Blog About Paradoxes

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Moderators General, Prelates

Writergirl

Blog About Paradoxes

Postby Writergirl » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:59 am UTC

Hi guys! I write a blog about paradoxes, scientific and philosophical, at http://www.paradoxtalk.com . I just posted a funny one about the Crocodile Paradox, but most of them dive into some pretty deep concepts. From the God paradox to the Barber paradox, I draw these quirks of logic into a bigger picture.
Do you guys know any good paradoxes? I don't know much about computers, are there any I might be missing out on?
(This sentence is a lie.)
Thanks!

ucim

Re: Blog About Paradoxes

Postby ucim » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:48 am UTC

Some computer circuits depend on paradoxes. Look at the flip flop and the latch.

In analog circuitry, feedback loops are an... uh.... analogue of paradoxes. Feeding the output back into the input (sometimes reversed) damps or strengthens a signal.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:42 pm UTC

Look into Zeno's padadoxes (or paradoxen? ;)) many of which boil down to halving.

The Achilles/Tortoise one (swift Achilles will never catch the tortoise) sometimes gets incorrectly conflated by the arrow one (an arrow in flight is not moving) by Achilles loosing an arrow at the tortoise, instead. And the dichotomy paradox (to get somewhere, you must first get half way there, but to get half way there...) is also tied to both. But the solution to much of that boils down to integrals/summation of infinite sets, or even finitely as with his "sound of grains falling" one.

(I suspect that place and value and place/value thoughts from multiple sources gravitated in upon the name of Zeno due to the similarities.)

Which tangentially reminds me of the possibly at least as much speciously related (NPI!), but a different and more modern thing, is the existence of Ring Species, and what that means in defining what separate species are.

Writergirl

Postby Writergirl » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:58 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Look into Zeno's padadoxes (or paradoxen? )

Paradoxi?
Yeah, I love Zeno's stuff. I did cover it, but I did it in late December, so it has a distinct Christmas theme. I think I'll go back and edit it soon.
Ring species are new to me, though. I'll definitely take a look!

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:57 pm UTC

Writergirl wrote:Yeah, I love Zeno's stuff. I did cover it, but I did it in late December, so it has a distinct Christmas theme. I think I'll go back and edit it soon.

I got down to "First Post- the Preface Paradox", dated January, and that appeared to be the first, in reality as well as by title and timestamp. But the the blog-content server backend seems to do strange things in conjunction with my browser (having scrolled down to see that, the top of page article is now the Monty Hall one, not all the others I'd read down from), so maybe I just need to click things in sidelinks that I haven't yet bothered to click.. ;)

Writergirl

Postby Writergirl » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:19 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:I got down to "First Post- the Preface Paradox", dated January, and that appeared to be the first, in reality as well as by title and timestamp.

I initially posted everything on the blog in an Imzy community at http://www.imzy.com/paradoxes . I moved them over to a blog all at once when I realized I was basically acting like I had a blog, in something that wasn't a blog.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:58 am UTC

Writergirl wrote:Ring species are new to me, though. I'll definitely take a look!
I think it gets down to "calling something something" rather than "something being something". A thing is what it is, not what we call it. When we call it something, we abstract, abbreviate, and (things come in threes) butcher the actual concept in order to communicate what we find to be the key idea in the context we're using. But the thing doesn't care what we call it.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Return to “Your art and links”