Your Schedule

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

nyeguy

Re: Your Schedule

Postby nyeguy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:16 pm UTC

I'm an ECE student at Carnegie Mellon. For the upcoming semester, I'm mostly just doing prereqs and other courses required by my major.

Concepts of Mathematics
Engineering the Materials of the Future (aka Intro to Mat Sci)
Interpretation and Argument (A fun little debate/writing English course; my section is about street art!)
Principles of Imperative Computing
Physics of Musical Sound (my whim)

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:58 am UTC

Let's see.
"North" American Authors: It's about Margaret Atwood
Critical Theory
American Authors in Italy

Oh, and teaching two more sections of Writing I.

jetforcegeminix

Postby jetforcegeminix » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:01 pm UTC

4th year Applied Math/Econ double major @ UC Berkeley

IEOR 221: Intro to Financial Engineering (Graduate level)
Math 128a: Numerical Analysis
Math C103: Mathematical Economics
Math 185: Complex Analysis

GenovaHeightsGhost

Postby GenovaHeightsGhost » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:09 pm UTC

Second Semester Sophomore Schedule:

Honors Pre-Calculus
Chinese II
(Interlude of Lunch)
Honors English II
Honors Chemistry
Honors Civics & Economics (which I'm taking online/at home. Gotta love block scheduling... >.>)
Princess Marzipan wrote:You have chosen WRONG.

*presses button*

Enjoy the spiked snake pit!

rigwarl wrote:
Glmclain wrote: I'm pretty liberal, and just screw everything.

Those damn liberals and their crazy sexual morals.

freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

Postby freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:27 pm UTC

nyeguy wrote:I'm an ECE student at Carnegie Mellon. For the upcoming semester, I'm mostly just doing prereqs and other courses required by my major.

Hey I'm a MechE Student at CMU!
I'm taking:
Dynamic Systems and Control
Stress Analysis
Thermal Fluids
Intro to Computer Music
Child Developement

no fun =[

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:31 am UTC

Freshman at a small liberal arts college with a good physics program (actually I'm a senior in HS, but only technically):

Classical Physics 2 + Lab
Applied Math Methods for Physics Majors
Linear Algebra
Theory of Complex Variables
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

catdaddy

Postby catdaddy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:56 am UTC

Junior in high school. for this semester,
AP world history
AP calc bc
jazz band
journalism
AP english language and composition
AP chemistry
AP chemistry

i don't have any complaints. chem and calc are pretty awesome, and english is another surprise favorite. world history is the worst

nehpest

Postby nehpest » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:30 am UTC

I'm pretty stoked about my schedule, what with it being full of interesting and major/minor-relevant classes.

Winter Quarter 2011
MAT 317 - Laplace Transforms and Fourier Series. An applied math class that I suspect will be useful as an engineer; as a bonus, it count towards my math minor. We're using Chapters 6 and 11 of Kreyszig's Advanced Engineering Mathematics, 9th ed.

MAT 310 - Basic Set Theory and Logic. While it's rehashing material I've covered in like three other courses, it's also covering things that will enable me to take analysis in the future. Huzzah! We're using Chartrand's Mathematical Proofs: A Transition to Advanced Mathematics, 2nd ed.

MTE 208 - Introduction to Electronic Materials and Properties. We're covering crystal structures, ceramics, IC processes, diffusion, and of course semiconductors. We're using selections from Callister's Materials Science and Engineering: An Introduction, 6th ed.

ECE 204 - Introduction to Combinational Logic. This is covering a similar set of material as the first portion of the set theory course; we're learning the ins and outs of digital logic, starting at the gate level and building our way up. The next course (205) covers "sequential logic," which is apparently their way of saying we're going to take the simple devices we create in 204 and string them together to eventually build a useful device. No text is assigned, sweet.
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

tanderson

Postby tanderson » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:15 pm UTC

Hey, first post here. Long time reader, but just getting involved.

I'm a first time freshman at New Jersey Institute of Technology majoring in Applied Math with a likely minor in computer science. My courses:

Physics 2&Lab - Honors (electricity and magnetism)
Calculus II -- Honors
Environmental Policy Studies -- Honors (Sustainability of modern development mostly)
History, 20th century world -- Honors
Computer Science II in Java -- Honors (Data Structures and Algorithms)

So far they've been pretty interesting, but the Environmental Policy professor is a little unforgiving of alternate opinions, thinking there is only one right answer.

freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

Postby freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:21 am UTC

How do honors classes work in college?

rheakith

Postby rheakith » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:41 am UTC

For me, the class sizes were smaller, the professors better, and the material was generally more fast paced and advanced. For example, you could do an honors bio sequence in 2 classes, whereas the regular one took 3 classes to complete. They were supposed to be graded equally, but I had some that were graded easier and some harder, so ymmv.

tanderson

Postby tanderson » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:10 pm UTC

freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen wrote:How do honors classes work in college?

