Wheel of Time (Split from Geeky/Nerdy Kids Books)

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Giallo

Re: Wheel of Time (Split from Geeky/Nerdy Kids Books)

Postby Giallo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:13 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Trying to decide if I'll:

1. Wait for the ebook version.
2. Order it from Amazon, but have to find something else to read for the next 2 days.
3. Just go buy it at Barnes & Noble and start reading tonight.

If I'm not mistaken, the ebook is not yet available. You'll have to do with 2 or 3...
"Ich bin ein Teil von jener Kraft, die stets das Böse will und stets das Gute schafft."

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:My plan last year was to reread the entire series by... yesterday. And... right now I'm halfway through The Great Hunt. :(

Mine too, and I finished book 13 last night. My amazon order showed up today.... I'm just that good.

Now to get started.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

I thought about re-reading the series, but I have sooooo many other books to read. Got....9ish for Christmas, takes my 'to be read' pile to only abou 100 titles. Want to pace myself for 45-50 books this year. It will be hard if I do books like Malazan Book of the Fallen or GED. WoT is easier, even though he's wordy they're a pretty quick read - and fun to read. Though not sure how much I want to re-read about braid-tugging.

Also random thought - I wonder if Jordan's widow will license the franchise to another author. I think Sanderson has done a great job, but he seems too busy with other books to return to the world after this. It might be nice to see some short fiction set in this world(if done right).
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

Giallo wrote:If I'm not mistaken, the ebook is not yet available.
Correct, hence "Wait for the ebook version."
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Giallo

Postby Giallo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

emceng wrote:I thought about re-reading the series, but I have sooooo many other books to read. Got....9ish for Christmas, takes my 'to be read' pile to only abou 100 titles. Want to pace myself for 45-50 books this year. It will be hard if I do books like Malazan Book of the Fallen or GED. WoT is easier, even though he's wordy they're a pretty quick read - and fun to read. Though not sure how much I want to re-read about braid-tugging.

Also random thought - I wonder if Jordan's widow will license the franchise to another author. I think Sanderson has done a great job, but he seems too busy with other books to return to the world after this. It might be nice to see some short fiction set in this world(if done right).

Malazan Book of the Fallen is really, really good. I loved it :D
What is GED?
"Ich bin ein Teil von jener Kraft, die stets das Böse will und stets das Gute schafft."

Dark Avorian

Postby Dark Avorian » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

Holy sweet fuck. That was a bloodbath. Also bloody Mat cauthon for the win. And Androl.
The 62-foot tall statue of Jesus constructed out of styrofoam, wood and fiberglass resin caught on fire after the right hand of the statue was struck by lightning.

meatyochre wrote:And yea, verily the forums crowd spake: "Teehee!"

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:38 pm UTC

GED=Godel, Escher, Bach. Over my head kinda - I just can't seem to comprehend everything he's saying.

Only got halfway through the prologue last night :( May have more time tonight.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

emceng wrote:GED=Godel, Escher, Bach. Over my head kinda - I just can't seem to comprehend everything he's saying.

Surely that should be GEB?

I'm planning to wait for paperback or ebook, depending on which I end up getting. I may also exploit my local library at some point.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
emceng wrote:GED=Godel, Escher, Bach. Over my head kinda - I just can't seem to comprehend everything he's saying.

Surely that should be GEB?

I am dumb.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:51 pm UTC

Dark Avorian wrote:Holy sweet fuck. That was a bloodbath. Also bloody Mat cauthon for the win. And Androl.

This... Felt like GRRM took over for this book... But it is the last battle after all.

Also you must have stayed up late to finish.

Spoiler:
was it ever said right out that that Olvar might be gaidal? He's ugly, didn't like Birgitte at first, is a fighter now etc. Not to mention his new hero status.

Dark Avorian

Postby Dark Avorian » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:29 am UTC

Yeah, I bought the book at around 1, started reading at 2:30pm, and stayed up till 1am to finish. Fuck college work, Imma finish my childhood.

Spoiler:
I dunno, I didn't feel like GRRM was running the show. He's one for random senseless death. Most of the deaths here were fearsomely awesome, or totally understandable given the character flaws (#Gawyn). I have to say, I loved that Demandred was taken down by physical combat. It was so perfect for his character, he wants to prove HE is the best.

I also cried when Egwene finally realized the seals no longer were here duty, and took up the other mantle of Amyrlin, the flame of tar valon.

