role ideas.

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

zabing12

role ideas.

Postby zabing12 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:27 am UTC

Just a simple list of roles that you can build off of. please credit me when you use it. Also, critique these roles as best you can.

Village Idiot: When the Village idiot dies from being lynched, the mafia may kill two people that night.

Little Boy:Mafia. May follow someone each night to receive any PM messages that are given to them. One other person will know who the little boy is, and they will not be mafia.

Lie Investigator: Chooses a post every night from any time. the moderator will tell the Lie Investigator whether this person was telling the truth or not. If the moderator cannot discern whether this was a lie or not, the result will come up as 'No Results'.

Suicide Cult member: If the entire suicide cult dies, they win the game.

President: if two other people vote to lynch the same person as he voted, that person is immediately killed. if that person was an innocent, the president is randomly given out to another player. The last president will regain his last role, but IS NOT his previous role until he passes on the role.

Old Maid: Every night, the old maid may switch roles with another player. Old Maid cannot win.

Actor: Can only cast the final vote, when EVERYONE votes, on a player.

Hated: requires one less vote to lynch. Wins when they are killed by anything that is not a lynch.

Dreamer:Will have a dream each night. The dream will consist of three people, at least one of which is mafia. The dream will give VERY subtle hints about who is the mafia.

Virgin:If converted by cult, they will die and two people will be converted to cult. If lynched, mafia cannot kill the next night. Village sided.

Gallis: Dies with the minority vote alongside the lynched. wins with village.

Seer: Choose a person each night. if you die, the last person's role will be revealed to all.

Scapegoat: May Scapegoat during the day once per game. If a person is about to be lynched that day, Scapegoat will die instead. The next day, scapegoat will have three votes instead of 0.

Blackmailer: Does not know who the mafia are, but wins with the mafia. every night they may choose a victim. That person cannot vote the next day. They will not know, and it will appear like they are voting until the person is or is not lynched.

Charmer:May choose a victim and witness every night. the victim will be 'charmed' they cannot use night actions against the Charmer. the witness will know who the victim is, but not the charmer. Wins when all other players are charmed.

Physiologist: May Visit a person each night to see if they are a serial killer or vigilante. If the role is a serial killer or vigilante, the serial killer or vigilante becomes a Simple Villager(see below). Innocent.
Marshall: May declare marshal law once per game. No one may use any actions that night. No one will know about the Marshall law.

Simple Villager: if a Simple Villager dies, all other Simple Villagers cannot be killed that night. Innocent.

Vigilante(NOT MY IDEA JUST PUTTING IN FOR CLARIFICATION): Has three bullets. May use a bullet at any time to kill one person. if that person is a innocent, they will immediately kill themselves. Innocent.

Yakuza May choose a victim every three nights. That person now loses all other win conditions and gains the Wins with mafia win condition. mafia.

Manipulator:May visit a person every night. That person must visit them instead of whatever target they were visiting. mafia

Barman:may cancel all actions of one person every night. Mafia.

Thief:May visit someone every three nights to steal one of their abilities. If they steal a vigilante's ability, they will not kill themselves when they shoot a villager, but only have one bullet. They may only have three abilities at a time, and can discard abilities if necessary. the thief ability counts as a ability, and you can discard it. You win when there is no one left alive.

Mythomaniac: Every three nights he visits someone. He becomes that role for three nights. If the player is a werewolf or serial killer, he cannot change roles.

Jack-of-All-Trades: Can heal one person once per game, Can kill one person once per game, and can investigate one person once per game. sided with mafia.

Listener:You will receive one randomly chosen night chat message per night. Innocent.

Intelligencer:May track a target and see what they do, or you may watch someone and see who visits them. When you watch or track someone, there is a 33% chance that their alignment will be revealed. In the beginning of the game, one mafia member will be revealed, and this mafia member will know that he has been found out. There is also a 33% chance that you will be revealed to the person you were tracking or watching.

