Strange eating habits

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Decker

Strange eating habits

Postby Decker » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:22 pm UTC

One thing I noticed is that certain people eat their foods certain ways, and they don't always make sense.

I always scrape my fork over the top of my mashed potatoes before I eat them.
I crunch up my Ramen noodles really small when I cook them.
I eat chicken wings the exact same way every time.

Any of you have certain ways you eat certain foods?
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Amarantha

Re: Strange eating habits

Postby Amarantha » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:59 am UTC

I always smell food before I eat it.
I have to have a light on so I can see my food properly.
I'm sure there are other autistic ass-things I do with food, but I'm too tired to remember them right now.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:25 am UTC

I always call my mom autistic cus she smells her food--but I do it as an endearment. :P

I tend to save the best part of an item (say the top golden loveliness of a twice baked potato) for last. I tend to dissasemble foods or eat them in strange ways----Like for aero bars...I eat the bottom first to expose the bubbles so they melt better. I do not like when vegetables get mixed into my mashed potatoes...
Rice Puddin.

Force42

Postby Force42 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:31 am UTC

Rinsaikeru wrote:I always call my mom autistic cus she smells her food--but I do it as an endearment. :P

I tend to save the best part of an item (say the top golden loveliness of a twice baked potato) for last. I tend to dissasemble foods or eat them in strange ways----Like for aero bars...I eat the bottom first to expose the bubbles so they melt better. I do not like when vegetables get mixed into my mashed potatoes...

I disassemble food too...especially lasagna.

I also use, or at least try to use a fork when I'd really be better off with a spoon, except for soup. Chili, stew, occasionally ice cream, I'll eat with a fork. Soup, i have acknowledged, is, by its very nature too runny for a fork, though I have tried on occasion to eat it with one.

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 am UTC

I disassemble candy bars when possible, especially Twixes and Snickers.
I purposefully drain the milk from spoonfuls of cereal so that I may drink the milk later. I do something similar with pasta that has sauce. I eat the pasta, and then leave the sauce for last.
I tend to examine my food closely each time I take a bite (this stems from past experiences with not being able to spot bad food).
I let my ice cream melt and drink it while it's still frothy. :D
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:42 pm UTC

I used to love Twix bars, until the day I decided to eat the caramel off, chew the chocolate off, and then eat the biscuit/cookie part last. I was so offended at how very bad the cookie tasted that I stopped eating Twix at all. I felt cheated, like I had been given a piece of chocolate-covered cardboard and told it was a tasty wafer.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Matt

Postby Matt » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:04 pm UTC

I tend to do a lot of preparation to foods so I can portion them evenly and make sure every bite has the same amount of whatever it's supposed to have. Especially at breakfast, where the pancakes need to have an even coating of melted butter and the sausage is sliced into a sufficient number of pieces to match.

Sandwiches I make are usually excessively "neat"

I don't get people who take sandwiches apart and eat everything seperately, though. That's like portioning your Mai Tai, then thinking better of it and slugging back a shot of lime juice, a shot of orgeat syrup...
Hi. I'm from Massachusetts.

King of Frogs

Postby King of Frogs » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

I'm similar to that. Differing from someone above, I hate to dissassemble my food, I'm a bit neurotic about symmetry and balance, so I like the same balance of flavours in my mouth every time I take a bite.
The first one to fall asleep when the revolution comes.
Cheese wrote:We should never talk ever again. Ever.

michaelandjimi wrote:"No, cease your sexual activities! The communists will invade!"

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:25 pm UTC

Any time I bake a pepperoni pizza, the slices of pepperoni have to be spread evenly over the pie so each slice gets an equal amount.

Also, when I eat popcorn, I like to bite off the flayed-out bottom of each piece so that just the soft, rounded top part remains. Then I squish that part before I eat it.
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

I really like the half popped kernels....
Rice Puddin.

Decker

Postby Decker » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:47 pm UTC

I always smoosh my cold sandwiches flat before I eat them.

All my sandwiches (cold and hot) I "trim" before I eat them. I eat anything that's sticking out from under the bread.

When I cut a pizza, I try to get it that the knife goes in between all the pepperonis and whatnot instead of cutting them up.

