And it still worked?

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Woopate
Scrapple

And it still worked?

Postby Woopate » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:30 am UTC

Hey, so my brother-in-law came to me with an interesting problem. He put his laptop into a saddlebag on his motorcycle with a can of laquer. The can opened, and soaked the laptop through. Aside from the display having a very interesting stain, the thing runs perfect. Didn't even jam a fan or cause weird heating issues. Anybody have other bizarre stories of hardware that should have broke but didn't?

PhoenixEnigma

Re: And it still worked?

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:13 am UTC

I set a video card on fire once - connecting what was supposed to be a digital audio header on the card to an audio in somewhere resulted in very unexpected arcing and small flames on the back - and it continued to run fine. I never did get the digital audio out to work, but the card held up for several years more, including a stint of being abused by distributed GPGPU projects.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Obby

Postby Obby » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:03 pm UTC

My computer and my wife's computer were both in our apartment when it caught fire. The computers were not burnt up, but they were drenched in the chemical water that firefighters use to put out fires, and then left to sit there for a week in sub-freezing temperatures before we snuck in and pulled them out. I my initial hope was just to salvage the hard drives - we both had pictures we didn't want to lose and she had a lot of her art work on hers - but I just hoped against hope that cleaning the hardware would save us from having to spend a lot of money on new computers. A few hours of scrubbing with some isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush proved successful! They both turned on and went through POST just fine. The only fried piece of equipment was my monitor, which all things considered wasn't really a big deal. That was three years ago and I'm still using all the same hardware (minus the video card - my old one failed about 6 months ago).
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:36 pm UTC

I have dropped my laptop down the stair (the bit holding the screen in placecame off, but I just clipped it back on and computer runs fine) and bashed the same laptop against a lot of things (I carry it in one hand and am clumbsy). Always surprised it is still working
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Marvin

Postby Marvin » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:24 pm UTC

I have a pc that runs without (at least) one pin on CPU. I was surprised by that.
--
If God intended us to program we would be born with serial I/O ports.

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:51 am UTC

Marvin wrote:I have a pc that runs without (at least) one pin on CPU. I was surprised by that.

The Socket 478 chips had more than half their pins (266 of 478) devoted to providing power to the chip; other CPU sockets have similar numbers. The reason for so many pins is so that no one pin is carrying too much power, but losing one (or even half a dozen) of them would have no measurable effect under normal conditions.

P13808

Postby P13808 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:21 am UTC

Friend dropped her iPhone into a bucket of cleaning fluid. I know it has a high level of alcohol and acetone; stuff cosmetologists are required by law to clean tools with and requires gloves to work with. Pulled the phone out and it still worked. Battery wouldn't charge when it ran down a day later, but a couple hours in a bag of rice fixed that.

<a href=http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/09/send-me-to-heaven-app/>Also, some people</a> are launching their phones 40 metres in the air.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:38 pm UTC

my friend Catherine, on three separate occasions, dumped a pitcher containing several litres of water on my laptop with no ill effect.

I finally finished it off with a cup of coffee, though.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

StapleHorseOctopus

Postby StapleHorseOctopus » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:02 pm UTC

I had a PC that kept eating harddisks - likely a faulty powersupply, but the shop I bought it from was rude and didn't want to fix it (citing 'user error') :roll: , so I finally gave up and parted the PC out. Put the (supposedly failing) HDD in my old Gateway 2000 Pentium 2, together with the video card and RAM. It still works 11 years later. :shock:

My trusty Nokia mobile phone (sales date 2006) has been totally drenched with rain more times than I can count, was accidentally thrown through the air and landed hard a few times, and lastly dropped 100 cm+ off a X-Ray machine landing screen first on the hard floor just last month, with no damage done besides some scratches.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:06 am UTC

As kids we would play this game from time to time which consisted of standing outside on pavement or asphalt next to a tall building, and taking turns throwing our mobile phones in the air to see who could throw their phone the highest, until someone dropped their phone (don't ask why, I don't know). My old Nokia 3310 survived a few "second place smashes" in such competitions, as well as a slinky-style trip down a flight of stairs. The piece above the battery (I believe it was part of the antenna?) even broke off, but the phone wouldn't even complain as long as the back cover was holding the piece in place.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:37 pm UTC

If we are talking about phones, I dropped my nokia off the roof of my house (3 storey). Figured it was gone, but the back had just came off and the battery fallen out. Clipped it back together and it still runs to this day. Nokia phones were indestructable!
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:55 am UTC

Diemo wrote:Nokia phones were indestructable!

They were like Nintendium back then, before the days of "smart" telephones.

I've had a little Samsung slide-top sort of phone for about six years now, and it's still mostly working, beside the keys starting to get a bit hard to press. Thought the two halves would have come apart by now.

Reminds me of a story about a friend of mine who had a guinea pig, and... well, no, that's not appropriate for various reasons.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

operagost

Postby operagost » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:02 pm UTC

RAZR V3 was a tank, too. My wife probably dropped hers once a week until finally after about two years she cracked the screen. She broke two of those clear plastic snap-on cases before that happened.

roflwaffle

Postby roflwaffle » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:54 pm UTC

I've plugged a FD in backwards on a running slot 1 PIII (I was a little cavalier with hardware upgrades). It fried itself, a CD Drive, a PS, and the ram, but everything else, including all the PCI cards, still work to this day.

jstylen

Postby jstylen » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:01 pm UTC

I used to have a laptop that was really picky about turning on. One day, out of frustration, I leaned on the bezel right under the keyboard almost like I was holding it down and forcing it into submission... it worked. With a little investigation I found that to be the location of the CPU. Of course this called for more testing. I found that by applying pressure in that one spot the laptop would boot every time. The strange thing, once it got to the post screen it was always fine after that. Very odd. Eventually ended up selling the thing on Ebay when I decided to upgrade. And before you call me a con artist, etc, I listed as is and noted the issue in the description.

Return to “Hardware”