The Pale King

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

TheAmazingRando

The Pale King

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:43 am UTC

I've been looking forward to this since before it had a name, before DFW's tragic death. And now it's only a month away.

Who else is as excited for this as I am? There was a new excerpt from it published in the New Yorker this week, which I recognized from a previous reading, and that along with the previous published pieces and the bits in Oblivion that are rumored to be parts of it have me almost giddy with anticipation.

I've never been so excited about a book release before, even knowing that it's unfinished and will, in that respect, be somewhat disappointing.

charliepanayi

Re: The Pale King

Postby charliepanayi » Tue May 10, 2011 8:51 am UTC

Sorry, it's a bit off topic, but what about his other books? I'm curious to try them first, especially Infinite Jest, are they worth a read?
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue May 10, 2011 7:38 pm UTC

Infinite Jest is one of my favorite novels, but it's a pretty difficult read. I tried reading it on and off for a few years, got about halfway through, but it wasn't until I'd read his short fiction and essays that I got the motivation to start over and plow through it. He has a pretty unique style, and it takes some getting used to. I'd recommend starting with his shorter stuff. Here's everything he wrote for Harpers, which includes Shipping Out (aka A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again) and Ticket to the Fair (aka Getting Away From Being Pretty Much Away From It All), which are both some of his best non-fiction, and also an excerpt from Brief Interviews with Hideous Men.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:28 pm UTC

There's a paragraph in the 2nd chapter that lasts for 10 pages. I've read too much of this stuff to be impressed by that - I'd swear I've seen a sentence do that. But, enjoying it so far (might finish reading something else first).
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Return to “Books”