Prophet: Calls a Team(Mafia, Serial killers, town, scum, etc) at the beginning of the game. Wins if called team wins the game. (Still working on this one.)

Werewolf: May visit and kill one person and their visitors every other night.(usually Four) They know who the other werewolves are, and hold meetings every other night too. You may not eat other werewolves except the white werewolf, but you do not know who that is.

White Werewolf(WEREWOLF COMPANION): Visits another werewolf every three nights and kills them. Wins when he is the last survivor of the game. Is a regular werewolf otherwise.

Here are some collected roles:
Doctor: May visit and protect someone from dying each night.

Bodyguard: May visit and kill any visitors of the visited person that night. If any killing roles visit, you die too.

Detective: May visit and learn the role of one person per night. After four findings the detective is revealed to all. wins if lives to see the serial killer get killed.

Cop: May visit one person every night. Receives a report of that one person's alignment in the daytime.

Lazy Cop: May visit someone each night. Receives a report of that person's role the next night. this ability cannot be canceled.

Naive Cop:May visit someone each night. Receives a innocent report on that person that morning. Naive cop cannot be canceled. Innocent.

Trigger-Happy Cop: may visit someone each night. Receives a report on whether they can be killed at night or not. if they can, he will shoot them the next night.

Paranoid Cop: May visit someone each night. Receives a report opposite to the actual alignment. The player is told that he/she is a normal cop. Will kill one visitor of the Paranoid cop or the visited person every night.

Miller: Appears as a mafia role to investigations. Wins if lives to see the end of the game.
Village Idiot: When the Village idiot dies from being lynched, the mafia may kill two people that night.

Little Boy:Mafia. May follow someone each night to receive any PM messages that are given to them. One other person will know who the little boy is, and they will not be mafia.

Lie Investigator: Chooses a post every night from any time. the moderator will tell the Lie Investigator whether this person was telling the truth or not. If the moderator cannot discern whether this was a lie or not, the result will come up as 'No Results'.

Last edited by zabing12 on Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:18 am UTC, edited 16 times in total.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: role ideas.

Postby Vytron » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:09 pm UTC

zabing12 wrote:There is a 25% chance they will catch you and you will be revealed to them.

Hopefully the 1 in 4 chance depends on something other than generating a random number which would take away from strategy?

zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:05 pm UTC

Hmm. Alright, so take it away? I wanted to make him different from a tracker... What should I put in to make different?

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:34 pm UTC

Well, if you can live with 33% instead of 25%, it would work to have one of the mafia players be revealed to Intelligencer for certain from the start of the game, and they both know this. This works because then the Intelligencer wants to find who this person is on the day chatting, while this mafia player wants to play in a way which makes the Intelligencer not target them (this works if he game has 3 mafia players.)

For the rest of town players, just have from 25% to 33% (this would work for any number of town players) of them be revealed for certain to the Intelligencer, and they know it. Now these players have to decide whether to outright claim "I am town and the Intelligencer can check it", and risk being killed by the mafia for being potential confirmed townies, or being a liability to town itself (i.e. if the town player is doctor, then the Intelligencer is able to know they're town and doctor, but this is information that is actually useful to scum as they want the doctor dead.)

Of course then you could have a Miller (appears as mafia) and Godfather (mafia that appears as confirmed town) players specific to the Intelligencer, so it'd be a role that'd be one third cop, one third tracker and one third watcher.

As for the other ones, they sound interesting, good job :)

zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:10 pm UTC

isn't that a little OP? I mean, he has a chance for being a cop, has the abilities of a tracker, and the abilities of a watcher. Whats the handicap?

zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:23 pm UTC

I do need help with the prophet though... any way to make him better?

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:47 pm UTC

zabing12 wrote:isn't that a little OP? I mean, he has a chance for being a cop, has the abilities of a tracker, and the abilities of a watcher. Whats the handicap?

You don't need one, you just need to increase the power that mafia/anti-town roles have to compensate.

