Pet Peeves

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Pet Peeves

Postby Hammer » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:26 pm UTC

Spammers who can't work their own spambots. If there's anything I hate more than my spam, it's the spam messages where it is clear that the idiot forgot to set the subject variable or is embedding it as a literal or suchlike. Jeez, at least test the damn thing before you start pumping email addresses into it!
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

photosinensis

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby photosinensis » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:33 am UTC

I hate it when people hear that I'm studying computer science and immediately ask me if I'll teach them how to pwn other people's boxen. Yes, I know how to do so. No, I won't teach you. It would be unethical.
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mournng, mourning for my dear amour.
"'Tis not possible!" I uttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the server: 404.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:06 am UTC

when people make shit up instead of telling people they dont know. this especially pisses me off if they are giving dead wrong advice and i know it or when people belive them because they are good talkers

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:48 am UTC

When you're trying to help someone fix a problem and they utterly ignore what you're telling them to do.

photosinensis

Postby photosinensis » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:26 am UTC

Silver2Falcon wrote:When you're trying to help someone fix a problem and they utterly ignore what you're telling them to do.

You've worked tech support, haven't you? Or, at the very least, dealt with $relative that knows shit about computers and cares about as much.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:25 pm UTC

When people assume that since I'm a programmer I must be a techie.

No, I won't fix your computer, because I probably don't know how.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:32 pm UTC

When clients ask me to have their websites rummage around their visitor's computers without their knowledge, as if there's nothing wrong with that since it's for marketing after all! I tell them about themselves. I use strong language.

photosinensis

Postby photosinensis » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:04 pm UTC

Hammer wrote:When clients ask me to have their websites rummage around their visitor's computers without their knowledge, as if there's nothing wrong with that since it's for marketing after all! I tell them about themselves. I use strong language.

Haven't you heard? Anything is okay if you do it for marketing. Even genocide.

Another thing that pisses me off: search engine optimization. Stop trying to game Google for free ads. If you want the big G to advertise you, then take up a contract with them. No, there's no reason to have all that clutter on your page for more inbound links. And for the love of your webserver, don't put one of those Digg buttons on your Wordpress blog, particularly when you're on a shared webserver. The only thing that goes down faster than a Wordpress blog on Digg is a crack whore.

Another thing I can't stand: people getting websites in the hopes of launching a get rich quick scheme.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:24 pm UTC

People assuming that I can fix all their computer problems (including completely ruined (and not just damaged, but had-a-magnet-to-it ruined) hard-drives), when they find out that I know anything at all about computers.

Also, those who see the need to have a favourite browser/OS/mouse/hairstyle. They've all got win points and suck points, even Internet Explorer (e.g. it loads much faster than anything else functional on this ancient machine I use).
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

photosinensis

Postby photosinensis » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:23 pm UTC

Cheese wrote:Also, those who see the need to have a favourite browser/OS/mouse/hairstyle. They've all got win points and suck points, even Internet Explorer (e.g. it loads much faster than anything else functional on this ancient machine I use).

Ah, but if nobody had favorites, the world would be far less interesting. Monoculture sucks. Just ask anyone running Windows how much spyware they've got on their computer.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:29 pm UTC

None. I keep it clean. And don't pay for those lovely antiverusspamspywaremalwareadwareetcetcetc programs, when just being careful (and disabling most scripting) works fine.

Ah, and another pet peeve: That many antivirus programs show up other companies' antivirus programs as spam. Also, that much 'protection' software, designed to 'keep stuff you don't want off your computer', is really quite difficult to permanently remove.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

loratwopointone

Postby loratwopointone » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:32 pm UTC

Friends repeatedly asking me to design their rubbish bands website as I did one module on web design a few years ago. Wouldn't mind, but they all want stupid flash stuff that will take me ages as I'm rather rubbish on flash.

That and bare feet. Can't stand the sight of them.
Goth Juice - The most powerful hairspray known to man. Made from the tears of Robert Smith.

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:13 am UTC

Having to watch a %$#* movie every time somebody wants to tell me something. Does everything need to be communicated via three minute YouTube clip?!

photosinensis

Postby photosinensis » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:42 am UTC

Hammer wrote:Having to watch a %$#* movie every time somebody wants to tell me something. Does everything need to be communicated via three minute YouTube clip?!

On that line, YouTube commenters are incredibly annoying and inane. It's almost like reading /b/.

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:44 am UTC

photosinensis wrote:
Hammer wrote:Having to watch a %$#* movie every time somebody wants to tell me something. Does everything need to be communicated via three minute YouTube clip?!

On that line, YouTube commenters are incredibly annoying and inane. It's almost like reading /b/.

I would say it's worse. At least /b/ is occasionally funny, and clearly trolling (most of the time). On youtube I can't tell the difference between trolling and dead stupidity.

WraithXt1

Postby WraithXt1 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:55 am UTC

People who say "I could care less"

Yeah? Could you? Maybe you ment to say "I couldnt care less", you ass.

