Cocktails

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Re: Cocktails

Postby Belial » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:17 pm UTC

I really expected it to be one of those things that is formulated for the appearance, and otherwise tastes completely vile, but it was entirely the opposite of that
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:31 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:I'm not sure that there are many definitions of cocktail that exclude mixed shots while including many popular cocktails.

If you really want to split hairs, the classical definition of a cocktail is a drink made up of spirits, sugar, water, and bitters. This excludes most drinks people call cocktails. So really, just call this the mixed alcoholic drinks thread and move on.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:41 am UTC

3 parts Pisco, 3 parts cranberry juice, 1 part dry vermouth, is actually not bad at all. If I had sweet vermouth I'd have tried that first but it seems to work. And I'm not that into Pisco.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:33 am UTC

My friend Civi and I are debating pr0n vs. going out for fancy cocktails.

I posit the following....
Going out for cocktails > pr0n because you can ACTUALLY stick your dick in a fancy cocktail. Technically.
(*you will almost certainly get kicked out of the fancy bar, and very likely be arrested.)
Belial wrote:I really expected it to be one of those things that is formulated for the appearance, and otherwise tastes completely vile, but it was entirely the opposite of that

It was formulated cuz it's delicious and just incidentally looks like that?
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:14 am UTC

Negroni: fuck yes.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:55 am UTC

Picked up another fifth of Boodles and a small bottle of Noilly Pratt, since we seem never to manage to finish the bigger bottles of vermouth before they go off. I still think Boodles works better with a twist but you know, it's not bad with an olive.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:12 am UTC

Do you refrigerate your vermouth? Mine seems to last forever, though I'm not really an expert on when it might go off...
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:19 pm UTC

I refrigerate mine, and use it as my default pan-deglazing wine, so it doesn't last that long. But there's still been some quality deterioration since I opened it, I think. It's not a 'bleauh, spoiled food' reaction; it just tastes a little less good than it used to.

You could get one of those wine-vacuum-preservation-things if you're picky about it.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:46 pm UTC

Yeah, like Nath said, it just gets not-great after a while, even in the fridge. I guess it might still be good enough to cook with at that point, though. Should have tried that with the last bit that went off.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:28 pm UTC

Nath wrote:I refrigerate mine, and use it as my default pan-deglazing wine...

Why have I not been doing this?

Oh, right. Vaya is $25 a bottle.

By the way guys, it is so incredibly worth it.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:27 pm UTC

Arise, cocktail thread!
It's time for summary cocktails!

I recently made some Orgeat, and it is summetime in california, so it's tiki cocktail time!

Classic, oldschool Mai-tai
1½ oz aged rum (Jamaican if you have it)
½ oz fresh key lime juice (save a spent lime half, double amount of juice if using non-key-lime)
½ oz Cointreau (Grand Marnier will do)
½ oz Orgeat (home-made or a good quality one, yes this is important)
barspoon cane syrup (I make my rich simple syrup (2:1 sugar:water) out of raw cane sugar, so it's darker and has more flavor)

Add all these ingrediants into a shaker with ice (including the spent lime half), do the typical shake thing, pour entire conents into a double old fashioned glass, or a similar squat glass. garnish with a mint sprig.

Sit in the shade on a hot day, sip. With just the right combo of ingrediants you can picture youself on a beach under the shade from a palm tree.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:09 pm UTC

Thanks for the reminder that it's mint julep time again next week!

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu May 08, 2014 5:08 pm UTC

leftover tequila from cinco de mayo has brought rise to many a tequila cocktail at my household.

riff on a classic: Yucatan Firing Squad (based on a mexican firing squad, with the grenadine replaced in favor of a seville orange simple syrup)

Shake the following:
2 oz Reposado tequila
3⁄4 oz Lime juice
3⁄4 oz Seville orange syrup
2 ds Bitters, Angostura

Strain into a lowball glass (or double old fashioned glass), top with soda water, garnish with lime wedge

The name comes from the seville orange syrup swap, seville oranges (sour oranges), are common in the Yucatan region's cusine.

Enjoy!
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri May 09, 2014 4:19 am UTC

I wish I could find them. I believe they're also the oranges that are used in making marmalade, and I wouldn't mind trying my hand at some homemade orange marmalade (but yes also cocktails, and other things).

