Roasts - Wire Rack + Baking Sheet vs Cast Iron Pan

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

sardia

Roasts - Wire Rack + Baking Sheet vs Cast Iron Pan

Postby sardia » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:32 pm UTC

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/12/equ ... g-pan.html
If I'm roasting a rack of pork chops/loin or spatchcocking a chicken, which one roasts better?
https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/10/the ... -iron.html
For space efficiency, the wire rack/baking sheet combo is superior, but a lot of the times, I have smaller cuts, so that isn't a concern. I'm talking about heating methods. The first link talks about using air circulation and indirect heat(maybe?) to dehydrate the skin to promote browning. The cast iron uses superior heat capacity and thermal flux to dehydrate the surface touching the pan to promote browning.

Does anyone own both, and know which one is better for roasting? I'm debating whether or not to buy a rimmed backing sheet/wire rack.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Re: Roasts - Wire Rack + Baking Sheet vs Cast Iron Pan

Postby PAstrychef » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:03 pm UTC

Both of those items are useful in many ways, so having them won’t be wasted money or space even if you don’t roast very often.
I’ve found that most roasting methods work equally well, depending on what you want to end up with. If I’m making a pan sauce and a separate starch I will use an oven safe heavy skillet. If I want to roast potatoes in the pan juices I will use a sheet tray/ roasting pan. I’ve used the wire rack method a few times and liked the results. Obviously, I’m not one to look for a “perfect” method to follow every time.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Return to “Food”