Obscure Language Game

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 25037
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:55 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:I was in the pub with alexius today and we decided it was high time this thread returned. To get it started, here are a few starters to be getting on with.

Padre nostro que yes en el ciel,
santificat siad lo teu nomne.
Venya a nos el teu regno.
Fayadse la tua voluntade
ansi en la terra como en el ciel.
El nostro pan de cada dia danoslo hoi
ed perdonanos las nostras offensas
como nos perdonamos los qui nos offendent.
Ed non nos layxes cader in tentatsion
ed liberanos del mal.
Amen.
Lord's Prayer, obviously, Romance language, I'm thinking Iberian of some sort, but I know there are quite a few different languages there and I can only say that this one is not Castilian Spanish, Portuguese, Catalan, or (probably) Gallego.

La nostra zì oûna longa cal da griebani:
i spironi da Monto inda uò salvà, e 'l brasso da Vistro uò rastà scuio pei grutoni pioûn alti del mar, ca ruzaghia sta tiera viecia-stara. Da senpro i signemo pissi sensa nom, ca da sui sa prucoûra 'l bucon par guodi la veîta leîbara del cucal, pastadi dala piova da Punente a da Livante e cume i uleîi mai incalmadi. Fra ste carme zì stà la nostra salvissa, cume i riboni a sa salva dal dulfeîn fra i scagni del sico da San Damian; el nostro pan, nato gra li gruote, zi stà inbinideî cul sudur sula iera zbruventa da Paloû... e i vemo caminà par oûna longa cal da griebani, c'ancui la riesta lissada dali nostre urme.
Also Romance, looks like something close to Italian.

Edit:
Ayr ain t'ayns niau,
Casherick dy row dt'ennym.
Dy jig dty reeriaght.
Dt'aigney dy row jeant er y thalloo,
myr t'ayns niau.
Cur dooin nyn arran jiu as gagh laa,
as leih dooin nyn loghtyn,
myr ta shin leih dauesyn ta jannoo loghtyn nyn 'oi.
As ny leeid shin ayns miolagh,
agh livrey shin veih olk:
Son lhiats y reeriaght, as y phooar, as y ghloyr, son dy bragh as dy bragh.
Amen.
And this looks like something Gaelic, and since Irish and Scottish Gaelic probably aren't obscure enough for your liking (and have quite possibly already been posted in any case), I'm gonna guess Manx?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Derek
Posts: 2063
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:15 am UTC

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby Derek » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:54 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:
Padre nostro que yes en el ciel,
santificat siad lo teu nomne.
Venya a nos el teu regno.
Fayadse la tua voluntade
ansi en la terra como en el ciel.
El nostro pan de cada dia danoslo hoi
ed perdonanos las nostras offensas
como nos perdonamos los qui nos offendent.
Ed non nos layxes cader in tentatsion
ed liberanos del mal.
Amen.

Obviously this is the Lord's Prayer in some Romance language. Since this is the "obscure" language game, I'm going to guess Ladin.

User avatar
The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students
Posts: 4398
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:47 am UTC
Location: The Daily Bugle

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:52 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:And this looks like something Gaelic, and since Irish and Scottish Gaelic probably aren't obscure enough for your liking (and have quite possibly already been posted in any case), I'm gonna guess Manx?
I'm pretty sure you're right, and that it's also the Lord's Prayer.
eSOANEM wrote:La nostra zì oûna longa cal da griebani:
i spironi da Monto inda uò salvà, e 'l brasso da Vistro uò rastà scuio pei grutoni pioûn alti del mar, ca ruzaghia sta tiera viecia-stara. Da senpro i signemo pissi sensa nom, ca da sui sa prucoûra 'l bucon par guodi la veîta leîbara del cucal, pastadi dala piova da Punente a da Livante e cume i uleîi mai incalmadi. Fra ste carme zì stà la nostra salvissa, cume i riboni a sa salva dal dulfeîn fra i scagni del sico da San Damian; el nostro pan, nato gra li gruote, zi stà inbinideî cul sudur sula iera zbruventa da Paloû... e i vemo caminà par oûna longa cal da griebani, c'ancui la riesta lissada dali nostre urme.
I'm going to guess Venetian.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

User avatar
eSOANEM
364 days more
Posts: 3376
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:48 am UTC

Derek wrote:
eSOANEM wrote:
Padre nostro que yes en el ciel,
santificat siad lo teu nomne.
Venya a nos el teu regno.
Fayadse la tua voluntade
ansi en la terra como en el ciel.
El nostro pan de cada dia danoslo hoi
ed perdonanos las nostras offensas
como nos perdonamos los qui nos offendent.
Ed non nos layxes cader in tentatsion
ed liberanos del mal.
Amen.