Ysabeau

Postby Ysabeau » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:52 pm UTC

I really dislike it when I run out of a particular food on my plate, so I make sure I alternate between foods to keep a constant ratio of each. This is particularly evident when I eat at my favorite sushi place. I always get the same thing, and always in the same order. 2 california rolls for every salmon roll, then a bite of the rice pocket, repeat twice.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:47 am UTC

Allow me to join the neat sandwich/even pizza bandwagons.

When I order an affogato, I tend to save most of the coffee in order to wash down the rest. I really do not have a sweet tooth. I should just order an armagnac and an espresso and be done with it. And yet I keep ordering affogati. I wonder why that is.

When I make a cocktail with a salted/sugared rim, I spend some brainpower calculating the turn of the glass with each sip (or size of the sipgulp per turn) so that the salt/sugar is consumed in equal proportion to the drink. Why do I have to be so fond of margaritas and sidecars?

fishyfish777

Postby fishyfish777 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:27 pm UTC

clintonius wrote:Any time I bake a pepperoni pizza, the slices of pepperoni have to be spread evenly over the pie so each slice gets an equal amount.

I do that too. hmm.

I noticed I put salt on first, then pepper. I don't know why. Salt, then pepper.
Also, I eat off all the crust/outside of anything before going right into the good stuff inside. Conservatism.
And finally, I always eat pizza from the crust, too.

Bakemaster wrote:I used to love Twix bars, until the day I decided to eat the caramel off, chew the chocolate off, and then eat the biscuit/cookie part last. I was so offended at how very bad the cookie tasted that I stopped eating Twix at all. I felt cheated, like I had been given a piece of chocolate-covered cardboard and told it was a tasty wafer.

*tries*

Ugh. Blech.
Neon Rain wrote:And somehow we humans can invent scanning-probe microscopes that can "see" individual atoms, yet still can't invent a machine that can reliably scan tests not taken with a #2 pencil.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:33 pm UTC

When I'm dipping food into something sweet--like caramel or chocolate--I always try to be stingy in the begining and gradually increase the sweet aspect as I go.
Rice Puddin.

Azure_Twilight

Postby Azure_Twilight » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:04 am UTC

I always try to keep my foods as seperate as possible unless they're certain colors. Like red and brown can mix a lot of the time and green and yellow tends to go together well. Now that everything has all these artifical dyes though I have trouble making my system work. :(
I know it sounds really obssesive compulsive, but hey it tastes better that way for me. :D
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Asimov
"There was never yet an uninteresting life. Such a thing is an impossibility. Inside of the dullest exterior there is a drama, a comedy, and a tragedy." - Twain

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:47 pm UTC

Sandwiches should be cut into nonstandard shapes. I'm pretty sure I posted about this before... [Search function interlude] Here we go.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:08 pm UTC

When I make sandwiches for young children I always cut them into wacky shapes. Sometimes into strips --vertical or diagonal. Sometimes into squares or triangles (quartered either way). I don't eat bread, but if I did I'd continue doing that for myself too :D.
Rice Puddin.

GyRo567

Postby GyRo567 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:17 am UTC

Being mildly obsessive-compulsive, EVERYTHING I eat has its own pattern. If it's the first time I'm trying something, there will be a pattern that ends up being followed within the next several meals.
I came here to read a cool post, a witty dialogue, a fresh joke, but stumbled upon a "bump"...
Way to go, jerk...
~CordlessPen

anouk

Postby anouk » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:34 am UTC

I always have to flatten my mashed potato out with my fork until it is smooth and a only a couple of centimetres tall.
Someone say something funny please, I need a new signature.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:41 am UTC

I feel like the only stranger here, I happily mix everything I eat, or don't care if it mixes, it often makes a nice taste when it mixes! (like I found out scrambled eggs taste kind of nice after having a glazed donut sitting on them before I find a table to sit at!)

I guess maybe the only strange "eating" habit I have, is the fact that I won't eat food if I don't like how it smells, it might be the best tasting food ever, but if it smells in a way I don't like, I won't eat it (like this stuff my family makes, I don't remember what it's called but it's hispanic (I think, it's hard to seperate the hispanic from the filipino) and it involves pigs feet).

