stop walking on the escalators

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26453
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:36 am UTC

Yes, I am aware.

The point is that realistic numbers 10 or 100 times greater can actually make quite a bit of difference.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

speising
Posts: 2272
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:54 pm UTC
Location: wien

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby speising » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:17 pm UTC

on the one escalator i use in an upwards direction every day, i need 1 minute standing, and 30s walking. 30s savings is not much but it's something, and i feel just dumb standing around idly for a minute.

jewish_scientist
Posts: 917
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:15 pm UTC

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby jewish_scientist » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:32 am UTC

I am just wondering, but most of the escalators I have been on were next to or near stairs. If someone has a hard time climbing stairs, the amount of time saved on the escalator is very significant. If a person can climb the stairs, I doubt that the time saved would amount to more than a couple seconds.

I think that the most efficient system would be to have everyone ride the escalator when there is no congestion. When there is congestion, people who walk would take the stairs. This would relieve congestion, because stairs never get clogged, assuming that people are not trying to go both ways.
"You are not running off with Cow-Skull Man Dracula Skeletor!"
-Socrates

User avatar
eviloatmeal
Posts: 562
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:39 am UTC
Location: Upside down in space!
Contact:

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby eviloatmeal » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:54 am UTC

jewish_scientist wrote:I am just wondering, but most of the escalators I have been on were next to or near stairs. If someone has a hard time climbing stairs, the amount of time saved on the escalator is very significant.

And if someone is in a wheelchair or iron lung, they can't use either, which is why, in most cases, there is an elevator where there are escalators. The elevator is the correct device to combine with the action of standing still. Sure, you can walk around in a little circle inside the elevator, if it's not full. But it won't get you anywhere any faster unless you walk at near the speed of light or something.

jewish_scientist wrote:This would relieve congestion, because stairs never get clogged, assuming that people are not trying to go both ways.

That's a rather dangerous assumption. You're talking about people here. There's bound to be someone trying to walk down a flight of up stairs. Also, stairs get clogged just as much as any other bottleneck.[citation needed]
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Image
Riddles are abound tonightImage

WilliamLehnsherr
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:58 am UTC

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby WilliamLehnsherr » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:07 am UTC

When I'm dictator, one of my first acts will be enforcing the "stand on the left, walk on the right" principle (because I'm Australian we overtake on the right, so despite what Izawwlgood said not everyone in the world stands on the right and walks on the left).

Seriously, on some really long escalators walking saves a fair amount of time. But often times there's someone who has decided that not only do they want to stand but they don't even want to stand on the left.

Derek
Posts: 2178
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:15 am UTC

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby Derek » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:18 pm UTC

WilliamLehnsherr wrote:When I'm dictator, one of my first acts will be enforcing the "stand on the left, walk on the right" principle (because I'm Australian we overtake on the right, so despite what Izawwlgood said not everyone in the world stands on the right and walks on the left).

According to Wikipedia in the UK walkers pass on the left on elevators, despite the driving laws.

WilliamLehnsherr
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:58 am UTC

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby WilliamLehnsherr » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:15 am UTC

Well, as long as there is a defined walking side I'm happy.

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3808
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:04 am UTC

My blood approaches its boiling point when I see people riding an escalator or moving sidewalk instead of using it to actually go faster than it would take to walk up stairs. I always walk on them when I can and will never change my ways! Hmph!
Last edited by Giant Speck on Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

mousewiz
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:50 pm UTC

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby mousewiz » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:54 pm UTC

If there are not stairs beside the escalator, I can appreciate the desire to walk up the escalator. It makes you go faster, which is sometimes desirable. But if there are stairs beside the escalator, and you want to go fast, then you should probably just run up the stairs rather than walk up the escalator. Reasons:

1) Running on the escalator is typically not an option, as it typically fills up faster than the stairs by a fair bit.
2) Running is an order of magnitude faster than escalator, dwarfing any speed gains granted by adding running to the use of an escalator
3) This might be contentious, but I feel I run faster on stairs due to not having to change my stride at the top / bottom, and also being able to better match number of stairs skipped to my stride (due to stairs being both a couple inches shorter, and a couple inches shallower

Anyways, I find I walk significantly faster than most people, and I feel that if most people learned how to walk at more than a turtle's pace, they probably wouldn't feel the need to save an extra 5 seconds on the escalator (or jaywalking or where ever else they're doing a poor job of optimizing).

speising
Posts: 2272
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:54 pm UTC
Location: wien

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby speising » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:00 pm UTC

running up stairs is not an option if you're not a teenager anymore. also, i believe i can walk up an escalator faster than the average person can run up stairs.