Obviously this is the Lord's Prayer in some Romance language. Since this is the "obscure" language game, I'm going to guess Ladin.


Yup, it is obviously the lord's prayer in a romance language, but gmal was down a better road.

gmalivuk wrote:Edit:
Ayr ain t'ayns niau,
Casherick dy row dt'ennym.
Dy jig dty reeriaght.
Dt'aigney dy row jeant er y thalloo,
myr t'ayns niau.
Cur dooin nyn arran jiu as gagh laa,
as leih dooin nyn loghtyn,
myr ta shin leih dauesyn ta jannoo loghtyn nyn 'oi.
As ny leeid shin ayns miolagh,
agh livrey shin veih olk:
Son lhiats y reeriaght, as y phooar, as y ghloyr, son dy bragh as dy bragh.
Amen.
And this looks like something Gaelic, and since Irish and Scottish Gaelic probably aren't obscure enough for your liking (and have quite possibly already been posted in any case), I'm gonna guess Manx?


It is indeed Manx. I was hoping the fact its orthography's based more on welsh than irish would confuse people a bit; seems I was wrong.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
eSOANEM wrote:La nostra zì oûna longa cal da griebani:
i spironi da Monto inda uò salvà, e 'l brasso da Vistro uò rastà scuio pei grutoni pioûn alti del mar, ca ruzaghia sta tiera viecia-stara. Da senpro i signemo pissi sensa nom, ca da sui sa prucoûra 'l bucon par guodi la veîta leîbara del cucal, pastadi dala piova da Punente a da Livante e cume i uleîi mai incalmadi. Fra ste carme zì stà la nostra salvissa, cume i riboni a sa salva dal dulfeîn fra i scagni del sico da San Damian; el nostro pan, nato gra li gruote, zi stà inbinideî cul sudur sula iera zbruventa da Paloû... e i vemo caminà par oûna longa cal da griebani, c'ancui la riesta lissada dali nostre urme.
I'm going to guess Venetian.


It's not Venetian, but you're in the right part of the world (or, more specifically, Europe).
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

User avatar
Carlington
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:46 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby Carlington » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:02 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:
Padre nostro que yes en el ciel,
santificat siad lo teu nomne.
Venya a nos el teu regno.
Fayadse la tua voluntade
ansi en la terra como en el ciel.
El nostro pan de cada dia danoslo hoi
ed perdonanos las nostras offensas
como nos perdonamos los qui nos offendent.
Ed non nos layxes cader in tentatsion
ed liberanos del mal.
Amen.

I've no idea for the Italian-y one. Well done on the Manx, gmal! This one has a couple of things about it that make it feel vaguely influenced by French, so I'm inclined to think it's further East. It's not Catalan, I agree with that much. Could it be some sort of Occitan?
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

User avatar
The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students
Posts: 4398
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:47 am UTC
Location: The Daily Bugle

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:12 pm UTC

Carlington wrote:I've no idea for the Italian-y one. Well done on the Manx, gmal! This one has a couple of things about it that make it feel vaguely influenced by French, so I'm inclined to think it's further East. It's not Catalan, I agree with that much. Could it be some sort of Occitan?

