Pell Grants

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

kiklion

Pell Grants

Postby kiklion » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:18 pm UTC

My fiancee receives a large pell grant, she currently lives at home with her parents and they have no income. I make take home, after automatic payments, $3,000 a month. If we were married she would get reduced pell grant. She was already awarded the grant for this upcoming year, if we got married in november, would we need to give back the fall amount? Would the spring amount be rescinded? She will ask her financial aid advisor tomorrow but I think its a unique enough situation she may not have seen it before.

Dopefish

Re: Pell Grants

Postby Dopefish » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:56 am UTC

This seems like the sort of thing that would be in the fine print somewhere, probably saying either something along the lines of "blah blah blah as determined at the time of awarding." which is what I would guess (meaning you wouldn't need to give anything back), or "If eligibility changes...<proper procedure here>".

Either way, while I don't know the answer, I strongly suspect it's something that has a documented answer that the aid advisor would either know about, or be able to find without too much trouble.

Puppyclaws

Postby Puppyclaws » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:57 pm UTC

If you do not say anything, they are extremely unlikely to check up on the matter if aid has already been decided/awarded and the school has not requested additional information by now. They never (in my nearly 10 years of post-secondary schooling at least) request new information in the spring. HOWEVER, if you feel uncomfortable going against the rules... I am pretty certain that the policy everywhere is that if your situation changes, you are supposed to inform the school. It is likely (but not certain) that her aid would be reduced. It sounds like a semi-typical situation, I doubt the aid counselor wouldn't know.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:37 pm UTC

Don't worry, it's not a unique situation or at all difficult to deal with. The FAO should have already told your fiancee that she does not need to (and does not, in fact, even have the option to) correct her FAFSA to reflect her updated marital status.

If you've read conflicting information on various websites, the only site you should trust is the official site at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov. The specific answer you were looking for in this case was at:
http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/fotw1213/help/fahelp51.htm.

From what I remember, the only time you can use Corrections to change something on your FAFSA that was correct on the date you filed is when you legally change your name or you get a new social security number, and in those cases what you used to have to do was register a new account and PIN. In general, the FAFSA doesn't care what happens to you this year, only what happened to you last year. Whatever happens this year will end up on next year's FAFSA (if you file again).

The school might have a different policy regarding any additional aid it gives out, but the Pell Grant is federal so no worries there.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Return to “School”