Is it possible to add a socket to BGA motherboard?

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

roflwaffle

Is it possible to add a socket to BGA motherboard?

Postby roflwaffle » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:52 pm UTC

Has anyone heard of adding a socket to a BGA motherboard? I've seen successful BGA DIY swaps, and even heard that it's possible to solder pins onto a BGA processor and use it in a socket (http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardwar ... ost4718204), but nothing about adding a socket to a BGA motherboard comes up in my searches.

There seem to be replacement sockets sold which come with balls applied from the factory (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Best-Qua ... 04342.html), so I'm leaning toward it being possible, but I'm here fishing for more info in case anyone's heard of anything like this.
Last edited by roflwaffle on Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:40 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

KnightExemplar

Re: Is it possible to replace add a socket to BGA motherboar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:12 pm UTC

Anything is possible. Its just hardware, pins, and electricity after all. But I don't think what you're looking to do is financially feasible. The equipment, training, and labor you'll need to do this task is quite up there. This isn't a "plug and play lego" task like most of computers, this is actually trying to shove hardware that wasn't designed for each other into each other.

What exactly are you trying to do? If you're trying to restore a historically significant computer for some reason, perhaps the labor would be worth it. But if you're trying to save a few bucks by upgrading an old motherboard... you should look elsewhere. This sort of task would probably cost well into thousands of dollars in labor alone... and probably requires specialized equipment that also costs thousands of dollars.

If you want a cheap motherboard with a socket, why aren't you just buying an AM1 Motherboard? Gigabit Ethernet, USB3.0, DDR3, 6Gbps Sata... its a modern motherboard for those on a budget. Kabini / AM1 may be slow against its modern competition, but Kabini / AM1 is still much faster than Pentium 4 computers.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

roflwaffle

Re: Is it possible to add a socket to BGA motherboard?

Postby roflwaffle » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:54 am UTC

I'd like to create a Frankenstein Chromebook. It's a little bit about the money, but it's mostly about doing something novel/fun.

http://hackaday.com/2012/08/10/swapping ... z-upgrade/

What I'm trying to figure out before I drop $15-$25 on a known working mainboard and reballed socket (If they're available, or reball a G2 socket if I can), is whether or not the pins from the socket would match up with the pins from the BGA processor.

If they do, it'd be a fun to try it.

wumpus

Re: Is it possible to add a socket to BGA motherboard?

Postby wumpus » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:24 pm UTC

First, I'd guess that if you have to ask you probably don't have the soldering skills to solder onto a CPU/BGA motherboard (I've known someone who could, but I'm not sure if she could do it without a mini-IR oven).

Second, you would have to make sure that the solder pattern of the socket matches the the BGA of the CPU. The CPUs solder pad should be easy to find: just pull the datasheet on the CPU and look up the PCB footprint (I'll admit the datasheet is huge: try under physical characteristics. It might just then refer to a spec that you probably don't have access to, but can find someone claiming the real data). Best idea on where to find the socket would be the spec for the motherboard it goes on (presumably available to everyone, at least most of it).

I'm guessing no, but it might be worth pulling the datasheets and comparing the footprints. Is it easier to find a higher grade BGA? It should be no harder to solder.

Return to “Hardware”