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3808
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:57 am UTC

I'm not sure how running got thrown into the conversation, but I wasn't talking about running up an escalator. I never do that and I don't expect anyone else to. I'm talking about walking at my normal, albeit quick, pace up the escalator to save time. The goal is to not have to change pace but still get to my destination faster than if I were walking up stairs. It's the same goal as using a moving sidewalk rather than just walking along the floor beside one.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

User avatar
eviloatmeal
Posts: 562
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:39 am UTC
Location: Upside down in space!
Contact:

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby eviloatmeal » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:00 am UTC

mousewiz wrote:1) Running on the escalator is typically not an option, as it typically fills up faster than the stairs by a fair bit.
2) Running is an order of magnitude faster than escalator, dwarfing any speed gains granted by adding running to the use of an escalator
3) This might be contentious, but I feel I run faster on stairs due to not having to change my stride at the top / bottom, and also being able to better match number of stairs skipped to my stride (due to stairs being both a couple inches shorter, and a couple inches shallower

That requires more effort than walking. The desire is to spend the same amount of effort for a shorter time. Sure, you could run up a set of stairs instead of walking up an escalator, if your goal was to get from A to B as fast as possible - but that's not always the goal.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Image
Riddles are abound tonightImage

User avatar
ThirdParty
Posts: 323
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:53 pm UTC
Location: USA

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby ThirdParty » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:57 pm UTC

The correct way to ride an escalator is by walking. Walking gives you free exercise, allows you to reach your destination sooner, reduces electricity consumption, and averts congestion at a potential chokepoint. You should only stand if you are physically unable to walk.

If you do choose to stand, do your best to avoid getting in other people's way. The details of how to do this depend on the exact configuration of the stairs and escalators, and on the behavior of other members of the crowd. However, the essential point is that if you get in someone's way and are not disabled, you are at fault. "I was standing to the right" is not an excuse if the left was clogged for some reason.

Izawwlgood wrote:You don't have to complain. You can literally just tap them on the shoulder and say 'Excuse me!' and politely and calmly walk on by.
Sometimes you can't reach the person who is blocking traffic, because of all the other people piled up behind him.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:15 am UTC

ThirdParty wrote:Sometimes you can't reach the person who is blocking traffic, because of all the other people piled up behind him.
Izawwlgood wrote:You don't have to complain. You can literally just tap them on the shoulder and say 'Excuse me!' and politely and calmly walk on by.

I don't see the problem here?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

billy joule
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:14 am UTC

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby billy joule » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:42 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
ThirdParty wrote:Sometimes you can't reach the person who is blocking traffic, because of all the other people piled up behind him.
Izawwlgood wrote:You don't have to complain. You can literally just tap them on the shoulder and say 'Excuse me!' and politely and calmly walk on by.

I don't see the problem here?


The problem is you look like a crazy person/arsehole when you shout at someone 6 places ahead of you.
Some people have trouble saying excuse me from 1m away let alone 5m.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:21 pm UTC

You look like a crazier person blocking a row of people in the side of an escalator where everyone is clearly walking. Again, all you have to do is respectfully say "One side please". If they don't hear you, say it a little louder. If the offending person is blabbing on their phone and ignoring a building line of walkers behind them, some of which are asking them to move aside, THEY look the fool.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Neil_Boekend
Posts: 3220
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:35 am UTC
Location: Yes.

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:33 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:You look like a crazier person blocking a row of people in the side of an escalator where everyone is clearly walking. Again, all you have to do is respectfully say "One side please". If they don't hear you, say it a little louder. If the offending person is blabbing on their phone and ignoring a building line of walkers behind them, some of which are asking them to move aside, THEY look the fool.