The problem of the Intelligencer is that it's tricky to use your ability in a useful way, because otherwise the mafia is just going to kill you. I.e. if all the Intelligencer does is finding that someone was scum D1, then they're killed by N2 and all their other abilities go to waste.

Otherwise, a mafia player can just claim Intelligencer, and now, either players have to listen to them and do as scum says, or the Intelligencer has to counter-claim to get killed.

In general, I believe very powerful roles balance themselves out.

Consider a doctor cop, that can protect people at night and do investigations. It sounds powerful, but only if there's some doctor that can protect them and a cop that can check out if they're town or a mafia pretending to be them. This is role redundancy, so an Intelligencer wouldn't not be as powerful in a setup without a cop, watcher or tracker (i.e. that setup would be better for town if town had a cop, a watcher, and a tracker, so having all those things in a single person is just a liability.)

zabing12 wrote:I do need help with the prophet though... any way to make him better?

I like the role as it is. The whole concept is rewarding a player for predicting who's going to win and help make their prediction come true in the game. It doesn't need more than that. I do think it'd work better if they weren't unable to change sides later on, though.

zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:01 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:
You don't need one, you just need to increase the power that mafia/anti-town roles have to compensate.

The problem of the Intelligencer is that it's tricky to use your ability in a useful way, because otherwise the mafia is just going to kill you. I.e. if all the Intelligencer does is finding that someone was scum D1, then they're killed by N2 and all their other abilities go to waste.

Otherwise, a mafia player can just claim Intelligencer, and now, either players have to listen to them and do as scum says, or the Intelligencer has to counter-claim to get killed.

In general, I believe very powerful roles balance themselves out.

Consider a doctor cop, that can protect people at night and do investigations. It sounds powerful, but only if there's some doctor that can protect them and a cop that can check out if they're town or a mafia pretending to be them. This is role redundancy, so an Intelligencer wouldn't not be as powerful in a setup without a cop, watcher or tracker (i.e. that setup would be better for town if town had a cop, a watcher, and a tracker, so having all those things in a single person is just a liability.)

It seems as if I don't understand my own creations XD. I never enjoyed the double roles, even though they do balance themselves out. It just doesn't seem fair to the doctor or the cop that this person get both of those abilities. I had second thoughts about the thief myself because he can turn super powerful really quickly, taking away the serial killer's killing ability or the doctor's healing ability. I also have some trouble developing his win condition. He can just discard his steal ability in favor of a serial killer/Paranoid cop combo that he can easily win with, but what is is win condition? My thoughts go for the "if the game ends in a draw' win, as it gives him motive to keep stealing abilities until no one can do anything. But then, do win conditions count as abilities? then I will have to specify it in the thief role. What do you think?

zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:05 pm UTC

here we go!
May visit someone every three nights to steal one of their abilities. If they steal a vigilante's ability, they will not kill themselves when they shoot a villager, but only have one bullet. They may only have three abilities at a time, and can discard abilities if necessary. Win conditions count as abilities, and you have to specify that you want to steal a win condition, or you will just steal an ability. You do not start with a win condition.
Tell me what you think.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:16 pm UTC

zabing12 wrote: It just doesn't seem fair to the doctor or the cop that this person get both of those abilities.

What I meant to say about role redundancy is that it's not good. So if in a game you have a player that is both a cop and a doctor, you do NOT have another player that is a cop, and another player that is a doctor. Then this player shows how the role isn't overpowered, as town is better with two different players, each with the roles of a doc and cop, than with a single player with both abilities.

Note that in the Thief aspect, it's generally not very fun to change win conditions in the middle of the game. Save for Cult games, players prefer to be told their win condition from the start and then do their best to fulfill it. This is because if you don't know for certain what win condition you're going to end with, you don't know what things you have to do to win the game, because stuff you're doing now that helps your current win condition may end up hurting the final win condition you end up with.