Also...THINKING WITH PORTALS!
The 62-foot tall statue of Jesus constructed out of styrofoam, wood and fiberglass resin caught on fire after the right hand of the statue was struck by lightning.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:51 am UTC

Spoiler:
I also cried when Egwene finally realized the seals no longer were here duty, and took up the other mantle of Amyrlin, the flame of tar valon.

Also...THINKING WITH PORTALS!

Yeah not afraid to admit I cried a few times... Well, fighting tears the entire second half of the book actually. Lost it with Bela. The horn kinda took me by surprise, though it shouldn't have, what with Mat dying and getting retconned, er, balefired back in the Gaebril fight a few books ago.

Was totally waiting for androl to invent the perpetual motion machine gun with a few portals and some boulders. Lava works though, was reminiscent of that one dwarf fortress play through I read about once.

I was imagining Perrin's fights in the wolf dream as an anime movie, that would rock.

douglasm

Postby douglasm » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:58 am UTC

Biliboy wrote:was it ever said right out that that Olvar might be gaidal? He's ugly, didn't like Birgitte at first, is a fighter now etc. Not to mention his new hero status.

Robert Jordan stated straight out several times that Olver is NOT Gaidal. He was born much too early. Time might get screwy sometimes in the World of Dreams, but never so much as to run backwards, and Olver was already alive when we saw Gaidal still walking around and chastising Birgitte for getting involved. That theory was officially sunk many years ago, and really should never have even started.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:09 am UTC

Slightly disappointing, feels like a loose thread. There's certainly room for more stories in this universe, maybe they'll open it up for an anthology or three to tie up loose ends and expand some of the stuff that seems missing, like do the tinkers find the song, and do Gardeners need stedding, and Gaul and his love life.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:01 am UTC

Just finished it today... Some thoughts (obviously major spoilers)

Spoiler:
The good news:

I think the scenes showing the Last Battle itself (the part fought by Mat and Co. at least, as well as the previous battles around Andor, the Borderlands, etc.) were very well done and suitably epic for the story. There were a couple of nice twists that I thought were quite brilliant--the fall of the great commanders, sophisticated uses of gateways, the appearance of the heavily-foreshadowed Demandred and the Sharan army, the intentional use of balefire to mess up the world, etc. I do wish that there had been more than just Trollocs and the occasional distant Dreadlord in the Dark One's armies though: Trollocs haven't been a real threat since the third book, so it's hard to treat them as such anymore. The relationship with Androl and Pevara, and the liberation of the Black Tower were all very entertaining. The chaos and small triumphs of various characters in the war were nicely played out. The story wrapped up most of the dangling threads in a sensible, if not always wholly satisfying, way.

The bad news:

I feel that the story basically abandoned any semblance of characterization in pursuit of plot. There were a lot of character reunions that had the opportunity to be really significant and heartfelt, but the story often rushed through those moments without really taking the time to appreciate their significance. Rand and Mat haven't seen each other since book 5 (I think) and get about a page together before rushing off. Likewise for Rand and Perrin. For all the fanfare of rescuing Moiraine, she was remarkably underused in the plot on any level. Despite splitting the book in three, I think that there was still probably too much material in this book for it to work really well--as I said, I thought the Last Battle in Mellinor was good, but the battle in the Blight received little attention, and the battle between Rand and the Dark One even less.

I was very disappointed by the death of Padan Fain. For being one of the most prolific villains of the entire series and for having such great strength and interesting abilities, he only showed up a few pages before the end of the book and left just as quickly in a rather anti-climactic way. Likewise, I would have liked to have seen Moridin have a more interesting role, and, for that matter, Shadar Haran, who was entirely absent. Demandred got the starring villain role; unfortunately, isn't nearly as interesting as the other two, if, for no other reason, than that he hasn't really been in the story at all prior to this point in any significant way. Having him fight three consecutive duels against characters he had never met in the series was not particularly inspired, or, at least in the cases of Galad and Lan who wouldn't be able to easily slip through the Sharan lines, particularly realistic. I think there were lots of ways that this book could have been written that would have been much better than what was produced.

[edit]Almost forgot... No mention of the "great treasure trove" of knowledge and wisdom that Verin had offered to Egwene? That was one of the better scenes, and twists, in the whole series and it went nowhere.