I guess another not quite so eating habity thing is, I fail at eating off plates, well I can eat off plates but I need to use my free hand to help get food onto my knife/spoon. So I prefer to eat out of bowls, I'll also either not cut certain things that are too big to easily place in my mouth, because it's too difficult to cut them fast enough, so instead I hold it down with my fingers and rip it open with my fork!

Allenr

Postby Allenr » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:09 pm UTC

I usually make mashed potatos into different shapes while I eat them. (make a squere, eat some, make a triangle, eat some, make a circle, eat some)

I also crush my ramen up as small as I can.
Spell check wanted.
Interview me!
Roĝer wrote:While bunnies taste better, nothing beats the desperate death cry of a puppy, especially when accompanied with the grinding of a chainsaw on canine bones.

Alder

Postby Alder » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:28 pm UTC

Force42 wrote:
Rinsaikeru wrote:I always call my mom autistic cus she smells her food--but I do it as an endearment. :P

I disassemble food too...especially lasagna.

I also use, or at least try to use a fork when I'd really be better off with a spoon, except for soup. Chili, stew, occasionally ice cream, I'll eat with a fork. Soup, i have acknowledged, is, by its very nature too runny for a fork, though I have tried on occasion to eat it with one.

Yes!!! I knew I couldn't be the only one!!!! I save the yummy cheesy top of lasagne, eat all the meaty stuff first, then the flavoursome pasta sheets, and go back to the pasty cheesy goodness to finish.
Soft centred chocolates - I eat off the top, then eat the centre, then the hollow chocolate shell.

By the way, I remember reading somewhere that ice cream, when it first became popular, was originally eaten with a fork. I can't remember where I saw it though...
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:13 pm UTC

How to eat rice crispies:
Pour rice crispies in a bowl.
Put a spoonful of sugar on top and mix it around.
Add milk down the side of the bowl until the crispies on the opposite side rise up slightly. (I don't like milk by itself, so that's just enough).
While eating, sort of scoop from where you added the milk, so you get some soggy ones from the bottom and the other dry ones on top.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

armandtanzarian

Postby armandtanzarian » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:08 pm UTC

Decker wrote:I crunch up my Ramen noodles really small when I cook them.

That always annoyed the hell out of me, because my flatmate does that too. Then one day he decides to just take the blender out and blend his ramen. It came out in a powder, and cooking it resulted in what can only be described as slush.

Yet, since I eat everything, my only habit is I refuse to eat dinner before 5pm.

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:13 am UTC

I hate 'wet' food like pasta with lots of sauce or juicy meat so I cook all my food until it is dry. I normally bake my meat in the oven and if I'm eating something that is too wet I will microwave it until it dries out. (eg. I have to microwave easy mac for ~10 minutes instead of ~3.)

I can't won't eat eggs, cauliflower or honey because the high sulfur content makes them taste blech >_<

I always put candy and chocolate in the freezer before I eat it.

That's about it. And if I'm with friends or whatever I will put my issues aside if I think it's going to offend / annoy someone (except the eating eggs thing 'cause they make me barf).
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:24 pm UTC

I prefer the chips that are folded over.
Rice Puddin.

kgirl06

Postby kgirl06 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:56 pm UTC

I "trim" my sandwiches and burgers as well. I tend to make sure everything is very neat on my plate.

With hot dogs, I take a bit out of one end, then turn it around and take a bite off the other end, then continue eating like that.

I won't eat hash browns without ketchup.

I eat everything from the outside-in, that way I get the most flavor in the last bite (like with a hamburger, I'll get a little of everything, instead of eating, say, all the pickles before I get to the last bite).

This one is only slightly food related, and I'm the only person I've ever met who does this... I ALWAYS drink out of straws when I'm eating out (that's not the unusual part). I always unwrap my straw first, then fold the straw wrapper up and put it next to the salt shaker (or the napkin dispenser if there is no salt shaker), and THEN I can take a drink. I absolutely loathe those little plastic straw wrappers that you can't fold. And most of the time, I don't realize I'm doing it, until someone points it out to me.

Oh yeah, and when I'm eating chips, I always place the "flavored" side (the side with the most seasoning or salt on it) to my tongue. I'm a fiend for flavor.
my friend Catherine says μ.

