¡Hablamos español! (Spanish Practice)

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Re: ¡Hablamos español! (Spanish Practice)

Postby Weeks » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:26 am UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:I would simply say: aún si se falle, se mejorará.
That sounds almost correct to me. "Se mejorará" means getting well, as in health, not better as in improving ("Que te mejores" means "Get well soon"). We use "superará" instead. Also the "se falle" is tripping me up, it's not a common phrasing...
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Kewangji wrote:I can solve nothing but I'd buy you chili ice cream if you were here, or some other incongruous sweet.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:49 am UTC

When I lived in south america "mejorar" was often used to mean improvement. There was some construction company that had the motto "Seguimos mejorando su Ciudad" (or something close to that effect). "Fallarse" was really common too.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Beatrice wrote:The world is quiet here.

Tillian wrote:sig'd

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:39 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:When I lived in south america "mejorar" was often used to mean improvement. There was some construction company that had the motto "Seguimos mejorando su Ciudad" (or something close to that effect).
It does mean to improve, but with the article "te" or "se" before it it forms an idiomatic phrasing that means to get well. I mean it does in Central America at least.
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Kewangji wrote:I can solve nothing but I'd buy you chili ice cream if you were here, or some other incongruous sweet.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”