If you think "a role gets too powerful too quickly", just give them the Serial Killer win condition. They have to kill everyone else to win. This is always difficult no matter your powers because you have all other players joining forces to track you and kill you (town wants to lynch you, mafia wants to night kill you, survivors have to get rid of you to win, cult can't win unless you're dead, etc.) So you can always make the Thief be a Serial Killer.

zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:23 pm UTC

very clever. Yet when he gets a killing ability, there is no point in using the thief ability anymore, and it becomes useless. But, I suppose you have a point, And I will change it.

zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:27 pm UTC

Do you think that a game could be made using these roles? In a closed system, preferably, but semi-open is fine. 7 people, I guess? I want to continue this discussion in pm, if you are alright with that, so that if a game is made no one would stumble across this and be able to cheat XD.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:57 pm UTC

zabing12 wrote:Yet when he gets a killing ability, there is no point in using the thief ability anymore, and it becomes useless.

Not if you make the thief actually steal an ability, so that the victim can no longer use it. So you can claim the Thief has no use stealing the protective ability of a doctor, because if he wants everyone dead, when would he protect someone else? Except, with his ability stolen, the doctor can no longer heal people, which is advantageous.

zabing12 wrote:Do you think that a game could be made using these roles?

In my experience, it's better if you focus your setup in some theme, and single mechanic, instead of having some extravagant setup with as many ideas as possible. Back when I used to mod games, I used to pack as much as I could in them. In Mafia The Prequel I had a backwards setup where town players believed they were mafia and mafia players believed they were town, with players infiltrating factions. In chess mafia I had lots of sides, players that wanted to kill certain players, others that wanted their own faction to survive but didn't know what it was, and the setup was so complex the players resorted to lynching at random. In Back To The Future I had 3 different setups going on simultaneously, so I had all kind of roles and players that were Serial Killer in one timeline, Mafia in another and Cult in another...

Those games ended up being messy and I think it would have been better if I used all those ideas in separate games. I.e. "the game is mostly the same thing except there's this mechanic" instead of "I have all these ideas and you're going to get them all in a single game".

So I suggest you get 1 or two of your ideas into a game, and build the setup around them, so it looks very familiar to players involved, except for the new ideas, and the rest of the ideas can be saved for later games.

There are several players around here that are looking mostly for a "vanilla setup with chocolate chips" as opposed to "experimental deluxe dessert that mixes several sweet flavors". I'll probably play in your game, but I'm sure if you ask around for help someone else will be willing to help you out with the setup by Private Message.

zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:26 pm UTC

Thanks for the help, I think I found someone! :mrgreen:

zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:21 am UTC

A new Idea popped up:

Last edited by zabing12 on Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:28 am UTC

Also, only one werewolf may kill per night.

zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:49 am UTC

Delete Please.
Last edited by zabing12 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:25 am UTC

Alright, I got some new roles:
President: if two other people vote to lynch the same person as he voted, that person is immediately killed. if that person was an innocent, the president is randomly given out to another player. The last president will regain his last role, but IS NOT his previous role until he passes on the role.

Old Maid: Every night, the old maid may switch roles with another player. Old Maid cannot win.

Actor: Can only cast the final vote, when EVERYONE votes, on a player.

Hated: requires one less vote to lynch. Wins when they are killed by anything that is not a lynch.

Dreamer:Will have a dream each night. The dream will consist of three people, at least one of which is mafia. The dream will give VERY subtle hints about who is the mafia.

Virgin:If converted by cult, they will die and two people will be converted to cult. If lynched, mafia cannot kill the next night. Village sided.

Gallis: Dies with the minority vote alongside the lynched. wins with village.
Tell me what you think.
Last edited by zabing12 on Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:17 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

New User

Postby New User » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:46 pm UTC

These are interesting idea. A lot of these already exist under different names in this community. Regarding the Old Maid role, I would argue that it's no fun to play as a role that cannot win.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:52 pm UTC

I think the Old Maid would work as a survivor.