They may look the fool, that doesn't mean I wouldn't FEEL the fool.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:32 pm UTC

I don't understand what you're getting at here. Are you suggesting you have social anxiety and cannot communicate with a stranger in public when they are violating basic social etiquette? If yes, I truly sympathize, but I haven't seen a suggestion for how to deal with 'strangers violating basic social etiquette', and indeed, a strange prohibition against walking on escalators seems the angle to try and solve this anxiety from.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

mousewiz
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:50 pm UTC

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby mousewiz » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:54 pm UTC

speising wrote:running up stairs is not an option if you're not a teenager anymore. also, i believe i can walk up an escalator faster than the average person can run up stairs.

I'm not sure of your definition of teenager, but at 30, I have no trouble running up the stairs *much* faster than walking on the escalator.

Giant Speck and also essentially eviloatmeal wrote:I'm not sure how running got thrown into the conversation, but I wasn't talking about running up an escalator. I never do that and I don't expect anyone else to. I'm talking about walking at my normal, albeit quick, pace up the escalator to save time. The goal is to not have to change pace but still get to my destination faster than if I were walking up stairs. It's the same goal as using a moving sidewalk rather than just walking along the floor beside one.

My point isn't that you should try to get from A to B quickly. My point is that if you wish to get from A to B quickly, worrying about walking vs standing on the escalator should be the least of your concerns. It saves several seconds in a trip that is presumably at least several minutes. If you want to, and can, walk on the escalator, then go ahead and do so, but if other people are standing on it blocking your way, you probably shouldn't spend energy worrying about it. Expend that energy just walking faster when you're off the escalator and you'll more than make up for it. Insisting on always having the ability to walk on the escalator is a miniscule optimization in your trip time and potentially comes at the expense of others. Totally not worth it.

Also, if the goal is to not change pace / spend same amount of effort, I counter with: walking up the escalator necessitates a change in pace and a greater amount of exertion as going up steps involves lifting your body weight while walking does not. As such, your goal is not met. Further, you can make that slight pace change/exert that extra effort at any point while walking in exchange for a speedier journey just by walking a little faster when there's not people in your way; there's no reason to insist that the escalator is the place to do it.

Moving sidewalks are a different discussion from most escalators as they are significantly longer than most escalators; on them, I concede that the cumulative time saved is totally worth walking for.

ThirdParty wrote:The correct way to ride an escalator is by walking. Walking gives you free exercise, allows you to reach your destination sooner, reduces electricity consumption, and averts congestion at a potential chokepoint. You should only stand if you are physically unable to walk.

Walking is barely exercise. You'll get more by randomly doing squats on the escalator. Additionally, if everyone walks on the escalator, everyone still hits the same choke point at the door/gate following the escalator as everyone is still going the same speed. Going faster than the walkers is the most consistent way to avoid the choke point; run up the stairs. Using the stairs (and also a giant list of other stuff first) seems like the proper optimization if you're worried about the electrical use.

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby Whizbang » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:03 pm UTC


User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:05 pm UTC

mousewiz wrote:...but if other people are standing on it blocking your way, you probably shouldn't spend energy worrying about it...


Or... just say 'excuse me'...

mousewiz wrote:Walking is barely exercise.
No, but walking on stairs is significantly closer to exercise.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby Whizbang » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:18 pm UTC

I have taken some steps to avoid the elevator.

mousewiz
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:50 pm UTC

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby mousewiz » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:35 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
mousewiz wrote:...but if other people are standing on it blocking your way, you probably shouldn't spend energy worrying about it...


Or... just say 'excuse me'...


Unless you run into them at the bottom of the escalator, and the rest of the escalator is clear sailing, it seems like by the time you force them to move, the trip will be basically over. Not that I ever stand around blocking the escalator, but I would be mildly annoyed with someone who felt the need to get me to move in order to save themselves a few seconds only to pass them again a few seconds later because they walk so very slowly.

mousewiz wrote:Walking is barely exercise.
No, but walking on stairs is significantly closer to exercise.


True, but if exercise is the goal, you can still get more while remaining stationary on the escalator. Or you can walk and do lunges on flat ground. Or whatever. "Free exercise" isn't a compelling reason to walk on the escalator as you can get free exercise anywhere you want.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:44 pm UTC

mousewiz wrote:Unless you run into them at the bottom of the escalator, and the rest of the escalator is clear sailing, it seems like by the time you force them to move, the trip will be basically over. Not that I ever stand around blocking the escalator, but I would be mildly annoyed with someone who felt the need to get me to move in order to save themselves a few seconds only to pass them again a few seconds later because they walk so very slowly.
I don't understand what you mean here.

