Go the F**k To Sleep

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Go the F**k To Sleep

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:02 am UTC

As Read By Samuel L Jackson.

Some of you might think I'm joking, but this is a real book, and a real audiobook (see above).

When Adam Mansbach's daughter Vivien was two, she would take up to two hours to fall asleep. Exhausted and exasperated, one night Mansbach posted a note on Facebook, "Look out for my forthcoming children’s book, Go the — to Sleep". Following his post, friends of Mansbach responded enthusiastically, so that Mansbach began writing what was then only a hypothetical book. Mansbach had the illustrations for the picture book done by a friend, illustrator Ricardo Cortés (a contributor to The New York Times), and approached Akashic Books, a book publisher from New York.

Go the Fuck to Sleep was subject to an unintended viral marketing campaign after PDF copies of the book, presumably from advance copies sent to booksellers, were distributed via email. While the book was originally scheduled for release in October 2011, by the end of April the book had hit #2 on Amazon.com's bestseller list, and by May 12 the book was #1. In the meantime, the publishing date was moved up to June, and the publisher increased its first printing to 150,000 copies.[ Akashic, which acknowledged the importance of social media in popularizing the book ("it's a miracle from the heavens for us"), is trying to prevent piracy of the book. The rights for the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth were acquired by Canongate. The film rights have been optioned by Fox 2000.

My children need the hell out of this.

JudeMorrigan

Re: Go the F**k To Sleep

Postby JudeMorrigan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:40 pm UTC

Even though I don't have kids, I still downloaded this last night when a one of my friends linked to it on facebook. It's kind of epic.

brume

Postby brume » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:38 am UTC

Downloaded. Really funny.
There's a rumor that Werner Herzog will do a reading as well, but that might be related to the
fake Herzog readings of various children's books.

blu

Postby blu » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

Here's a link to download, in case you're feeling curious. It's available for free right now.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:42 am UTC

Not available in Australia :(

We're sorry. Due to publishing rights restrictions, we are not authorized to sell this item in the country where you live.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:27 am UTC

I watched SLJ's reading on YouTube, and truly you could not have found a better person to read it, with the possible exception of Stephen Fry.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:24 am UTC

Listened to the SLJ reading. It's too funny. The book itself is volumes upon volumes of truth. While I don't have kids myself, I know I was a lot of trouble to get to sleep, and I've known many parents who have had trouble getting their kids to sleep. This book is waaaaaay overdue.

I'm thinking of sending a copy to a friend of mine who had twins back in March. They're only three months old, but already she's having a hard time getting them to sleep.
PRG

An important message for you:

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:08 am UTC

This is even better than "It's a Book". Which my library happens to own. Which is fantastic.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:54 am UTC

I want the recording of this to put on when I'm having trouble getting to sleep...
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:53 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:But is it better than We Are In A Book?

Hm. We Are In A Book is more obviously fourth-wall breaking, to the point of being metafiction. But then again, you can actually read it to kids without horrified gasps from other adults in the vicinity.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:17 pm UTC

Whoops, I'm a child abuser!

Joan Demarest is an attorney in Corvallis, Oregon, and the mother of three young boys. Demarest told me that initially she thought the book was funny. That was before she read it. "Now I find it unsettling. I don't like violent language in association with children."

She has good reason to be concerned about the message behind such a parody. Demarest was the prosecuting attorney in one of Oregon's most high-profile child murder cases. She understands the fear that far too many children endure because the lines of what's appropriate parenting have become blurred.

"Imagine if this were written about Jews, blacks, Muslims or Latinos," says Dr. David Arredondo. He is an expert on child development and founder of The Children's Program, in the San Francisco metropolitan area, which provides consultation and training for those working with troubled youths.

blu

Postby blu » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:16 pm UTC

So if I'm reading this violent book, I'm killing my metaphorical black latino judeo-muslim baby?

Nobody is suggesting that there's a connection between Adam Mansbach's book and child abuse or child neglect.

Oh goody.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:26 am UTC

blu wrote:
Nobody is suggesting that there's a connection between Adam Mansbach's book and child abuse or child neglect.

Oh goody.

Exactly. She just brought it up, and based the ENTIRE ARTICLE on it.

But she isn't suggesting it.

NO-ONE is.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:24 am UTC

I'm nobody, who are you?
Are you nobody too?
Then there's two of us,
Don't tell....
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:30 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
blu wrote:

Oh goody.

Exactly. She just brought it up, and based the ENTIRE ARTICLE on it.

But she isn't suggesting it.

NO-ONE is.

Fuck Noone! Always suggesting shit like this. Fuck that guy.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:41 pm UTC

As read by Noni Hazlehurst.

For those who didn't grow up in Australia, Noni is an actress, but she is also a much-loved former presenter of Play School, a show where among other things they would read the kind of books this parodies.

Spoiler:
I do love how she starts it out just like she used to read picture books on Play School, but the reading becomes more desparate as it goes on (and she even makes the little side comments like she used to).
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:46 pm UTC

blu wrote:So if I'm reading this violent book, I'm killing my metaphorical black latino judeo-muslim baby?

Oh goody.

Wait, does this apply to video games; because, oh my God the number of people I'm apparently going to run over or randomly beat with a stick! Oh those poor future hypothetical victims.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:54 pm UTC

Is it bad that I'd actually read this to a kid? Or maybe just pick out a relevant page per night... It's not like they don't know the word anyways, they seem to pick it up pretty young these days. You'd need to wait until they were old enough to get the humour in it and know not to repeat the word themselves, but I reckon my 7 yr old niece might quite enjoy it.

Sean Quixote

Go the Fuck to Sleep

Postby Sean Quixote » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:49 pm UTC

Not sure if this was the best place to put this (would definately get more attention in General, but that's a double-edged sword for people like me who aren't quite used to forums this big :P), but anyway I heard about it on the news cause it's stirring up a lot of controversy and blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda. This is a real children's book, and somehow they got Samuel L. Jackson to read it for the audiobook version, which was just, pure marketing genius to say the least... Anyway, without further ado:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56gdg2ntfwM

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Re: Go the Fuck to Sleep

Postby Lazar » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:03 pm UTC

Exit the vampires' castle.

Sean Quixote

Re: Go the Fuck to Sleep

Postby Sean Quixote » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:10 pm UTC

Dough. =\ GG me for not searching first...

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:14 pm UTC

/me GraphiteGirl's you

Does that feel better?

Return to “Books”