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri May 09, 2014 4:42 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:I wish I could find them. I believe they're also the oranges that are used in making marmalade, and I wouldn't mind trying my hand at some homemade orange marmalade (but yes also cocktails, and other things).

These are indeed the ones they use to make marmalade, and traditionally for most cooking applications, as they still retain that "fresh orange" smell and taste when cooked, unlike sweet oranges, which get a "cooked" and bitter flavor. I'm surprised you can't find some around. You could talk to your local fruit vender at a local market to see if he could ship some in for you, they are very hearty trees, and will grow most places. Another option is to talk to the local chapter of the rare fruit growers society (at least, in the US, I'm sure there is a similar thing in other countries)

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon May 12, 2014 4:28 am UTC

Well, I haven't really made a concerted effort to locate them, either. If you can get them in Oakland, I'm sure I can get them in Sacramento.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:47 am UTC

Picked up some orange bitters, and threw a dash into a 3:1 martini with a twist. I now finally understand why people drink martinis.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:51 pm UTC

As the weather cools down (well, cool for here) It's time for hot drinks.

Pirate Coffee (clearly a riff on an Irish coffee)
2oz Dark Spiced Rum (Kraken works well for this)
1-2 cube Turbando Sugar (or 1-2 tsp other unrefined cane sugar, to taste)
4oz Hot Strong Coffee (Freshly brewed of course, I do a pourover)
1-1.5oz heavy cream

0. Glassware: Irish coffee glass (or other approx 8oz glassware, I use an old fashioned glass)
1. Pour the coffee over the sugar, stir to make sure it is fully dissolved
2. Pour in rum, stir.
3. Shake cream to airate (I use a cocktail shaker for this, shake like you would a cocktail, but for half the time)
4. Float shaken cream on top of drink using the back of a spoon, so that the cream sits on top like the head on a guinness.
5. Drink.

mat.tia

Postby mat.tia » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:51 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:Negroni: fuck yes.

Moscow mule: ginger beer, ginger juice, lime juice, diced cucumber, ice, vodka.

This thread causes an unhealthy curiosity.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:53 am UTC

Whenever I go to fancy bar in the city, I've been ordering Old Fashioned with Eagle Rare bourbon. It is amazing.

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:54 am UTC

Don't think this one has a name, but it's tasty:
  • 1.5 oz bourbon. I'm using Old Weller Antique (107 proof wheater).
  • 1/3 oz lime juice.
  • 1 generous teaspoon (~1/5 oz) maple syrup. I'm using grade A dark.
  • 1 tsp (1/6 oz) fernet (I'm using Branca).
  • 3 dashes of orange bitters.
Shake and pour into a chilled tumbler, ice and all. It's nice; like one of those tropical tiki drinks meets a Toronto. I think I'm going to have to name this one.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:21 pm UTC

Sounds tasty Nath!

Continuing on the "rum versions of non-rum drinks" thing I'm apparently doing:

old pirate
(Riff on an old fashioned, crossed with and old navy grog recipe)
  • 1/2 a key lime
  • 1/2 a barspoon of raw sugar (or raw simple syrup) [to taste]
  • 2-3 splashes of aromatic bitters
  • ice
  • well aged (barrel aged hopfully) rum.

In an old fashioned glass, muddle the key lime, sugar, and bitters. Fill glass with ice, pour in a measure of rum. Stir with barspoon. Drink.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:24 am UTC

That sound great, but I don't know how you can call it a riff on an old fashioned when none of the ingredients are the same. That's a dark mojito with bitters instead of mint. It's clearly more tiki than whiskey in origin.

I've had several really excellent rum old fashioned. They've all had vermouth of some nature, and no lime or sugar.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:45 am UTC

Azrael wrote:I've had several really excellent rum old fashioned. They've all had vermouth of some nature, and no lime or sugar.

Vermouth? Wouldn't that be a rum Manhattan? (Or maybe a rum Martini?)

old Old Fashioned = liquor, muddled {sugar, bitters}. maybe with a twist of something.
new Old Fashioned = liquor, muddled {sugar, bitters, orange slice, maraschino cherries}.

I had a good rum old-fashioned on a cruise ship... Bacardi 8, Angostura bitters, simple syrup, maraschino cherries, orange twist. nothing muddled, though.

I'd probably call Freezeblade's drink a Tiki Old-Fashioned, if it needs a name (and doesn't have one somewhere already.)

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:58 am UTC

The ingredients are identical to the old-school Planter's Punch (before folks started adding grenadine and such). The only difference is that the lime is muddled in the glass instead of just squeezed in, but that seems like a pretty superficial difference.

But there are so many rum + lime + sugar drinks. I guess you could call it a caipirinha with aged rum instead of cachaça, plus bitters. Or even a daiquiri variant. Or a Captain's Blood.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:46 pm UTC

It does seem almost exactly the same as a captain's blood, depending on which recipe from online you use. the top google search for me on it is rum, bitters, sugar, lime juice. From now on I might just call it a captain's blood, rocks.

I should specify that I follow the more old-style old fashioned, that is just whiskey with muddled sugar, bitters, and a citrus peel of some sort, I've seen it pretty commonly with either orange or lemon, but grapefruit zest isn't unheard of in variants here. In this capacity, the ingrediants are nearly the same.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:20 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:
Azrael wrote:I've had several really excellent rum old fashioned. They've all had vermouth of some nature, and no lime or sugar.

Vermouth? Wouldn't that be a rum Manhattan?

Aww, crap. Yes.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:20 am UTC

Had a Last Word yesterday. Or whatever it's called when you use Genepy instead of Chartreuse. I liked it a lot more than the other sour drinks I've had with Maraschino -- the Aviation (sans Yvette) and the Final Ward (Last Word with rye and lemon instead of gin and lime). Could just be the proportions, but maybe Maraschino just goes better with lime than lemon.

Anyway, Last Word. Good drink.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:01 am UTC

Nath wrote:Had a Last Word yesterday. Or whatever it's called when you use Genepy instead of Chartreuse. I liked it a lot more than the other sour drinks I've had with Maraschino -- the Aviation (sans Yvette) and the Final Ward (Last Word with rye and lemon instead of gin and lime). Could just be the proportions, but maybe Maraschino just goes better with lime than lemon.

Anyway, Last Word. Good drink.

Last Words are indeed good. And easy to make; I like equal-parts drinks. Juice one lime, measure it, dump the same amount of the other three ingredients into the shaker. That's a recipe I can handle after drinking a couple Last Words. :mrgreen:

I've got the ingredients for Aviations on hand as well, including the Creme de Violette. Which I have to think of as an investment... at the rate I'm going through it, the nearly-full bottle will be part of my estate. (The current version of Yvette apparently isn't the right color to make sky-blue Aviations; you need Violette.)

I really like the Aviation recipe I pulled from eGullet (I think?)... 2oz Plymouth gin, 3/4 oz lemon juice, 2 teaspoons maraschino, 1 teaspoon violette. The gin brand matters (or gin style; apparently Plymouth is a "Plymouth-style" gin)... I don't like this nearly as much with the more juniper-heavy and assertive "London Dry" brands.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:53 pm UTC

I'm going to be making Gin Fizz and Brambles at a party next week. Any advice for using egg whites?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:03 pm UTC

Raw egg isn't that risky in most Western countries, but if you want to serve raw egg drinks to the risk-averse or immune-compromised, I hear that pasteurized or powdered egg whites work pretty well.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:07 pm UTC

Oh, I'm not worried about the risk. Just wondered if there were any tips for using the actual whites.

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:19 am UTC

You mean, maximizing the foam? I've heard of people adding the spring from a Hawthorne strainer or the mesh ball from a protein shaker during the dry shake, and then removing it for the second shake (with the ice). Some people also use those milk frother wands used for espresso drinks (not the steam based ones), instead of dry-shaking.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:47 am UTC

Double-posting for PSA: equal peaty Scotch (Ardbeg 10) + Luxardo Maraschino + Genepy (Dolin) + lime juice = tastiness. Based on the Pete's Word cocktail, which had Laphroaig 10 instead of Ardbeg, and Green Chartreuse instead of Genepy.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:08 pm UTC

Nath wrote:Genepy (Dolin)

As an aside, damn is that stuff tasty.
I've mostly been having it with a few ice cubes, sipped as a nightcap. Bottle is about half gone now.

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:32 am UTC

El Dorado 12 makes a pretty nice Mai Tai.

Jana111

Postby Jana111 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:31 am UTC

my fav one is aperol spritz, especially when I drink it in Italy :)

Return to “Food”