The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

bessie

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby bessie » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:45 am UTC

Werewolf of Wall Street
Spoiler:
Madge wrote:I've been knee deep in a job application this weekend, and I'm about to go shopping to escape the worst of the midday heat (ALSO ALMOND MILK IS HALF PRICE), so I think I'll be calling the night on or after the deadline because I haven't had much of a chance to write flavour.
Well HELL YES cuz you know ALMOND MILK IS EXPENSIVE.

You're not getting out of traffic engineering are you? :( But, but, ... I am totally fascinated by traffic engineering.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:59 am UTC

Werewolf of Wall Street @bessie
Spoiler:
I'm applying for a job doing project and contract management for big road and or bridge projects ($10 million plus), so don't worry, I'm staying in the same profession for the time being !

This is the job if you are curious
https://www.seek.com.au/job/34755318

I am doing a degree in nutrition and considering pursuing a career in dietetics, but I think a lot of my dissatisfaction is with my new boss, so I am really hoping that I can get this job. Otherwise I will keep applying for similar jobs in the same organisation. I am six months away from my long service leave, which is three months of paid leave, so I am staying in the organisation until then at least...
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:18 am UTC

Wolf
Spoiler:
Or, you know, I could just win after D1 :mrgreen:

I guess that means it's jimbob and somitomi/ConMan as scum.

Best of luck Town. I am still rooting for you :)

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:20 am UTC

Werewolf @LaserGuy

Spoiler:
Congrats! I am so glad that someone won with that role. I dug it up from the mafiascum wiki's list of independents and was like "hey Sabrar can we use this?" and he liked it so there it was.

Go you!!!!! I was so very excited when I saw scum submit you as their kill target.
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:16 am UTC

Werewolf of Wall Street
Spoiler:
Oh, no, Madge, are you sure you want to go in to project management? :shock:

bessie wrote:
Madge wrote: Note that role names and alignments will be revealed but not flavour or power text.
I hope this doesn't mean that there will be absolutely no power info in the flip or in the role name at least.
:evil:

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:27 am UTC

bessie wrote:Werewolf of Wall Street
Spoiler:
Oh, no, Madge, are you sure you want to go in to project management? :shock:

bessie wrote:
Madge wrote: Note that role names and alignments will be revealed but not flavour or power text.
I hope this doesn't mean that there will be absolutely no power info in the flip or in the role name at least.
:evil:

Wows, Bessie may read
Spoiler:
I am a project manager already. It's great, I get to boss people around :twisted:

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:15 am UTC

Werewolf of Wall Street @Madge
Spoiler:
Well good luck and I hope you get the job! :D

TBH project management is something I don’t enjoy, and I have picked up too many of those duties as of late because the guy doing our project management is an idiot and can’t plan his way out of a box. That’s one reason I’m trying to shift over to document control.

Ok, done, we shouldn’t be spoiling this anyway, everyone is going to think we are talking about the game. :P

wam

Postby wam » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:49 pm UTC

Werewolf

Spoiler:
so I guessed the nk target right!
Come join us playing mafia signup here

wam

Postby wam » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:03 pm UTC

Werewolf

Spoiler:
I know it's a Sunday but where is everyone!!

wam

Postby wam » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:49 pm UTC

Werewolf

Spoiler:
Bessie is a tracker is my guess and tracked me to laserguy. Which is odd as I would have thought that would be claimed. Can you have a scum tracker???

wam

Postby wam » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:11 pm UTC

Werewolf

Spoiler:
unless something really funky is going on we have caught scum. Still not worked out the partner.

I was worried scum would have a stealth kill and maven was another town power role but the vt claim has removed that doubt.

Well either town lynch maven today and we have two lunches to find scum or they lynch me and lynch maven for a lylo day 4

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:07 pm UTC

Werewolf

Spoiler:
So, wam's result is accurate, but what jimbob didn't account for in his post is the possibility of a framer being in the game - which there is, and the framer has fucked with BESSIE's result... to frame wam!

