The Liquor Thread

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SurgicalSteel

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:03 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
Whitekiboko wrote:Kraken is so horrid it makes me want to punch the distillers. Doubly so for insulting cephalopods by association.

Huh?
This, combined with the accolades for Sailor Jerry in the next post, made me think I was in bizarro land for a second.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:38 pm UTC

I, TOO, SHOULD BE PIGMENTED USING THE WAX COLORING IMPLEMENT LABELLED "CONFUSED"
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:38 pm UTC

For the record: I find Kraken superior to Sailor's.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:50 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:This, combined with the accolades for Sailor Jerry in the next post, made me think I was in bizarro land for a second.

Jerry is a perfectly solid spirit. Especially so when it's typically being compared to that *other* spiced rum.

And Kraken is pretty Ok too. It's just that of all the things I can think to do with good rum, I'm always a little disappointed when people decide to spice it.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:36 am UTC

Azrael wrote:Jerry is a perfectly solid spirit. Especially so when it's typically being compared to that *other* spiced rum.

And Kraken is pretty Ok too. It's just that of all the things I can think to do with good rum, I'm always a little disappointed when people decide to spice it.
I kinda just think all spiced rum sucks... but I've never had Ron Zacapa.... Which I hear is pretty much the only one worth drinking. Other than that though I would rather have Bacardi than Sailor Jerry..... And I generally have such good taste in alcohol......
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:35 am UTC

Zacapa is not spiced, unless I'm very much mistaken.
He/Him/His/Alex

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:41 am UTC

I have not found a spiced rum that I'd want to drink neat, but I don't even think Captain Morgan's is so bad. It's alcohol with a flavor and you mix it indiscriminately with strongly-flavored other things. You don't make fancy cocktails with it. You put it in orange-papaya-banana juice blends and doesn't afraid of being sober. It's not usually something I want to do but neither is racquetball and I don't see a reason to hate on racquetball either.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:36 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:Zacapa is not spiced, unless I'm very much mistaken.

It is not. Nor, despite my typical grandiloquence on the spirit, is it the only one worth drinking.

And I agree with Bake. While I don't really like spiced, it has a use. If more people used it appropriately it wouldn't be a such a convenient puppy to kick.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:18 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:For the record: I find Kraken superior to Sailor's.

For the record: I find them different enough that I find it odd to call one superior to the other. It's like saying x brand of apple juice is better than y brand of pineapple juice. They're different enough that I wouldn't call one "Superior" to the other. I like both.

Sailor's is comparable directly to Captain What's-His-Name, and it's superior. And Kraken is more comparable to that Captain What's-His-Name tattoo stuff, and Kraken is superior.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:52 pm UTC

Speaking of rum... well, perhaps this rum I am about to speak of should not be spoken of when also speaking of Sailor Jerry, or Captain Morgan.

Let me start again. I have on my shelf, a bottle of Diplomatico's finest creation, The Ambassador.

The peak of the Diplomatico range, as created by Golden Barrel Awards 2011 Master Rum Blender of the Year, Tito Cordero. Ambassador is matured in ex-bourbon barrels before finishing for a couple of years in Pedro Ximinez casks to give a big, rich and fruity rum.

I have always been a fan of Diplomaticos - sure they're sweet, but they're all pretty good value for money. I'm not sure that applies to The Ambassador, but that's not what one looks for in a drink that comes in a velvet lined wooden case.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:24 pm UTC

I like sweetness, and recently finished my bottle of Kraken. I may well give the Diplomatico Exclusiva a try next time I choose a bottle of rum.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:50 am UTC

I just found out, and I've got to tell you all, well the Brits anyway.
Tesco stock Kraken now! only £22.50/70cl which, considering my first bottle set me back over £30, is a bargain, and the only other supermarket that I know stocks it is Sainsbury's where I never shop, so had to go out of my way to get it.
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/ ... =273925686

dshizzle

Postby dshizzle » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:35 pm UTC

Had some knob creek for the first time last night, the usual drink is Jack. All I can say is wow. Thanks for the tips fellas. :D
Reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled. - Feynman

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:26 pm UTC

Got a bottle of Hendrick's Gin for my birthday :)
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:23 pm UTC

dshizzle wrote:Had some knob creek for the first time last night, the usual drink is Jack. All I can say is wow. Thanks for the tips fellas. :D

Try Woodford Reserve at your next opportunity. Or better yet, Blantons. They're preferred compatriots of Basil Hayden's, which is a grown up version of Knob Creek.