They are similar in scope to the regular sections of classes. The differences I've noticed is that the professors take the material further and usually have the class go at a faster pace. Smaller class size is a plus in some cases, but with how many honors students there are at my university, most classes have a typical number of students. I take the classes because the professors are better and we cover more material.

existentialpanda

Postby existentialpanda » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:07 am UTC

For third term of my first year of college:

Math 1c: Multivariable Calculus
Physics 1c: E&M (part 2)
Geology 1: Earth and Environment
Biology 9: Cell Biology
Biology 10: Cell Biology Lab
HPS 133: Philosophy and Neuroscience

Not looking forward to physics, at all - I'm barely passing this term, and next term I won't be on pass/fail anymore. Gah. The bio classes should be good, though, and I'm really looking forward to the neuroscience class. That one sounds fantastic, and the reviews are good.

I'm doing orchestra too, but not for credit because I'm at the limit already and it's too much bother to go through an overload petition for that.

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:16 am UTC

Have a Tenative Schedule for my Fall semester of my Sophomore year
Chemistry Major
Mathematics Minor

Chem 3800- Organic Chemistry 1 lecture
Chem 3805- Organic Chemistry 1 lab
Phys 2000- General Physics 1 lecture
Phys 2005- General Physics 1 lab
Math 2400- Probability and Statistics
Hono 3500- Self/ Community/ Service Learning(?): Ethical Theory and Practise
Bio/Chem 4990- Chemistry Research Methodology II
Internship? would be nice if I could get this :)
Bio 3501?- Science Seminar... I hate this "class"

schedule subject to change!!
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

benoitowns

Postby benoitowns » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:16 pm UTC

Sophomore in highschool
(both semesters)

1. Advanced Algebra Honors- basically algebra 2, super boring
2. Study Hall- I never actually do my homework, so this is helpful
3. Chemistry- i should have taken honors, it is soooooooo slow, but at least i am getting like a 97 in it
4. US History- mostly movies
5. English 2 ICS - the easiest class ever. i wish i wasnt in it, tried to get out, they didn't let me
6. Gym- they make us take this every day, every year ugh
7. Lunch
8. Television Production 2- pretty chill class, filming and editing stuff
9. Spanish 4 Honors- actually not that hard, but i got really really bad at spanish this year so im only getting an 80 in it

1st semester:

Precalculus- awesome class, great teacher
Physics 1- really cool learning a lot of stuffs

2nd semester:

Calculus 1- holy shit this is boring. I like calc, but this class is so theoretical, we still havent done limits! it is just proof after proof! and its not like i can just teach myself from the textbook either, the head of the department wrote it, so the thing is filled with blocks of text. You ever try learning math by reading 600 pages of words? There are hardly any actual math problems.....
Physics 2- I suck at E&M, and it is hard to understand the professor, but it is still pretty cool

B.Good

Postby B.Good » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:33 pm UTC

Planned schedule for next semester:
Linguistics (to fill a general education requirement)
Introduction to C programming
Physics: Waves (4 days a week at 9 AM, I am going to die)
Advanced calculus (or real analysis)
Introduction to abstract algebra

I am going to require many hugs next semester.

Aightynine

Postby Aightynine » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:55 pm UTC

freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen wrote:How do honors classes work in college?

My guess is that it differs by school. At my school, there's an "Honors College," which allows you to attempt to graduate with Honors if you wish. You have to take this certain set of four courses, and I believe a few others. There's also some sort of special thesis requirement...I'm only a first year right now so I'm not entirely sure how that works.

Right now, I'm taking:

*Organic Chemistry (Lecture and Lab)
*Calculus III
Civilizations: Past/Present/Future II (This is one of the honors courses.)
Interpersonal Communication
Symphonic Band (Not really a class, but I do technically get a credit for it.)

*I was able to get into these a little earlier than normal due to AP credit. Woo.

