Fitness at School?

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Fitness at School?

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:57 am UTC

Does anyone have any tips on how to counteract the fattening qualities of college food? I can't stop eating at the dining commons (which serve only two healthy items: whole-wheat pasta and salad bar) for another 1.5 years due to university rules, but I'd really like to rid myself of my (small, healthy amount) of excess body fat once and for all.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

reflectia

Re: Fitness at School?

Postby reflectia » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:03 am UTC

My idea of college food is rather limited, having only spent 3 weeks living on a college campus ever. Anyway, for those 3 weeks, I had a salad every meal and drank loads of water so I'd feel fuller and eat less unhealthy food. I skipped out on dessert and had fruit, which was just as satisfying. Every morning I'd spend about a half-hour on a run around campus, and walked for around an hour at night. I don't know how much you already do, so I hope this helps.

Also - why are you so worried about a "small, healthy amount of excess body fat"? I don't mean to be critical, but it's perfectly normal to have a bit of body fat.
I accidentally divided by zero and my paper burst into flames.

NOT Steve

Postby NOT Steve » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:33 am UTC

Well reflectia, I've noticed an interesting pattern of behavior that applies to the majority of mankind. It goes a little something like this:

Current amount of body fat>Desired amount of Body Fat

You might try combining the pasta and salad to form pasta salad and then combine it with a small amount of something less healthy for flavor.
Should horses be represented in the Senate? Nay.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:42 am UTC

I ain't worried about it. It's just that I can lose the fat and still have a perfectly healthy BMI while being a bit more attractive, having a bit less dead weight on my body, and having a bit less fat damping the levels of certain hormones (notably testosterone). It's a nice-to-have, not an essential, which explains why my dinner tonight was a salad, a bowl of soup, and a piece of chocolate torte.

Basically, I'd just like to know how to stay fit when confronted almost exclusively with unhealthy foods.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:36 am UTC

The short answer is exercise. If calories out > calories in, you'll lose weight (probably fat, though not necessarily).
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Return to “Fit Club”