Unusual Book Discussion Thread

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Unusual Book Discussion Thread

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed May 23, 2012 5:29 am UTC

I'm making this to discuss our more, er, interesting literature selections: currently owned, read long ago, or wish to read later. (can we keep the colour-coding?)

The two books that prompted this are
  • The Big Book of Jerkcity—what better coffee table book than this beauty?
  • The K Foundation Burn a Million Quid—I don't technically own it, but I've got the video and accidentally shipped this to a friend as an extra-surprising birthday present. I may buy a copy for myself someday, though.
  • Barry Trotter and the Unauthorized Parody—I got this on Amazon because it was cheap, along with Bored of the Rings, and found this one to be riotously hilarious.
  • The Elements of Typographic Style, version 3.2—not so much an unusual book for a designer, but I got this as a birthday present, and I'm even more of a typography fan.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Re: Unusual Book Discussion Thread

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sun May 27, 2012 3:02 am UTC

Is this thread for unusual discussion of books, or discussion of unusual books?
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Sun May 27, 2012 4:09 am UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:Is this thread for unusual discussion of books, or discussion of unusual books?

The latter, mostly. However, some unusual discussion of unusual books won't be unwelcome.

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Wed May 30, 2012 4:07 pm UTC

This just makes me wonder what makes a book unusual. Is there some aspect they share that qualifies them as such?

I guess I mean to say that I find the lack of definition of unusual off-putting.
418 I'm a teapot

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed May 30, 2012 6:04 pm UTC

I left it open to interpretation to get the most books mentioned. If you think the book is an unusual reading choice for whatever reason (esoteric subject, being The Big Book of Jerkicty, an actual rare book,…), go ahead and mention it. If it's a relatively well-known work, but it is unusual for your reading habits, go ahead and mention that as well.

madd0ct0r

Postby madd0ct0r » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:58 am UTC

i remember an extremly fun book that presented everyday situations as formulae, with each variable having a look up table.

Edit there we go:

http://www.amazon.com/Geek-Logik-Foolpr ... 0761140212

Edit edit - since the amazon prevew has nothing intresting in it, this is (i think) the authors blog: geeklogik.blogspot.com

('I think' becuase blogspot is blocked for me, so i can't actually go there myself)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

I just picked up Danielewski's 50 year Sword, but don't think it's really for me. I didn't like Only Revolutions either; his poetry isn't as fun as House of Leaves.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Return to “Books”