Occitan uses diacritics
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

User avatar
Lazar
Landed Gentry
Posts: 2107
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:49 pm UTC
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby Lazar » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:08 pm UTC

Like gmal, I'd guess that it's Iberian. From the snippets I've seen of Leonese and Aragonese I don't think they would use that -ent ending, so I'd also guess that it's something from the past. One odd thing is that the text itself doesn't look… standardized? Compare "lo teu nomne" with "el teu regno", and "en el ciel" with "in tentatsion".
And remember, my friends, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

User avatar
The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students
Posts: 4398
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:47 am UTC
Location: The Daily Bugle

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:15 pm UTC

Perhaps it's composed from fragments?
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

User avatar
eSOANEM
364 days more
Posts: 3376
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:49 pm UTC

As far as I know it's not composed from fragments. Of the samples I gave, it's the only one no longer spoken (although one of the others is an older form than that currently used).
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Alexius
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:45 pm UTC

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby Alexius » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:55 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:Se ti ka hashë bukën e shërbëtyrës s'duarvet tote. Lumë ti e fatbardhë ka jeshë. Jotë shoqe ka jet si dhri me pemë te muret e shpis tënde. Bijët tatë si degë ullinjësh rrethë triesës tënde. Shi kështú ka jet bekuar njeriu çë ka trëmbësirën e Perëndisë.

I'm going to guess Albanian. Not sure if that's specific enough, though.

eSOANEM wrote:Mwilsha's gater, swart a manyath,
Manyi graw a kraji dilsha's manik.
Graw bi greydid, sheydi laadu
az aswart in manyath.
Bag mwilsha talosk minyart goshta dura.
geychel aur shaaku areyk mwilsha
geychas needjas greydi gyamyath mwilsha.
Nijesh solk mwil start gyamath,
bat bog mwilsha ahim gyamyath.
Diyil the sridag, taajirath an manyath
Gradum a gradum.

Shelta? Almost certainly incorrect, and a very different orthography from the Shelta I've seen, but it sounds like it...




eSOANEM wrote:La nostra zì oûna longa cal da griebani:
i spironi da Monto inda uò salvà, e 'l brasso da Vistro uò rastà scuio pei grutoni pioûn alti del mar, ca ruzaghia sta tiera viecia-stara. Da senpro i signemo pissi sensa nom, ca da sui sa prucoûra 'l bucon par guodi la veîta leîbara del cucal, pastadi dala piova da Punente a da Livante e cume i uleîi mai incalmadi. Fra ste carme zì stà la nostra salvissa, cume i riboni a sa salva dal dulfeîn fra i scagni del sico da San Damian; el nostro pan, nato gra li gruote, zi stà inbinideî cul sudur sula iera zbruventa da Paloû... e i vemo caminà par oûna longa cal da griebani, c'ancui la riesta lissada dali nostre urme.

Piedmontese?

User avatar
The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students
Posts: 4398
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:47 am UTC
Location: The Daily Bugle

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:02 am UTC

Alexius wrote:Shelta? Almost certainly incorrect, and a very different orthography from the Shelta I've seen, but it sounds like it...

eSOANEM wrote:(although one of the others is an older form than that currently used)
I know bugger all about Shelta beyond the fact that it exists, but this being an older form could explain the different orthography
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

User avatar
eSOANEM
364 days more
Posts: 3376
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:33 am UTC

Alexius wrote:
eSOANEM wrote:Se ti ka hashë bukën..

I'm going to guess Albanian. Not sure if that's specific enough, though.

eSOANEM wrote:Mwilsha's gater, swart a manyath,...

Shelta? Almost certainly incorrect, and a very different orthography from the Shelta I've seen, but it sounds like it...

eSOANEM wrote:La nostra zì oûna longa cal da griebani:..

Piedmontese?


Correct on both counts for the first (Albanian didn't seem obscure enough to qualify); you are going to need to be more specific.

The second is indeed Shelta and TMT is right that it being an older form is the reason (it's only 19th century but is also a relatively low-english-content form).

The third is not Piedmontese.
Last edited by eSOANEM on Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

User avatar
Envelope Generator
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:07 am UTC
Location: pareidolia

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby Envelope Generator » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:16 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:La nostra zì oûna longa cal da griebani:
i spironi da Monto inda uò salvà, e 'l brasso da Vistro uò rastà scuio pei grutoni pioûn alti del mar, ca ruzaghia sta tiera viecia-stara. Da senpro i signemo pissi sensa nom, ca da sui sa prucoûra 'l bucon par guodi la veîta leîbara del cucal, pastadi dala piova da Punente a da Livante e cume i uleîi mai incalmadi. Fra ste carme zì stà la nostra salvissa, cume i riboni a sa salva dal dulfeîn fra i scagni del sico da San Damian; el nostro pan, nato gra li gruote, zi stà inbinideî cul sudur sula iera zbruventa da Paloû... e i vemo caminà par oûna longa cal da griebani, c'ancui la riesta lissada dali nostre urme.