*fumes with anger*

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:58 am UTC

The word ass. At least, the word ass being used by fellow Australians. How hard is it to spell arse correctly?

WraithXt1

Postby WraithXt1 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:16 am UTC

JayDee wrote:The word ass. At least, the word ass being used by fellow Australians. How hard is it to spell arse correctly?

Arse? Thats something kids say when they are too scared of saying 'Ass'. Do Australians really type/say it like that?

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 am UTC

The real Australians do. The 'r' is certainly there in speech, and some people still spell it that way. I remember hearing Denis Leary's song and thinking that while it was funny, it's a shame he can't spell. Of course, with the proliferation of American TV and so on, ass has certainly become popular.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:16 pm UTC

Cheese wrote:People assuming that I can fix all their computer problems (including completely ruined (and not just damaged, but had-a-magnet-to-it ruined) hard-drives), when they find out that I know anything at all about computers.
This. (See above.)

I also had someone ask me how to do something script-based in Excel. Of course, I know nothing about VBA/Excel (or VBA/anything for that matter); the only thing I've ever done remotely complicated in Excel involved formulas. The first thing I did, of course, was start to look up basic how-to's on VBA/Excel, at which point I realized they could be doing the same thing I was doing. I gave them a quick-and-dirty formula that came close, directed them to the tutorials I had found, and moved on.
31/M/taken/US

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Ghorthas

Postby Ghorthas » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:55 pm UTC

People who complain about things they don't like. ;)

EDIT: Oh and pants. Pants are annoying. Oh no, now I annoy myself :(

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:05 pm UTC

People who just can't figure (computer-related and other) things out on their own at all. They just seem entirely convinced they can't format their Ipod/configure their printer/disable Javascript without someone else telling them exactly every step. Reading the manuals, or even considering exploring the menu options on their own doesn't seem to occur to them.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:09 pm UTC

WraithXt1 wrote:People who say "I could care less"

*fumes with anger*

I could care less.

But only a very little bit less.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:51 pm UTC

Dingbats wrote:People who just can't figure (computer-related and other) things out on their own at all. They just seem entirely convinced they can't format their Ipod/configure their printer/disable Javascript without someone else telling them exactly every step. Reading the manuals, or even considering exploring the menu options on their own doesn't seem to occur to them.

I know many people like this (who doesn't), and because I have a decent memory of my very early computer using years, I remember being like this myself. The problem with "exploring menu options" for these kinds of people is that they're afraid they'll break something (or everything) if they do something wrong. If their fears have ever been realized -- even if it's something that's "obviously wrong" like registry mucking or root-of-hard-drive mucking -- it makes things that much worse for them in the future. Reading the manuals or doing online research is all fine and dandy until it comes time to actually do what the manuals are telling them to do; at that point the fear of breaking something may still be there and if it is, they're screwed without talking to an actual person.

The above is one of the reasons I don't particularly mind if someone asks me for help. My two main pet peeves are when they *expect* me to know-it-all (as stated above), and when they blame me when it doesn't work (or worse, when they fuck something up by not following my directions correctly).
31/M/taken/US

zenten

Postby zenten » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:58 pm UTC

People who take a course in how to use a computer program, and then call up tech support for another program vaguely related, and try to get tech support to help them with their homework.

Bosses who say that I have to help them with their homework.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:01 pm UTC

zenten wrote:Bosses ... homework

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

I am thoroughly confused.
31/M/taken/US

zenten

Postby zenten » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:27 pm UTC

rrwoods wrote:

Unfortunately that's close to the amount of clarification I'm willing to give. I work in support if that helps.

HappySmileMan

Postby HappySmileMan » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:29 pm UTC

When I tell people I want to be a programmer and invariable get the response "computer programming?", "You mean on computers" or something like that.

People who learn enough about computers to hack a Flog and then stop learning because apparently they've proved how 1337 they are.

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:27 pm UTC

rrwoods wrote:Reading the manuals or doing online research is all fine and dandy until it comes time to actually do what the manuals are telling them to do; at that point the fear of breaking something may still be there and if it is, they're screwed without talking to an actual person.

The above is one of the reasons I don't particularly mind if someone asks me for help.

Well, me neither, but I really hate it when they assume I know better than them how to use X feature in Y program that I've never touched before. But then again I usually figure it out and they didn't even try, so in a way they're right...

HappySmileMan

Postby HappySmileMan » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:40 pm UTC

Dingbats wrote:Well, me neither, but I really hate it when they assume I know better than them how to use X feature in Y program that I've never touched before. But then again I usually figure it out and they didn't even try, so in a way they're right...

Well my friends all know not to bother asking me for computer help, they'd occassionally ask me what an error means and I'll try answer it, but they know that they should just try and figure it out themselves.

Also is it sad that I almost immediately recognised what your sig was doing?

Masuri

Postby Masuri » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:05 pm UTC

Needless complexity.

photosinensis

Postby photosinensis » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:37 am UTC

Masuri wrote:Needless complexity.

