23%
Deathly Hallows
18%

Total votes: 62

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Favorite HP book?

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 pm UTC

So, now that the series is over, which one was your favorite?

My heart will always hold a special place for Goblet of Fire, but I don't know how much that one was actually better than the later ones, and how much it was just the first one I thought was really good. Having listened to them one after the other fairly recently, I'd say the only one that could give 4 a run for its money is 6 (Half-Blood Prince).

My guess would be that this trend is pretty common, but I included all of them to preclude any complaints that I didn't include your choice in the poll.

Also, I know some of you didn't read them and/or think they're all crap. Obviously this thread isn't for you, so move along now.

(Yes, I did mostly make this because Pi started encroaching on my poll-count, but I am also genuinely curious.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:26 pm UTC

That was a very hard choice, but I had to pick #4 - it introduced my favorite two characters and was probably the happiest point of Harry's life if you don't count the epilogue.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:02 am UTC

I picked #4 as well, it was just my favorite overall.

After that, this would be my ranking:
6, 3, 5, 1, 2, 7
Last edited by b.i.o on Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:07 am UTC

I like Harry Potter and the Otter/Duck
=]

kcr

Postby kcr » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:12 am UTC

__Kit wrote:I like Harry Potter and the Otter/Duck

An underrated classic.

5, 6, 7 are my favorites. But that's probably just because I read them very recently. (I didn't vote in the poll.)

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:07 am UTC

#7 was my favourite, until the epilogue when it slipped down to last.
So the next would be #6
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:25 pm UTC

Deathly Hallows can go fuck off.

Half-Blood Prince was the sex. End. That book fucking delivered.

Close second is Goblet of Fire.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Invisible_Insane
Out of Sight, Out of Mind

Postby Invisible_Insane » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:50 pm UTC

The epilogue for Deathly Hallows bothered me nearly as much as the epilogue for Crime And Punishment. "Their love resurrected them." Disgusting.
God is to Microsoft as Human Nature is to Windows Vista.

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:23 pm UTC

Invisible_Insane wrote:The epilogue for Deathly Hallows bothered me nearly as much as the epilogue for Crime And Punishment. "Their love resurrected them." Disgusting.

That whole book annoyed me...deathly hallows should have been several hundred pages longer. There were so many things she didn't bother to develop...

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:47 pm UTC

Not the least of which being WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT VEIL THING IN ORDER OF THE PHOENIX AND WHERE DID SIRIUS' BODY GO??

That was like the only reason I read that book. I thought "Finally! I can know what that veil thing is!". Literally. I thought this when I laid my hand on the book at the store.
Spoiler:

*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:41 pm UTC

I went for Half-Blood Prince, but GoF was really close.

6, 4, 5, 2, 1, 3, 7
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:06 pm UTC

Silver2Falcon wrote:
Invisible_Insane wrote:The epilogue for Deathly Hallows bothered me nearly as much as the epilogue for Crime And Punishment. "Their love resurrected them." Disgusting.

That whole book annoyed me...deathly hallows should have been several hundred pages longer. There were so many things she didn't bother to develop...

Agreed. It seemed too rushed for the most part, and seemed to drag out forever in the sections when they were camping in the woods and sneaking into the nearest town/village/whatever to get supplies, news, and whatnots.

One thing that bothered me about book 7: If Harry's father was an Animagus, why didn't Harry himself practice at being an Animagus? I'm sure he, Ron, and Hermione could have tried hard enough. If they knew how to put a Disillusionment Charm on the tent, so that anyone who came close to it would see it as something else, or else make it appear invisible, they wouldn't really have had much of a problem hiding from the Death Eaters.

I like them all equally, really. But the two that top my list would have to be #5 and #6.
PRG

An important message for you:

peter

Postby peter » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:59 am UTC

Sorcerer's Stone, or "Philosopher's Stone".

I only read #1 and #2, so yeah. Thought it was pretty good, with a good ending.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:05 am UTC

peter wrote:Sorcerer's Stone, or "Philosopher's Stone".

This makes me lol.
=]

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:14 am UTC

It makes me cry, actually.
Spoiler:

*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:12 am UTC

Narsil wrote:Not the least of which being WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT VEIL THING IN ORDER OF THE PHOENIX AND WHERE DID SIRIUS' BODY GO??

That was like the only reason I read that book. I thought "Finally! I can know what that veil thing is!". Literally. I thought this when I laid my hand on the book at the store.

Well there's that, but the thing that annoyed me most was the whole RAB thing. First, she creates a load of suspense by leaving that at the end of book 6. Then, in book 7, she puts in a simple narrative, and doesn't even bother to try to explain Regulus's reason for doing what he did....

Memo

Postby Memo » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:27 am UTC

Silver2Falcon wrote:
Narsil wrote:Not the least of which being WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT VEIL THING IN ORDER OF THE PHOENIX AND WHERE DID SIRIUS' BODY GO??