If it's the aggressiveness of Knob that you like, look for Bakers or the far superior Bookers. All of them are hot, but each is certainly a trade up over the other. You might also try a decent rye whiskey if you liked Knob, as they tend to have a lot in common. Rittenhouse is often considered the gold standard rye (look for the 100 proof), although Redemption Rye is a surprising newcomer that I've kept on hand since it distribution first reached MA.

Oh, and if you like Jack, go looking for a bottle of George Dickel. It's a Tennessee like Jack that is generally considered superior in quality.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:34 am UTC

So, I've read that you should store wine on it's side if it has a real-wood cork so that the cork doesn't dry out and crumble into the wine or shrink and let in oxygen. Is there any reason not to do this for a bottle of scotch that has a real-wood cork?
--Flobots "Mayday"

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:46 am UTC

Scotch will eat the cork, ruining the whisky. Always store upright.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:09 am UTC

Also the issue with wine has less to do with crumbling or shrinking and more to do with the fact that cork, by nature, is not air-tight. If the bottle of wine is unopened (read: sealed with plastic, foil, wax, etc. in addition to the cork) there's no air transfer. Once you open it you only need to store it in such a way that the liquid in the bottle is in contact with the cork to prevent significant air transfer which will spoil your left-over wine more quickly. Hard liquor can be stored for a long time without turning to vinegar so the same issue doesn't really exist.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:28 am UTC

Both good things to know. Thanks.
--Flobots "Mayday"

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:40 am UTC

Liquor treated me really nicely Saturday night. :D
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:20 pm UTC

So, I liking mixing things with soda (especially Dr. Pepper*), but I'm trying to make some small efforts to reduce my sugar consumption. I like diet soda just fine, but does it work for mixing drinks? I'm worried that it might be overpowered by the booze.

*Root beer flavored Vodka mixed with Dr. Pepper is surprisingly awesome.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:06 pm UTC

Different people experience diet sodas differently enough that my best suggestion is to try it.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:50 pm UTC

I used to drink a lot of diet coke and vodka when going out. Its alright but in my experience the sugar version is always superior.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:41 pm UTC

Diet Coke and Rum is certainly enjoyable and tasty. Not as much as full sugar Coke and Rum, but still tasty and enjoyable.

Any drink made with diet tonic water, however, is not worth it IMO. Admittedly, the only diet tonic water I've tried is Polar.
--Flobots "Mayday"

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:18 am UTC

i'd say you can taste the alcohol through diet drinks slightly more, but you could just make them less strong.

Dr Pepper Zero is definitely more "weaker" than Dr Pepper, than Coke Zero for example, though.

if you want to drink to get drunk though, I suggest some really spicy diet ginger beer, sometimes I have Kraken with ginger beer and you can get pretty close to 50/50 before the alcohol flavour actually starts to kick in.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:16 am UTC

So, I bottled my Tequila Para Mi Amante tonight. The liquid is delicious, though next time I might try using blanco tequila instead of anejo. Anyways, I was wondering if the strawberries would be safe to eat. They've been soaking in tequila for three weeks, so it's not like any bacteria could grow on them right?
--Flobots "Mayday"

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:29 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:So, I bottled my Tequila Para Mi Amante tonight. The liquid is delicious, though next time I might try using blanco tequila instead of anejo. Anyways, I was wondering if the strawberries would be safe to eat. They've been soaking in tequila for three weeks, so it's not like any bacteria could grow on them right?