Overall, it's a decent conclusion to the series, but not a fantastic one. I'd say it's probably a slightly above-average book compared to others in the series, but by no means one of the best. Indeed, I think both of Sanderson's previous entries to the series were superior.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:44 am UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Just finished it today... Some thoughts (obviously major spoilers)

Spoiler:
Shadar Haran, who was entirely absent.
Spoiler:
I assumed the Myrddraal corpse beside Moridin when Rand first gets to the pit in Shayol Ghul was Shadar Haran.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:14 pm UTC

I have to agree for the most part:
Spoiler:
The end was ok, not great. Tied up many loose ends, but also left some out there. Definitely agree about Fain. Had him in the back of my mind half the book, he shows up for a few pages, then done.

I personally think it would have made more sense for Egwene to survive and Rand to die, but I guess that's not quite as 'feel good' an ending. There were the random deaths that were disappointing, but understandable(Siuan and Bryne).

Really, I think it could have been expanded a little - more character development, less battle. Or perhaps, the earlier battles shifted towards the end of the previous book.

Overall I think Sanderson's books got weaker. First was the best of the three.

The lack of resolution with the Aiel future vs the Seanchan is also a little annoying. Yeah, Rhuarc is dead, and other things have changed, but it's still unresolved.

dii

Postby dii » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

Just recently read it and here's my thoughts, spoilers obv.

Spoiler:
I have to agree with the others, the book wasn't great. I have a nagging feeling that Jordan would have ended it better. But who knows...

It still seems like this book should have been two books, to me it feels like it was forcibly crammed with too much stuff. Feels like it would have been two books but with all the previous extensions of the series, maybe the author/publisher/both were afraid that the fans would not take it well if they'd announced "oh, sorry guys, I know we said this was last but actually, one more book". But I think they should have been bold and done it regardless, because this way things just happen way too fast, everything just gets so rushed towards the end, and it would have been nice to get some epilogue. Some afterwards stuff, show Rand spending quality time with his polyamorous family. And especially, Mat & Tuon's relationship could have been nice to see fleshed out in the future. I mean, when you've read a series for a decade or longer, and expect some sort of resolution and/or catharsis, it feels a bit lackluster that it ends right after the big battle.

Rand's battle with the Dark One was cliché. And the dragging out with the time dilation trick was kind of silly IMHO, I thought it'd been better if they'd just have moved it further in the story instead, but YMMV.

I also hate it that Egwene died. Seemed totally unnecessary to me. I don't have a problem with killing main characters when it serves some kind of purpose, but this just seemed like a stupid death. Also, all the deaths seemed to happen in pairs - no mourning widows left behind. It got to the point that when someone would die, if that someone was in a relationship you'd know the other party would soon die too. Gawyn & Egwene, Siuan & Bryne, etc. Galad seemed like he'd break the pattern but then he survived after all - probably because Sanderson couldn't figure out a good way to off Berelain... Why? What was the point of this? I don't get it.

Btw. Did anyone else notice this was the first WoT book where male-to-male homosexuality was mentioned - twice, even? I'm a bit two minds of this - part of me feels it's nice they're making the effort to be inclusive, but another part of me is kind of meh, why bother when the series is at its end already... too little too late.

Edit.

LaserGuy wrote:Just finished it today... Some thoughts (obviously major spoilers)

Spoiler:
[edit]Almost forgot... No mention of the "great treasure trove" of knowledge and wisdom that Verin had offered to Egwene? That was one of the better scenes, and twists, in the whole series and it went nowhere.

Spoiler:
Did I forget or miss something, or wasn't the "treasure" that Verin left to Egwene just the names of the Black Ajah members? Which she used to purge the tower?

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

dii wrote:Edit.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Did I forget or miss something, or wasn't the "treasure" that Verin left to Egwene just the names of the Black Ajah members? Which she used to purge the tower?

Spoiler:
Not just the names, but also as many of their other secrets as she'd been able to uncover - an entire secret history, forgotten weaves, locations caches of angreal and ter'angreal and their uses - whatever secrets she could uncover

dii

Postby dii » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:56 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
dii wrote:Edit.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Not just the names, but also as many of their other secrets as she'd been able to uncover - an entire secret history, forgotten weaves, locations caches of angreal and ter'angreal and their uses - whatever secrets she could uncover

Spoiler:
Oh ok, yeah, that stuff definitely got left as unsolved. Almost like a red herring I'd say. Although you could argue that once the last battle is over, there's really no pressing need for the tower to get their hands on these things. One could also assume that Egwene had put contingencies in place, so that her follower would find that information.

