with only 4 players I think a mod kill would be unseemly that quickly.

zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:30 pm UTC

Sorry.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:39 am UTC

Non-hint content spoilered below:
Spoiler:
Yeah what the heck! I didn't even get a PM telling me I was on the verge of getting modkilled. I've had a busy long weekend (ANZAC day in Australia). Also - I'm a girl, you could have found that out easily in the pronoun thread. Those two things together along with the tone make me feel a bit disrespected.

Affective
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:49 am UTC

Question: As the original set up was 5/2/4/1 advertised as 7+players are we allowed to know the numbers with 5 of us?

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:00 pm UTC

Since everyone has posted their description, it looks like we're in the discussion phase.
With 5 players, I would assume there would be 3 villagers, 1 fool, and 1 ghost. 2 ghosts would mean the entire guessing game goes out the window and all the ghosts need to do is cause a mislynch on day 1 to win. 2 fools would mean there were as many fools as villagers. I don't think this game works very well with this few players, but I guess we'll find out.

Vote: SPACKlick
He posted first, with an incredibly broad hint, and his hint clearly does not correspond to my word.

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:00 pm UTC

I wrote a long and detailed response to you SIrGabriel. I re-read it and it gave too much away and basically handed the game to scum. I can post it if players feel it will help village more than scum.
I am not scum but I'm also not surprised by the vote. I cannot think of any response to it that doesn't help scum more than village.
I don't think lynching me as village or fool helps scum much.
I agree 3/1/1 is the only viable set up at 5 players

FOS vytron

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:09 pm UTC

Discussion is our enemy in this game, I think we'd worked that out.

So without further ado:

Vote: Spacklick

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:33 am UTC

Yeah, by looking at these things I'm probably the fool, but SirGabriel's reasoning is sound, and my word isn't an adjective, so:

Vote: SPACKlick

Also, what's up with Madge's spoiler above?, shouldn't it be at Gojoe's or something? :shock:

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:47 am UTC

You can read my spoiler - it's not a real spoiler, I just didn't want to clog down my hint post with a small rant about how I felt to be threatened with a modkill on a long weekend!

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:47 am UTC

Vytron wrote:Yeah, by looking at these things I'm probably the fool

I thought I was the fool.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:11 pm UTC

Vote: Vytron

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:58 pm UTC

Lawrencelot wrote:Vote: Vytron
I don't think there's any reason to vote right now, since we already have a majority voting for SPACKlick, who might be the only ghost. Right now we're waiting on the mod.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:10 am UTC

Well, in case it makes a difference:

Unvote
Vote: Lawrencelot

Voting like that for a town or fool player without any reasoning is super-scummy.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:47 pm UTC

Apparently zabing is leaving, but I think we can continue this without the mod.
3 votes for SPACKlick ended the first day. SPACKlick is now dead and must reveal whether they are a ghost or a villager. If they are a ghost, they must try to guess the secret word.

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:49 pm UTC

Flip:I am a villager

If we need a mod, I am happy to take over now I'm dead if people want to pass me their role pms or other relevant stuffs.

SDK

Postby SDK » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:50 pm UTC

I can fill in as mod if you guys want me to. You can get away without a mod for this game, but offer's there.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:53 pm UTC

I think we need outside eyes to know whether the guessed word was the real or fools word without people revealing who's real and fool.

SDK

Postby SDK » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:57 pm UTC

SPACKlick wrote:I think we need outside eyes to know whether the guessed word was the real or fools word without people revealing who's real and fool.

Good point. Everyone send me their role PM's!

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:15 pm UTC

I'm assuming that any votes posted between when the hammer vote was cast and when SPACKlick was pronounced dead do not count.

Here are everyone's hints:
SPACKlick - adjective (villager)
Vytron - edible
SirGabriel - Hulk smash!
Lawrencelot - 17th century
Madge - affective

Given the new information that SPACKlick is not a ghost, here is the best theory I can come up with (although obviously I can't publicly explain all of the reasoning behind it):
SPACKlick is the fool. [This sentence removed because it might give information to the ghost for no good reason.] Lawrencelot is the ghost.

Vote: Lawrencelot

Also, is there a deadline for the end of day 2?

SDK

Postby SDK » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:29 pm UTC

I won't set a deadline until I receive all the role PM's. Carry on for now.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:12 pm UTC

Sorry SirGabriel, that just doesn't add up. By the hints given, unless the game started with more than 1 Ghost, I must be the fool, so SPACKlick had to be a villager. I won't say more about this for obvious reasons, but, had we started with 2 Ghosts, the mod would have told us we were at LYLO at the beginning of the game.

So it follows that you must be the Ghost.

Vote: SirGabriel

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:40 pm UTC

Unvote
Vote: Vytron

I have what I think is a very compelling argument for this vote, and I would be willing to share it if Lawrencelot and Madge want. I think it gives away minimal information, in fact so little that I will share it if I think doing so will prevent a mislynch, but even so I'd rather not give anything away if I can help it.

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri May 01, 2015 3:05 am UTC

@SirG feel free to give us information but at this point I'm pretty sure you're a ghost.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Fri May 01, 2015 7:33 am UTC

I made the post below yesterday, but wasn't sure whether to post it. But I don't think the ghost team has enough that they can use, so I guess it won't hurt.

Vytron thought he was the fool. SirGabriel thought he was the fool. Since they can't be both fool (I think?), I voted one of them yesterday.

Now Vytron still thinks he is the fool, and SirGabriel thinks Spacklick was the fool.

Would this set-up be possible? 2 town, 2 fool, 1 ghost.
Would be very hard for the ghost I think.

1 town, 2 fool, 2 ghost -> starts with lylo, so ghosts don't even need to bother looking for the secret word.
Same for 3/0/2.

So yes I also agree about 3/1/1, or 4/0/1, so there is at most 1 fool.

Return to “Mafia”