If you get on an escalator, and someone right in front of you isn't walking, you just say 'Excuse me' and pass them. If they're at the top, and no one else is walking, they will soon be off and everyone will start walking, OR, you can just say "Excuse me" multiple times and progress at a walk.

If you're in a hurry and are walking, someone you have a head start on will not catch you. If they do, then c'est la vie. They aren't going to murder you dead because you passed them on an escalator and now they're passing you.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

mousewiz
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:50 pm UTC

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby mousewiz » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:57 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
mousewiz wrote:Unless you run into them at the bottom of the escalator, and the rest of the escalator is clear sailing, it seems like by the time you force them to move, the trip will be basically over. Not that I ever stand around blocking the escalator, but I would be mildly annoyed with someone who felt the need to get me to move in order to save themselves a few seconds only to pass them again a few seconds later because they walk so very slowly.
I don't understand what you mean here.

If you get on an escalator, and someone right in front of you isn't walking, you just say 'Excuse me' and pass them.

This is reasonable to me, provided you've got clear sailing ahead. If there are going to be more people in your way, it seems like more trouble than it's worth. It just seems like this would be a rare case.

If they're at the top, and no one else is walking, they will soon be off and everyone will start walking, OR, you can just say "Excuse me" multiple times and progress at a walk.

It's the "or" I disagree with here. Why inconvenience someone just so you can walk for the last few steps? Even if they're in the middle (rather than the top), it seems like by the time you get the "excuse me" out, and they figure out what's going on and move, and you resume walking, your gain does not seem worth their inconvenience.

If you're in a hurry and are walking, someone you have a head start on will not catch you. If they do, then c'est la vie. They aren't going to murder you dead because you passed them on an escalator and now they're passing you.

I don't think that most people who walk on an escalator are in any real hurry. I think they'd just like to get to their destination ever so slightly faster. But for some reason, they continue to walk slowly after leaving the escalator. People in hurries should be considering their options and choosing the quickest... the option that involves having to pause to say "excuse me" should probably be avoided. Also: mild annoyance != murderous rage.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:06 pm UTC

Oh, sure, I'm not suggesting that deciding to wait because you'd rather fiddle with your phone or zone out or whatever is *bad*, I'm saying that there are very few social situations where you are STUCK standing on an escalator. If it's rush hour and there's a huge crowd of people jammed together not walking, worming your way through the crowd might be more trouble than it's worth if you aren't in a dire rush. Similarly, if someone is, I dunno, weeping, or on crutches and trying to maintain balance, or holding onto a baby carriage while bobbling a crying kid, I'm not going to try and squeeze by.

Again, I'm mostly objecting to this notion that standing is faster, or that the presence of people in most circumstances means you couldn't possibly get by.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Grimbal
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:22 am UTC

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby Grimbal » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:53 am UTC

You can't ask all escalatonauts to walk. Some people carry luggage. Escalators were made for these people.

I doubt that that walking up increases the throughput. Walking people leave more space than standing people.

And if by law all people walk, there will be people requesting to reserve the left side for people who run. Some people will be late, they will need to run the escalators up, and there will be these walkers slowing them down ... that cannot not be allowed! Walkers should use only the right side.

The solution would be a split escalator. Like a normal escalator, but the left side goes faster than the right side. So, people who are in a hurry can stand on the left lane even if they carry luggage, and people who are in the subway just for leisure can stand on the right side and enjoy the view.

Tyndmyr
Posts: 11354
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:52 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:But how do you accommodate people walking down the escalator?

Also, maybe it is just where I live, but I've never seen an escalator so congested that there wasn't ample room on it any any given time.


This. If you have persistant congestion around the escalators, there's probably a design issue at play, like too much crap in the area where people get on and off the escalators. You shouldn't usually see significant delay at escalators if they're laid out right. If they act as a major bottleneck, the overall system needs attention, not merely twerking walking/not walking.

