Mourn the Passed, Celebrate those Still Producing

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

mind404

Mourn the Passed, Celebrate those Still Producing

Postby mind404 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:06 pm UTC

Came to this forum and actually got depressed while looking up some of my favorite authors and seeing the "XXX has died, lets celebrate his work" threads. Then to cheer myself up made myself consider those authors I enjoy who are still alive and producing.

Sooo ITT, list authors (lets try to keep it contemporary) that have passed that make you sad, but for every passed author you must list a still alive and producing author. You can list why they are important if you would like or just make a simple list if you want to keep it succinct.

Passed:
David Eddings: The Elenium are the first books I ever stayed up reading on my own just because I wanted to find out what happened next.
Brian Jacques: Redwall series are one both my Mom and I enjoyed and could trade off as new ones came out and chat about them.

Still alive and kicking words into your brain:
Steven Brust: Not so much the The Khaavren Romances series, but the Vlad the Assassin series is something like Silk and Talon mixed with Garion and Sparkhawk so it makes me happy.
John Scalzi: Old Man's War series was enjoyable and his stand alone novels can be pretty good (defiantly odd at times), plus he does a good job of emailing you back if you ever write him.

I know I have more, but these are just the ones that come to mind right now, lets see everyone else's and maybe we'll discover some new authors through similar taste.
Chainmaille, our best personal raptor defense wear

Adam H

Re: Mourn the Passed, Celebrate those Still Producing

Postby Adam H » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:50 pm UTC

I'll do an easy one...

Passed:
Robert Jordan :cry:

Brandon Sanderson :D
-Adam

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:04 pm UTC

Passed:
James P Hogan. I'm still looking for a copy of "Code of the Lifemaker", whose first chapter is worth the price of admission. Some really beautiful hard science fiction. Died a year ago.

Start of prologue

Charles Stross. Math-Lovecraftian nihilistic humorous spy novels (The Laundry), "step into another world, you are a princess" fantasy from the perspective of the dark lord (The Merchant Princes), one of the best singularity novels (accelleradro), a decent hard science-fiction space opera (iron sunrise etc), and some beautiful gibson-esque near-future drama (Halting State, Rule 34). Nothing he writes (well, publishes) sucks.

Peter Watts. Almost all of his novels are online for free. Read Blindsight, but not at night. Not at night.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

mind404

Postby mind404 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:26 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:Passed:
James P Hogan. I'm still looking for a copy of "Code of the Lifemaker", whose first chapter is worth the price of admission. Some really beautiful hard science fiction. Died a year ago.

Here ya go, take your pick.
Chainmaille, our best personal raptor defense wear

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:13 am UTC

Dead:
Diana Wynne Jones. Easily one of the best, most consistent authors of juvenile fantasy ever published.

Still working:
Ursula K LeGuin.
Cannot enthuse enough about her body of work, fiction and non-fiction alike. May she still be writing when I'm 90!
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Return to “Books”