Cinematography Thread (Video/film creation)

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Moderators General, Prelates

F117Landers

Cinematography Thread (Video/film creation)

Postby F117Landers » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:34 pm UTC

Hello!

This thread is intended for the discussion of filming and video creation, editing, or something loosely related to aforementioned. Whether you are new to filming or a blockbuster producer (... although I doubt Christopher Nolan spends his afternoons reading xkcd fora), please feel free to contribute, discuss, or even ask questions!

Also, related threads:

Re: Cinematography Thread (Video/film creation)

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:52 pm UTC

OT:
F117Landers wrote:(... although I doubt Christopher Nolan spends his afternoons reading xkcd fora), please feel free to contribute, discuss, or even ask questions!

you need an email address to join a forum, which Nolan does not possess
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d ... man-352120
So it's somewhat shocking to learn that the man who came up with all those cool toys for Batman has no cell phone or email address.

Warner Bros. assigned Nolan an email at his office, and he didn't realize it until a couple years later.

"There were thousands of emails in this account -- some from quite important people, actually," he said. "I had them take it down, so people didn't think they were getting in touch with me."

:lol:

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:33 pm UTC

Warner Bros. assigned Nolan an email at his office, and he didn't realize it until a couple years later.

"There were thousands of emails in this account -- some from quite important people, actually," he said. "I had them take it down, so people didn't think they were getting in touch with me."

:lol:

How did they miss this? If I don't respond to emails within a couple days, I end up having a long conversation with my boss. Of course, I don't earn WB a ton of money.

Although the look on his face when he first opened his email must have been priceless.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:54 pm UTC

Thoughts on this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4Yan5Ws80c&feature=plcp

It was suggested I make the text scroll faster and do a voiceover read of it next time.

And still having encoding issues - why is it - and especially the photos which are very high resolution - sooo "pixilated"?

I'm very new to putting together videos, I'm just using the hd recording ability on my Lumix LX3 and Adobe Premiere to put it together. Sometimes lately I've just been wanting more than simply photos =)
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:09 am UTC

Sungura wrote:Thoughts on this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4Yan5Ws80c&feature=plcp

It was suggested I make the text scroll faster and do a voiceover read of it next time.

And still having encoding issues - why is it - and especially the photos which are very high resolution - sooo "pixilated"?

I'm very new to putting together videos, I'm just using the hd recording ability on my Lumix LX3 and Adobe Premiere to put it together. Sometimes lately I've just been wanting more than simply photos =)

I think it looks good. A couple thoughts:

-I thought the text ran at a nice pace, fast enough to not get too bored and slow enough for most everyone to catch. Perhaps you could start the music earlier, that may work (or the voiceover).

-For the pixelated images, I noticed that the max resolution on youtube for your video was 480p. This may be due to the video being in 4:3, or letterbox (the old video standard). I don't know too much about Adobe Premiere though.

-I agree on the wanting more than photos. I just bought anew camcorder so that I could get videos, but nothing as substantial as yours.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:45 pm UTC

Wow, Japan looks so crowded! I guess no surprise really. And that looks like a sweeeet camcorder, much better than my little thing, the audio on it sucks I bet that picks up everything!

I learned that my camera only records hd when set to 16:9 ratio which is why it was bad! The most recent video I did that I finished editing a few days ago I selected 16:9 for. Sadly didn't see your suggestions in time! You can see it here though....the still images seem a bit better for the mostpart - I resized them in Photoshop to use smaller sizes before the "fit to frame" in premeir, I think perhaps it's shrinkyencodingthingie just doesn't work well. Played around with speeding up video because I wanted to not cut some stuff (UK vertical caving is different from how we do it, so I didnt want to cut things) but it's boring to watch people climb. There are things I like more, and things I like worse, about this video.

Caving with Josh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhs7ypgLwrQ
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:07 am UTC

Sungura wrote:Wow, Japan looks so crowded! I guess no surprise really. And that looks like a sweeeet camcorder, much better than my little thing, the audio on it sucks I bet that picks up everything!