User avatar
hotaru
Posts: 1041
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:54 pm UTC

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby hotaru » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:25 pm UTC

Grimbal wrote:You can't ask all escalatonauts to walk. Some people carry luggage. Escalators were made for these people.

no, that's elevators. elevators were made for those people who aren't capable of walking up stairs.

Code: Select all

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

User avatar
WanderingLinguist
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 5:14 pm UTC
Location: Seoul
Contact:

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby WanderingLinguist » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:12 am UTC

Okay, time to jump in to the fray ^^

I agree with the op: People should stand two-by-two on the escalator.

In Seoul, where I live, there are some crazy long escalators. One particularly long one, I'd estimate covers about six stories (I don't know exactly how long it is, but it is very, very long).

Take the stairs if you don't want to walk? Ha. Six stories of stairs is no small thing.

Take the elevator if you have luggage? Ha. The elevator holds at most 10 people, less with luggage, and there are hundreds of people PER MINUTE up that escalator, and hundreds more arriving on the subway platform every minute. And that's during the slow time.

During rush hours, even the short escalators get congested. If you can't keep the throughput up, people arrive on the platform faster than they can clear the escalator.

Walking on one side and standing on the other causes an uneven weight distribution which wears out the escalator mechanisms faster.

And because of the massive congestion, people walking past on the escalators someone cause accidents or injuries on the escalator.

For other countries and other cities, your milage may vary, and I don't have an opinion. But for Seoul, I agree with the OP. It's so much of an issue, they even have subway employees telling people to stand two-by-two at busy times. Which doesn't help: The stand-to-the-right habit is too strong.

User avatar
eviloatmeal
Posts: 562
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:39 am UTC
Location: Upside down in space!
Contact:

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby eviloatmeal » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:11 am UTC

WanderingLinguist wrote:The elevator holds at most 10 people, less with luggage
[...]
And because of the massive congestion, people walking past on the escalators someone cause accidents or injuries on the escalator.

I still think human nature and bad civil engineering shouldn't stand in the way of the theoretical optimal solution. I.e, just because there aren't enough elevators in your subway doesn't mean elevators aren't the best way to move luggage and their owners vertically. Just because some people like to stand around and cause congestion and accidents on escalators doesn't mean that walking is a bad idea.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Image
Riddles are abound tonightImage

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby azule » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:41 am UTC

Sometimes I take the stairs.




Fine. More: It's mostly a novelty thing where I live. I walk up the escalator about half the time. If I'm near the stairs, I walk up them half the time. Same difference, but these are not six stories or whatever length.

I hate being stuck if others aren't moving and I want to move, but just like the speed limit: if something is designed to work that way then I will try to relax as they use the thing properly. (The speed limit thing is that some people go over the speed limit and others don't. The "others" should never be honked at or tailgated if they are going the speed limit, even if you are in a rush.)
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:50 pm UTC

azule wrote:use the thing properly
You are aware that an escalator is a set of moving STAIRS yes?

What do people do on stairs?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby azule » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:30 pm UTC

It's a set of moving platforms. If it were to be an inclined conveyor belt, literally, with a flat surface, would this be safe or that well usable? Yes, it might be fun, though. ;)

They just appear to be stairs. They can even be used as stairs. (Again, with the speed limit analogy: Just because your car can go 65 around a corner in a residential area doesn't mean it's safe or encouraged if the speed limit is 35. If you go 40 or 45, you're probably okay, though. Just watch out for children and animals (as you always should).)

Do we have any info on what the inventor of the escalator thought of that aspect of his/her invention? (But even so, I might not change my opinion...)
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:51 pm UTC

Again though, they are stairs. It is not unsafe to walk up them. It does not expedite the process if everyone stands. Therefor, there is no reason to desire people stand instead of walk. At best, you can make an argument for why half of the escalator should stand, which is pretty typical.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
eviloatmeal
Posts: 562
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:39 am UTC
Location: Upside down in space!
Contact:

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby eviloatmeal » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:43 am UTC

azule wrote:If it were to be an inclined conveyor belt, literally, with a flat surface, would this be safe or that well usable?

