Double majoring in Math and Comp Sci?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

e^(ipi)+1=0

Double majoring in Math and Comp Sci?

Postby e^(ipi)+1=0 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:59 pm UTC

So I am a second year undergraduate and I am currently a mathematics major. I know that I really like mathematics and that I am nearly sure that I want to get a degree in mathematics. I have also start taking a few computer science courses, well just Java, and I also enjoy it albeit not as much as mathematics.

I was working out my schedule the other day and realized that I could do a double major in mathematics and computer science although it will prevent me from taking some extra mathematics electives and it will make my schedule a bit cramped during certain semesters but I should be able to handle it.

Anyways I was just curious on what are your thoughts on going for a double major in mathematics and computer science. Is it worth the extra coursework, should I just do a computer science minor instead and take more mathematics electives? Any general advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Snark

Re: Double majoring in Math and Comp Sci?

Postby Snark » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:01 pm UTC

What are your career goals? Will this increase the number of semesters you stay in college before graduating? In general, I'd say more skills is always better. And comp sci is probably more practical than extra math electives (though math is indeed awesome).
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Re: Double majoring in Math and Comp Sci?

Postby ahammel » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:16 pm UTC

I've heard it said that formal verification is a pretty highly sought-after skill at the moment. (Source: a comp-sci prof complaining about how his grad students keep failing to come back from their well-paid internships in the States). Don't take my word for it, but it might be worth looking into as a math ∩ comp sci career.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Return to “School”