What books would you like to see made into movies?

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Frimble

Re: What books would you like to see made into movies?

Postby Frimble » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

I would like to see "Ender's Game" made into a film. They would have to change the bit with the fight in the shower though. Still they could set the fight somewhere else without any problem.

I would also like to see Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve made into a film. Moving cities, Sabre duels, undead automatons. It would be epic.
"Absolute precision buys the freedom to dream meaningfully." - Donal O' Shea: The Poincaré Conjecture.
"We need a reality check here. Roll a D20." - Algernon the Radish
"Should I marry W? Not unless she tells me what the other letters in her name are" Woody Allen.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:57 pm UTC

Frimble wrote:I would like to see "Ender's Game" made into a film. They would have to change the bit with the fight in the shower though. Still they could set the fight somewhere else without any problem.

You're in luck. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1731141/
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Frimble

Postby Frimble » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:
Frimble wrote:I would like to see "Ender's Game" made into a film. They would have to change the bit with the fight in the shower though. Still they could set the fight somewhere else without any problem.

You're in luck. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1731141/

Awesome! Now I just need to find a copy of Ender's Shadow.
"Absolute precision buys the freedom to dream meaningfully." - Donal O' Shea: The Poincaré Conjecture.
"We need a reality check here. Roll a D20." - Algernon the Radish
"Should I marry W? Not unless she tells me what the other letters in her name are" Woody Allen.

tomandlu

Postby tomandlu » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:06 am UTC

The Mortal Engines Quartet by Phillip Reeve would get my vote.

Huge mobile steam-punk cities rolling over the world, consuming each other; air-ships, fighter planes, and air-battles; killer-robots whose CPUs are partly constructed from human brains; submarines and abandoned undersea cities (an influence on Bioshock's Rapture, I suspect); doomsday weapons and a make of gun called the Schadenfreude .45

Yes please...
How can I think my way out of the problem when the problem is the way I think?

learsfool

Postby learsfool » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:13 am UTC

Well, since Game of Thrones is such a hit . . .

What about Joe Abercrombie's 'The Blade Itself'/'Before They are Hanged', and 'Last Argument of Kings' trilogy?

It's at least as dark, but more realistically so IMHO, and some of the characters are DELIGHTFUL.

In particular Sand Dan Glokta is a delightfully screwed up, and we haven't seen the 'arrogant hero turned crippled inquisitor in constant pain' angle played up well, have we?

Oh! And speaking of 'inquisitor'. Has anybody read any of the Warhammer 40K books by Dan Abnett?

The Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies have some SPECTACULAR visuals in them, and definitely would translate really well to a big screen.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:10 am UTC

This was a relatively lesser-known semi-children's book series, but I think the Vampire Plagues trilogy would make for some good movies. You've got Victorian England (and Paris), 3 intelligent child protagonists, their adult counterparts, and Vampires.

And what's fun here is... they involve the ancient Maya world. Vampires, in this book, are followers of the Mayan bat god Camazotz, who is the protagonist of the series. So you have Mexico and the Maya too.

I think it would be a fresh addition to the genre.

I know nothing about the final 3 books:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_Plagues_series

learsfool

Postby learsfool » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:07 am UTC

You know what's funny? I kind of thought that the WORST thing to make into a movie, because by far the best part of that book was the twist at the end!

It is, however, as you've already been informed, in progress. Makes me wish I hadn't read the book yet!

I would also like to see Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve made into a film. Moving cities, Sabre duels, undead automatons. It would be epic.

Dude. . . you're SO right! That whole series is MADE for a movie treatment, isn't it? It's already almost half-script in parts! And the visuals are DELIGHTFUL!

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

learsfool wrote:You know what's funny? I kind of thought that the WORST thing to make into a movie, because by far the best part of that book was the twist at the end!
Really? I didn't think that was an especially mind-blowing twist. OSC even telegraphed it quite a bit.

About halfway through, I thought the twist was going to be
Spoiler:
that the Bugs weren't a threat, and the plan was to turn Ender loose on the Russians.

I would think the biggest difficulty in filming it would be that you have to bowlderize the hell out of important scenes in order to make it inside the studio system. I don't think 20th Century Fox is going to sign off on showing a ten-year-old wrestle naked with other adolescents and
Spoiler:
commit multiple murders.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

learsfool

Postby learsfool » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:
learsfool wrote:You know what's funny? I kind of thought that the WORST thing to make into a movie, because by far the best part of that book was the twist at the end!
Really? I didn't think that was an especially mind-blowing twist. OSC even telegraphed it quite a bit.

About halfway through, I thought the twist was going to be
Spoiler:
that the Bugs weren't a threat, and the plan was to turn Ender loose on the Russians.

I think I had it half-guessed myself. I was a wee tyke then.

I never really was impressed by the book myself. The end was the best part of a slightly above average book for me.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

The Battle Room parts are clearly the best, 'zawl I'm sayin'.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

learsfool

Postby learsfool » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:The Battle Room parts are clearly the best, 'zawl I'm sayin'.

They definitely translate best to film!

Though compared to the sort of stuff that I read in the Eisenhorn trilogy (since I brought it up earlier) or some bits in Lumley's necroscope books, or some of the more accessible bits from Benford, Baxter, and Sheffield?

Yeah, just wait until THOSE get a chance to be movies. Joygasms.

centrifugal

Postby centrifugal » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:37 pm UTC

The man in the high castle by Philip K Dick...and crying in lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon.

robert eggleton

Postby robert eggleton » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:21 am UTC

Danny Boyd, filmmaker, emailed me last night about Rarity from the Hollow. He said that he was 80 pages in and "Wow!.' Please keep your fingers crossed. The most recent review was a couple of weeks ago by the Electric Review, A Universe on its Edge. Rarity has also been requested for review by Talisman.

jstylen

Postby jstylen » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:33 pm UTC

I would like to see some of the sequels to Ender's Game made into movies. Speaker for the dead and so on seem unlikely though since they take a slower pace. I could definitely see the shadow series translated to movie form though. Just about finished with shadow of the giant now.

cemper93

Postby cemper93 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:38 pm UTC

I'm halfway through Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn whatever-it's-called-in-Greek-ology, and -- magic performed by chugging illicit substances? A dark fantasy world under a red, dying sun? Badass magicians levitating in clouds of horseshoes, literally hauling people at each other for no better reason than being absolutely badass? An epic plot by total evil itself? Huge battles for the future of all of mankind, and the survival of earth itself? Monsters with ten-inch nails driven into their head slaughtering random people with axes of Obsidian? It has it all!

The books so far were creative, but the writing and characters weren't extraordinary even by Fantasy standards (plus the second volume dragged along where it wasn't recycling ideas from the first one), but I absolutely want this as a movie.
Last edited by cemper93 on Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:04 pm UTC

Yeah, the plot of Mistborn is top-notch and the setting definitely could translate to the screen.

The second and third book are slow at times, but both have their moments and I like the end a lot. I think a stand alone movie based on the first book would have to cut out too much of what makes the series awesome, but a trilogy or miniseries could be really good.
-Adam

cemper93

Postby cemper93 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:15 pm UTC

I finished the third book yesterday, and it definitely redeemed the second one for me. Even the writing was a step up from the first two books, I felt, or maybe I have just gotten used to Sanderson's irritating habit of constantly repeating things that the reader should definitely already know (usually because they have been repeated ten times before).

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:38 pm UTC

Huh, I've somehow missed this thread.

Basically any of the Culture novels.

Return to “Books”