Sardinian? Because bits of that look like Basque and IIRC Sardinian has some Vasconic substrate.

e: on second thoughts it just doesn't look strange enough to be Sardinian.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

User avatar
Lazar
Landed Gentry
Posts: 2107
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:49 pm UTC
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby Lazar » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:09 am UTC

It's not Sardinian, because they use the definite articles su and sa, derived from ipse and ipsa – unlike all other Romance languages, which take theirs from ille and illa. I'll go out on a limb and say Friulian, because I know I've seen them using circumflexes.

I'll add a couple more languages:

iodzi hendume: terei yabun, hiyooxun deocin bime, dergi be necire de amurangge komso dere.
dergi be necire de amuran akv bime, facuhvn be deribure de amurangge akv kai.
ambasa saisa fulehe be kicembi. fulehe ilici doro banjinambi.
hiyooxun deocin, serengge, tere gosin be yabure fulehe dere.


Ī kathātī ār ajgut manjar kī bācar "Īs jok ind'rim aḵẖdas." Ās gahi aiyā ra'anum bēlas gahi khara baggē chippā lōṭā sañjgī ḵẖalb kērā. Āũge bēlas dēoṛā̃ bhagtārin ēḍā taiyas taṅghai ālon beddāgē. Ā paccō bhakuas gahi bārenū ānyā "Eṅg jaundḵẖadis gā ennē ennen khōb aḵẖdas." Bēlas cā̃ḋe āsin ēḍ'ā taiyas; paikar barcar darā ānyar "gucā niṅgan bēlas ēḍālagdas."
And remember, my friends, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

User avatar
eSOANEM
364 days more
Posts: 3376
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:09 am UTC

Friulian is the closest so far but I can't give it I'm afraid.

Lazar wrote:iodzi hendume: terei yabun, hiyooxun deocin bime, dergi be necire de amurangge komso dere.
dergi be necire de amuran akv bime, facuhvn be deribure de amurangge akv kai.
ambasa saisa fulehe be kicembi. fulehe ilici doro banjinambi.
hiyooxun deocin, serengge, tere gosin be yabure fulehe dere.


The xs between vowels look interesting and, together with the final consonant clusters, make me think it's orthography was developed by people who also worked on romanisations of chinese languages. I'm not getting Austronesian vibes so I'm going to guess something Austroasiatic (not that I know any good candidates there).


Lazar wrote:Ī kathātī ār ajgut manjar kī bācar "Īs jok ind'rim aḵẖdas." Ās gahi aiyā ra'anum bēlas gahi khara baggē chippā lōṭā sañjgī ḵẖalb kērā. Āũge bēlas dēoṛā̃ bhagtārin ēḍā taiyas taṅghai ālon beddāgē. Ā paccō bhakuas gahi bārenū ānyā "Eṅg jaundḵẖadis gā ennē ennen khōb aḵẖdas." Bēlas cā̃ḋe āsin ēḍ'ā taiyas; paikar barcar darā ānyar "gucā niṅgan bēlas ēḍālagdas."


My first thought was that the hs after unvoiced stops and the macrons everywhere look very indo-aryan but I don't know any with nasalisation (assuming that's what the tildes mean) and I'm not sure what ḵẖ could be (although the dotted consonants would make sense for retroflexes).
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

User avatar
Lazar
Landed Gentry
Posts: 2107
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:49 pm UTC
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby Lazar » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:12 am UTC

Oh, and to be clear, they're both transliterated.

The first one isn't Austroasiatic. In the second one, ḵẖ is used for /x/, while kh is used for /kʰ/.
And remember, my friends, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

User avatar
eSOANEM
364 days more
Posts: 3376
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:56 pm UTC

In that case I'm pretty convinced the second is from the Indian subcontinent. I'm not sure which of those languages have nasalisation though. I'll take a punt at Punjabi.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Alexius
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:45 pm UTC

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby Alexius » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:27 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:
Alexius wrote:
eSOANEM wrote:Se ti ka hashë bukën..