What really bugs me about the ending is that we don't get to see Elayne's kids, or Aviendha's, we don't get to see what Elayne does with the angreal seed she got from Rand, or any of that stuff.

Also, what's up with, right in the end, where Rand notices he can't channel anymore and then lights his pipe with some kind of thought magic? Can he now use world-of-dreams stuff in the real world or what? Infuriatingly ambiguous.

douglasm

Postby douglasm » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

dii wrote:
Spoiler:
Also, what's up with, right in the end, where Rand notices he can't channel anymore and then lights his pipe with some kind of thought magic? Can he now use world-of-dreams stuff in the real world or what? Infuriatingly ambiguous.

Exactly as Robert Jordan intended. He wrote that scene himself, and deliberately left no explanation in his notes.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

Yeah, from what I've read a number of the more confusing things were left in exactly as RJ had written and most of the time Brandon Sanderson knows no more than us.

I'm happy with that, though, a little mystery is nice and lots of room for interesting discussion.

Dark Avorian

Postby Dark Avorian » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

I loved that. I think after watching the entire cosmological battle in total detail, it's worthwhile to leave a mystery.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:56 am UTC

I'm planning to scribble down my thoughts on the book and the series (and inflict said thoughts on you lot here, of course) soon enough - I preordered the last book, and took a day off work to read it ASAP. But before I do that, just wanted to reply to this:
dii wrote:Btw. Did anyone else notice this was the first WoT book where male-to-male homosexuality was mentioned - twice, even? I'm a bit two minds of this - part of me feels it's nice they're making the effort to be inclusive, but another part of me is kind of meh, why bother when the series is at its end already... too little too late.

I can try and find quotes for this if you like, but in interviews I understand Robert Jordan said that male homosexuality was normal enough in the WoT world, that it happened and wasn't a big deal for people, but that it just hadn't happened on screen. Most (all?) of the same sex relationships that did show up in the series were in the White Tower, with the excuse that it was a convent full of adolescent girls, it would be a real effort to hide it.

The impression I got (armchair psychology warning) was that RJ wasn't entirely comfortable writing male homosexual relationships, but that he was okay with them or that he wanted to be. Perhaps didn't trust himself to write it properly? Or perhaps it was like nudity: there is plenty of female nudity "on screen" in the series, but male nudity tends to just be alluded to. And so I was really pleased to see Brandon throw it in casually. Didn't make a big deal about it (if you weren't paying attention to it specifically, it was like the reveal of who killed Asmodean, actually somewhat subtle.).

There were people (fans) to whom it was a big deal, and to (at least some of) them those two mentions were much appreciated.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

Just finished aMoL so it's time for a bump!
Spoiler:
Yay, so good!

I have very few problems with the ending. I really like that there was no 20-years-later epilogue or whatever. For one thing, we already got that with Aviendha's flashforwards. And we also got it a little bit with the first dream-pattern-vision that Rand designs in Shayol Ghul. The changes to those visions are very easy to imagine. The important thing is that for several years there will be peace. After that, who knows? Maybe the Seanchan stop collaring channelers, maybe not. Really, there are alternate universes/patterns so both of those things happen.

I think Rand is a Pattern-master or Light Incarnate or whatever, and that's enough of an explanation for me. The real question is... what's his life expectancy?

I didn't like Gawyn's and Galad's deaths. I had thought Gawyn was a MUCH better fighter than he turned out to be. Seriously, Galad and Lan both put up better fights than Gawyn with 3 rings??? I guess Demandred could see through the ring's illusion, but still... it seemed like Demandred was having a hard time only because of the rings. I would have been happier if those first two duels weren't shown, that way I couldn't directly compare Lan's victory with the two failures. I would just assume something unexpected went wrong, and not that Gawyn just sucks at swordfighting.

Also, is Perrin the "man whose family was taken from him but still stood against the shadow"? All the other characters were easy to peg except that one. It would have made much more sense if Faile died.

dii wrote:What really bugs me about the ending is that we don't get to see Elayne's kids, or Aviendha's, we don't get to see what Elayne does with the angreal seed she got from Rand, or any of that stuff.
But that's so easy!

"Elayne's and Aviendha's kids are born. They do kid-like things. They wish they had a father, but their mothers love them very much, so that's nice. They all have their own unique personalities, so sometimes they clash, but most of the time they get along swimmingly."

