Quick Question

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

BMP

Quick Question

Postby BMP » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:38 am UTC

I'm relatively over weight (high 150s lbs and 5'5ft). I recently started to do minor exorcises; I don't feel like going to the gym to get a super work out, but I'd still like the shed off a few pounds. The main stuff I do is about 100 push ups and 100 sit-ups, and then some other similar exorcises, whenever I feel like it(during each day). Late at night or in mid-day, and I still eat normally.

1st question: Would this ever work, to start to show some sign of weight loss, or is this simple work out a lost cause?

and 2nd: If the answer to #1 was no, how long (for those of you that know) would it take for the signs to start showing? I'm estimating a few weeks-month(s).(I just started this about 4 days ago)

and 3: Any pointers to this method if it would work/make it work better.

WaywardAngel

Re: Quick Question

Postby WaywardAngel » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:16 am UTC

BMP wrote:I'm relatively over weight (high 150s lbs and 5'5ft). I recently started to do minor exorcises; I don't feel like going to the gym to get a super work out, but I'd still like the shed off a few pounds. The main stuff I do is about 100 push ups and 100 sit-ups, and then some other similar exorcises, whenever I feel like it(during each day). Late at night or in mid-day, and I still eat normally.

1st question: Would this ever work, to start to show some sign of weight loss, or is this simple work out a lost cause?

and 2nd: If the answer to #1 was no, how long (for those of you that know) would it take for the signs to start showing? I'm estimating a few weeks-month(s).(I just started this about 4 days ago)

and 3: Any pointers to this method if it would work/make it work better.

Define 'eating normally'. If your diet is good, that's the hardest part sorted. Beyond that, just do some cardio/weights depending on preference - your current workout is a bit lacking though. Running/cycling/swimming would all be good for weight loss. You could probably lose a few pounds per week if you're getting an hour's good cardio three or four times a week in combination with a healthy diet - what's crucial is that it would be sustainable and make you much healthier in the process.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:06 am UTC

Eating generally can have a much bigger impact than exercising. . And it will take a while to see results. It's pretty much recommended not to lose more than 1-2 pounds per week.

From [url=http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist3.htm]here[\url], weight lifting, moderate effort for someone weighing 155 burns 211 calories an hour. So if you eat the way you've been eating and do a little over an hour of exercise you can expect to lose half a pound per week.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

0range

Postby 0range » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:53 am UTC

I would look into adding some leg exercises like lunges and squats and skipping rope.

Also, if you want to see better results, instead of just doing 100 sit-ups, or 100 push-ups, change them up, and divide them into sets to provide rests in between.

If I were going to do 100 of each, I'd do them three times a week and divide them into 5 sets of 20. I'd also do variations like.

Sit-ups

First set: Crunches
Second set: Sit ups
Third set: Stalls (these can be done from the standard sit-up posture, or with legs elevated)
Fourth set: Elbow to knee sit ups.
Fifth set: Leg lifts

Push-ups

First set: Regular pushups
Second set: Decline pushups
Third set: Chinese pushups (these have many different names and are a bit difficult to describe, but I will try. You're going to have your feet spread about 2.5-3ft apart with your butt up in the air. Now, do your pushup, but do it like you're trying to slide under something. Your head goes down first, then goes forward and up, as your butt and rest of your body follow.)
Fourth set: Plyometric pushups. (Start on your knees and fall forward, catching yourself as close to the ground as possible)
Fifth set: Incline pushups.

Here's a sample (first number is repetitions, second is set, so five repetitions and three sets is 5x3):

Monday, Wednesday, Friday:

3minutesx3 Skipping rope
12x3 Lunges
12x3 Squats

Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday:

Pushups
Situps

If you do this, eat well and stay consistent, you can definitely shed fat, build some muscle and be much healthier.
"A person who persists in believing what is not true or disbelieving what is true can waste a lifetime of effort on something that is without hope of success."

E. Jayne

BMP

Postby BMP » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:31 pm UTC

Hm this advice seems pretty good, the biggest problem now is just the way I eat.

What i usually do is 100 squats and those heal lift things(together, 5 sets of 20, usually 3 sets of squats and 2 sets of heal lift things) Then I do as much sit ups as I can before I feel like stopping, and if it's before 100 I take a small break and do the remaining. Then I usually do 3 sets of 30 push ups and 1 set of 10. Then i just end up doing random stuff, like special kinds of sit ups or push ups, or more squats. In the end at least one tier of my exercising adds up to more than 100.

0range

Postby 0range » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:43 pm UTC

BMP wrote:Hm this advice seems pretty good, the biggest problem now is just the way I eat.

What i usually do is 100 squats and those heal lift things(together, 5 sets of 20, usually 3 sets of squats and 2 sets of heal lift things) Then I do as much sit ups as I can before I feel like stopping, and if it's before 100 I take a small break and do the remaining. Then I usually do 3 sets of 30 push ups and 1 set of 10. Then i just end up doing random stuff, like special kinds of sit ups or push ups, or more squats. In the end at least one tier of my exercising adds up to more than 100.

Sounds like you've got a good idea of what you can work into your spare time. With calf raises (I think that's what you're talking about with "heal lift things" - you're rising up on the balls of your feet, yes?) it can be useful to do them on stairs with your heels dangling off of the step.
"A person who persists in believing what is not true or disbelieving what is true can waste a lifetime of effort on something that is without hope of success."

E. Jayne

Return to “Fit Club”