Good and serious book (or books) on human sexuality

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Holograph

Good and serious book (or books) on human sexuality

Postby Holograph » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:28 am UTC

I'm a human so I'm kind of naturally interested in sexuality. But whenever I try to look around for a good book on the subject I only find some kind of self-help pick up crap. I understand that those books are fun too but it's just not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a non-fiction book that handles it all scientifically, without being far too hard to read. (I've quite recently read a steven pinker book (the blank slate) I'm imagining something at that level of reading) Anyone know such a book? :¬)

radams

Re: Good and serious book (or books) on human sexuality

Postby radams » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:21 am UTC

If you haven't already, you should certainly read Desmond Morris's "The Naked Ape" trilogy (especially the third book, "Intimate Behaviour").

delusional

Postby delusional » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:21 pm UTC

"Gender Trouble" by Judith Butler talks a lot about sexuality as it springs from notions of gender. It's not really scientific in the empirical sense though, being more a part of philosophy / critical theory.

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:17 pm UTC

Sodomy and the Pirate Tradition
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

Ross1

Postby Ross1 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:04 am UTC

Shame you said serious and non-fiction, because the inner circle by t.c. boyle is great. Actually although its fiction it does feature Kinsey and goes into detail about some of his work, and any good, serious book on human sexuality is going to feature a lot of kinsey.

Holograph

Postby Holograph » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:04 pm UTC

Thanks for all the replies ^^ I'll check them out.

EDIT: Tough of course if someone has any more suggestions they're welcome :)
EDIT 2: You know what This smile -> :) is seriously creepy! D: Therefore I shall add a nose! :¬)

jarvisknocker

Postby jarvisknocker » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:24 am UTC

Sperm Wars by Robin Baker. Applies evolutionary psychology theory with physiology, and comes up with some absolutely fascinating (and accurate) predictions of human behaviour
and people. Its almost considered a classic - there's a few more on the topic as well, but this is a great starting point.

That, and, The Red Queen - Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature.

Of course, this is best read if you're a believer of science and evolution. If not, I don't think any of it will get through.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:00 am UTC

I've heard lots of interesting things about Sex at Dawn, which tackles evolutionary psychology and the notion that 50ies gender roles are "what comes naturally to the human specie" - it's definitely on my list of books that I need to read.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

vector

Postby vector » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:00 am UTC

There's Foucault's History of Human Sexuality, which is in the same vein as Gender Trouble. If you enjoy that, I have a whole lot more stuff in that vein.
Come visit the Bay12 Mafia subforum: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=20.0

Return to “Books”