Calculator to computer display?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

khanh93

Calculator to computer display?

Postby khanh93 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:26 pm UTC

I'm going to start a series of presentations on how to use the TI-89 to my AP Calculus class on Tuesday. I've got the content of my lessons planned out, but I want a way to show the actual calculator display to the class. I know software exists to stream the display to the computer, but my limited google-fu has only netted me the official TI-Connect software, which doesn't have that capability as far as I can tell. Does anybody here know of/have experience with the software that I am looking for?

I'm thinking an emulator would be a good backup plan. Do the forumgoers agree?

Heady

Re: Calculator to computer display?

Postby Heady » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:34 pm UTC

What I did with my TI-84 was that I connected it to TI Connect, selected the screen capture option, and selected the auto refresh option. Resize the screen as needed, et voilà! The picture of the screen on your computer updates as you use the calculator.

Hope that helped!

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:26 am UTC

My high school calculus teacher had a tool that plugged a TI into a TV. Possibly this.

khanh93

Postby khanh93 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:25 am UTC

Thank you Heady! TI-Connect didn't register my calculator when I first installed it, but that's a problem I'll have to solve for myself.

Nyeguy, that's a nifty device, but doesn't help me.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:53 pm UTC

My teachers would use a document camera, so if the classroom you're using has one, that's just another option.

khanh93

Postby khanh93 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:24 pm UTC

I've seen those used before, kestrel, but all i have is a computer connected to a projector.

I've got the TI-Connect software up, but I'm not seeing any auto refresh option. The help documents offered no insight. Do you remember how to activate this? I'm currently working on a series of still capture I can use to teach the lesson, but a live feed is still a nice option to have.

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:37 pm UTC

my teacher had something that displayed the screen of the calculator in such a way that is could be used with an overhead, though i imagine that it may be rare and/or pricy.

Solt

Postby Solt » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:04 pm UTC

khanh93 wrote:I'm thinking an emulator would be a good backup plan. Do the forumgoers agree?

Wouldn't the emulator actually be a better option so you can show everyone which buttons to press?
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

khanh93

Postby khanh93 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:32 am UTC

Solt wrote:
khanh93 wrote:I'm thinking an emulator would be a good backup plan. Do the forumgoers agree?

Wouldn't the emulator actually be a better option so you can show everyone which buttons to press?

I thought so too, but the emulator was pretty crappy. It didn't have the whole OS, which meant that I couldn't hit my first point of interest. The button graphics were really poor quality, so it wouldn't have helped much for the class to see. I ended up pasting calculator screenshots onto a picture of the calculator. The finished presentation, if anybody wants to see.

Return to “School”