I'm going to guess Albanian. Not sure if that's specific enough, though.


Correct on both counts for the first (Albanian didn't seem obscure enough to qualify); you are going to need to be more specific.

OK, then I'm guessing Gheg. I don't really have much to go on beyond the fact that it looks different from standard Albanian and I think Gheg is the variety that differs the most.

User avatar
eSOANEM
364 days more
Posts: 3376
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby eSOANEM » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:24 am UTC

it's more obscure than Gheg.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

User avatar
Lazar
Landed Gentry
Posts: 2107
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:49 pm UTC
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby Lazar » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:00 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:In that case I'm pretty convinced the second is from the Indian subcontinent. I'm not sure which of those languages have nasalisation though. I'll take a punt at Punjabi.

It's from the Indian subcontinent, but it's not Punjabi.
And remember, my friends, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

User avatar
The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students
Posts: 4398
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:47 am UTC
Location: The Daily Bugle

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:33 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:Friulian is the closest so far but I can't give it I'm afraid.

Physically or linguistically?
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

User avatar
eSOANEM
364 days more
Posts: 3376
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby eSOANEM » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:14 pm UTC

Certainly the former, the latter is an open question though.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Alexius
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:45 pm UTC

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby Alexius » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:34 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:it's more obscure than Gheg.

In that case is it Arvanitika? That's the only variety of Albanian I know of that could be called "more obscure than Gheg"

User avatar
eSOANEM
364 days more
Posts: 3376
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby eSOANEM » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:38 pm UTC

It's not but it's close enough that I'll give you it (and because, from the fact no-one else has commented, I don't think anyone else is likely to get it). It was Arbëreshë. It's a Tosk dialect spoken in southern Italy by the descendants of Albanians fleeing the Ottoman invasian. It's most closely related to Arvanitika.

Lazar wrote:iodzi hendume: terei yabun, hiyooxun deocin bime, dergi be necire de amurangge komso dere.
dergi be necire de amuran akv bime, facuhvn be deribure de amurangge akv kai.
ambasa saisa fulehe be kicembi. fulehe ilici doro banjinambi.
hiyooxun deocin, serengge, tere gosin be yabure fulehe dere.


I was talking about this with someone at the pub yesterday and they reckoned it looked Altaic to them. It doesn't look particularly Mongolic to me and definitely not like Korean or Japanese. If I'm right and the romanisation's mostly based on Chinese romanisations, we can probably rule out Turkic languages as well. The only Altaic language I can think of near China is Manchu so I'm going to guess that.

Edit: this thread is going to become so much fun once mod madness starts :twisted:
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

User avatar
Lazar
Landed Gentry
Posts: 2107
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:49 pm UTC
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby Lazar » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:55 pm UTC

You got it! The text is from a Manchu translation of the Analects of Confucius.
And remember, my friends, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

User avatar
eSOANEM
364 days more
Posts: 3376
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby eSOANEM » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:04 pm UTC

I thought I'd do a post summarising the unanswered ones and the relevant info that's been reached.

From me there's:

eSOANEM wrote:Padre nostro que yes en el ciel,
santificat siad lo teu nomne.
Venya a nos el teu regno.
Fayadse la tua voluntade
ansi en la terra como en el ciel.
El nostro pan de cada dia danoslo hoi
ed perdonanos las nostras offensas
como nos perdonamos los qui nos offendent.
Ed non nos layxes cader in tentatsion
ed liberanos del mal.
Amen.

Dead romance language. Looks like Spanish.

eSOANEM wrote:La nostra zì oûna longa cal da griebani:
i spironi da Monto inda uò salvà, e 'l brasso da Vistro uò rastà scuio pei grutoni pioûn alti del mar, ca ruzaghia sta tiera viecia-stara. Da senpro i signemo pissi sensa nom, ca da sui sa prucoûra 'l bucon par guodi la veîta leîbara del cucal, pastadi dala piova da Punente a da Livante e cume i uleîi mai incalmadi. Fra ste carme zì stà la nostra salvissa, cume i riboni a sa salva dal dulfeîn fra i scagni del sico da San Damian; el nostro pan, nato gra li gruote, zi stà inbinideî cul sudur sula iera zbruventa da Paloû... e i vemo caminà par oûna longa cal da griebani, c'ancui la riesta lissada dali nostre urme.