Yes. Perfectly safe and perfectly usable. These are quite common in Norway (as well as in Thailand, judging by the image I found) in place of the "regular" stair type escalators, where space permits. They are absolutely fine to walk on, and you can even push shopping carts and strollers up and down them.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Image
Riddles are abound tonightImage

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby azule » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:08 am UTC

Izawwlgood, I see what you're saying (and probably why this thread was made). If it were implied that people stand on the left side and walk on the right side, that would be similar to the pedestrian implication of passing people on the right, just as is the law of the road for cars in America (and other drive-on-right countries). I'm for friendly agreements. But if it's not the law (or local rule) then people may stand without worry of upsetting people.

eviloatmeal wrote:
azule wrote:If it were to be an inclined conveyor belt, literally, with a flat surface, would this be safe or that well usable?

Yes. Perfectly safe and perfectly usable. These are quite common in Norway (as well as in Thailand, judging by the image I found) in place of the "regular" stair type escalators, where space permits. They are absolutely fine to walk on, and you can even push shopping carts and strollers up and down them.
Hah. I'm not exactly proved wrong because I was referring to inclined conveyor belts that are at the escalator steepness. Those ones you linked are rather drawn out and even completely horizontal at points. I forget my original point but those are definitely different. Unless I'm wrong. hah.
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:11 am UTC

azule wrote:Izawwlgood, I see what you're saying (and probably why this thread was made). If it were implied that people stand on the left side and walk on the right side, that would be similar to the pedestrian implication of passing people on the right, just as is the law of the road for cars in America (and other drive-on-right countries). I'm for friendly agreements. But if it's not the law (or local rule) then people may stand without worry of upsetting people.
Hurm? I'm all about letting people stand on one side and walk on the other, and I'm totally indifferent to which side it was.

The OP (who has not returned to further chat about this, granted) was talking about how EVERYONE should stand, because it's more effective or some gibberish. That's what I was disagreeing with.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
eviloatmeal
Posts: 562
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:39 am UTC
Location: Upside down in space!
Contact:

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby eviloatmeal » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:50 am UTC

azule wrote:I'm not exactly proved wrong because I was referring to inclined conveyor belts that are at the escalator steepness.

I don't see what steepness has to do with anything. It's just a question of space saving - if your escalator has stairs that are horizontal, then you can increase the incline and consequently reduce the horizontal length. If you have a flat surface to allow trolleys, then you make it slightly shallower so that heavy trolleys are less prone to rolling back down and crushing their operators.

On a side note, the shape of an escalator isn't particularly crucial to its operation. The modular nature of the steps seems to lend itself to goofy stuff, like the "up, flat, up, flat" in my previous picture, or these spiraling escalators that I got to walk on while visiting Vegas a few years back. They're in the shopping mall part of Caesar's Palace, if that wasn't evident.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Image
Riddles are abound tonightImage

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: stop walking on the escalators

Postby azule » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:44 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I'm all about letting people stand on one side and walk on the other, and I'm totally indifferent to which side it was.

The OP (who has not returned to further chat about this, granted) was talking about how EVERYONE should stand, because it's more effective or some gibberish. That's what I was disagreeing with.
You can't be totally indifferent to which side. In order for this to work, there has to an implied side. You could possibly snake your way up, but sometimes there's gonna be people side by side or vertical from each other and you can't pass. Anyways, pedantic solution.

I agree, I don't know why everyone standing would be a good thing. Maybe it was just a plea for order and that's the easiest one to implement.

eviloatmeal wrote:I don't see what steepness has to do with anything. It's just a question of space saving - if your escalator has stairs that are horizontal, then you can increase the incline and consequently reduce the horizontal length. If you have a flat surface to allow trolleys, then you make it slightly shallower so that heavy trolleys are less prone to rolling back down and crushing their operators.
I thought this was about standard escalators and therefore my statements are based on that. I'm sorry if I was off base, having not read the mid-pages.

eviloatmeal wrote:On a side note, the shape of an escalator isn't particularly crucial to its operation. The modular nature of the steps seems to lend itself to goofy stuff, like the "up, flat, up, flat" in my previous picture, or these spiraling escalators that I got to walk on while visiting Vegas a few years back. They're in the shopping mall part of Caesar's Palace, if that wasn't evident.
Thanks for sharing all those pics. They were neat.
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.


Return to “Religious Wars”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests