I Also Have a "Mad Schedule"- Losing Weight?

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
une see
Is my girl
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:31 pm UTC
Location: a tenuous grip on reality
Contact:

I Also Have a "Mad Schedule"- Losing Weight?

Postby une see » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:26 am UTC

I have kind of the same problem as Savoy_Truffle in his thread, "Losing Weight with a Mad Schedule?" I'm still a high school student, and my schedule is really packed. I wake up at 8 am to go to school, and I get back home at around 4 pm (if I'm not doing anything after school). During cross country season, I usually get back at 6 pm; during fencing season, I usually get back at 7 pm. Then, I eat dinner, take a shower, etc. I still have to do homework, as well as practice piano (which takes anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on my mood).

Exercise isn't really a problem for me, but I can't seem to lose weight, even though I exercise pretty strenuously almost every day. The food I eat at home is pretty healthy (my dad cooks every night, so it's all fresh), and I eat a pretty large breakfast (milk, whole wheat bread, fruit).

The big problem is that while I'm at school, all I'm eating is the school lunch, which is usually ridiculously unhealthy. I already bought a pre-paid lunch card for the whole year, and I don't want to waste all that money by bringing in my own lunch from now on. And I always feel hungry; I'm almost never full. I don't understand it, but I am never ever full.

How do I manage to eat healthier in school without wasting my parents' money? I also can't do the "a few small meals a day" thing because I don't have time to eat during most classes in school.

Age: 15
Height: 5'5" or 5'6"
Weight: 140ish pounds
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

User avatar
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.
Posts: 6475
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:30 pm UTC
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: I Also Have a "Mad Schedule"- Losing Weight?

Postby 22/7 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:38 am UTC

une see wrote:How do I manage to eat healthier in school without wasting my parents' money? I also can't do the "a few small meals a day" thing because I don't have time to eat during most classes in school.

Age: 15
Height: 5'5" or 5'6"
Weight: 140ish pounds

This is probably where I'd start. Weight was never an issue for me in high school, but in college it has been. I've noticed that 3ish smaller meals really help me control my weight. That said, a small meal could be simply a granola bar or an apple, either of which could be eaten in between classes (I'm assuming you have at least the 5 minutes between classes that I had in HS).

Also, depending on your build, 5'5/6" and 140 pounds is not that big. Are you concerned about your weight due to body fat percentage or are you trying to slim down for cc or...? Just curious, since you may have better luck converting fat to muscle rather than actually dropping weight.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

User avatar
apricity
almost grown-up but not quite
Posts: 3983
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:28 am UTC

Re: I Also Have a "Mad Schedule"- Losing Weight?

Postby apricity » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:52 pm UTC

At 15, you really shouldn't be looking to lose weight. Your body needs as much nutrition as it can get because it's still developing. Wanting to be healthy is fine, but losing weight shouldn't be your goal at this point.

That said, it's possible you're not eating enough. Try and track your calories for a few days. If you're exercising strenuously, you probably need more calories than you think. I'm completely just guessing here, but if you say that milk, bread and fruit is a large breakfast, and you don't really snack between meals, my best guess from what you've given us so far is you're not eating enough. The thing is, if you don't eat enough, your body holds onto as many calories and fat as it can because it thinks it's going into starvation mode. The best way to lose weight is to eat 500 calories less than you burn. (I promise. I've done it.) But if you consistently burn 1000 more calories than you eat, your body will start to hate you for it.

What kinds of foods does your cafeteria have? Knowing that would help in determining how you can eat healthy there.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

User avatar
une see
Is my girl
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:31 pm UTC
Location: a tenuous grip on reality
Contact:

Re: I Also Have a "Mad Schedule"- Losing Weight?

Postby une see » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:22 am UTC

I'm not really trying to lose weight, just trying to lose fat, I suppose.

I don't think I'm not eating enough. My breakfast isn't that large because I can't eat more, or I'll miss the bus (and I hate waking up early, so I miss the bus quite frequently :(). However, I eat a lot during dinner and after school, and the school lunch is usually pretty big, albeit unhealthy.

School lunch usually consists of fries, some kind of fruit cup, sometimes salad, occasionally a cookie or ice cream, jello, and the "hot lunch" of the day. The hot lunch could be pizza, pasta, chicken fingers, tacos, hot dogs, burgers, brunch for lunch, or a grilled cheese sandwich, depending on what is chosen for the day. (There are more hot lunch selections, but I don't remember what they all are.) A sandwich is also available, for those who don't want the hot lunch (I usually don't). You can get a bread, roll, or bagel, with either turkey, bologna, tuna, cheese, or peanut butter and jelly on top. I usually get turkey on a roll, tuna on a roll, or peanut butter and jelly.
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

trickster721
Posts: 282
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:26 am UTC

Re: I Also Have a "Mad Schedule"- Losing Weight?

Postby trickster721 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:00 am UTC

The only way you lose weight is by eating fewer calories than you burn. Eating healthy will make you healthier, not thinner.

So it should actually save you time.

User avatar
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.
Posts: 6475
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:30 pm UTC
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: I Also Have a "Mad Schedule"- Losing Weight?

Postby 22/7 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:40 am UTC

trickster721 wrote:The only way you lose weight is by eating fewer calories than you burn. Eating healthy will make you healthier, not thinner.
Yes and no (on the second part). Often times healthier includes fewer calories, mostly because the kinds of foods that are generally low calorie foods (like fruits and veggies) are healthy and the kinds that are high calorie (like meats, breads, things with lots of sugar and fat, etc.) are generally unhealthy (well, not exactly unhealthy, but they should be eaten in greater moderation than the others).
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

User avatar
parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time
Posts: 5539
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:17 am UTC
Location: la-la land
Contact:

Re: I Also Have a "Mad Schedule"- Losing Weight?

Postby parkaboy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:01 pm UTC

cafeteria food is horrible. our school never had any kind of remotely healthy alternative. there was a "salad" bar but it was all iceberg lettuce... solid water anyone?

as for tracking calories, i've started doing this, so i know how many calories i take in per day but how do you tell how much you're burning? is there a chart or something that breaks it down by activity, age and weight because i know all those things have to factor in somehow. basically, how do you know you're burning more calories than you are eating, or what to set your caloric limit at?
Image

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial


tylerwylie
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:23 am UTC
Location: Champaign, IL
Contact:

Re: I Also Have a "Mad Schedule"- Losing Weight?

Postby tylerwylie » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:35 am UTC

One thing I've noticed that helps a lot is if you do weight training and aerobics before you go to work, school, <insert obligations here>, etcetera.

It gives your metabolism a boost, I usually go lift weights before I've eaten anything during the day, then some Whey Protein afterwards, and during the day my energy level is nice and constant.
Who are you and who am I
To say we know the reason why?
Some are born; some men die
Beneath one infinite sky.
There'll be war, there'll be peace.
But everything one day will cease.
All the iron turned to rust;
All the proud men turned to dust.


Return to “Fit Club”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests