Coffee

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Nath

Re: Coffee

Postby Nath » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:16 am UTC

Arariel wrote:I drank a cappuccino Blizzard they serve at DQ the other day. It was a very sugary bout of agony I could only finish half of.

Looking at the nutritional info, that's probably for the best. I love how the ingredients include 'latte powder', which is different from milk powder in that it is mostly sugar and partially hydrogenated fats.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:43 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
dubsola wrote:Compost doesn't like too much coffee, so don't worry.
Really? How so?

I'm not sure actually, I asked a barista from Monmouth whether they composted their grounds, and they said no. I can't remember why, and the internet isn't providing any information to support that, so maybe I'm wrong.

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:58 pm UTC

I'm so very glad to be back in a town where I can get good coffee. I spent the last 5 days in north Jersey and Long Island and I got really sick of Starbucks. If there's one thing they're bad at, it's coffee. Sugary drinks are their forte, they should stick to that. And I drink my coffee black so there's no way to really cover up the bad taste, but I drank it out of necessity, not desire.
I'm addicted to bad ideas, and all the beauty in this world.

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:49 am UTC

Does anyone here do any roasting? I'm thinking about picking up a Whirley-Pop and a camping stove and giving it a shot.

psykx

Postby psykx » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:04 pm UTC

has anyone tried bulletproof coffee http://www.bulletproofexec.com/coffee/ ?
Berengal wrote:Only if they're killer robots. Legos are happy robots. Besides, even if they were killer robots it wouldn't stop me. You can't stop science and all that.

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:06 pm UTC

Nath wrote:Yep, unfiltered coffee (French press etc.) is rich in cafestol and kahweol, which are known to raise LDL quite significantly. Paper filters do not let these substances through. There's been a lot of work backing this up -- you can probably find more studies if you're not convinced.

I did not need to know this. :-\
Well, I guess I *do* need to know this, but I did not want to know this. (My cholesterol is commonly refered to as "the highest I've ever seen" by doctors.)
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

Blackdomino

Postby Blackdomino » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:38 pm UTC

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/questions/coffee
Mostly seems according to the above that coffee is ok for most (as long as you filter it if you have high LDL and aren't pregnant).
I miss coffee, stupid ticker gets massive arrhythmias if I have even one cup. When SO has his morning brew I have been known to just smell the cup.
"It's not that I condone fascism, or any 'ism' for that matter. ' Isms' in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in any 'ism' they should believe in themselves." - Ferris Bueller

Leia

Postby Leia » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:24 pm UTC

a double shot latte drank in 5 minutes is enough to give me a serious case of the jitters

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:28 am UTC

Leia wrote:a double shot latte drank in 5 minutes is enough to give me a serious case of the jitters

Me too, then I got a job at a coffee shop (well, if you call starbucks an actual coffee shop), and I probably went through about 5-6 shots of espresso through the course of an 8 hour shift.

Need to have that undertow in order to properly get in to work at 4:30am
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Apparently Anonymous

Postby Apparently Anonymous » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:08 am UTC

If one drinks a cup of coffee or two every day, does it stop having an effect on tiredness and such?
I like coffee, but I try limiting myself to only drinking it when tired.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:16 am UTC

I think it works against tiredness when you aren't using it regularly (daily or every two days). Once you're a regular user, all it does is get rid of the symptoms of caffeine withdrawal, unless you keep upping your dose.

Primary symptom of caffeine withdrawal, of course, is tiredness. :P
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up i am with this.
- Tomlidich the second

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:24 pm UTC

Finally got my hands on a cup of the much-hyped Esmeralda Gesha. I don't think this was from the 'especial' auction lot, so not quite the stuff that won all those awards, but still a very unusual cup of coffee for the region (Panama). Made me think of jasmine tea with bergamot and a squeeze of lemon -- basically, what Picard would get if he ordered 'coffee, Earl Grey, hot'. Fans of African coffees would probably be quite at home with this stuff as well; lots of fruity notes as it cooled.

Wouldn't drink it repeatedly at $6/cup, but I'm glad I tried it. It was roasted by Kuma Coffee in Seattle.

Who

Postby Who » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

Prole wrote:Who likes it?

Yes.
I like extremely strong espresso. I drink it black, I like coffee, no need to ruin it by adding stuff which isn't coffee.

Also I recently discovered the awesomeness which is ground coffee on toast.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:12 pm UTC

Who wrote:ground coffee on toast.

Oh my vibrating finger tendons.

I've unfortunately got tummy trouble now. One cup of drip coffee, however delicious, will give me agony for a good part of the night while I try to sleep. Back to single-shot lattes for the foreseeable future. :(
TEAM SHIVAHN

You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up i am with this.
- Tomlidich the second

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:52 pm UTC

Cold brew? Lower acidity may be gentler.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:28 am UTC

I didn't get along with the cold brew I tried (once). I should probably avoid coffee completely for a few months, then reintroduce it a little at a time and find a level that my stomach lining can tolerate.

But that's haaaaarrd...
TEAM SHIVAHN

- Tomlidich the second

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:51 am UTC

I used to drink insane amounts of coffee. Unfortunately, almost any amount of caffeine would turn my anxiety up to...

There is not so much good decaf out there...or if there is, please suggest some.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:48 am UTC

I've started to worry about how all the coffee I drink is affecting my teeth. I had some stains that I was really worried about, though fortunately the hygenist managed to get them off with rigorous scraping.

So I'm trying to switch over at least partially to Amino Energy. I suppose I could switch over to caffeine pills (it would probably be a lot cheaper), but something about that just feels like it's crossing the line into you-should-sit-back-and-seriously-take-stock-of-your-life substance-abuse territory.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:27 am UTC

Any US coffee drinkers who live close to a JC Penney: Bodum products are now 70% off there due to some crazy legalese. The deal to look for is the Bodum Bistro grinder for <$40; unless you are a serious home espresso person, it's as good a grinder as you'll need. They've also got French presses and some miscellaneous kitchen equipment, but it's all going pretty fast.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

Holy shit going after work today.

Holy shit didn't go after work that day.
Last edited by Sheikh al-Majaneen on Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:28 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

I take it you mean this Bodum Bistro, and not this one that looks like an overpriced knockoff of a $20 Krups grinder?
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

Yeah, the $120 burr grinder.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:38 am UTC

I like coffee, predicated on that it is black and strong.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:20 pm UTC

I like black, strong coffee... but I mean come on you gotta LOVE weak, sugered-up coffee. It's like the difference between bread and cake. ;)

Random coffee story: We have two pots at our office, and someone wrote "weak - 1 bag only" on one of them, which also happens to be helpful for the strong coffee drinkers because now they know that the other pot has strong coffee in it. But recently someone scribbled "pond water" underneath it, which seems really rude to me! I wouldn't go into the fridge and write "gross food" or something on someone's lunch. And the worse part is that the insult doesn't make any sense! The difference between the two pots is that the weak one is more watered down. Wouldn't you rather drink watered-down pond water than condensed pond water???? Rude AND stupid! :P
-Adam

Who

Postby Who » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:06 am UTC

Adam H wrote:I like black, strong coffee... but I mean come on you gotta LOVE weak, sugered-up coffee. It's like the difference between bread and cake. ;)

Bread on its own lacks any identity until something, usually a fat, is added. Coffee on its own is delicious and awesome. It's like the difference between bacon and a lump of sugar. Yes, the lump of sugar is nice but it's sugar and not bacon. And if you're going to eat a lump of sugar, why not just eat a lump of sugar? Or a cookie? Or cake?
Random coffee story: We have two pots at our office, and someone wrote "weak - 1 bag only" on one of them, which also happens to be helpful for the strong coffee drinkers because now they know that the other pot has strong coffee in it. But recently someone scribbled "pond water" underneath it, which seems really rude to me! I wouldn't go into the fridge and write "gross food" or something on someone's lunch. And the worse part is that the insult doesn't make any sense! The difference between the two pots is that the weak one is more watered down. Wouldn't you rather drink watered-down pond water than condensed pond water???? Rude AND stupid! :P

If the coffee pot is communal then it's a completely different thing to singling out someone's lunch. In regards to it making sense, it makes perfect sense, the difference between the two is that one's coffee and one's not coffee. To call the not-coffee "pond water" does not reflect on what the coffee is, because coffee's coffee and not-coffee is pond water.

Nath

Postby Nath » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:52 pm UTC

Coffee brewed at half-strength doesn't taste like a less intense version of regular coffee. It tastes thin, dirty and bitter. I don't know whether there's actually more dissolved bitter stuff (over-extraction due to the excess water), or the bitter stuff is just easier to taste in lower concentration. If the former, maybe it'd be better to take full-strength coffee and dilute it by half.

PS. If anyone's looking for a new coffee machine: http://youtu.be/gggDqQ5yh6o

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

Re: Pond water
That does seem pretty pointless, rude, and immature.

I may think the dark roast coffee at my work is not very good, but that doesn't mean I'm going to write "burnt fecal matter" on the dark roast. I'm just going to drink lighter roasts. No big deal.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:37 am UTC

Lighter roasts have better flavor in the first place.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

speising

Postby speising » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

Nath wrote:Coffee brewed at half-strength doesn't taste like a less intense version of regular coffee. It tastes thin, dirty and bitter. I don't know whether there's actually more dissolved bitter stuff (over-extraction due to the excess water), or the bitter stuff is just easier to taste in lower concentration. If the former, maybe it'd be better to take full-strength coffee and dilute it by half.

PS. If anyone's looking for a new coffee machine: http://youtu.be/gggDqQ5yh6o

if the lighter coffee is produced by running more water through the grounds, then indeed the bitter substances will get extracted more. that's the reason americano is created by diluting strong coffee. unfortunately, since the previous post mentioned "pots", we can assume no coffee expertise is used in brewing. if this "pond water" is sitting longer on the plate, this could make it bitterer, too.

Rhombic

Postby Rhombic » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:55 pm UTC

I like black coffee, usually espresso, short and with flavour. Not over-toasted, though. I don't usually add any sugar in it, and if I do, I add just a pinch.
I love coffee.