"Also, Elayne uses the angreal seed to make powerful angreals. There are a couple other young aes sedai who also have the talent, and they make angreals too. However, Elayne's are the most powerful."
-Adam

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:45 pm UTC

Obv. aMoL spoilers.

Adam H wrote:
Spoiler:
I have very few problems with the ending. I really like that there was no 20-years-later epilogue or whatever. For one thing, we already got that with Aviendha's flashforwards. And we also got it a little bit with the first dream-pattern-vision that Rand designs in Shayol Ghul. The changes to those visions are very easy to imagine. The important thing is that for several years there will be peace. After that, who knows? Maybe the Seanchan stop collaring channelers, maybe not. Really, there are alternate universes/patterns so both of those things happen.

Spoiler:
I agree. I hate flashforward epilogues, actually. I think that we've been given just enough context from visions and various discussions between the characters that we have a decent idea of what things will look like. As much as I dislike how the Seanchan plotline was resolved, I have to admit that leaving a question there about whether or not there will be any sort of long-term peace is quite realistic, but rather they end up with more of a Cold War situation between the allied nations and the Seanchan.

Adam H wrote:
Spoiler:
I didn't like Gawyn's and Galad's deaths. I had thought Gawyn was a MUCH better fighter than he turned out to be. Seriously, Galad and Lan both put up better fights than Gawyn with 3 rings??? I guess Demandred could see through the ring's illusion, but still... it seemed like Demandred was having a hard time only because of the rings. I would have been happier if those first two duels weren't shown, that way I couldn't directly compare Lan's victory with the two failures. I would just assume something unexpected went wrong, and not that Gawyn just sucks at swordfighting.

Spoiler:
Yeah, this was just terrible. While I suppose that there had to be something appropriate for them to do, I don't think that fighting Demandred was the right place for either Gawyn or Galad. Or really Lan, actually. If someone had to kill Demandred in this manner, my choices would have been Tam al'Thor, Mat, or Rand, in that order. I think Tam would have been by far the best choice.

As an aside, I read a review the other day that suggested that the entire WoT series probably would have been much better had the Seanchan not been in it at all. Any thoughts? My immediate thought was that yes, it would have culled off a lot of bloat to the series and made it tighter, which would probably have been very nice, but, OTOH, in many ways the Seanchan are better antagonists than the Dark One because they're real people with believable goals and expectations about the world, and can't just be mindlessly destroyed like a bunch of trollocs can.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:As an aside, I read a review the other day that suggested that the entire WoT series probably would have been much better had the Seanchan not been in it at all. Any thoughts? My immediate thought was that yes, it would have culled off a lot of bloat to the series and made it tighter, which would probably have been very nice, but, OTOH, in many ways the Seanchan are better antagonists than the Dark One because they're real people with believable goals and expectations about the world, and can't just be mindlessly destroyed like a bunch of trollocs can.
Without the Seanchan, the series would have been much more cliche. It would have been a very straightforward story. Depending on how you like your epics, I suppose this could be a good thing; me, I like it bloated and complicated. :)
-Adam

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:As an aside, I read a review the other day that suggested that the entire WoT series probably would have been much better had the Seanchan not been in it at all. Any thoughts? My immediate thought was that yes, it would have culled off a lot of bloat to the series and made it tighter, which would probably have been very nice, but, OTOH, in many ways the Seanchan are better antagonists than the Dark One because they're real people with believable goals and expectations about the world, and can't just be mindlessly destroyed like a bunch of trollocs can.

Without the Seanchan, the series would have been much more cliche. It would have been a very straightforward story. Depending on how you like your epics, I suppose this could be a good thing; me, I like it bloated and complicated. :)

I have nothing against complexity per se; as I said, I think the Seanchan are interesting, believable antagonists. They're also passably competent, unlike most of the forces of the Dark One. I think it's hard to argue that the series doesn't have an awful lot of filler/bloat that probably could have been pared down. Though I have to admit, it's not the Seanchan scenes that usually come to mind when I think of bloat--a book's worth of Andoran politics, Aes Sedai backbiting, Perrin wandering the wilderness, the glacially paced Ebou Dar subplot, etc. probably could be cut from the series with more minimal disruption to the overall narrative.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:I think it's hard to argue that the series doesn't have an awful lot of filler/bloat that probably could have been pared down.
Sure; I would only argue that the series doesn't have an awful lot of filler/bloat for my taste.
-Adam

Return to “Books”