Choice of Major Problem

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

cesium14

Choice of Major Problem

Postby cesium14 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:29 pm UTC

i'm entering college, but i find it hard to choose between the majors. can anybody familiar with these majors give me some quick information about them? I can choose among Materials Science And Engineering, Life Sciences, Electronic Engineering, Computer Science And Technology, and Thermal Engineering(which is said to be dedicated to finding a better way of burning coal)

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Re: Choice of Major Problem

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:51 am UTC

Well, there's a ton to be said about those fields, but in short...

Accreditation is important in engineering majors. Double-check whether each of the engineering majors are ABET accredited.

In response to your comment about thermal engineering, majors are often described in stereotypical ways. My major, civil engineering, is often said to be all about building bridges, dams and sewers. In reality, the field is humongous. Many people work in the field doing things related to bridges, dams and sewers but many work in the field doing things not related to any of those.

Materials science and engineering is a field that I think is incredibly cool and relevant. You learn about the microscopic structure of things, and not necessarily just solids. It's applicable to just about anything that is cool or mundane, high-tech or low-tech. The movement toward sustainability in our society is doing a lot to boost demand for new materials and new ways to use old materials. Space flight moving into the private sector could do the same in the near future.

When do you need to choose or declare your major?
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

cesium14

Re: Choice of Major Problem

Postby cesium14 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:37 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Well, there's a ton to be said about those fields, but in short...

Accreditation is important in engineering majors. Double-check whether each of the engineering majors are ABET accredited.

In response to your comment about thermal engineering, majors are often described in stereotypical ways. My major, civil engineering, is often said to be all about building bridges, dams and sewers. In reality, the field is humongous. Many people work in the field doing things related to bridges, dams and sewers but many work in the field doing things not related to any of those.

Materials science and engineering is a field that I think is incredibly cool and relevant. You learn about the microscopic structure of things, and not necessarily just solids. It's applicable to just about anything that is cool or mundane, high-tech or low-tech. The movement toward sustainability in our society is doing a lot to boost demand for new materials and new ways to use old materials. Space flight moving into the private sector could do the same in the near future.

When do you need to choose or declare your major?

Thanks so much for your information, I've already chosen Materials science and engineering. I hope it's as cool as I expected. THANKS again.

Return to “School”