Well there's that, but the thing that annoyed me most was the whole RAB thing. First, she creates a load of suspense by leaving that at the end of book 6. Then, in book 7, she puts in a simple narrative, and doesn't even bother to try to explain Regulus's reason for doing what he did....

Why should she explain something obvious? I mean, it happened after the Kreacher vs Voldemort thing. And who was the one loved Kreacher to pieces? RAB.

Dr.Robert

Postby Dr.Robert » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:14 am UTC

3rd book for me. It was just when Harry Potter started to become less of a newbie at magic. The time sequence was my favorite chapters in the entire series. The whole second half of that book was absolutely stellar.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:35 pm UTC

peter wrote:Sorcerer's Stone, or "Philosopher's Stone".

You lose. Firstly, why bother voting when you only read the first two (shortest, most juvenile) books of the series?

Secodly, the scare quotes should be around sorcerer, not philosopher. Because that was just a stupid American editing job that probably reflects the fear that a book with "philosopher" in the title will be assumed to be boring.

The philosopher's stone, while mythical, is very well-attested throughout the history of alchemical "research", and was supposed to do exactly what they say it does in the book (transmutate metals and create the elixir of life, among other nifty things). The "sorcerer's stone", on the other hand, first appeared in American versions of the first Harry Potter book and doesn't really mean anything.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:58 pm UTC

I actually really, really liked "Deathly Hallows" despite all of you hating on it. I didn't like the Epilogue, but aside from that...

I suppose, were I to rate the others, it would be...erm...
3 = 4 = 6
And then... 3, 4, 6 > 5 > 1 > 2
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:26 am UTC

With the first 4 books, I felt the like the whole time I was just waiting for the revelations at the end. The climaxes were fantastic, the rest of the books not so much.

When the OotP started, I had an immediate feeling of "stuff is happening." HPB and DH had the same feeling to me.

I go 5/6/7 > 4 > 1/2/3.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:41 pm UTC

You know it is perfectly acceptable to include equalities and inequalities in the same line:

5 = 6 = 7 > 4 > 1 = 2 = 3 would actually be more clear to me than using other characters between the ones you rate equally.

Just so long as no one says something like 4 > 3 > 5 > 1 > 4. Cycles=Lose
---

(he/him/his)

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:01 pm UTC

I just love that no one picked two...It's SO TRUE!
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Joseph

Postby Joseph » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:03 pm UTC

I haven't finished 7 yet, but for now:

7 > 5 > 4 > 1 = 2 > 3 > 6

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:05 pm UTC

3>5>1=4>2 I haven't finished 7 and I really don't remember 6. Actually I've never read two. I read some of it, and then I saw the movie and then I was told the movie was all I needed and two wasn't worth reading.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Violetstranger

Postby Violetstranger » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:06 pm UTC

I think the games in GoF presented the most interesting dynamic.

mister k

Postby mister k » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:27 pm UTC

Book 4. I have problems with 6- once it gets going it's actually awesome, but it takes a bit of time to get there. As for the 7 haters- the veil was the veil of death, I thought that was pretty damn obvious- and the epilogue initially threw me until I realised the whole point of it isn't for US to have our happy ending. It's for Harry. He spends all 7 books longing for proper family and a sense of belonging, and the epilogue quite clearly points out he's got it. Also it gives a little closure on Severus with Harry's talk to his son.

In order, I guess I'd go 4 3 6 7 5 1 2. The first two are a little unexciting, and 5 lets itself down thanks to shouty Harry.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:38 pm UTC

Prisoner of Azkaban, then Half-Blood Prince. Deathly Hallows wasn't terrible, but it wasn't particularly good.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:26 pm UTC

I voted 6. I think mostly because it pains me to read the first few now - Harry and co are so painfully naive. I can't really consider 5 objectively because my skin crawls when Umbridge is in a scene, and 7, which I did mostly like, a) has that travesty of an epilogue, b) kills off Snape (*sniff*), c) really skims over some things. It's not that they're not understandable, but that on the whole it gives the book this uneven quality.

I really need to re-read 4. It's been too long. Except I imagine I'd have to just keep going through the end again if I did so, and I don't want to dedicate four evenings of my time right now.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Herman

Postby Herman » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:27 am UTC

"5" > "6" > "3" > "1" > "4" > "2" > "7" >> 1 (They're all really good).

Kythyria

Postby Kythyria » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:31 am UTC

I voted #5. #7 had that stupid near-death experience at the end, and does seem a bit uneven in hindsight. Apparently the film of #5 leaves loads of stuff out, which is a shame, because the effects people could have really gone to town on some of it.

For me it's 5>6>4=3=2=1

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:47 pm UTC

Oh, the effects people did go to town on it. That's part of why everything else sucked, methinks.
---

(he/him/his)

ocarina_21

Postby ocarina_21 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:54 pm UTC

My personal favourite... I guess I'll have to give it to Deathly Hallows. Reading that book got me a prescription from my doctor. I got it at the midnight release, and read it solid. It was hot, so I sat with my face straight in the fan. The several hours with my face straight in the fan dried my eyes. I have to take eyedrops now...

Return to “Books”