Living Romance language, looks like Italian. Friulian is the closest guess so far.


and from Lazar
Lazar wrote:Ī kathātī ār ajgut manjar kī bācar "Īs jok ind'rim aḵẖdas." Ās gahi aiyā ra'anum bēlas gahi khara baggē chippā lōṭā sañjgī ḵẖalb kērā. Āũge bēlas dēoṛā̃ bhagtārin ēḍā taiyas taṅghai ālon beddāgē. Ā paccō bhakuas gahi bārenū ānyā "Eṅg jaundḵẖadis gā ennē ennen khōb aḵẖdas." Bēlas cā̃ḋe āsin ēḍ'ā taiyas; paikar barcar darā ānyar "gucā niṅgan bēlas ēḍālagdas."

From the Indian subcontinent.

I've got a few others lined up to bring into the game but I'd rather wait until all of my first batch have gone.



Edit: I just realised that I recognise the word "lōṭā" which, IIRC is used most commonly in predominantly muslim areas. It's not Punjabi and I don't think it's Bengali so it seems more likely to me it's from Pakistan, maybe Sindhi?
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Alexius
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:45 pm UTC

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby Alexius » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:04 pm UTC

I'll add another one to stop the thread dying:
On erom beemal. Tuck me a tib o' deelo wok.

User avatar
Lazar
Landed Gentry
Posts: 2107
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:49 pm UTC
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby Lazar » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:48 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:Edit: I just realised that I recognise the word "lōṭā" which, IIRC is used most commonly in predominantly muslim areas. It's not Punjabi and I don't think it's Bengali so it seems more likely to me it's from Pakistan, maybe Sindhi?

No, it's not spoken in Pakistan.

Dead romance language. Looks like Spanish.

Well, there's only one Ibero-Romance language I know of that would generally be considered dead – as opposed to endangered or archaic. Mozarabic?

Living Romance language, looks like Italian. Friulian is the closest guess so far.

This one is tricky, because we've established that it's closer – physically, and maybe also linguistically – to Friulian than to Venetian, which I think rules out anything within Italy. I'm a little unsure on whether this is still a living language, but… Istriot?

Alexius wrote:On erom beemal. Tuck me a tib o' deelo wok.

Is it a creole?
And remember, my friends, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

User avatar
eSOANEM
364 days more
Posts: 3376
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:10 pm UTC

Alexius wrote:I'll add another one to stop the thread dying:
On erom beemal. Tuck me a tib o' deelo wok.


It's not tok pisin is it? The spelling of "wok" for what I'm guessing is "work" in English is similar to the spelling "tok" for "talk" in it.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Alexius
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:45 pm UTC

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby Alexius » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:43 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:
Alexius wrote:I'll add another one to stop the thread dying:
On erom beemal. Tuck me a tib o' deelo wok.


It's not tok pisin is it? The spelling of "wok" for what I'm guessing is "work" in English is similar to the spelling "tok" for "talk" in it.


This is not tok pisin, nor is it a creole. However, it is very closely related to English (English could arguably be its standard written form).

User avatar
eSOANEM
364 days more
Posts: 3376
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:26 pm UTC

Oh, in that case is it Forth and Bargy dialect?

I realised I forgot to reply to Lazar, you are correct, they were Mozarabic and Istriot respectively.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Alexius
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:45 pm UTC

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby Alexius » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:06 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:Oh, in that case is it Forth and Bargy dialect?

No, it isn't. One more clue: the word "wok" does not mean work.

I'll give it tomorrow evening if no-one gets it.

And as we're now down to 2, I'll post another one:

Wadchaneh neane mooeskesuk: puttogweh agque wutonkouhtomut kenuppawhunash, Wutch matchetoout nag onkapunnasitcheg, wutch nishehteae nummatwomog, nag weenuhkiitcheg. Weyanehtunkqunneau aehenwonche oowesoo: nashpe wuttoonoo pittuanumweyeuog. Yeuyeu noowenuhkunkqunnonog ut nuttontanehtuonganunnonut : wuskesukoowoash wunnauwakompattaunnaopashen ohkeiyeu; Onatuh qunnonou kottuppooontog ne kodtohqunuk, kah onatuh wuskoshumwe qunnonou noh pattogque ayit assompamukquodtut.

