Electrical Engineering Vs. Engineering Physics

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

blueeyedlion

Electrical Engineering Vs. Engineering Physics

Postby blueeyedlion » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:09 pm UTC

I am thinking about which major I want to pick. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. This is for the University of British Columbia in Canada if anyone knows anything specific.

LikwidCirkel

Re: Electrical Engineering Vs. Engineering Physics

Postby LikwidCirkel » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:32 pm UTC

I attended both U of Alberta and Carleton University, and knew a number of students in both areas.

Accredited engineering programs are pretty similar across the board in Canada though, so this should still be relevant.

It all depends on what your strengths and interests are.

Eng Phys at U of A take honours physics classes. The difference between honours physics and regular physics is that that regular physics focuses on applying learned principles to solve physics problems and
honours physics focused on understanding the basic principles.

EE students would take physics exams that ask them to apply textbook material to solve problems.
Eng Phys students would take physics exams which would ask questions like "derive the formula for foo", or "write a short essay explaining bar theory". A EE student would probably never encounter such questions.

Eng Phys grads often end up working in research labs involving extremely bleeding-edge nanotech/mems devices (especially in Edmonton, with its massive nanotech scene). EE students work with circuits and generally apply pre-known electrical principles, doing what one would expect EEs to do. They're more likely to have some computing overlap too, and EE/Comp blurred fields like FPGA design.
EE is less research-oriented and much more applied than Eng Phys, although of course there is always some overlap.

I was faced with a similar decision years ago, but the first year at U of A is common for all engineering disciplines, which made the decision easier. I originally wanted to take Eng Phys, mostly for egotistical reasons, because at U of A it is no doubt the most challenging engineering field. I ended up taking computer engineering because of what my real strengths were and it seemed much more practical, which the common first year helped me realize.

blueeyedlion

Re: Electrical Engineering Vs. Engineering Physics

Postby blueeyedlion » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:55 pm UTC

UBC has a common first year too. I suppose I should see how I do in that before I make a real decision. Thanks for the advice.

Return to “School”