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:12 pm UTC

You switch roles. Everything, alignment included. Your target then can't win, so they have to switch with someone else. It's like in the card game, old maid.

Problem is, it kinda breaks the game. If the Old Maid targets a scum player, the scum player becomes the Old Maid. Then they target a townie and become town with full knowledge of the scum team (other than the original Old Maid, I guess).

I've seen a Survivor role with an ability called Changeling - the ability to switch abilities with another player (so the other player becomes the Changeling). It was cool.

I kinda like the Dreamer. A pretty cool variation on a cop, though I think if I ever used it I would make it "The dream will consist of three people, at least one of which is mafia" since clearing two townies on a successful lynch is very powerful.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:38 am UTC

]For the Dreamer, I'll change that, it's a good idea.

For the Old Maid, I don't see how you could stop that kind of thing from happening, I guess you would have to make a game that has anonymous mafia talks or something. I make the roles, I don't figure out how they can be nerfed through rules.

zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:40 am UTC

Delete please.
Last edited by zabing12 on Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:17 pm UTC

zabing12 wrote:]For the Old Maid, I don't see how you could stop that kind of thing from happening, I guess you would have to make a game that has anonymous mafia talks or something. I make the roles, I don't figure out how they can be nerfed through rules.

If you really wanted to make it work without that downside to game design, you could make it a game without a mafia team. Two or three serial killers or something, so no one knows anything about anyone else. Even a mafia team of two would be okay since the most you could get out of it would be one sure lynch - only the partner of the new Old Maid since the old Old Maid wouldn't be known. That's similar to a successful cop-shot, so shouldn't be too broken. A mafia team without prior knowledge of who their partners are (just how many there are) can also be fun since the mafia then need to read players, same as the town. Makes the game less about interactions though, which could throw the town reads for a loop.

zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:43 pm UTC

What do you mean it throws a loop? I don't see how it does. There would still be a day phase that interactions take place. The only place that someone would limit the interactions is during the night, and even then you would tell them your names or something.

Plus, for the cop thing, not everyone is going to believe the person who just turned, or if he has the right names. A mafia member could just state that they were the mafia--->oldmaid---->villager and that they have these names as mafia: Villager I, Villager II, and Villager III. a clever mafia member could just relay a fake name to his mafia members so that they rat out those people instead.

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:08 pm UTC

One of the best way to catch scum is through interactions. Once you catch one scum, looking at how they treated the other players (and how the other players treated them) makes the game a lot easier to read. Having a scum team who didn't know each other would make those interactions more or less useless.

zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:25 am UTC

I think the idea of the serial killer thing is cool, but won't it be a bit chaotic?
Last edited by zabing12 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:13 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:25 am UTC

Diplomat: May challenge a player thrice per game. Now only the diplomat and the challenged player may be voted on. The other players DO NOT know who the diplomat is.

Suspicious: Knows how many scum voted on the lynched person the day before.

Pseudojester: When lynched, does not die and becomes the role of the last person who voted to lynch them.

Reporter: Chooses a person in the day. All PMs given to that person is also given to the reporter.

White Knight: On night 3, 4 and 5, the White Knight may kill one person of the host's discretion every night. The Host will choose the losing faction. Then they will give a list of people they can kill to the White Knight. The white night may kill one person on that list. The list can change if the tables turn on the winning faction.

sibyl:May give the role of one person to another every night.

zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:30 am UTC

I was thinking of moving the thief to the mafia faction.. thoughts?

zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:54 am UTC

(Insert long list of roles here)
Last edited by zabing12 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:54 am UTC

I've also got the pms for each role XD.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:02 pm UTC

That game might be a bit large
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:42 pm UTC

Diemo wrote:That game might be a bit large

Mega's vanilla game didn't have that many people in it.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:15 pm UTC

It's possible, he just needs to do like Thingyman and go around all of the internet gathering players from all mafia communities. But instead of asking them to send their best player, you ask them to send as many as possible.

zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:29 pm UTC

hah, yea.
Last edited by zabing12 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:49 am UTC

What do you think about the white knight? I put some thought into him and I think it's a fun idea.