Spoiler:
As you probably guessed, organic chemistry is the hardest one up there. The lecture tests are all at 7:00 AM, and my upcoming lab midterm is Terrifying (yes, capital T). I do love chemistry, though, so I'm enjoying myself despite that. I feel much more comfortable in lab than I did last semester. ^-^ I also really like Calculus, especially since the professor is really good.

The honors is all right. Basically, twice a week the students taking this class meet in small groups of around 12-15 or so. We call those sessions "preceptorials" and it's a discussion based class. In addition, all the students taking the class gather once a week for a big lecture. I like my preceptor, but the big lectures are kind of a crapshoot (occasionally they're good, but they're mostly boring). I don't like it as much as the first two courses I listed, but that's mostly because it's a english/history type course, and I'm partial to science and math.

I know interpersonal communication sounds like a BS course. Sometimes, it does take on that tone, but over all I'm glad I'm taking it; it's exposed me to some interesting ideas about communication. It's also made me think a little more critically about social interactions. The one thing that REALLY bugs me is that, on our assignments, my teacher tends to take off points* for using contractions. I mean, perhaps I should cut down, but she seems to think that one should never use contractions ever. It's really weird. 0.o

*Okay, so far it's only been 1/2 a point per assignment. That's why I haven't complained about it yet.

And symphonic band...well, that's fun, and we get to tour in April. :D It's hard to find time to practice for it sometimes, though.

^Me rambling about my classes.
This is my Tumblr, for the curious and/or bored. It mostly consists of random things/ideas I find interesting* and pictures of my friend Catherine.

*This might include but is not limited to: science, my research experiences, gender, feminism.

nehpest

Postby nehpest » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:33 pm UTC

Spring quarter classes coming up:

ECE 205 - Introduction to Sequential Logic. Analysis and design of finite state machines with state diagrams and ASM charts. Design of finite state machines with HDL. Implementation of finite state machines with FPGAs. 3 hours lecture/problem solving.

ECE 205L - Intro to Sequential Logic lab. Implementation of finite state machines with FPGA's using Verilog. 3 hours laboratory.

ECE 207 - Network Analysis I. An introduction to network analysis in the time domain using differential equations with computer applications. 3 lectures/problem-solving.

HRT 315 - Wines, Beers, and Spirits. The study of wine grapes, wine-making, and the evaluation of wine. Also includes initiation into the study of beer-making and the distillation of spirits. A thorough examination of the major wine grape varieties and world-wide appellations where they are grown. History, geography, economics, health and legal issues, as well as a thorough evaluation of wine and food, and managing wine in the business setting. 4 lecture discussions. Minimum age of student must be 21 years. Product fee required.

MAT 318 - Mathematical Analysis of Engineering Problems.Introduction to the algebra and calculus of vectors including the divergence and Stokes’ theorem. Introduction to analytic functions of a complex variable. Not open to mathematics majors for math elective credit. 3 lecture/problem-solving.

I'm very excited about my classes; the first three are core classes for my major, which is great, and the last two are personal development-type classes. The math course was originally planned to be part of my math minor, but I can't count both it and the Fourier Series class I'm finishing now towards the minor, so I'm debating whether I want to keep it.
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

Aodhan

Postby Aodhan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:09 am UTC

1st Semester, 3rd year, BSc. in Chemistry

CHEM3001 - Synthesis and Mechanism in Organic Chemistry

CHEM3004 - Determination of Molecular Structure

CHEM3010 - Inorganic Chemistry

CHEM3013 - Nanoscience: Self-assembly

Organic has lecture and lab components, Nano has lecture, lab and tutorial components. The others have lecture and tutorial/assignment components.

Durin

Postby Durin » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:08 am UTC

Ah it's that time of year again!

Sophomore Physics Major at University of Illinois
Math 415 - Applied Linear Algebra
Physics 325 - Classical Mechanics I
Physics 435- Electromagnetic Fields I
German 103 - Intermediate German I
English 103 - Introduction to Fiction

I can say I'm looking forward to all of them! I know the Physics classes are going to be way tougher now that I'm starting to sink my teeth into the upper division courses, but they'll hopefully be fun.

B.Good

Postby B.Good » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:58 pm UTC

Durin wrote:I can say I'm looking forward to all of them! I know the Physics classes are going to be way tougher now that I'm starting to sink my teeth into the upper division courses, but they'll hopefully be fun.

If your E&M class is a higher level E&M class, from what I've seen and heard, it's basically all of the stuff that was too difficult to do in calc 3. The words "Intermediate Electricity and Magnetism" or just "Physics/PHYS 411" strikes fear into the hearts of physics majors at my university. If the class is what I described, it would definitely be advantageous to get a study group going.

WHSTech

Postby WHSTech » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:21 pm UTC

Next year (Junior in high school):

AP Calculus BC
AP Chemistry
AP US History
AP Computer Science (Java)
English III Honors (American Literature)
French IV Honors
Wind Ensemble

All full year courses, although CompSci, Calc, and Chem shouldn't be too difficult. I'm dreading the language classes though, because most of our English Department is very tough and I don't do very well in French.

keeneal
Location: Glenside during the school year, Rising Sun in the summers, Lancaster in the in-between

Postby keeneal » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:05 am UTC

Fall - Senior Year (Arcadia University, English/Secondary Education)

GM285 - King Arthur in the German Epic Myth
EN490 - The Text, The Critic, and the World (English Senior Seminar)
EN374 - Grant Writing for Non-Profits
ED412 - Instructional Methods and Designing Curricula : Writing to Improve Literacy (Education Senior Seminar)
EN344 - Introduction to Linguistics and Language History (this is my "fun" course)

I'll also be a peer mentor for a First-Year Seminar... so I'll be attending another class, but they'll be paying me and I won't be doing any of the work :P
I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.Alex Keene

Username4242
Location: (Previously) Montana State University--Bozeman, Montana.

Postby Username4242 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:27 pm UTC

Population Genetics
Conservation Biology
Mammalogy
Aquatic Field Ecology
Ecology Seminar
Physics I

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:55 pm UTC

finally got to register for my classes after a small goof by the registrar's office... It didn't say anywhere on my transcript that I had tested out of MATH 1210(intro to college math), 1300(intermediate algebra), 1400(college algebra), 1450(lower division reasoning/logic), or 1500(pre calculus). So I wasn't allowed to register for Physics because the pre-requirement for Physics is taking MATH 1400, which I tested out of. They were going to make me take college algebra before I told them that I was in MATH 1700 (Calculus II). So I had to talk to my advisor and ask her to help me get some permissions over-ridden so I could take my Physics class... rawr

CHEM 3800 Organic Chemistry 1 lecture (3 credits)
CHEM 3805 Organic Chemistry 1 lab (1 credit)
PHYS 2000 General Physics 1 lecture (3 credits)
PHYS 2005 General Physics 1 lab (1 credit)
MATH 3000 Multivariate Calculus (4 credits)
HONO 3500 Self/ Community/ Service Learning(?): Ethical Theory and Practise (3 credits)
BIO/CHEM 4990 Research Methodology II (2 credits)
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:49 pm UTC

Well, I figured I'd jump into this thread again. I'm going for a Mechanical Engineering degree, and this fall will be my 5th semester:

• Heat Transfer - pretty self-explanitory
  • Product Realization I - Kind of combining materials, manufacturing, mechanics of materials, dynamics, etc. - not exactly sure, just know that the majority of people hate it!
  • Engineering Design Processes - don't know exactly what this will be - it's a pretty new class as the requirements changed a just a year ago
  • Analytical Vibroacousitcs - Tech elective. I really liked vibrations, so hopefully this class will be interesting.
  • Mechanical Engineering Lab - Once again, not exactly sure what this is, but everyone hates it and it takes way more work/time than a 2 credit class would suggest.

This summer I'm also taking Advanced Thermodynamics. I wanted to take an online class this summer so I could get back into the 'school mode' (Co-op from Jan-Aug. It's really hard to get used to no free time again) and this is the only one that was offered that would count for anything. Plus it's taught by a prof that's pretty amazing at teaching so that's always nice.

nehpest

Postby nehpest » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:16 am UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:Once again, not exactly sure what this is, but everyone hates it and it takes way more work/time than a 2 credit class would suggest.

I've heard rumors of 2 credit labs. Does it meet 6ish hours a week?

blag

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:21 pm UTC

nehpest wrote:
KestrelLowing wrote:Once again, not exactly sure what this is, but everyone hates it and it takes way more work/time than a 2 credit class would suggest.

I've heard rumors of 2 credit labs. Does it meet 6ish hours a week?

Well, technically only 4 a week (3hr lab, 1 hr lecture) but no one ever finishes the labs in time.

jawdisorder

Postby jawdisorder » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:56 pm UTC

Just registered for the fall semester today:

ECE 170: an introductory electronics lab
Physics 202: general physics II - electricity, light, sounds, magnetism
Math 240: Intro to Discrete Mathematics
ECE 354: Machine Organization and Programming
CS 367: Intro to Data Structures
CS 368: C++ Intro course

For a grand total of 16 credits.

