IPA joke

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

IPA joke

Postby Monika » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:33 pm UTC

#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people e.g. Ragna needs these items and Frances needs money for food

eSOANEM
:D

Re: IPA joke

Postby eSOANEM » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:45 pm UTC

On fb I, and a few others, were trying to work out where the bartender's from seeing as he apparently speaks a non-rhotic variety with canadian raising.

Wikipedia tells me that there are small isolated areas in southwestern New Brunswick, parts of Newfoundland, and the Lunenburg English variety spoken in Lunenburg and Shelburne Counties, Nova Scotia, with non-rhotic varieties in Canada. Apparently most North American varieties raise /ai/ though even those outside Canada and there are places in New-England which are both non-rhotic and have Canadian raising.

So I guess probably from New England?
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Re: IPA joke

Postby Monika » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:06 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:On fb I, and a few others, were trying to work out where the bartender's from seeing as he apparently speaks a non-rhotic variety with canadian raising.

Wikipedia tells me that there are small isolated areas in southwestern New Brunswick, parts of Newfoundland, and the Lunenburg English variety spoken in Lunenburg and Shelburne Counties, Nova Scotia, with non-rhotic varieties in Canada. Apparently most North American varieties raise /ai/ though even those outside Canada and there are places in New-England which are both non-rhotic and have Canadian raising.

So I guess probably from New England?

:lol:
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people e.g. Ragna needs these items and Frances needs money for food

Return to “Language/Linguistics”