I should think they'd be fine.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:40 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:So, I bottled my Tequila Para Mi Amante tonight. The liquid is delicious, though next time I might try using blanco tequila instead of anejo. Anyways, I was wondering if the strawberries would be safe to eat. They've been soaking in tequila for three weeks, so it's not like any bacteria could grow on them right?

I should think they'd be fine.
And so they are. Wow, they're strong though.
--Flobots "Mayday"

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:44 pm UTC

I went to UK Rumfest at ExCeL in London on Saturday, fun was had, but boy was it busy. I wasn't really impressed by any of the rums to be honest, it's a shame Kraken wasn't represented there.
I had some Gosling's Black Seal with ginger beer, and that was probably one of the nicer drinks I had on the day, i tried some nice sipping rums but none stood out as better than Kraken, and I can't for the life of me remember what they were :lol:

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:32 pm UTC

Seconding/Thirding/Fourthing/whatever Hendricks as a really good G/T. Personally it's my favorite G/T, especially when you add a slice of cucumber.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:44 pm UTC

dubsola wrote: I have on my shelf, a bottle of Diplomatico's finest creation, The Ambassador.
I'm currently going through a bottle of their Reserva at an alarming rate. It's quite nice. I might have to give the Ambassador a try next time I have some extra cash.
He/Him/His/Alex

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:51 pm UTC

Teacher's Highland Cream (Scotch). Smells like fresh leather, goes down smooth, nicely smokey, $20 for 750. We may have a new favorite here people.
--Flobots "Mayday"

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:55 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Teacher's Highland Cream (Scotch). Smells like fresh leather, goes down smooth, nicely smokey, $20 for 750. We may have a new favorite here people.

Teachers and Famous Grouse are my favorite non-age blends. So much better than the J&B and Dewars of the world.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:21 am UTC

rrwoods wrote:Seconding/Thirding/Fourthing/whatever Hendricks as a really good G/T. Personally it's my favorite G/T, especially when you add a slice of cucumber.
As good as Hendricks is (and it makes an excellent martini), please try Caorunn if you get the chance, and have it with apple instead of cucumber.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:28 am UTC

Oh and just to let you all know that the second edition of Kilchoman's 100% Islay is - though you may struggle to believe it - even better than the first.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:07 pm UTC

I've been sipping on Kilchoman's sherry single-cask whisky. I could probably be satisfied just holding the glass and smelling it for an hour.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:30 pm UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:I've been sipping on Kilchoman's sherry single-cask whisky. I could probably be satisfied just holding the glass and smelling it for an hour.

Have you ever had A'bunadh? That stuff is like licking a sherry barrel.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

starslayer

Postby starslayer » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

So I ended up grabbing a bottle of Ron Zacapa 23. Not sure it deserves the "best rum EVAR" accolades it seems to have gotten, but it is indeed an excellent aged sipping rum.

Tasting notes:

Nose: Not much here. Very pungent and almost medicinal (one whiff reminded me a lot of rubbing alcohol for some reason). Maybe some cocoa or spice as well.

Body: Very smooth, buttery, rich, and oily.

Palate: Cocoa, coffee, and vanilla are the dominant flavors. Also some spice, and a little woody. Some butter, toffee, and nougat maybe?

Finish: Long. Starts off spicy, then comes in with a nice butter flavor. Fruity notes, almost like a fine wine, come in at the end.

All in all, a complex, excellent rum that is smooth as hell. Well worth the $50 it cost me. I still think I like Ron Pampero Aniversario better, but I haven't been able to get that in a while (I don't know if anyone in Ohio sells it; certainly not in Columbus). Would be interesting to do a side-by-side.

Next up: Talisker 18 and Springbank 10.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

starslayer wrote:Well worth the $50 it cost me.

Jesus, your stores are pricey. Runs $35-37 around here.

starslayer

Postby starslayer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:Jesus, your stores are pricey. Runs $35-37 around here.
Coming from California, Ohio liquor prices suck. Everything is at least $5-10 more expensive, and sometimes much more. Nobody competes on price, either, becuase it's all at the state minimum. I did manage to find the Flor de Cana white rum you recommended to me a while back, though, and that was very good too.

Return to “Food”