The Wise Man's Fear - Patrick Rothfuss

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

ImTestingSleeping

The Wise Man's Fear - Patrick Rothfuss

Postby ImTestingSleeping » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:51 am UTC

After a bit of a search, I wasn't able to find a post on the recently released second book of Patrick Rothfuss's trilogy and thought I'd start one up.

I have to say that I once more found myself falling in love with Rothfuss's writing style and tore through the book in a matter of days, but I have some concerns. My main concern is that... this was the second book of three and it seems there is a LOT left to cover:

Spoiler:
It seems like Kvothe is still no closer to finding the Amryr, who were supposed to help him find the Chandrian, which I was under the presumption was going to be the goal of his every move since the death of his parents. Instead, in this second nearly 800 page behemoth of a fantasy novel, we find Kvothe just sort of screwing around to be honest.

The whole part where he goes to Severen, saves the king's life, works with the mercenaries, spends time with Felurian, and trains with the Adem is a complete waste of time from what I can tell. Don't get me wrong, it was a riveting read and I enjoyed every page, but about 500 pages in and from then on I kept thinking, "Okay where the hell is he going with this...?"

All in all, it just seems like the second book raised a bunch more questions and answered basically none of the previous. I don't see how Rothfuss could maintain the pace of the story he's laid out in the first too books (which is a great pace in my opinion) and finish up in the third book. I hope he doesn't rush the story in order to tie all the loose ends he's thrown out there in the first two books. Instead, extend the series. You'll get more cash so the publishers shouldn't mind and the fans will get a better series overall.

Ulc

Re: The Wise Man's Fear - Patrick Rothfuss

Postby Ulc » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:41 am UTC

I agree to some extent, I think there was a lot of important character growth in Wise Mans Fear - but yes, it's hard to imagine how he will finish up what we know is supposed to happen.

Spoiler:
He still have to meet the amyr, acquire the nickname "king killer", lose his power (I'm really curious about how *that* is supposed to happen) - but the set up for it is rather good.

It ends on a happy note, which means it's perfectly suited for getting him kicked out of uni - particularly as Hemme is in charge now, and it's pretty obvious that his top priority is to get kvothe kicked out so hard that his descendants ten generations down the line will still be sore in the ass. I'd predict that the next book uses, say, 50 pages to reestablish that his life is good at the moment, then he gets kicked out.

Personally, what bothered me the most was the three - it absolves him of some of the blame of the world going to hell, which I really don't like.
Last edited by Ulc on Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Re: The Wise Man's Fear - Patrick Rothfuss

Postby clockworkmonk » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:37 pm UTC

I'm actually fine with the style and direction its going currently. I mean, it has the marks of a Legend, and one of the things legends have in common is the hero often sorta dicks around to get really good at lot of stuff. And I would be fine with it if several of the questions went un-answered.
418 I'm a teapot

Return to “Books”