Cthulu - a quick question

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Gerino

Cthulu - a quick question

Postby Gerino » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:34 pm UTC

So, I happen to have never read anything related to Cthulu nor have I played RPG based on it, but obviously I've heard about it and I get the general idea. Now my question is: is there any suggested or even correct reading list I could stick to? As in, if I wanted to get into it, what should I read first?

Mega D

Re: Cthulu - a quick question

Postby Mega D » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:38 pm UTC

There's an old thread that has some pretty good suggestions. Lovecraft's stuff is mostly short stories with no real relation to each other, so it's pretty easy to just pick something and try it out. Wikisource has a pretty good variety of his public domain stuff.

One of my favorites is The Colour Out of Space. There's also The Call of Cthulhu if you're specifically interested in the big guy himself.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:15 pm UTC

*pulls out his old Necronomicon, pats it gently*

Well, first of all I recommend: do not overdose. Like, only read one story a week or something. Do not bring a lot of his stories with you in a tome on a skiing trip, that will ruin Lovecraft for a long time.

I recommend Herbert West - Reanimator, and The Rats in the Walls. They are my favourite stories of his.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:24 am UTC

Just buy the Commemorative Edition 'Necronomicon' I love it so hard, and it is pretty cheap.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:32 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:Just buy the Commemorative Edition 'Necronomicon' I love it so hard, and it is pretty cheap.

I agree that it's a nice looking book, but apparently the Penguin Books versions by ST Joshi have a lot less types and the annotations might come in quite handy too.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Garm

Postby Garm » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:50 am UTC

The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward is probably my favorite work of his, it's seriously creepy.

Do not, under any circumstances (well maybe if your life is threatened), read any of homage fiction that pops up in execrable little collections every few years. It's all uniformly horrible.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:02 am UTC

Zarq wrote:
Jesse wrote:Just buy the Commemorative Edition 'Necronomicon' I love it so hard, and it is pretty cheap.

I agree that it's a nice looking book, but apparently the Penguin Books versions by ST Joshi have a lot less types and the annotations might come in quite handy too.

I actually have the Penguin version as well, and I used to carry it everywhere so it is horrendously worn out. Good editions.

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:28 pm UTC

Personally I have always wondered about those ancient rites of Ctulhu that are hinted at so often. I don't think Lovecraft ever mentions what goes on there exactly except that it is unholy and evil and horrible and generally not nice. He always alludes to it but never says what the nature of this evil really is. Just spill the beans Lovecraft! What do they do, nibble your bum? Human sacrifice? Rape? Drugs? Are there furries? :?:
This topic desperately needs a post from Summer Glau.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This is nøt å signåture.™

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:09 pm UTC

Spoilers, obviously:

Spoiler:
The Call of Cthulhu wrote:It was voodoo, apparently, but voodoo of a more terrible sort than they had ever known; and some of their women and children had disappeared since the malevolent tom-tom had begun its incessant beating far within the black haunted woods where no dweller ventured.
From a wide circle of ten scaffolds set up at regular intervals with the flame-girt monolith as a centre hung, head downward, the oddly marred bodies of the helpless squatters who had disappeared.

So we've got abduction of women and children and ritual sacrifice (probably with torture) of said individuals.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

OllieGarkey

Postby OllieGarkey » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:34 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:Well, first of all I recommend: do not overdose. Like, only read one story a week or something. Do not bring a lot of his stories with you in a tome on a skiing trip, that will ruin Lovecraft for a long time.

That was my mistake. Okay, I'm off to read A Shadow Over Innsmouth.

Return to “Books”