User avatar
Lazar
Landed Gentry
Posts: 2107
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:49 pm UTC
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby Lazar » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:06 am UTC

Hmm. Is it from North America?
And remember, my friends, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

User avatar
eSOANEM
364 days more
Posts: 3376
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:46 am UTC

Alexius wrote:
eSOANEM wrote:Oh, in that case is it Forth and Bargy dialect?

No, it isn't. One more clue: the word "wok" does not mean work.

I'll give it tomorrow evening if no-one gets it.


I assumed as much when you said it wasn't Tok Pisin. Forth and Bargy was just from you saying it wasn't a creole but that English is arguably its standard written form.

I'd be happy to keep guessing unless you absolutely want to give it tomorrow.

I don't have much to add to the new one other than seconding that it looks North American.

I will however add one of the ones from my queue.

Repúnkun niśpa
kòtćaketá
kamuj otta
pirikano
itak an.
Kivá ne jakne
tan śompaj
eápkas akka.
Piráturu kotan
koápkas akka
epetćiu sakno
ápkaś jákne
a-koro kotan
aeśćilam kusu néna.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Alexius
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:45 pm UTC

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby Alexius » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:42 am UTC

Lazar wrote:Hmm. Is it from North America?

Yes, it is.

User avatar
eSOANEM
364 days more
Posts: 3376
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby eSOANEM » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:15 pm UTC

Alexius wrote:On erom beemal. Tuck me a tib o' deelo wok.


Is it an argot or jargon or is it some highly divergent regional dialect of English?

Because it seems to be utterly unintelligible as standard English (to me as a BrE speaker), I'm guessing the former at the moment. Is it thieve's cant (of the Elizabethan variety if you want a more specific answer)?

Lazar wrote:Ī kathātī ār ajgut manjar kī bācar "Īs jok ind'rim aḵẖdas." Ās gahi aiyā ra'anum bēlas gahi khara baggē chippā lōṭā sañjgī ḵẖalb kērā. Āũge bēlas dēoṛā̃ bhagtārin ēḍā taiyas taṅghai ālon beddāgē. Ā paccō bhakuas gahi bārenū ānyā "Eṅg jaundḵẖadis gā ennē ennen khōb aḵẖdas." Bēlas cā̃ḋe āsin ēḍ'ā taiyas; paikar barcar darā ānyar "gucā niṅgan bēlas ēḍālagdas."


Ok, I'm out of sensible guesses for Indo-Aryan languages (unless it's really very obscure) so I'm guessing it's Dravidian. Tamil seems a bit too obvious once people have narrowed it down to Dravidian for that. I'm going to guess Kannada because IIRC, the region it's spoken is one of the most heavily Muslim parts of Southern India.

Alexius wrote:Wadchaneh neane mooeskesuk: puttogweh agque wutonkouhtomut kenuppawhunash, Wutch matchetoout nag onkapunnasitcheg, wutch nishehteae nummatwomog, nag weenuhkiitcheg. Weyanehtunkqunneau aehenwonche oowesoo: nashpe wuttoonoo pittuanumweyeuog. Yeuyeu noowenuhkunkqunnonog ut nuttontanehtuonganunnonut : wuskesukoowoash wunnauwakompattaunnaopashen ohkeiyeu; Onatuh qunnonou kottuppooontog ne kodtohqunuk, kah onatuh wuskoshumwe qunnonou noh pattogque ayit assompamukquodtut.


The apparent lack of glottal stops and ejectives seems like it should help a bit. Also it doesn't seem to have as many qs as I'd expect from an Eskimo-Aleut language. The orthography also looks more English influenced than Spanish influenced so I'm guessing it's found either in the US or Canada. Things like that "eau" look a bit french influenced though. The doubled vowels look interesting too.

I'm not sure I know enough languages or about even the language families involved to take a punt at a language from that though :/
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Alexius
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:45 pm UTC

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby Alexius » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:15 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:
Alexius wrote:On erom beemal. Tuck me a tib o' deelo wok.


