My office door is SO much more interesting now.

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

MamaBee

My office door is SO much more interesting now.

Postby MamaBee » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:52 am UTC

I am fully aware that Randall Munroe cannot possibly read every post on this forum, but I still had to toss this thank-you out into the void. I was recently hired to fill in for a much-loved piano professor for a semester while she was on sabbatical. She is sophisticated and soft-spoken, where I am enthusiastic and inclined to think WAY outside the box in startlingly effective (or sometimes just startling) ways. I realized early on that I could never be anything like her, so I set out to make the difference obvious from the moment I set foot in my temporary office at the university.

I started out by covering my office door with several music-themed xkcd cartoons, and yes, I did go through all 900+ of them one by one. (It was a good excuse to read the whole thing again.) They have gotten many comments, and immediately established my geek cred with like-minded students.

Today's hover text, about doing things the right way in the present, is going up as this week's quote of the week. Thank you, Mr. Munroe, for making an awful lot of people laugh on their way past my door, including me.

Sincerely,
Bee

PerchloricAcid

Re: My office door is SO much more interesting now.

Postby PerchloricAcid » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:02 pm UTC

Whoa, this is totally cool. :D

I thought about printing certain web-comics I really like (xkcd among them) and leaving them anonymously at random places so people would laugh, or at least stop and smile for a moment :)

merrak

Postby merrak » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:54 am UTC

I always kept a printed copy of the one about math teachers by my office doors ( http://xkcd.com/263/ ). Sadly I had to throw it out because it had followed me for so long it had become unreadable. I suppose I could always make a new one - but it wouldn't have been on as many adventures.
`/\=======/\"-

Pingouin7

Postby Pingouin7 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:25 pm UTC

PerchloricAcid wrote:I thought about printing certain web-comics I really like (xkcd among them) and leaving them anonymously at random places so people would laugh, or at least stop and smile for a moment :)

This would be even cooler.
Dason wrote:
Kewangji wrote:I confess I am actually scared of peanuts, and tend to avoid them, given how lethal they are to some people.

I'm not. I do my part in the fight against peanuts by destroying them with my powerful teeth. Take that peanut! How does being digested feel!?

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:07 am UTC

I haven't actually done anything about that yet, but still plan to do so.

danial3262

Postby danial3262 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:22 am UTC

So why are you waiting for, implement your plan as fast as you can and make people smile.

Return to “School”