Along those lines, your mom. :)

People who think they know something about computers because they used one that required punch-cards to program back in the early 70's, when in reality, they haven't kept up with the times and now struggle to do anything more difficult than using a graphical text editor.

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:02 am UTC

photosinensis wrote:People who think they know something about computers because they used one that required punch-cards to program back in the early 70's, when in reality, they haven't kept up with the times and now struggle to do anything more difficult than using a graphical text editor.

Of course, that begs the corollary: People who think they know something about computers because they remember all the way back to Windows 98, aren't sure what a command line is and have no idea that you don't have to have a "web authoring suite" to make and upload a simple web page. But they are certain that the people on whose shoulders they stand are very stupid.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:14 am UTC

Hammer wrote:Of course, that begs the corollary: People who think they know something about computers because they remember all the way back to Windows 98, aren't sure what a command line is and have no idea that you don't have to have a "web authoring suite" to make and upload a simple web page. But they are certain that the people on whose shoulders they stand are very stupid.

Hell yes! I can't stand people who think they are 'computer literate' because they can point a little hand at pictures of things. Literate implies words, people.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:15 am UTC

zenten wrote:
rrwoods wrote:

Unfortunately that's close to the amount of clarification I'm willing to give. I work in support if that helps.

University helpdesk. I had that job once. Quit. Best thing you'll ever do. Go work at McDonalds. It pays better, the customers are smarter, your coworkers are smarter, and it looks better on your resume. Oh, and the work is more challenging.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

zenten

Postby zenten » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:37 pm UTC

wing wrote:
zenten wrote:
rrwoods wrote:

University helpdesk. I had that job once. Quit. Best thing you'll ever do. Go work at McDonalds. It pays better, the customers are smarter, your coworkers are smarter, and it looks better on your resume. Oh, and the work is more challenging.

Funny you should say that. But no, not a University helpdesk, just doing work for a small software company, that pays well, has regular work week hours, and has very very good benefits. Going to work at McDonalds means that my family goes from things being a bit tight with our first kid coming, to us being terrified.

Another pet peeve: Catching my dad (when I visit my parents) screwing around with the bios settings again. Although that's not as much as when the computer stops working after I *don't* catch him screwing with the bios settings.

WraithXt1

Postby WraithXt1 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:50 pm UTC

davean wrote:
WraithXt1 wrote:People who say "I could care less"

*fumes with anger*

I could care less.

But only a very little bit less.

I hate you so hard.

photosinensis

Postby photosinensis » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:13 pm UTC

Hammer wrote:
photosinensis wrote:People who think they know something about computers because they used one that required punch-cards to program back in the early 70's, when in reality, they haven't kept up with the times and now struggle to do anything more difficult than using a graphical text editor.

Of course, that begs the corollary: People who think they know something about computers because they remember all the way back to Windows 98, aren't sure what a command line is and have no idea that you don't have to have a "web authoring suite" to make and upload a simple web page. But they are certain that the people on whose shoulders they stand are very stupid.

Good point. I recently quit a job working helldesk for a webhost (no problems with the company/boss/anything, but my familial tendencies towards heart disease were acting up), and one of the most common questions I got was, "What kind of software do I need to make a webpage?" In fact, I think that was the number two question. The most frequent question, which I got at least once a shift, was "Do you allow adult content? It's not porn!" The company I worked for actually believed in the principles of freedom of expression, save where we had to take stuff down due to copyright violations and where the person was expressing him/herself using child porn (which, when found, was handed to the authorities and shut down), so there was actually a lot of hardcore porn on our servers.

Bringing this back on topic, I absolutely loathe support tickets that have "URGENT!!!" as the subject line. This is particularly annoying when they filed a ticket five minutes earlier about the same thing, and what they really want is something trivial that any customer with half a brain should be able to do him/herself. Of course, the second ticket contained another pet peeve: claiming to loose millions of dollars while the first ticket went unanswered, even though the person had absolutely no history with $company or running their business on the Internet.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:19 pm UTC

photosinensis wrote:Of course, the second ticket contained another pet peeve: claiming to loose millions of dollars while the first ticket went unanswered, even though the person had absolutely no history with $company or running their business on the Internet.

I'll second that one. "Fix it now! I'm losing x thousand dollars a minute!" As if that'll make help come sooner. On the other hand, I do remember one job I had where people were calling up like that, and telling the truth. We could see the figures from our end, but the problems was out of our hands entirely.

WraithXt1

Postby WraithXt1 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:11 am UTC

Oh hey, I remembered to post this one.

People that want to talk to me while I'm taking a piss. Quess what? If I wanted to talk I'd wait for you outside, I dont fricking saunter up to you and start pissing next to you while making small talk.

I hate hate hate that. I'm standing there pissing and some dude walks in "HEY BRANDON" and walks over next to me. GET AWAY FREAK, I'M PISSING.

Return to “Religious Wars”