Back/shoulder exercises?

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Flying Betty

Back/shoulder exercises?

Postby Flying Betty » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:17 am UTC

To put this bluntly, my boobs are too big for my body. They pull me forward and my back aches constantly. I wear well fitting bras, so that isn't the issue. I'm also about 50 pounds overweight, which is the real issue, but due to mental things that I don't feel like getting into here, losing weight isn't going to happen at this time.

So what I'm looking for are exercises that will help me build some muscle to hold up these huge tracts of land that I've managed to grow. I have access to a gym with a couple of shitty 1908s weight machines (assuming I stay living in the same place), a fairly spacious apartment, a yoga ball, and Wii Fit. Do you have any suggestions, especially working with what I already have to start with?
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

TheSkyMovesSideways

Re: Back/shoulder exercises?

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:41 am UTC

Chin-ups
Assisted chin-ups (using a machine, elastic, feet on a stool, partner, etc)
Body rows (Easier than chin-ups and targeting the upper back muscles more than the latissimus dorsi, so good for you.)
Barbell bent over rows (or with a dumbell)
I had all kinds of plans in case of a zombie attack.
I just figured I'd be on the other side.
~ASW

0range

Postby 0range » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:52 pm UTC

You can do some neat back exercises with a yoga ball, or just on the ground. You can absolutely 'isolate' your back/shoulders, but I would recommend more integrated core exercises.

Two exercises that come to mind immediately are back extensions and supermans. Instead of trying to write about them, here's an article and a youtube video, check em out.

http://exercise.about.com/cs/abs/l/bl_core.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8szJuzPt-sg
"A person who persists in believing what is not true or disbelieving what is true can waste a lifetime of effort on something that is without hope of success."

E. Jayne

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:02 pm UTC

Cool, thanks. I'll try to give some of these a shot this week.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Hobgoblin

Postby Hobgoblin » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:03 am UTC

Trunk lifts, too.

But yeah, chin ups.
Life is the best toy anyone could ever give you, and I'm going to play with it until it breaks.

Return to “Fit Club”