I've just realised/thought that having a framer could potentially be bastard? I hope nobody is mad about that if people think it is. Does having a framer mean the statement "the mods won't lie" is a lie?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:13 pm UTC

Werewolf (@Madge)
Spoiler:
It isn't anymore bastard than Godfather, when mod tells the Cop that the investigated player is Town. Don't worry about it, it isn't the mod lying, it's a role in the game that messes with the results of investigative abilities.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:16 pm UTC

Werewolf

Spoiler:
Good point! It's really a weaker godfather. I'm just worried because it's a Black Swan - people don't expect it.

But I guess they gotta learn to expect the unexpected, and anyway, DJ's halloween game always had unusual roles so we're really just doing an homage :lol:

wam

Postby wam » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:55 pm UTC

Werewolf

Spoiler:
wth is going on. As far as I know I only made one stop...

Also I can self target I am contemplating self targeting tonight and hoping there's a doc to protect me. If I can start d3 with two names.one doc one scum we have this in the bag. Won't work but I can hope.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:41 am UTC

Wolf
Spoiler:
I think wam might survive the day. Maven is looking really bad. jimbob is the swing vote it looks like.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:05 am UTC

Werewolf (@LaserGuy)
Spoiler:
I disagree, Maven's defense makes perfect sense (but I might be totally biased here as that is one of the lines I myself would have used in his stead).

wam

Postby wam » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:11 am UTC

Werewolf

Spoiler:
spoilers are going to be interesting working out what the he'll is going on.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:36 am UTC

Werewolf

Spoiler:
It took me a few moments to decide whether all power roles were sane given the framer existing.

I looked at this definition of sanity: https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Sanities

By that definition, the watcher and tracker are sane.

Also, in a game with a godfather, I'd call the cop sane.

Just realised I maybe should have answered with "no comment", but I think non-sane roles without warning is bastard.

I feel really sorry for poor wam. The framer is a real tricky wrinkle to have to contend with, especially so well stacked against you.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:59 am UTC

Werewolf (@Madge)
Spoiler:
I think 'No comment' would have been a better answer. Players should be allowed to freely speculate on the insanity of the roles without mod-confirmation. The 'Bastardry: Very low' stipulation should already be enough to exclude those possibilities anyway.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:19 pm UTC

Werewolf

Spoiler:
Yeah, you're right, I should have thought about it more before I answered.

"If you're not answering half the questions with no comment you're modding wrong" should be my new motto... ("moddo"??? I crack myself up)

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:24 pm UTC

Werewolf
Spoiler:
I've been avoiding spoilers ever since that blunder (sorry ConMan for leaving you with that trainwreck) so that I could come up with my own impressions. Kind of practice if you will.
Anyway I thought I'd write down my impressions of the current sitch somewhere. Wam claims Maven targeted LaserGuy, Maven claimed VT and bessie claims wam targeted LaserGuy&Maven). There are two options I see straight away:
1) Scum!Maven claimed VT, because any town PR targeting LaserGuy would have claimed at the first oportunity to avoid accusations. In that case bessie's claim makes sense only if they're Maven's buddy.
2) Scum!wam claimed watcher to avert suspicion in case some investigative PR caught him (like bessie did).
I see the second option to be more likely, since the first doesn't get scum anywhere, wam flips town revealing them and ending the game. There might be some complicated bus options, but to me it seems like wam is more suspicious now.
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

wam

Postby wam » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:58 pm UTC

werewolf

Spoiler:
This is an extract from the ridiculously long post I am currently writing

I doubt Bessie made it completely up, what I can see as a possible scenario is Scum!Tracker!Bessie tracking me, adding in an additional target. Then once I flip town and Maven is lynched the next day bessie has two nights to get another tracker claim and therefore prove she is a tracker and thereby winning at LYLO.

I am biased as this is exactly the sort of move I would love to pull as scum. If it is being pulled by Scum!Bessier I would be very impressed and a bit sorry to ruin!

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:28 pm UTC

Werewolf
Spoiler:
And jimbob continues to guess correctly the roles based on little info. I'm seriously impressed.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:37 am UTC

Werewolf

Spoiler:
Interested why Maven falseclaimed vampire tech support guy. Changeling was meant to be a good fakeclaim because it's an actual supernatural beastie and there aren't any others: but maybe he thought it would be a gamble since changelings are obscure? There are already two town vampires, but he doesn't know that.