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:21 pm UTC

After resisting the Aeropress hype for many years, I just received one as a gift. I've made three cups so far, with different methods. My third used the inverted method, with some nice, fresh Guatemalan beans (roasted on Monday). Damn that was a good cup of coffee. Maybe there's something to the hype. I'll have to try these beans in a pour-over to compare.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:31 pm UTC

Nath wrote:After resisting the Aeropress hype for many years, I just received one as a gift. I've made three cups so far, with different methods. My third used the inverted method, with some nice, fresh Guatemalan beans (roasted on Monday). Damn that was a good cup of coffee. Maybe there's something to the hype. I'll have to try these beans in a pour-over to compare.

I've been resisting an Aeropress due to the fact that it seems to be hyped exclusivly by people that I find intolerable.

I also have far too much coffee Paraphernalia in my house already, a moka pot, two different pour-overs (different sizes), and two french presses (different sizes), two different burr grinders (one set for the moka/pour overs, one set for the french presses). So more gadgets might be unwise, and I hear that an aeropress makes coffee of a similar style as a moka pot, just not hot.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Nath

Postby Nath » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:12 am UTC

I haven't had moka pot coffee in a while, but the Aeropress coffee seemed thinner, cleaner and brighter. Also, filtered, so much less oily. Basically, less espresso-like and more pour-over-like than the moka pot. The instruction booklet claims that the Aeropress makes espresso, but that's pretty blatant false advertising.

Still good coffee, though.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:11 am UTC

I can also vouch for the Aeropress and I'm not by any stretch of the imagination a coffee expert. I had been using my own small mr coffee machine at my desk since the communal coffee was horrible (so bitter and weak that it tasted like black tea that went bad). That little unit worked fine brewing drinkable, but otherwise unremarkable, coffee for a couple of years up until someone decided all personal appliances are a fire hazard.

That lead me to look into some sort of press or pour system that was easy to use and clean. I stumbled on the Aeropress which had some decent reviews and was cheap enough to be worth a shot, so I picked one up. It took a bit of fiddling with the quantities of water and grounds to get the process dialed in, but even the first cup I brewed was better than any drip coffee I'd ever had (even though it was just Yuban).

By the way, someone mentioned up thread they weren't sure whether it would be better to dilute a strong brew or brew it weaker. Based on what I found with this press, diluting is much better. The flavor doesn't change very much at all other than whatever the water adds. Even grossly watered down I didn't notice any increase in bitterness, just less intense and subtle flavors became much harder to detect.

And while I'm here, can anyone recommend a decent (and preferably inexpensive) hand powered grinder? I'd like to start playing around with grind sizes as well as some of the different beans and roasts that have been recommended already.

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:04 am UTC

A Hario Mini Mill will work fine for Aeropress or pour-over. Takes a couple of minutes, so I grind the beans while I nuke the water. This was my primary grinder for a while.

Doesn't do so well at coarser grinds, though, so it's not ideal for French press (unless you sieve out the fine particles).

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:13 am UTC

Nath wrote:A Hario Mini Mill will work fine for Aeropress or pour-over. Takes a couple of minutes, so I grind the beans while I nuke the water. This was my primary grinder for a while.

Doesn't do so well at coarser grinds, though, so it's not ideal for French press (unless you sieve out the fine particles).

or you get this: Image

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:46 pm UTC

Nath, thanks for the suggestion. Ordered one off Amazon for $25 and should be here Wednesday. I'll report back with my first impressions sometime next week.

Freezeblade, that's an interesting option. I wish I would have checked back here before I placed the order. I don't think there's a version of that available for the Mini Mill. The orphan esspresso site only seems to have the kit for some versions of the Skerton or the Kyocera CM-50.

Anyway, I figured at that price I could always use it as a spice mill should I decide grinding is too much effort or want to upgrade.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:02 pm UTC

slinches wrote:Anyway, I figured at that price I could always use it as a spice mill should I decide grinding is too much effort or want to upgrade.

I don't think that you'll decide it's too much effort, because the quality of coffee is so much better when using fresh ground. The one you got does awesome for fine grind, so it shouldn't be an issue unless you only use french press, and even then I've made plenty a tasty french-press cup with that hand crank ginder.

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:17 pm UTC

Still, it's not ridiculous for someone to switch from a manual grinder to, say, a cheap automatic grinder (even a blade grinder). Grind quality would suffer, but not everybody wants to spend two minutes in the morning rotating a crank for their coffee. Pretty small fraction of the population, I'd guess.

I went blade grinder -> manual -> basic automatic burr grinder (Bodum Bistro), and I quite like the convenience of my current set-up, even though I didn't mind the manual when it was my main grinder.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:26 pm UTC

That's good to know. I don't even have a french press, so coarse grinds probably aren't an issue for now.

As far as whether it's worthwhile to grind myself, I plan on running a little experiment. The grocery store I go to has whole beans and a commercial grinder, so I'm going buy ~1lb whole but only grind half at the store (I'll do a bit of calibration to make sure the grinds are as close as possible). Then I'll alternate between pre vs. fresh ground each day to see how much of a difference it makes as a function of time.

Return to “Food”