English lurks in dark alleyways, beats up other languages, and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Decker

Postby Decker » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:50 am UTC

I love nachos dipped in cheese, but I absolutely refuse to each nachos with cheese poured over them. Kind of the same story with French fried and ketchup, but it's more of a preference instead of a necessity.

Alder

Postby Alder » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:48 pm UTC

kgirl06 wrote:I eat everything from the outside-in, that way I get the most flavor in the last bite (like with a hamburger, I'll get a little of everything, instead of eating, say, all the pickles before I get to the last bite).

Yup, that one's a given. :D All round the outside edge first...
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

kgirl06

Postby kgirl06 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Alder26 wrote:
kgirl06 wrote:I eat everything from the outside-in, that way I get the most flavor in the last bite (like with a hamburger, I'll get a little of everything, instead of eating, say, all the pickles before I get to the last bite).

Yup, that one's a given. :D All round the outside edge first...

I was actually surprised when I found out that there are a LOT of people who do this. Many of my friends and family have pointed it out to me, saying that it's odd. I think my family and friends just don't understand the value of flavor. :-P
my friend Catherine says μ.

English lurks in dark alleyways, beats up other languages, and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:56 am UTC

I have a few strange eating habits as a result of a wheat allergy. One of them is a pb and banana sandwich without the sandwich. I melt about a tbsp of pb in the microwave and dip a banana in it.
Rice Puddin.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:31 pm UTC

CAUTION: TEXT WALL AHEAD

I fret about keeping an equal amount of each type of food on my plate at the same time. I also try to keep them separate until I take a utensil and grab a little of each, so I'm eating them mixed together but they remain separate on the plate.

Whenever I'm eating a food made up of several different foods, I always try to keep it together and stop it from falling apart; failing that, I take a fork and stab everything and eat it as described above.

With cookies or hamburgers, I try to eat all around the outside first and then eat until the last bite I take is the center.

I have a bad habit of leaving a single chunk of meat on the plate because I'm so full that if I eat it then I might explode like in Monty Python.

My M&M ceremony is elaborate:

Spoiler:
1. Pour a bowl of M@Ms- enough to last you for about five minutes or so.

2. Get a glass of water to stop from getting chocolate dehydration. Fill the cup up to the second-to-last line from the top on the water cup. Drink whenever you get thirsty.

3. Find which color has the least M@Ms of that color in the bowl. Count how many of that color there are.

4. Start with red. Eat red ones one at a time until the amount of red ones reaches the number you just found.

5. Do so with the rest, going down the list: Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Brown. Leave the lowest-number color alone.

6. Eat a red one. Then an orange one. Go down the list again, eating one at a time of each color.

7. You should be left with just one of each color. Go down the list again.

8. Wonder why it take you ten minutes to eat M&Ms.

Yes, I'm weird.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

drbhoneydew

Postby drbhoneydew » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:46 pm UTC

Where to start?

Custard Tarts - I nibble the top edge all the way round, then the pastry sides, then the pastry off the bottom before eating the egg custard in one go.
Similarly with port pies, which is a bit more of a challenge as I give them a few seconds zap in the microwave to melt the jelly.

Any sandwiched biscuits like bourbons: try to separate the top layer away from the creme. Eat the creme then the 2 layers.

Condiment order on Fish & Chips: Vinegar, Ketchup, Salt. Vinegar after ketchup means thinner ketchup, ketchup hides salt.

I could go on, but it only gets weirder...

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:43 pm UTC

I actually also eat M&Ms in a manner that leaves me with an equal arrangement of colors, when I'm eating a handful at once. Never done it with a whole bowl. And sometimes just to be cheeky I eat all of one color and continue sequentially with the rest.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:27 pm UTC

I do the same thing with any candy that comes in a multitude of colours. Though generally i just make a little graph on a plate or tabletop. Something like...3 reds high, 4 oranges high, 7 yellows high. Then I eat all the ones that are over the top of the smallest graph section. Then one from each column till done.
Rice Puddin.

Delta_50

Postby Delta_50 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:57 pm UTC

I have a tendency to chew (especially M&M's and Skittles) food so that both sides of my mouth chew an equal amount. When I do it with M&M's or Skittles i have to chew a equal amount of each color on each side so i often split the candies in half. I think surprisingly this is my only eating habit like this.

Return to “Food”