New User

Postby New User » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:04 am UTC

If the White Knight can only kill someone on the losing faction, then if the White Knight is in the losing faction, they will choose not to do it. If the White Knight is on the winning faction, it will serve to end the game sooner (because the losing faction will then be losing by an even greater margin). If the purpose is to end the game sooner, then I suppose it works. If the purpose is just greater fun, it would probably only work in a game with many players. Say, fifteen or more players, depending on how many players have the ability to kill. I don't think we've had games with that many players here in a while.

Also, keep this in mind. Any power role can work as long as the game is balanced. By "balanced" I would say that it must be possible for any team to win, and the game should be expected to last at least until N3 (the most fun games I've played in lasted longer than that). Too many night kills can be bad, because it's usually not fun to sign up for a game and look forward to the game's start, and then be killed early in the game.

Most of these roles you have proposed here seem like they could fit well into a balanced game, and many of them are already known here by other names.
Last edited by New User on Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:13 am UTC

Could you give examples?

New User

Postby New User » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:54 am UTC

Examples of roles I've heard by other names? I have only played mafia here at xkcd so I don't know how these terms are used anywhere else, but this is how I usually see them used here. I think most of these terms originate from the mafiascum wiki but probably have been adapted by the community here.

Vigilante: usually when I this, it just means a town player who has the ability to kill. If they only have one bullet or three bullets or whatever, it's usually called 1-shot vigilante (or 3-shot or whatever x-shot). I don't think I've seen the idea that the vigilante dies if they kill an innocent.

Lie investigator: I've seen it called Lie Detector. I don't think it's a popular role here. If players suspect there is a lie detector in a game, they'll try to get each player to state "I am town" or something easily detectable, and town players of course will gladly do it but it's lame for the scum team. And it's lame for everyone to state that anyway.

Miller: I have seen this as a town (innocent) player who shows up as non-town (guilty) in an investigation. Any player who wins if they survive until the end is called Survivor and it's considered an alignment rather than a role. Survivor is usually considered non-town and returns "guilty" on an investigation anyway, so wouldn't need to be a miller. I have also seen a town role we usually call Death Miller, which means after the Death Miller is killed, it will be revealed to everyone that they were mafia (but they were really town).

Manipulator: I have seen this role called Lightning Rod, which is itself a specialized version of a Redirector (redirects the target's action to a target of the Redirector's choice). Another similar role is called Bus Driver (picks two targets and swaps their intended targets).

Marshall: I've seen this but can't remember the role name.

Barman: I've seen it called Roleblocker.

Cop: If a cop gets a true guilty/innocent result, it's called Cop or Sane Cop. If a cop gets the opposite result (a guilty result on an innocent target or innocent result on a guilty target), it's called Insane Cop. If a cop gets only innocent result, it's called Naive Cop, and a cop who only gets a guilty result is called Paranoid Cop.

Also, several of your role descriptions include an alignment, like village or mafia. But I've seen these roles in varied alignments. For example, a roleblocker could be useful to the town or to the mafia.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to shoot down your creativity. Several of these roles are very interesting and are the kinds of things we see in some really fun games. All I was trying to say was, if you or anyone else is planning on using any of these roles to moderate a game, just keep game balance in mind.

Also, in the past there has been some backlash from a player who feels cheated by the game setup, for example if they were told they are a cop but don't find out they are an Insane Cop until too late. Of course, telling a cop they are Insane at the beginning of the game defeats the purpose of insanity. So usually, there will be a rule stated by the moderator at the beginning of the game that says "all roles are guaranteed to be sane" or "roles are not guaranteed to be sane" or some such.

zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:10 am UTC

I don't know were you've seen the marshall since I made him up. Some of these roles are inspired by mafiascum, but I change them so that they are original :D .

Return to “Mafia”