I learned that my camera only records hd when set to 16:9 ratio which is why it was bad! The most recent video I did that I finished editing a few days ago I selected 16:9 for. Sadly didn't see your suggestions in time! You can see it here though....the still images seem a bit better for the mostpart - I resized them in Photoshop to use smaller sizes before the "fit to frame" in premeir, I think perhaps it's shrinkyencodingthingie just doesn't work well. Played around with speeding up video because I wanted to not cut some stuff (UK vertical caving is different from how we do it, so I didnt want to cut things) but it's boring to watch people climb. There are things I like more, and things I like worse, about this video.

Caving with Josh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhs7ypgLwrQ

Tokyo is crowded, but they do a decent job of managing it. As for my camcorder's audio, it tends to pick up everything, including the AC and the fridge. Also, the computer. And cars. And any other minor noise in the area.

The caving looks fun. The doorway trick was cool; If you end up recording a situation where that is used, it may go well with the training.

I don't know too much about premier; Perhaps someone (hopefully) will join this thread and be knowledgeable.

Any upcoming videos?

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:31 pm UTC

Actually, yes! Did another video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBpimB4XIcA

I figured out the trick that I was missing as far as the quality being so messed up. When you start a project, you have to select the proper "container" for it of sorts. I thought this was how you were working, so I was always selecting one of the HD presets, and then outputting it as HD to keep it high quality. But no....you have to initially select - before you start your project - the "container" that matches the video that will be in it. So, even though the camera I used in this video doesn't do HD the quality of it and the photos used are still higher than some of the stuff I supposidly shot in HD but used the wrong HD preset for it. Lesson learned. There is no way of changing the "container" after you start the project (wtf? that's dumb programming, Adobe!) so I can't be arsed to fix prior videos. But from here on out, I am matching them. I must have just lucked out with my first video selecting the correct type. For some reason, selecting the right container also makes the still images be the proper quality so it fixes that issue.

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:09 pm UTC

I apologize; it's been a long day and I'm pretty tired. If I am not mistaken, you are saying:

-Select HD Container at start of project
-Container has to match added videos
-Cannot change HD Container after start
-The previous projects did not have the above setup
-Cannot fix previous projects due to container
-You have to select HD output at the end (Output video quality)
-Selecting the HD Container allows for higher resolution with stills

The video looks great; Seems a lot sunnier than the other rappelling trip that you made. I noticed that you commented on the camera shake; That will be unavoidable without a tripod or setting down the camera.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:21 am UTC

The previous videos I didn't know you had to pick the proper container from the start to process the video in, I just went with picking the highest quality. That was wrong. The starting container needs to match *exactly* how the video was taken to keep the quality, otherwise, quality will decrease. Odd, but whatever.

Yeah the camera shake was horrible for a few of the shots simply because I was litterally hanging in mid air with someone above me 700 feet up and lots of wind moving that rope!

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:55 am UTC

Sungura wrote:The previous videos I didn't know you had to pick the proper container from the start to process the video in, I just went with picking the highest quality. That was wrong. The starting container needs to match *exactly* how the video was taken to keep the quality, otherwise, quality will decrease. Odd, but whatever.

Yeah the camera shake was horrible for a few of the shots simply because I was literally hanging in mid air with someone above me 700 feet up and lots of wind moving that rope!

Well, it's good to hear that you discovered the root cause of the quality issue. Sorry that I couldn't be of help.

I wasn't meaning to be rude on the shake; I can hardly hold a camera steady as it is.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:35 pm UTC

F117Landers wrote:
Sungura wrote:The previous videos I didn't know you had to pick the proper container from the start to process the video in, I just went with picking the highest quality. That was wrong. The starting container needs to match *exactly* how the video was taken to keep the quality, otherwise, quality will decrease. Odd, but whatever.

Yeah the camera shake was horrible for a few of the shots simply because I was literally hanging in mid air with someone above me 700 feet up and lots of wind moving that rope!

Well, it's good to hear that you discovered the root cause of the quality issue. Sorry that I couldn't be of help.

I wasn't meaning to be rude on the shake; I can hardly hold a camera steady as it is.

No worries mate!

I should have more video in a bit over a week....Bridge Day is next weekend and we'll be rappelling that!!

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:09 am UTC

That looks awesome! I wish I could attend...

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:28 pm UTC

Okay...Bridge Day video. I think I'm getting better and better at this, slowly!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se6wy_l3oSA

Return to “Your art and links”