B.Good

Postby B.Good » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:56 am UTC

Schedule for my sophomore semester for the Fall semester of 2011 for a math major:
Differential Geometry: Unfortunately, the professor said that the class won't be very proof based, which is kind of disappointing for me. However, it is relevant to my research which is pretty cool and it will help me if my school offers the calculus on manifolds/differential forms class again. Also there is a lot of multivariable calculus used in this course which is quite good because I don't think I got as much out of my multivariable calculus class as I should have. Man, given my research, differential geometry, not being able to take abstract algebra this semester so I can't take graduate algebra next year so I'm probably going to take the Riemannian geometry class. I think I'm accidentally becoming a geometer :lol: .

Advanced Calculus (or Introductory Real Analysis): Seen as the "math weed out class" here, my faculty advisor (currently my number theory professor) told me to wait a little bit, oddly enough, the undergraduate math advisor to take this course before abstract algebra, but there are proposed schedules for the combined bachelors and masters program and it has the student taking this course by the beginning of sophomore year so I'm going to at least try. Also if I get at least a B in this course I can get into the math honors program which would definitely help my academic resume.

Waves: A physics course for after my electricity and magnetism class. It's supposed to be really difficult, but I think after my E+M class I'm starting to get the hang of how physics is done here -- sort of.

I'll probably register in a one credit course titled "Putnam Express" which is basically practicing problems for the Putnam exam. My school usually does quite well in the Putnam exam (the school's team last year placed 7th) so I expect I'll get at least something out of this class.

History of Science: A history general ed course that I need to take but it seems like I will enjoy it.

Introduction to Archaeology: It's also a general education course I need but it seems interesting.

On paper it seems like a great schedule but I think I will run on hugs, coffee (since I don't drink coffee, it looks like I'll have to pick up this habit), and the crushed souls of classmates (probably also my own) to make it through with some semblance of sanity and GPA.
Last edited by B.Good on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:02 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.

Raeil

Postby Raeil » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:10 am UTC

This semester has pretty much sucked as far as classes go, so I'm pretty stoked for next semester, as it's entirely in my major/minor fields. By the way, I'll be a Senior (credit-wise, 3rd year at college) in Applied Mathematics with a minor in Music and Physics.

Math 302 - Intermediate Differential Equations - By the end of elementary we were starting to focus on using matrices to solve systems of first-order linear differential equations. This course continues with vector-matrix systems, existence-uniqueness theorems and an introduction to stability theory.
Math 305 - Modern Algebra I - Basically my first pure mathematics course. We're studying mathematical constructs such as rings, groups, and homomorphisms. I'd say this is the class I'm 2nd most excited for.
Math 309 - Advanced Calculus I - I'm most excited for this course. From what my roommate has been telling me, you start with the integer axioms and work your way to proving the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.
Math 361 - Problem Solving in Pure Math - Essentially "Putnam Exam Training."
Stat 343 - Probability and Statistics - While it's a 300 level class, it's actually an introductory course to Prob and Stat. The 200 level Stat courses are aimed at the engineers at the school (which make up appx 80% of the undergrads), while this one is aimed at Math, Stat, and Physics majors.
Music 41 - Chamber Choir - No explanation necessary.
Music 121 - Individual Music Instruction III - 3rd semester of Piano lessons for the minor.
Music 251 - History and Analysis of Music I - The first half of the second set of courses needed for the music minor.

All in all, it's 18 hours, but this semester I've done 20, and it's been great (grade-wise, at least), so I think I can handle it.

Pancaaakes

Postby Pancaaakes » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:00 am UTC

Currently about 2/3 of the way through my first semester of my first year of a BA, which is lovely so far. Thought the compulsory multi-discipline subjects, while great in concept have way too much material in them to do any of them justice v.v

Sem 1:
MULT10004: Homer to Hollywood (about the representation of war throughout time)
MULT10005: Democracy
CWRI10001: Creative Writing: Ideas and Practice
BLAW10001: Principles of Business Law

And next Semester:
ENGL10001: Modern and Contemporary Literature
HIST10005: Age of Revolutions: America and France
POLS10003: Introduction to Political Ideas OR (and most likely) INTS10001: International Politics
ECON10004: Introductory Microeconomics

Save Point

Postby Save Point » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:56 am UTC

Next semester:

Constitutional Law II
Wills and Trusts
Estate and Gifts Taxation
Federal Income Tax I: Individuals
Family Law

They're all exactly what they sound like.

Arsole

Postby Arsole » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:52 pm UTC

As I'm not for the US i find it hard to understand exactly how your schools work. This is how it works where I'm from.

Age 7-15/16: Compulsary education
15/16-18/19: Secondary education
18/19-21/22: If you take a Bachelor of Science
21/22-23/24: Master of Science
23/24-27/28: PhD

I find it stunning that you are able to take a PhD at the age of ~23 and how they can be considered to be equal.

tanderson

Postby tanderson » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:27 pm UTC

Rising sophomore in Applied mathematics at the New Jersey Institute of Technology. Starting my first non-calculus courses along with some interesting CS courses.

Math 222 Honors -- Introduction to Differential Equations: This is the course I am looking forward to the most. We start with the most basic ways of solving ODEs and then study Laplace transforms, series solutions, and numerical solutions.

Math 213 Honors -- Calculus 3: Multivariable Calculus

Math 227 -- Mathematical Modeling: An introduction to how to use numerics to model data, mostly from physical phenomena. Should be a interesting class, but it is rumored to be rather difficult.

PHYS 234/231A Honors-- Physics 3 & Lab: Study of optics, wave theory, introduction to modern physics(equivalence of mass & energy), radiation.

CS 431 Honors -- Database System Design and Management: I look forward to this course because it's one of the first interesting CS courses I'll be doing for my minor in computer science. I've used MySQL, the database of choice in the course, in the past so I'm looking forward to it.

Kurushimi

Postby Kurushimi » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:10 pm UTC

Arsole wrote:As I'm not for the US i find it hard to understand exactly how your schools work. This is how it works where I'm from.

I find it stunning that you are able to take a PhD at the age of ~23 and how they can be considered to be equal.

No, that sees a lot like it is here. Though, I guess some PHD's take shorter than others.

Arsole

Postby Arsole » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:56 pm UTC

Kurushimi wrote:
Arsole wrote:As I'm not for the US i find it hard to understand exactly how your schools work. This is how it works where I'm from.

No, that sees a lot like it is here. Though, I guess some PHD's take shorter than others.

I remember reading that in the US you would get your PhD around the age of 24 but now that I look it up it seems that I was mistaken. Just for the sake of learning, is it true or wrong that you have to take courses/classes not really related to the subject you are taking (math for example)? If I were to take a BSc in mathematics where I live i would only be required to take classes in math and math related topics such as basic programming (MATLAB and stuff like that).

Chuff
CHOO CHOO I'M A TRAIN

Postby Chuff » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:01 pm UTC

In many places, yes, distribution requirements exist.
The Great Hippo wrote:The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.
addams wrote:How human of him. "If, they can do it, then, I can do it." Humans. Pfft. Poor us.

pizzazz

Postby pizzazz » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:34 pm UTC

MATH 163--Honors Calculus IBL. Extremely theoretical and entirely proof based (halfway through the third quarter of the 161-2-3 sequence, and we're about to prove the fundamental theorem).
SOSC 113--Power, Identity, and Resistance. Third quarter of a 3 course sequence, one of several that can be selected to fulfill the social sciences requirement. This quarter we're reading Nietzsche, Freud, Fanon, Arendt, Foucault, Weber, and others.
BIOS 131--Environmental Science: A Microbiology Toolkit for the Modern Age. A non-major bio class to finish my bio requirement, though we have everything from first years (like myself) to actual majors to a chem grad student.
ECON 198--Introduction to Microeconomics. Only big lecture class (bio is a lecture but very small), ~150 people.

Dark Avorian

Postby Dark Avorian » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:36 pm UTC

Senior in High School: all of these are full year courses except Russian Hist + Lit

A: Physics w/ Calculus
B: Adv. Topics in Spanish (post AP)
C: Adv Calc (BC Calc + a couple extra topics)
D: Russian History and Literature
E: Senior Studio (visual arts open media advanced course)
F:Mathematical Modelling (adv elective, must be taking or have taken Calc AB)
The 62-foot tall statue of Jesus constructed out of styrofoam, wood and fiberglass resin caught on fire after the right hand of the statue was struck by lightning.

meatyochre wrote:And yea, verily the forums crowd spake: "Teehee!"

Return to “School”