He is tech support guy so I'm glad that part of the fake claim was useful!

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:40 am UTC

WoWS

Spoiler:
Well, Hari has gotten the right role name for me, and putting that together with bessie's idea everyone has a solid idea as to what happened during N1, except of course for who scum #2 is :twisted: . She also confirmed in that post that my power does work as I understood it when I told Maven about it in a PM; I target player A with name B, then when player C targets player A, they get player B. Since Maven is already burnt flesh, my next concern is to figure out who to kill N2 and what to do with my framing power.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:45 pm UTC

werewolf

Spoiler:
Decision point, if we lynch maven today and they turn up town due to some weird game mechanic, I will be lynched tomorrow and town lose. I think its a low risk but its there.

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:28 pm UTC

Wolf

Spoiler:
this is fascinating to follow along

I admit I'd lumped mafia in with the rest of forum games

Actually that doesn't need a spoiler
He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:38 pm UTC

@Liri: Glad you're enjoying watching it! I was never much for forum games but I got into mafia on epicmafia about 5 years ago and then transitioned over to here (I used to lurk the logic puzzles board). If you ever feel like playing you're more than welcome to join in, I think Maven will be hosting a Secret Santa game when Halloween is over.

(Traditionally in Secret Santa games, everyone submits a role and then the mod changes them around a little to balance them and randomly distributes them to everyone.)

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:50 pm UTC

Madge wrote:@Liri: Glad you're enjoying watching it! I was never much for forum games but I got into mafia on epicmafia about 5 years ago and then transitioned over to here (I used to lurk the logic puzzles board). If you ever feel like playing you're more than welcome to join in, I think Maven will be hosting a Secret Santa game when Halloween is over.

(Traditionally in Secret Santa games, everyone submits a role and then the mod changes them around a little to balance them and randomly distributes them to everyone.)

I maven wants to PM lazerguy, me and him are co-modding one! Right now we’re working out flavor!
Peaceful Whale wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:Spell it out for me.
I-T

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:37 pm UTC

Ahhh I got mixed up! Sorry maaven and laser guy

wam

Postby wam » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:49 pm UTC

werewolf

Spoiler:
Come on town please don't lynch the watcher! But part of me is like at least that way I can find out from the spoilers what the hell is going on.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:55 pm UTC

wam wrote:werewolf

Spoiler:
Come on town please don't lynch the watcher! But part of me is like at least that way I can find out from the spoilers what the hell is going on.

Spoiler:
[quote="Madge"]

@Madge
Can wam read spoilers?
Or does he mean when he dies he can read spoilers.
Peaceful Whale wrote:
I-T

wam

Postby wam » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:05 pm UTC

Can I read that?

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:10 pm UTC

Yes.
Peaceful Whale wrote:
I-T

wam

Postby wam » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:17 pm UTC

Werewolf @peaceful whale

Spoiler:
I meant when I die I can read spoilers.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:05 pm UTC

Oh, ok.
Peaceful Whale wrote:
I-T

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:27 pm UTC

Werewolf
Spoiler:
Just so we're perfectly clear, I have no idea what I'm doing.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:38 am UTC

Sign up for Secret Santa 2017, "Carol of the Elves" are up. Please sign up and PM Peaceful Whale and I a role that you would like to see in the game.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:45 am UTC

oh i am sooo excited i will have to think of a role to submit!!!!!

one clarification: you say roles have to be playable by any faction. so could you submit a cop or doctor with the understanding that you would twerk it to suit as a scum role? (e.g. you could make changes to the roles for us and decide that scum cop = role cop; scum doctor = protects scum from SK or vig, or completely rework to say poisoner)?

Or should we include options to make them work for town or scum? (e.g. submitting a doc/poisoner role, where the person with the role gets to decide whether to protect or poison on a given night; submitting an investigator that can either cop someone or determine whether they were able to be killed that night)

Return to “Mafia”