Is it an argot or jargon or is it some highly divergent regional dialect of English?

Because it seems to be utterly unintelligible as standard English (to me as a BrE speaker), I'm guessing the former at the moment. Is it thieve's cant (of the Elizabethan variety if you want a more specific answer)?

I'm going to give this one, as it is an argot/cryptolect based on English. In fact it's Rechtub Klat, which as the name suggests is the backslang-based argot used by Australian butchers. And given that, you should be able to translate it:
Spoiler:
"No more lamb. Cut me a bit of old cow."


eSOANEM wrote:
Alexius wrote:Wadchaneh neane mooeskesuk: puttogweh agque wutonkouhtomut kenuppawhunash, Wutch matchetoout nag onkapunnasitcheg, wutch nishehteae nummatwomog, nag weenuhkiitcheg. Weyanehtunkqunneau aehenwonche oowesoo: nashpe wuttoonoo pittuanumweyeuog. Yeuyeu noowenuhkunkqunnonog ut nuttontanehtuonganunnonut : wuskesukoowoash wunnauwakompattaunnaopashen ohkeiyeu; Onatuh qunnonou kottuppooontog ne kodtohqunuk, kah onatuh wuskoshumwe qunnonou noh pattogque ayit assompamukquodtut.


The apparent lack of glottal stops and ejectives seems like it should help a bit. Also it doesn't seem to have as many qs as I'd expect from an Eskimo-Aleut language. The orthography also looks more English influenced than Spanish influenced so I'm guessing it's found either in the US or Canada. Things like that "eau" look a bit french influenced though. The doubled vowels look interesting too.

I'm not sure I know enough languages or about even the language families involved to take a punt at a language from that though :/


You are correct that this is not Eskimo-Aleut, and is found in the US. I was a bit mean- this is not the modern orthography used for this language (which went extinct but has been revived).
eSOANEM wrote:Repúnkun niśpa
kòtćaketá
kamuj otta
pirikano
itak an.
Kivá ne jakne
tan śompaj
eápkas akka.
Piráturu kotan
koápkas akka
epetćiu sakno
ápkaś jákne
a-koro kotan
aeśćilam kusu néna.


This looks like it might be Austronesian more than anything else...
Last edited by Alexius on Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lazar
Landed Gentry
Posts: 2107
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:49 pm UTC
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby Lazar » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:16 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:Ok, I'm out of sensible guesses for Indo-Aryan languages (unless it's really very obscure) so I'm guessing it's Dravidian. Tamil seems a bit too obvious once people have narrowed it down to Dravidian for that. I'm going to guess Kannada because IIRC, the region it's spoken is one of the most heavily Muslim parts of Southern India.

It is Dravidian, but it's not Tamil or Kannada.
And remember, my friends, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

User avatar
Carlington
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:46 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby Carlington » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:31 am UTC

Alexius, that one doesn't look Austronesian to me.

I hope this doesn't mean there's too many languages going at once:

Mrm Tat Kampunawkwan mrm tantukwan impananaŋpayɲcut antiɲanm, Malwampi antiɲanm tay mn yaŋkay tantawrawt anak Macnumun. Tay ikn mnta nantayɲakmpn mrm tumpntut imparpatmpicantawk tay mpa impayakalcantawk nampɨnamamaknkwalcampitayn namarawt mn anak mnayan. Mrm kwalcampi antiɲanm impawrampicantawk.


I can provide more text if it'll help, as well.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

User avatar
The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students
Posts: 4398
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:47 am UTC
Location: The Daily Bugle

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:58 am UTC

Mrm Tat Kampunawkwan mrm tantukwan impananaŋpayɲcut antiɲanm, Malwampi antiɲanm tay mn yaŋkay tantawrawt anak Macnumun. Tay ikn mnta nantayɲakmpn mrm tumpntut imparpatmpicantawk tay mpa impayakalcantawk nampɨnamamaknkwalcampitayn namarawt mn anak mnayan. Mrm kwalcampi antiɲanm impawrampicantawk.

I think it's from New Guinea, but I can't really narrow it down beyond that.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam


Return to “Language/Linguistics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests